gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:39:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055673 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

You're getting your songs confused - there are several re-recorded First Love songs on MLNW, but "Cool Head..." isn't one of them. It's a relatively new composition, and the only version I'm aware of is the finished one we all know.
Thanks for the clarification, Andrew!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »

opps sorry it was "Too Cruel" I was thinking of
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »

opps sorry it was "Too Cruel" I was thinking of

I love that song!, I think it'd still be a very radio friendly track too

[EDIT]
Actually, if Mike is going to be looking at that album for material, I'd love to hear what they could do with "Pisces Brothers"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:03:09 AM by GuyOnTheBeach » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: March 18, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »

Actually, if Mike is going to be looking at that album for material, I'd love to hear what they could do with "Pisces Brothers"

Some call it cheesy, and I can see their point, but I really like this track. I'm not sure it belongs on the new BB album though, because that'd be yet another BB-Beatles link, and we don't need that.

Mike's still-unreleased recent solo effort had quite a few good tunes.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 18, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »

I think Mike's last unreleased album did have a few really nice tunes, but if I'm given the choice of either having a Mike Love composition or an unheard Brian Wilson composition, I'm gonna go with Brian's. Even though some of the songs from Mike's latest work were pretty good, I think the only that is truly Beach Boys worthy is "Cool Head". The others are good within a Mike Love solo project, but I think the standard for material should be a bit higher than that for this Beach Boys album. Maybe it'll come to be known that Mike's stuff was better than the stuff that they came up with for the new album, but I doubt it.
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »

if we're talking 80's sound and solo Mike Love tracks... i think they should bust out a cover of "Rockin' the Man in the Boat"

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed

Poor spelling, not poor grammar.  Cheesy  I offer you the Whitman defence:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Sorry, but I've got to call you (and for that matter, all Brits) out on this one: D-E-F-E-N-S-E         LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59:46 AM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed

Poor spelling, not poor grammar.  Cheesy  I offer you the Whitman defence:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Sorry, but I've got to call you (and for that matter, all Brits) out on this one: D-E-F-E-N-S-E         LOL

You Americans have America's Band, we Brits have the English language. Read the name. It's named after a place in Britland, called England.

You know, near London.

We Brits have always cherished both.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:17 AM »

Richard II (circa 1595), act 2 scene 1:

"This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house..."

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #834 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »

I think Mike's last unreleased album did have a few really nice tunes, but if I'm given the choice of either having a Mike Love composition or an unheard Brian Wilson composition, I'm gonna go with Brian's. Even though some of the songs from Mike's latest work were pretty good, I think the only that is truly Beach Boys worthy is "Cool Head". The others are good within a Mike Love solo project, but I think the standard for material should be a bit higher than that for this Beach Boys album. Maybe it'll come to be known that Mike's stuff was better than the stuff that they came up with for the new album, but I doubt it.

Daybreak is absolutely worthy of revisiting. Remarkably dumb of the band not to have done so already.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:06 AM »

Daybreak is absolutely worthy of revisiting.

Yeah, that song came to my mind as well.
I also love "I don't wanna know" (the original from the 70s is also great). Imo one of Mike's best songs ever. But it wouldn't fit on a Beach Boys album imo unless it's a Wild Honey-style record

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 19, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

According to the examiner.com, Mark Lindsay (of Paul Revere & The Raiders) has co-written a  song with Brian on the new Beach Boys album...

http://www.examiner.com/retro-music-in-austin/mark-lindsay-of-the-raiders-releases-new-cd-writes-song-for-beach-boys-album
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #837 on: March 19, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed

Poor spelling, not poor grammar.  Cheesy  I offer you the Whitman defence:

Sorry, but I've got to call you (and for that matter, all Brits) out on this one: D-E-F-E-N-S-E         LOL

You Americans have America's Band, we Brits have the English language. Read the name. It's named after a place in Britland, called England.

You know, near London.

We Brits have always cherished both.

We should copyright the English language, and penalise cuuntries who misspell words!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:38:25 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

According to the examiner.com, Mark Lindsay (of Paul Revere & The Raiders) has co-written a  song with Brian on the new Beach Boys album...

http://www.examiner.com/retro-music-in-austin/mark-lindsay-of-the-raiders-releases-new-cd-writes-song-for-beach-boys-album

Interesting if Brian really did write a song with him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »

This is getting rather far afield.. I hate to seem so pedantic, but may we have  more scholarly, focused discussions with real information according to the rubric of this topic? Perhaps I do not understand the genre of a message board, but I want concrete information and  learned speculation.  The Lindsay info is usefully, but much else is off topic over the past several days. Perhaps it is simply the product of our collective frustration and anticipation over this new album?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:53:29 PM by the professor » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:47 PM »

This is getting rather far afield.. I hate to seem so pedantic, but may we have  more scholarly, focused discussions with real information according to the rubric of this topic? Perhaps I do not understand the genre of a message board, but I want concrete information and  learned speculation.  The Lindsay info is usefully, but much else is off topic over the past several days. Perhaps it is simply the product of our collective frustration and anticipation over this new album?
The genre of a message board? Use the Professor persona only when you understand the words you are typing.

If you really don't understand messageboards, there is a great introduction: some jerk correcting your grammar/spelling/syntax.

- B00ts
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »

Van Dyke?  Is that you?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »

Van Dyke?  Is that you?

I think it might be!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »

Judging by his posting history it's not

VDP would not watch the "do it again" video 400 times

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »

Hiding by his posting history it's not

VDP would not watch the "do it again" video 400 times

He's trying to be ironic and facetious.  That's how he rolls. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 20, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »

Not sure where to post this picture but anyway...

From Mike's FB...over the weekend while in Mexico during his birthday.  Anyone know why Bruce has ear monitors?  Did they do perform while in Mexico?  Seems a bit weird....

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »

Looks like the boys were at Philip greens exclusive birthday

They must have performed

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:16 AM »

Maybe he was on his 401th listen of DIA, on his iPod?

“We live in divisive times.”
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »

Ooo get you sista!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »

Not sure where to post this picture but anyway...

From Mike's FB...over the weekend while in Mexico during his birthday.  Anyone know why Bruce has ear monitors?  Did they do perform while in Mexico?  Seems a bit weird....

So, Bruce was a guest at Mike's b-day party in Mexico, huh? I guess those two are real buddies then.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx