gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:20:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067915 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:41 AM »

maybe John Stamos' people had the article removed... LOL
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »

Group sex...? Evil

EDIT: A Google search of "Beach Boys group sex" does NOT turn up the desired results LOL
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:39:12 AM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: April 03, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »

Well, it appears "Read it Later" has come in handy for me... Here is the Probyn interview in its entirety. I doubt that the interview was taken down for any real reason, i.e. BRI being unhappy with it. If that's the case though, and someone from BRI is reading this, just PM me and I will delete this post.

This interview was taken down for a very good reason, so I feel your reposting it in full isn't going to be at all helpful bearing in mind that 9especially now) all related boards are monitored regularly. Suggest you delete this ASAP.
OK, done. Thanks for the heads-up.

- B00ts
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »

Group sex...? Evil

EDIT: A Google search of "Beach Boys group sex" does NOT turn up the desired results LOL

Dennis and the Mansonites?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

Group sex...? Evil

Hmm…   has no-one else here read "Endless Summer – My Life With The Beach Boys" by Jack Lloyd? Possibly the grottiest piece of turd-wrangling cash-in that's marred my shelves.  Not pleasant and not respectful either.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »

Group sex...? Evil

Hmm…   has no-one else here read "Endless Summer – My Life With The Beach Boys" by Jack Lloyd? Possibly the grottiest piece of turd-wrangling cash-in that's marred my shelves.  Not pleasant and not respectful either.
Can you give a sanitized summary of events in the book? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 03, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »

Group sex...? Evil

To be honest I'd rather not. A summary might involve reading sections again and reading this dirt about the band I regard as heroes wasn't pleasant first time around. The book itself isn't a nice contribution to the BBs' story.  I'm not normally squeamish but this just wasn't pleasant…

(and now that I've written that, watch its sales soar on Amazon…   Roll Eyes   )   Sad

Buy Peter Carlin's book, or Jon's FAQ for the important stuff that counts, please…

NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »

Well, it appears "Read it Later" has come in handy for me... Here is the Probyn interview in its entirety. I doubt that the interview was taken down for any real reason, i.e. BRI being unhappy with it. If that's the case though, and someone from BRI is reading this, just PM me and I will delete this post.

This interview was taken down for a very good reason, so I feel your reposting it in full isn't going to be at all helpful bearing in mind that 9especially now) all related boards are monitored regularly. Suggest you delete this ASAP.

The words that I've bolded and colored are the words that concern me.  I get the 'freedom of speech' argument, but I get the impression that this interview caused some grief among certain folks.  I wouldn't want there to be any problems either within the band, or with management because these words are again out there for all to see.  Here's another vote to please delete.  We now know that there are people here who have saved this interview, so if you haven't read it, perhaps you could PM the poster who posted it.  

The Beach Boys have experienced, let's see… physically and psychologically abusive parenting, drug addiction, alcoholism, death by cancer, death by drowning, nervous breakdowns, law suits, group sex, estrangement, infidelity, divorce, abusive doctors, mental illness, and plenty more.

I hope that, by now, their hides are tough enough to deal with a little honesty in an interview by a fellow musician, one who's very much admired and respected by their fans.

Just my 2p-worth.

This is basically what I was thinking. They've been to hell and back. A measly interview shouldn't matter one way or the other. You'd think they'd spend their time more wisely and on more serious issues than this. I appreciated Probyn's honesty when reading the interview; it was a very real perspective as opposed to sugar coating everything and practically lying. With books floating around like The Wilson Project and all of the information we have on the band's career and all of the things we know they've been through, I couldn't see what this interview entailed that has them on the frits trying to get rid of it.

But I do understand that the honesty could possibly keep them from certain opportunities that depend on outside forces. Just kind of stupid.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:02:06 AM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
SG7
« Reply #1108 on: April 03, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

Shame, I actually really liked that interview. It certainly gives the reader a candid glimpse into the proceedings. His stories about the Grammy proceedings were especially interesting.

"And the managements red glare, the red tape bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that censorship is still there..."  Grin
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:07:15 PM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 03, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

Yep, so incredibly stupid and dangerous that a person's words could vanish because of the whims and desires of a corporate entity.
Paulos
« Reply #1110 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »

Group sex...? Evil

More than anything I found that book boring beyond belief and the 'revelations' in it were few, I mean who'd have guessed that members of The Beach Boys had sex with groupies?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »

Yep, so incredibly stupid and dangerous that a person's words could vanish because of the whims and desires of a corporate entity.

You know, it is not really stupid or dangerous.  As another poster stated up thread, Probyn is technically an employee of the band. Employers do (very logically  and rightfully) have control over what their employees say about them in the media.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »

Ugh, I'm deleting what I wrote since I already have one thread dangling in Off Topics that I have no time to contribute to. Suffice it to say, I find that argument to be not very compelling or convincing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:16:17 PM by rockandroll » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 03, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

Group sex...? Evil

More than anything I found that book boring beyond belief and the 'revelations' in it were few, I mean who'd have guessed that members of The Beach Boys had sex with groupies?
But Carl and Al had been thought as family men. Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 03, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »

You know, it is not really stupid or dangerous.  As another poster stated up thread, Probyn is technically an employee of the band. Employers do (very logically  and rightfully) have control over what their employees say about them in the media.

Thought that kind of ownership of worker units went out with the Industrial Revoution...

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

You know, it is not really stupid or dangerous.  As another poster stated up thread, Probyn is technically an employee of the band. Employers do (very logically  and rightfully) have control over what their employees say about them in the media.

Thought that kind of ownership of worker units went out with the Industrial Revoution...

There's confidentiality clauses in certain contracts, for instance.

I don't know what the exact cause for the removal of this article: probably it was Brian's management. Maybe the people managing this celebration do not want positive reunion stuff along with stories about a man taking a pass at Brian while at a mental institution... Or what a crap of a time the Grammy Ceremony was.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: April 03, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

old news
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:01:15 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 03, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

That's what always made the the development between Smiley Smile and Friends so interesting to me. It's easy to discount this period, after all it represented the near total collapse of the band's popularity and commercial viability, and is usually seen as a haphazard grasping at musical straws by Brian. I can't help hearing something very intelligent going on during those 9 or so months however. A controlled process of self instruction and reorientation. He deconstructed his sound and started over from the ground level, instilling his music with a new economy and restraint along the way. I think it's a very impressive and disciplined evolution, at least that's how I've always interpreted things.

WOW, very nicely put, FM.  And, I agree totally.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 03, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »

That's what always made the the development between Smiley Smile and Friends so interesting to me. It's easy to discount this period, after all it represented the near total collapse of the band's popularity and commercial viability, and is usually seen as a haphazard grasping at musical straws by Brian. I can't help hearing something very intelligent going on during those 9 or so months however. A controlled process of self instruction and reorientation. He deconstructed his sound and started over from the ground level, instilling his music with a new economy and restraint along the way. I think it's a very impressive and disciplined evolution, at least that's how I've always interpreted things.

WOW, very nicely put, FM.  And, I agree totally.

Yes, I also think FM has a nice interpretation of things there. I'm not persuaded it was totally Brian's evolution, though.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 03, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »

Ugh, I'm deleting what I wrote since I already have one thread dangling in Off Topics that I have no time to contribute to. Suffice it to say, I find that argument to be not very compelling or convincing.

That's fine. I'm not here to convince anyone of what is wrong, right or indifferent. The simple  truth is that an employer has the legal right to  institute certain controls over what their employees say about THEM in media outlets. They can't control what people say, there is free speech, but they can have employees enter into agreements agreeng not to divulge information. They also have the right to terminate relationships. Now, like you, I'd really rather talk about the new album...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »

Group sex...? Evil

To be honest I'd rather not. A summary might involve reading sections again and reading this dirt about the band I regard as heroes wasn't pleasant first time around. The book itself isn't a nice contribution to the BBs' story.  I'm not normally squeamish but this just wasn't pleasant…

(and now that I've written that, watch its sales soar on Amazon…   Roll Eyes   )   Sad

Buy Peter Carlin's book, or Jon's FAQ for the important stuff that counts, please…

I've heard good and bad on this book, and it's been on my "to read" shelf since I bought it( I'm WAY behind; reading is a distant last from everything else in life)
But having just doen some skimming, it doesn't seem that bad. The BBs were human on tour. yeah. disgusting. huh?
Guess I'll have to take the time to read it.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 03, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »

Damn it all, I knew I should have saved that interview, didn't even get a chance to finish it. Anyone still have it saved and want to PM me? Sorry to turn it into one of "those" threads, but damn.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »

Damn it all, I knew I should have saved that interview, didn't even get a chance to finish it. Anyone still have it saved and want to PM me? Sorry to turn it into one of "those" threads, but damn.

It's being blown out of proportion at this point. I think the offending bit was like one sentence. Nothing very interesting in all honesty. If AGD hadn't of said anything it probably wouldn't have been too big a deal. AGD should know, the more you tell somebody they can't have something the more they want it.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »

By the way I'm really eagerly awaiting the next post from wirestone. If you're reading this wirestone, lets get this thread back into productive territory with a solid post.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »

By the way I'm really eagerly awaiting the next post from wirestone. If you're reading this wirestone, lets get this thread back into productive territory with a solid post.

Tongue And I was saving up all these mafia jokes! It might be a day or two, I'm afraid. Things are getting busy in these parts.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx