gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681316 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 09:49:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1071887 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

Ah yup there they are.  Thanks. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 19, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »

Bruce wearing shorts!

His way of saying 'screw you smileysmilers' IMO! Grin
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »

I like the logo.  Sure, it's outdated, but so is

. the band members
. their voices
. their style
. love songs
. doo wop songs
. pinky rings
. admitting to being a fan of rosemary clooney whenever asked

So in other words, I think the logo sums the band up well.  What else is a logo supposed to do?  Can't wait for this album!

The logo is like the Brother indian-- except that the latter is a work of art. I think it has to stay. Along with the surfboards, the barefeet and everything else. Where did this mani come from?... the urge to change everything surrounding the very essence of the band in order to make it appealing to the non-believers.

So far, everything --Brother logo, interviews, photos, etc.- has been managed in a classy way. Those pictures rule, and so does the 50th. Ann. logo.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »

interesting that amazon.com is listing 17.78 for the price.  One, that's a weird price.  Two, why so expensive if it's just a single disc album?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »

interesting that amazon.com is listing 17.78 for the price.  One, that's a weird price.  Two, why so expensive if it's just a single disc album?

It's a placeholder. Bet you it's down to $9.99 by release day.

Also, the pictures are great. Trying to remember the last formal group shots -- were they back in 85? I kind of think they were. Odd that some folks look better!

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »

Could have been a classic "jardine".  Grin

LOL

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 20, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »

Well I guess the last promo shots featuring Brian with the group would probably be 1988/1989, Still Cruisin' era.

I gotta say Brian looks pretty cool in the first pic, almost somewhat Lindsey Buckingham-esque. He looks good in the second one too, but the Hawaiian shirt look does the group no favors. Brian did seem to age quite quickly in the beginning of the '90s and I'm sure it had a bit to do with the work of Gene Landy. However, recently its seemed he kinda has a bit of that refined look back, especially in these newer photos with the other boys.

This photo however, yuck. Nice hair, Al? And what is up with Bruce's scrunchface smile? It seems to get worse as the years go by. Its super annoying, and it always bothers me when I see photos with him looking like that, cuz it makes him look older, and the group look cheesier, in my opinion.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »

Well I guess the last promo shots featuring Brian with the group would probably be 1988/1989, Still Cruisin' era.

I gotta say Brian looks pretty cool in the first pic, almost somewhat Lindsey Buckingham-esque. He looks good in the second one too, but the Hawaiian shirt look does the group no favors.

Seeing as the 2nd shot is a promo for the 25th anniversary TV (not so-)special shot in Hawaii, I'd say your point is mooter than a moot thing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »

My only comment is that Al's long hair never worked, neither does colouring.

Sing if you're glad to be grey!  Grow old with gra(y)ce.

Al's one of my top nine Beach Boys, as are the others, so I say this in good spirit.

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 20, 2012, 02:57:43 AM »

I remember Bruce commenting on that second shot 5 plus years ago on the brit board. I'm sure he said it was taken right after the show and was never authorised by the band. He was a bit peeved. I got the impression it was more of a fan shot.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 20, 2012, 05:42:46 AM »

I bet Brian had just had a facelift before the B&W picture with Al and Bruce sitting back to back. I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking "what happened to his face?". But then Mike's skin looks funny also.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 20, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »

I gotta say Brian looks pretty cool in the first pic, almost somewhat Lindsey Buckingham-esque. He looks good in the second one too, but the Hawaiian shirt look does the group no favors.

Seeing as the 2nd shot is a promo for the 25th anniversary TV (not so-)special shot in Hawaii, I'd say your point is mooter than a moot thing.

Ah. Well that would explain the change in their looks.

Btw, is the 3rd pic from the Summer in Paradise era? That was the only formal promo shot I've been able to find for that era, as far as I know.

And I think my point would still stand, saying that there were promo shots after the 1985 album. But thanks Andrew, it feels good feeling the wrath of the might AGD, haha.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »

I gotta say Brian looks pretty cool in the first pic, almost somewhat Lindsey Buckingham-esque. He looks good in the second one too, but the Hawaiian shirt look does the group no favors. Brian did seem to age quite quickly in the beginning of the '90s and I'm sure it had a bit to do with the work of Gene Landy. However, recently its seemed he kinda has a bit of that refined look back, especially in these newer photos with the other boys.

I think that "refined" look comes down to owning where he is now. Brian, or his management/promotional people, are accepting where he is looks and age-wise and making the best of it. They've finally stopped trying so hard to make him look younger or hip. Age appropriate is the best look for anyone. All the boys have looked great in these shots with their natural looks and classic button downs in saturated colors.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »

This photo however, yuck. Nice hair, Al? And what is up with Bruce's scrunchface smile? It seems to get worse as the years go by. Its super annoying, and it always bothers me when I see photos with him looking like that, cuz it makes him look older, and the group look cheesier, in my opinion.

The hawaiian shirts the group were wearing the second photo and the tv special were from their short lived "HOBO" clothing line from 86-87, designed by Sherry Holt (thus the HOBO moniker)

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 20, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »

A new interview with Al:

http://theadvocate.com/utility/homepagestories/2599661-129/beach-boys-starting-reunion-tour
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

Thanks Tord.

“We’re still doing song selection right now,” Jardine said. “There’s a lot to choose from. It feels like Pet Sounds to me. It has that deep, thoughtful kind of relationship-based theme.

Shocked Grin

"....There are a couple of cute little islandy songs on there, too.”

Shocked Undecided

“That’s Why God Made the Radio” will be the album’s first single, Jardine said. “Brian loves the radio, so that was something he came up with. It’s got a lot of lush harmonies, a very beautiful song.”

Huh

“We’re putting a Beach Boys stamp on ‘Waves of Love’ for this new Beach Boys album or, if not this album, the follow-up album. It’s a really cool song. It reminds of ‘Do It Again.’ ”

Shocked Shocked

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:05:28 AM by Justin » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #1316 on: April 20, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »

Thanks Tord.

“We’re still doing song selection right now,” Jardine said. “There’s a lot to choose from. It feels like Pet Sounds to me. It has that deep, thoughtful kind of relationship-based theme.

Shocked Grin

Shocked Undecided

“That’s Why God Made the Radio” will be the album’s first single, Jardine said. “Brian loves the radio, so that was something he came up with. It’s got a lot of lush harmonies, a very beautiful song.”

Huh

Al's quote suggests that Brian did indeed have some sort of role in writing TWGMTR. Do you think that 'islandy songs' = Beaches In Mind?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 20, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »

Thanks Tord.

Shocked Grin

Shocked Undecided

Huh

Al's quote suggests that Brian did indeed have some sort of role in writing TWGMTR. Do you think that 'islandy songs' = Beaches In Mind?

Islands in the Sun

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 20, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »

Al's quote suggests that Brian did indeed have some sort of role in writing TWGMTR.
Guess it's like saying: Brian came up with (our distinct version of) Sloop John B.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »

It may support the idea that Brian came up with some part of the song but Al makes it seem that he wrote the entire thing...which we know isn't true.  So it seems that Al doesn't know much about the song's original history and/or origins.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

So it seems that Al doesn't know much about the song's original history and/or origins.
Or he's putting it like that for promotional reasons. Who knows. Maybe Brian came up with a serious make-over for the tune.
Paulos
« Reply #1321 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »

C'mon guys, we all know that if Al says something it must be true, e.g. The Smile Sessions, 50th AnniveReunion Tour.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

So it seems that Al doesn't know much about the song's original history and/or origins.
Or he's putting it like that for promotional reasons. Who knows. Maybe Brian came up with a serious make-over for the tune.

Perhaps so.  Would be great to know that all the stories we heard about this song involved a very early draft and Brian had completely rewrote it since then.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 20, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

C'mon guys, we all know that if Al says something it must be true, e.g. The Smile Sessions, 50th AnniveReunion Tour.

True...if so, then we apparently have a "follow-up" album to look forward to.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

You're right. Which also means: the Boys will definitely carry on after the reunion year and at least record another LP.  Head Spin
That Jardine guy is a brilliant one-man guerilla promotional machine, that's what he is.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx