gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681311 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 09:03:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1071874 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »

He also says "I'm trying"

THIS is what i'm excited about.  I think Mike is motivated and doesn't want to screw this up.  He's capable of GREATNESS like we know Brian is.  The thought of Brian Wilson making music, and Mike love actually TRYING to write good lyrics for that song keeps me thinking of "Warmth of the Sun".  When so much of the Beach Boys music has been hit or miss, hearing that Brian and Mike are actually trying to make music together is very exciting to me.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »

Some of the fat boys are dead.  So that won't be happening.

Also "last beach boys album" isn't set in stone.  Nobody's said it's their last album.

Does anybody think "The Private life of Bill and Sue" sounds very Beatlish?  I dont' know if it's just because it makes me think of Eleanor Rigby, or what.  It sounds like something Paul or John would write....

with that said... perhaps the album DOES have a mid '60's vibe to it. 
Probebly because of ths song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAEE0JEgIM

Actually I've never heard that song by John.  It just seems like something he (or Paul) would write, though. 
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »

Im not really crazy about that Waves of Love sample. Doesn't sound 1965 to me in fact doesn't sound like a Beach Boys song of any era to me. Someone else said earlier it sounds like Status Quo. It also reaffirms my thought that just because Al's voice is most intact, doesn't mean I want a whole load of Al leads on th new album. I think he seems to be singing slightly beyond his range on that that song and it just grates a bit. I think Brian's voice may be different but he's still an emotive and engaging lead vocalist when he's trying and he's who I want to hear the most.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 29, 2012, 05:06:56 AM »

Im not really crazy about that Waves of Love sample. Doesn't sound 1965 to me in fact doesn't sound like a Beach Boys song of any era to me. Someone else said earlier it sounds like Status Quo. It also reaffirms my thought that just because Al's voice is most intact, doesn't mean I want a whole load of Al leads on th new album. I think he seems to be singing slightly beyond his range on that that song and it just grates a bit. I think Brian's voice may be different but he's still an emotive and engaging lead vocalist when he's trying and he's who I want to hear the most.

I don't know why Waves of Love should sound like a BB song of any particular era. Anyway, the track has a Goin' to the Beach feel to it. And, say what you want, I think it's great when Al sings in his higher range. It is exciting when he hits that high G, even if -or perhaps because- he strains a bit. And it's be great to hear many Brian leads on the new BB album, but I've heard plenty of them recently. I want to hear the other guys also. 

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »

Based on the 30-second sample, I don’t think “Waves of Love” sounds like 1965. But I don’t think that matters. I’m not concerned with what era a song sounds like or whether it “sounds like the Beach Boys” as much as I’m concerned with whether a song is good. “Waves of Love” sounds like at least a decent song, and it sounds well above average compared to BB or BW albums from the last 30 or so years. 

As for Al’s voice, I don’t think a BB album with all Al leads makes sense. But I hope they don’t take the guy with the strongest lead voice in the band and have him just sing on a song or two. Brian’s voice can still be engaging. It’s also not always in tip-top shape, and this is a Beach Boys album rather than a Brian Wilson album. I hope Brian had some leads on the album too, but I’d rather not have the album sound like Brian’s next solo album with BB backing vocals.

I hope they give Al leads where his voice suits the song. That is, rather than trying to politically divide up the lead vocals (e.g. Brian and Mike get four, Al gets two, Bruce gets one, etc.), they have whoever can sing the song best sing it. I think that would probably be Al in many cases, so I hope that is kept in mind on this new album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

Based on the 30-second sample, I don’t think “Waves of Love” sounds like 1965. But I don’t think that matters. I’m not concerned with what era a song sounds like or whether it “sounds like the Beach Boys” as much as I’m concerned with whether a song is good. “Waves of Love” sounds like at least a decent song, and it sounds well above average compared to BB or BW albums from the last 30 or so years. 

As for Al’s voice, I don’t think a BB album with all Al leads makes sense. But I hope they don’t take the guy with the strongest lead voice in the band and have him just sing on a song or two. Brian’s voice can still be engaging. It’s also not always in tip-top shape, and this is a Beach Boys album rather than a Brian Wilson album. I hope Brian had some leads on the album too, but I’d rather not have the album sound like Brian’s next solo album with BB backing vocals.

I hope they give Al leads where his voice suits the song. That is, rather than trying to politically divide up the lead vocals (e.g. Brian and Mike get four, Al gets two, Bruce gets one, etc.), they have whoever can sing the song best sing it. I think that would probably be Al in many cases, so I hope that is kept in mind on this new album.

Yes I was responding to a previous poster who said it sounded like 1965. Of course it doesn't have to sound like 1965 to be good. It just doesn't sound that great. But yeah it is 30 seconds so who knows. Agree with you on best vocalist for the job should get it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »

I might get killed for it, but I don't think Al's vocal on the 30-sec preview sounds that good. Nothing like say Brian's vocals on his last two albums. Do we know if Al's voice on WOL is from '95 or more recently?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1007 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »

I might get killed for it, but I don't think Al's vocal on the 30-sec preview sounds that good. Nothing like say Brian's vocals on his last two albums. Do we know if Al's voice on WOL is from '95 or more recently?

I don't think we know anything for sure about where Al's vocal comes from. It seems like he's been tinkering for quite some time in his home studio on tracks like this, so it's just as likely it's from '95 or '96 or from last year, or somewhere in between. Matt Jardine reported on a background vocal overdub session last year.

It's hard to compare Al and Brian's voice at this stage, but I'd say that objectively Al's voice has across the board sounded stronger than Brian's has in ages. Brian's voice sounds smoothed out in the studio these days much more than at his live shows (how much if at all Brian is using autotune is debatable), but while the actual peformance of something like "Waves of Love" may or may not be Al's strongest, his voice across the board sounds better than Brian's.

I hope we hear them both plentifully on the new album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »

If really into it, Brian has been sounding good/verygood/excellent live these past few years - especially on new material and songs dear to his heart. Comparing a good current live vocal by Al and Brian (maybe on "God Only Knows"), I'd say they are not that far apart. Studio work, on the other hand, is of course a whole different deal. But I'd say if Brian is, again, really into a song - he'll do fine. As will Al.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

Some of the fat boys are dead.  So that won't be happening.

Also "last beach boys album" isn't set in stone.  Nobody's said it's their last album.

Does anybody think "The Private life of Bill and Sue" sounds very Beatlish?  I dont' know if it's just because it makes me think of Eleanor Rigby, or what.  It sounds like something Paul or John would write....

with that said... perhaps the album DOES have a mid '60's vibe to it. 
Probebly because of ths song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAEE0JEgIM

Lennon has some nice unfinished songs. There's a reconstruction/rearrangement of some of these songs out there called "Somewhere in Dakota". The guy is a dead ringer for John's voice.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »

I don't think it does either and i'm a big fan of Al's voice normally. Check out his version of California Dreamin' from the Roxy the other week, his voice is really great on that and he does a nice falsetto here and there.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1011 on: March 29, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »

Yes, live it's Al over Brian imo (and I can only judge from youtube clips as I haven't seen Brian sicne 2004) as Al seems more constant. But Brian's last two/three studio albums were really strong vocally from his side. And "Waves of love" (and I'm only talking about that 30 seconds clip and not Al's other recent studio recordings) just doesn't hold up imo. He sounds flat when he gets higher and almost loses it. I hope the vocal (or at least that part, 'cause the - yet unheard - rest might be great) will be reworked.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 29, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

Yes, live it's Al over Brian imo (and I can only judge from youtube clips as I haven't seen Brian sicne 2004) as Al seems more constant. But Brian's last two/three studio albums were really strong vocally from his side. And "Waves of love" (and I'm only talking about that 30 seconds clip and not Al's other recent studio recordings) just doesn't hold up imo. He sounds flat when he gets higher and almost loses it. I hope the vocal (or at least that part, 'cause the - yet unheard - rest might be great) will be reworked.
Brian's voice has very much improved since 2004. I last saw him in 2009 and was stunned by his vocals on some of the tunes, mainly GOK and MAD (but he was generally sounding (very) good). Judging from the 2010/2011 Youtube clips I've seen this trend has continued. If he's having fun on tour this year it's going to be goooooood. All of the Boys seem to be in good vocal shape recently. I'm psyched.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »

From Al's Facebook:

Mike Love on the new Beach Boys album: "Conceptually, the album is not going to be anything outlandish or silly like Smiley Smile--it will be like the Beach Boys circa '65. I'm trying to write lyrics that fit the music without making it sound like you're writing from a hospice."

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1014 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »

Brian's voice has very much improved since 2004. I last saw him in 2009 and was stunned by his vocals on some of the tunes, mainly GOK and MAD (but he was generally sounding (very) good). Judging from the 2010/2011 Youtube clips I've seen this trend has continued. If he's having fun on tour this year it's going to be goooooood. All of the Boys seem to be in good vocal shape recently. I'm psyched.

And I'm glad they go on tour right from the studio (it seems) because that means they are in form and don't need too much time to warm up.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 29, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »

From Al's Facebook:

Mike Love on the new Beach Boys album: "Conceptually, the album is not going to be anything outlandish or silly like Smiley Smile--it will be like the Beach Boys circa '65. I'm trying to write lyrics that fit the music without making it sound like you're writing from a hospice."
1965 Beach Boys- Today! or Summer Days.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paulos
« Reply #1016 on: March 29, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

From Al's Facebook:

Don't forget Party!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »

From Al's Facebook:

Don't forget Party!
Knowing Mike, its got to be Summer Days with California Girls.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »

Who are songwriters of "That's Why God Made the Radio"?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 29, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »

Brian, definitely. I'm guessing a co-write with Joe Thomas.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

My guess is BW with Scotty Bennett... But that's nothing more than a guess.

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »

My guess is BW with Scotty Bennett... But that's nothing more than a guess.

Could be BW with Jeffrey Foskett and/or Joe Thomas.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 30, 2012, 04:59:40 AM »

could be brian wilson and the easter bunny too. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »

From Al's Facebook:

Don't forget Party!
so this could  be an "uplugged" album without ANY production with party sounds? LOL
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »

Could this be the new album cover?  LOL

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2012/03/16/Magazine/Advance/Images/peep-best-beachboy2.jpeg

Here's the link to the full article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/peeps-show-vi/2012/03/27/gIQAswMmfS_gallery.html#photo=27

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx