gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681099 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:53:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067898 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »

Bruce has always said he writes like Brian - The Nearest Faraway Place being his stab at a Pet Sounds-esque instrumental, and he mentioned something along the lines of 'we needed songs like Brian Wilson wrote songs, but Brian wasn't writing them' in reference to Disney Girls (I think in Endless Harmony, although I'm probably wrong).

Bruce writes schlock, but musically speaking it's very advanced shlock - Tears In The Morning certainly could have been written by Brian, say (if you ignore the lyrics)

That's something that has always frustrated me about Bruce - he's got the musical ability in spades, but has essentially wasted it on cheesy schlock (albeit a few of them are gems).  I would kill to hear a Bruce/Brian collaboration, I think that could sound really great.

Well here ya go:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWR_qL_mxo0

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 11, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »

Yeah, I knew there was another bit in the interview that I wanted to highlight but forgot. Al seems keen on doing on “Our Prayer” on the tour. Brian’s band did it every night for several tours, so I’m pretty sure they could do it on this tour and just add in the actual BB voices as well.

I'd love to see them do it, but only if they kept the sidemen out of it - I want to hear the Beach Boys themselves, ragged old voices and all, sing it by themselves (in a lower key, obviously).  Otherwise, I feel like it might turn into something like the performance at the baseball game yesterday, i.e. the Boys singing with 4 crutches next to them.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Bruce has always said he writes like Brian - The Nearest Faraway Place being his stab at a Pet Sounds-esque instrumental, and he mentioned something along the lines of 'we needed songs like Brian Wilson wrote songs, but Brian wasn't writing them' in reference to Disney Girls (I think in Endless Harmony, although I'm probably wrong).

Bruce writes schlock, but musically speaking it's very advanced shlock - Tears In The Morning certainly could have been written by Brian, say (if you ignore the lyrics)

That's something that has always frustrated me about Bruce - he's got the musical ability in spades, but has essentially wasted it on cheesy schlock (albeit a few of them are gems).  I would kill to hear a Bruce/Brian collaboration, I think that could sound really great.

Should have clarified, meant on the new album.  Maybe they could recapture some of the magic they found on "Deirdre."
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 13, 2012, 02:37:54 AM »

Should have clarified, meant on the new album.  Maybe they could recapture some of the magic they found on "Deirdre."

If anything on the new album approaches Sunflower standards I'll be surprised and delighted.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »

I think Brian still has the production and sound down enough that the weak point will be the lyrics.  I'm very happy with the way Brian's two cover albums sounded, I listen to them all the time... but his solo albums in many ways have suffered because the lyrics are so hit and miss.  If one of the guys writes a decent song, or Brian does, I'm confident it'll end up well arranged and produced.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: April 14, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

I think Scott Bennett is Brian's best collaborator in years, so if Brian writes with someone other than Mike I hope it's him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

I think Scott Bennett is Brian's best collaborator in years, so if Brian writes with someone other than Mike I hope it's him.

Me too. Sadly, the latest collaborators seem to be Jeff and Joe.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: April 15, 2012, 03:39:42 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/New-Release-2012-Beach-Boys/dp/B007U1FEJE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334480775&sr=1-1

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 15, 2012, 03:42:25 AM »

Audio CD (June 5, 2012)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Capitol

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 15, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »

Well I finally dreamt about hearing the new tunes
Paulos
« Reply #1185 on: April 15, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »

This is clearly fake, if the reunion album was really going to be released in early June (7 weeks from now), then the album would have a title and track listing, the album would be at CD pressing plants in the manufacturing stage, reviewers would have reviewer's test pressings or promotional CD's, and distributors would now be accepting preorders from dealers, and online dealers would be accepting preorders from consumers. None of these things are happening. Until those things happen, there is no reunion album in the foreseeable future.

Sorry, I was possessed by Phil for a minute there...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 15, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »

This is clearly fake, if the reunion album was really going to be released in early June (7 weeks from now), then the album would have a title and track listing, the album would be at CD pressing plants in the manufacturing stage, reviewers would have reviewer's test pressings or promotional CD's, and distributors would now be accepting preorders from dealers, and online dealers would be accepting preorders from consumers. None of these things are happening. Until those things happen, there is no reunion album in the foreseeable future.

Absolutely. This has no bearing at all on the promised archival releases. In fact if anything the fact that the new album is possibly at the pressing plant only serves to emphasise the fact that archival releases are becoming less likely by the day.  By very definition an archival release is one that is older than a new release. As the new album would now appear to be being pressed, that means older archival ones cannot be pressed in its wake, as anything pressed subsequent to a new album can only be newer than the new album, and therefore not archival in nature. Hence, anything pressed after the new album must be defined as a newer album.  If Mr Doe were to claim that the Beach Boys are to release successive new albums throughout 2012 I would be inclined to believe him. However, his refusal to admit that the band has recorded more than one new album for 2012 only serves to alienate himself and the band from the fans even more. In conclusion, his complicit collusion with Capitol confirms lots of other alliterative words beginning with "C" that I just don't have the energy to think of right now. The only conclusion one can draw therefore is that someone has to disappear up his own arse before the rain of mockery beginneth.

“We live in divisive times.”
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: April 15, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »

Wow, what an imaginative titlle! New Release is gonna be great!  LOL

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 15, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »

This just proves it: No new album, ever.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »

*Chortles and Snorts*  LOL
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 15, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »

If anything on the new album approaches Sunflower standards I'll be surprised and delighted.

The thing about Sunflower is that the album was produced SO DAMN WELL that it's just timeless. Like Pet Sounds.

I think that sound could be found here... If Brian's up to the challenge...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: April 15, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »

The thing about Sunflower is that the album was produced SO DAMN WELL that it's just timeless. Like Pet Sounds.

Produced and engineered so well.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

Produced and engineered so well.

Absolutely, thanks for reminding me :D

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 15, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

Why doesn't Brian employ Desper these days anyway? They seemed to work amazingly well together!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »

There most certainly is a reunion album in the foreseeable future.
http://ESQuarterly.com/merchandise.html#spring2012 Be sure to order the new edition of the world's leading #BeachBoys publication, Endless Summer Quarterly.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 15, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »

So is it out?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 15, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

Amazon also has a vinyl release listed for the new album. That makes me happy to see.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »

Oh sh*t, excited now  Grin Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »

I wonder if there's gonna be some deluxe version with a DVD.  I kinda just want regular cd and vinyl
Paulos
« Reply #1199 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:32 AM »

There most certainly is a reunion album in the foreseeable future.
http://ESQuarterly.com/merchandise.html#spring2012 Be sure to order the new edition of the world's leading #BeachBoys publication, Endless Summer Quarterly.

I know David, I was just joking and had copied and pasted a Phil Cohen rant from another thread for comedic effect.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx