gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681337 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 07:42:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1072156 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

By the way I'm really eagerly awaiting the next post from wirestone. If you're reading this wirestone, lets get this thread back into productive territory with a solid post.

Tongue And I was saving up all these mafia jokes! It might be a day or two, I'm afraid. Things are getting busy in these parts.

Take your time my friend. In the mean time I'll continue to obsessively listen to 15 Big Ones.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »

Heads up from BW.com.

New Rolling Stone magazine article about upcoming new Beach Boys album

(posted by Tom Tobben on March 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm)

The new April 12 issue of Rolling Stone has a capsule article about the upcoming Beach Boys album, due for release in June. I couldn't find a link to the article, so here it is the full text of the article:

Spring Music Preview section of RS Issue #1154

The Beach Boys
Title TBD -- June

"It's a sentimental thing for me," Brian Wilson says of the Beach Boys' first all-new studio LP in decades. "We've been together 50 years -- that's a long time." Since reuniting last year, the surviving members have recorded more than a dozen new tunes at L.A.'s Ocean Way studios -- where they cut "Good Vibrations" and much of Pet Sounds in the Sixties. Expect lots of big harmonies and familiar subjects on songs like the mellow rocker "Beaches in Mind" and the nonstalgic ballad "That's Why God Made the Radio."

"Conceptually, the album is not going to be anything outlandish or silly like Smiley Smile -- it will be like the Beach Boys circa '65," adds Mike Love. "I'm trying to write lyrics that fit the music without making it sound like you're writing from a hospice."

-- Patrick Doyle

Got this issue in the mail last week and found it cool that in addition to the short write-up in the Spring Music Preview (which, unlike most of the write ups, includes a photo and is in a separate highlighted box), the Beach Boys are also listed on the cover.  I'm thinking it's probably been a close to zillion years since the words "Beach Boys" have appeared on the cover of (the) Rolling Stone.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1127 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »

Maybe they've all grown tits and are wearing bikinis.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 04, 2012, 03:40:29 AM »

Earcandy?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »

Earcandy?

LOL

I'd be psychologically damaged after seeing such a photoshopped image.

I got that RS issue too; I love how the 3 main headlines aren't about music at all...what a garbage magazine.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 04, 2012, 04:45:29 AM »

We need Earcandy to make a serious mock album cover along with humor pictures.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »

We need Earcandy to make a serious mock album cover along with humor pictures.

Yeah. Remember the SMiLE-Mobile?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1132 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

Hopefully Earcandy has been too busy to come on here because he's got employment which utilises his talents both for Photoshop and satire.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »

Group sex...? Evil

EDIT: A Google search of "Beach Boys group sex" does NOT turn up the desired results LOL

Hmm…   has no-one else here read "Endless Summer – My Life With The Beach Boys" by Jack Lloyd? Possibly the grottiest piece of turd-wrangling cash-in that's marred my shelves.  Not pleasant and not respectful either.
Can you give a sanitized summary of events in the book? Wink

To be honest I'd rather not. A summary might involve reading sections again and reading this dirt about the band I regard as heroes wasn't pleasant first time around. The book itself isn't a nice contribution to the BBs' story.  I'm not normally squeamish but this just wasn't pleasant…

(and now that I've written that, watch its sales soar on Amazon…   Roll Eyes   )   Sad

Buy Peter Carlin's book, or Jon's FAQ for the important stuff that counts, please…

I've heard good and bad on this book, and it's been on my "to read" shelf since I bought it( I'm WAY behind; reading is a distant last from everything else in life)
But having just doen some skimming, it doesn't seem that bad. The BBs were human on tour. yeah. disgusting. huh?
Guess I'll have to take the time to read it.

Having just finished reading the book, I have to say it's really not that bad. It does jump around and there seem to be problems  with his memories, at least as far as what shows took place in what order; other than that he says the Beach Boys did drugs, and had sex with people while on the road (which I have to believe they did) it's not a terrible book. It's easy to read. It's all told( obviously) from the authors viewpoint, and centers( mostly) on what he did while with the BBs. Which is what I'd expect.
Me, I don't know if the things he wrote all happened, or happened the way he wrote them, but it didn't hurt me to read it.
However:  If what you want to read is a book about the BBs that doesn't show them to be real people, who did things that don't fit the Pat Boone image,  then yeah, don't read this.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 06, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »

Group sex...? Evil

EDIT: A Google search of "Beach Boys group sex" does NOT turn up the desired results LOL

Hmm…   has no-one else here read "Endless Summer – My Life With The Beach Boys" by Jack Lloyd? Possibly the grottiest piece of turd-wrangling cash-in that's marred my shelves.  Not pleasant and not respectful either.
Can you give a sanitized summary of events in the book? Wink

To be honest I'd rather not. A summary might involve reading sections again and reading this dirt about the band I regard as heroes wasn't pleasant first time around. The book itself isn't a nice contribution to the BBs' story.  I'm not normally squeamish but this just wasn't pleasant…

(and now that I've written that, watch its sales soar on Amazon…   Roll Eyes   )   Sad

Buy Peter Carlin's book, or Jon's FAQ for the important stuff that counts, please…

I've heard good and bad on this book, and it's been on my "to read" shelf since I bought it( I'm WAY behind; reading is a distant last from everything else in life)
But having just doen some skimming, it doesn't seem that bad. The BBs were human on tour. yeah. disgusting. huh?
Guess I'll have to take the time to read it.

Having just finished reading the book, I have to say it's really not that bad. It does jump around and there seem to be problems  with his memories, at least as far as what shows took place in what order; other than that he says the Beach Boys did drugs, and had sex with people while on the road (which I have to believe they did) it's not a terrible book. It's easy to read. It's all told( obviously) from the authors viewpoint, and centers( mostly) on what he did while with the BBs. Which is what I'd expect.
Me, I don't know if the things he wrote all happened, or happened the way he wrote them, but it didn't hurt me to read it.
However:  If what you want to read is a book about the BBs that doesn't show them to be real people, who did things that don't fit the Pat Boone image,  then yeah, don't read this.

You mean to tell me they don't sh*t vanilla ice cream? I'm shocked, revolted, and disgusted.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 06, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

Nope, they sh*t chocolate ice cream, just like everybody else.  Wink

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »

Ugh!!!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 06, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »

Earcandy?

LOL

I'd be psychologically damaged after seeing such a photoshopped image.

I got that RS issue too; I love how the 3 main headlines aren't about music at all...what a garbage magazine.

I love the magazine, but no, not generally for it's music coverage.  They've probably had the best coverage of the financial meltdown of any magazine or publication.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 07, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

The Spring 2012 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly features interviews with Mike, Brian, Al and David.

Plus articles from Peter Reum and Andrew G. Doe.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 07, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

The Spring 2012 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly features interviews with Mike, Brian, Al and David.

Great. When does it mail?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: April 07, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

When are we finally going to get a press release for all these Beach Boys releases coming up?  Not just the new album, but also the "commemorative releases" that were planned?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

It's got to be soon; on March 15th he said it would be a few weeks

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: April 09, 2012, 06:23:20 AM »

I just realized again how lucky we are that we'll get new material. Even Fogerty is now going he nostalgic re-recording way with his new album  Roll Eyes :

http://vanguardrecords.tumblr.com/post/20416127315/press-release-legendary-john-fogerty-to-release-new

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1143 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

Much as I love him, Fogerty has been revisiting old material for some time now.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

You think so, Ed?  Seems like he's done a few albums with original material the past few years. Only thing that's a blast from the past is the live CD/DVD from '97 and another one in 2005. That's what people want to hear, but I really like some of his originals from the last 10 years too.

A little surprised by this Vanguard label. I thought he re-signed with Fantasy (distributed by Concord) a few years ago.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: April 09, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »

He did one or two old songs on "Blue ridge ranger rides again" (Change in the weather) but iirc there were no re-recordings after that (and even before I can't think of any right now). Live recordings don't count imo 'cause in concert you play your hits, that's the way it is.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1146 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »

I didn't mean it that way, Mikie, just that a lot of his good new stuff doesn't sound too far away from his good old stuff. For some people, that would be a bad thing. Me? I love the guy.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:51 AM »

This week.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:48 AM »

Is it possible to buy a download version in pdf format of the current magazine?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 10, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »

Is it possible to buy a download version in pdf format of the current magazine?

I asked a few months ago and was told no. Annoying isn't it? Seems like it would be money for old rope on their part.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx