gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:06:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055714 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Also, I think vintagmusic's posts are perfectly fine. He's on topic and he's engaged.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

But back to the album ...

The interview with Probyn thread has a lot of new stuff.

-- Joe Thomas is overseeing the band in the studio. Probyn said he thought he was an "executive producer."
-- Bruce seems to have written at least one song for the album.
-- Probyn has only played on a three or so tracks (at the time of the interview -- he seems to have done more since). Many more were recorded last year and early this year not including him (such as the God radio song).
-- He describes some of the other songs as sounding like "80's Beach Boys." If that means "Somewhere Near Japan," I'm in. If it means "Wipeout," we'll see.
-- Some of the songs feature a small chamber orchestra group.
-- Brian has co-written most of the songs, with Mike helping on a couple.
-- There may be theremin on at least one tune.
-- Apparently D'Amico and Walusko will be on the tour!

Yeah if I had to label this--considering what limited info we have---I'd say this was all very promising.  The fact that Probyn has such high regard for the "God/Radio" song says a lot, I think.  But I kinda wish we would've found that out on our own rather than by all this hype...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »

Also, I think vintagmusic's posts are perfectly fine. He's on topic and he's engaged.

.............and I think he's from the San Francisco Bay Area, so he can't be all bad.  Tongue

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 14, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »

Well, Probyn seemed to suggest that the Stamos thing isn't as set as some here have suggested. The band doesn't know anything about it.

I will be very curious to see how all those musicians are used myself.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »

Very encouraging stuff!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »

But back to the album ...

The interview with Probyn thread has a lot of new stuff.

-- Joe Thomas is overseeing the band in the studio. Probyn said he thought he was an "executive producer."
-- Bruce seems to have written at least one song for the album.
-- Probyn has only played on a three or so tracks (at the time of the interview -- he seems to have done more since). Many more were recorded last year and early this year not including him (such as the God radio song).
-- He describes some of the other songs as sounding like "80's Beach Boys." If that means "Somewhere Near Japan," I'm in. If it means "Wipeout," we'll see.
-- Some of the songs feature a small chamber orchestra group.
"Sounding like 80's Beach Boys", oh dear that's just about the worse comparison he could have come up with. Does not whet my appetite. Could tie in with JT being an executive producer. I just hope his description is inaccurate.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 14, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »

"Sounding like 80's Beach Boys", oh dear that's just about the worse comparison he could have come up with. Does not whet my appetite. Could tie in with JT being an executive producer.

Well, I would worry about it sounding like "90s Beach Boys" more. Summer in Paradise dates from 92, IIRC.

But yeah, if Joe Thomas is involved -- as we have known since late last year, at least -- the album will probably have a degree of slickness to it. I mean listen to the version of "Do It Again" that's out! I've been banging this drum for awhile now, and I'm astonished that people are still taken aback or trying to wishful-think their way out of this.

Joe Thomas involvement, Joe Thomas musicians = Slicker, adult contemporary sound.

That's just the way it is.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 14, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »

"Sounding like 80's Beach Boys", oh dear that's just about the worse comparison he could have come up with. Does not whet my appetite. Could tie in with JT being an executive producer.

Well, I would worry about it sounding like "90s Beach Boys" more. Summer in Paradise dates from 92, IIRC.

But yeah, if Joe Thomas is involved -- as we have known since late last year, at least -- the album will probably have a degree of slickness to it. I mean listen to the version of "Do It Again" that's out! I've been banging this drum for awhile now, and I'm astonished that people are still taken aback or trying to wishful-think their way out of this.

Joe Thomas involvement, Joe Thomas musicians = Slicker, adult contemporary sound.

That's just the way it is.
You are likely right, but I just hope the fact that he may be an executive producer rather than producer as such might mean there's less slickness going on than might otherwise have been the case.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »

Well to be honest, I've not heard any modern pop record to never sound "slick."  The only time I come across an true organic sound on any recent music, it's always coming from indie alt-country bands.  Even Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black" may have been ridiculously retro (yet still modern) but there was still some "slickness" to it.  There's no way around it...
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: March 14, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »

Well to be honest, I've not heard any modern pop record to never sound "slick."  The only time I come across an true organic sound on any recent music, it's always coming from indie alt-country bands.  Even Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black" may have been ridiculously retro (yet still modern) but there was still some "slickness" to it.  There's no way around it...

Plenty of ways around it.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

All you need is a decent producer........
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 14, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Yes, and all of them involve not hiring Joe Thomas.

That being said, I'd bet Joe has become involved mainly as a co-writer. And whatever one thinks of his production style, he has written some good tunes with Brian. (Your Imagination and Lay Down Burden, most notably.)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 14, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »

Winehouse albums are slick, retro but then sound organic AND modern.  Def give props to ronson for that
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 14, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »

Winehouse albums are slick, retro but then sound organic AND modern.  Def give props to ronson for that

Well that's what I mean....there will be always be some element of "slick" in pop albums.  Plus, for most of us here who are used to listening to more raw/untouched music (as they did in the 60's/70's)...even the littlest amount of "slickness" will be noticed and perhaps be grating on our ears.   If they can achieve a great balance like Winehouse did--that would be a great thing.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

[/quote]
"Sounding like 80's Beach Boys", oh dear that's just about the worse comparison he could have come up with. Does not whet my appetite. Could tie in with JT being an executive producer. I just hope his description is inaccurate.
[/quote]
Whoa, I don't know. "80s"? I liked "Getcha Back". That's as far as I can go with something from that time.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: March 14, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »

the 'props' go to Gabe Roth; the 'slick' to Ronson.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

Winehouse albums are slick, retro but then sound organic AND modern.  Def give props to ronson for that

Well that's what I mean....there will be always be some element of "slick" in pop albums.  Plus, for most of us here who are used to listening to more raw/untouched music (as they did in the 60's/70's)...even the littlest amount of "slickness" will be noticed and perhaps be grating on our ears.   If they can achieve a great balance like Winehouse did--that would be a great thing.

Aside from the tastes and behavior of human beings (such as Joe Thomas and the Beach Boys themselves), there is no reason an album can't be made today that is sonically very similar to a '60s album, i.e. without the 'slick'.

... I'm just saying, it's not like there is a veil of automatic 'slick' simply because this is 2012.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:11:46 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: March 14, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »

Re: vintagemusic, just checked out the Beatles/Threatles thread, and frankly, his posts are very hard going, and close to unreadable because they're so very badly written (as they are here - if you mean to say "post-capitol era" then write "post-Capitol era") and definitely not proofed before being posted. He may be saying something of interest but it's difficult to tell. Is English his first language ?  If so, he should be thinking remedial classes.

Oh stop bullying Vintagemusic, everyone. Since when is correct grammar and use of paragraphing a prerequisite of Smiley membership?

I've always considered reasonable grammar, spelling and punctuation a prerequisite of being an averagely educated person. It helps you get your point across without being misunderstood. But maybe that's just me being unreasonable.

Mmmmmmmmmm...

No, I'm not being unreasonable in this supposition. It's a matter of basic education: there are people posting here whose first language isn't English, and they put him to shame. Note, I posted this after his tasteless "Adolf" comments which, as someone who lost family members in 1941 to the Nazi regime, I could legitimately raise an almighty stink about. But I'll just assume he's as ignorant of history as he is of basic grammar.

BTW, that's not bullying, that's pointing out that any ideas he may have to share are diminished by the poor presentation.

Great critique Mr. Doe. Yes by the way I do know about history, especially the part about Nazi's. If I call someone Adolph, I guess it means, I am calling
them an intolerant ass. Yes I have spelling errors, I type quickly, have some visual problems, and probably should have used more caution.
I won't be  making anymore long posts, the question I asked, which still has not been answered, is which button do I push, to delete my
membership. I have my new album to worry about, my kids, my business, maintaining my home, and my disabled wife, the financial meltdown,
and I guess now, I should return the awards I've won for my songs, because apparently, I can't speak English well enough to deserve keeping them.

Yes I admit, I made some long posts, used some bad grammar and punctuation, and I as I said, I have visual problems on this laptop, I am remiss
in educating myself how to operate computers. I thought I was talking about the new Beach Boys album among friends, and didn't realize (until now)
what a burden it's been for some of you, Somehow paragraph formatting is coming out wrong when I type posts, so enough said, I'm sure I"ll be fine
elsewhere, and you'll be relieved of the burden of having to talk down to me.  Had you been truly concerned about my typing skills, surely a private email
would have shown a bit more class than to dress me down  in your posts, that goes for your friends as well. My view is that you are more comfortable
when free thinking newcomers to sully your otherwise pristine board are gone. OK enough said. All I need to know is which damn button gets me off of here.

I was educated in a way that encouraged, discussion, dialogue, questions, theories, I didn't realize there was some sort of Andrew Doe litmus test as to
someones level of formal education, income, political affiliation, or viewpoints. I hah, thought this was a Beach Boys discussion forum

Firstly, I never complained about the length of your posts, just the poor writing. Secondly, I've been called far worse here and elsewhere: it's life, get used to it or get out of the kitchen. Thirdly, paragraphing is simple - you press the 'enter' key.

Finally, this is indeed a BB discussion forum, one that assumes not only a basic level of BB/BW knowledge but also an equal level of literacy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SBonilla
« Reply #769 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Daptone Studio's acoustics, equipment and owner deserve the props for the sound.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 14, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »

I agree w/ Wirestone on this.  The thread and exchange between VM & John Mill (on Beatles/Threetles) was quite brilliant, I thought.  I'm willing to overlook a few typos and crazy word wrapping.

That's Why God Invented The Internet.

And, seriously, not everyone can write as brilliantly as Mr. Doe!   Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: March 14, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

the 'props' go to Gabe Roth; the 'slick' to Ronson.

The slickness in Back To Black is in that the rather small team of musicians play very tightly and "on it" while the overall sound/vibe is both retro and modern. The SOUND itself does not sound AOR at all......... to my ears.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 14, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

If there are some new songs after the fashion of Goin' On and Getcha back, plus Brian Wilson BV's and "slick orchestration", add to the mix songs by Al & Bruce:

Instant Classic!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

Daptone Studio's acoustics, equipment and owner deserve the props for the sound.

That's what I said; Gabe Roth is the owner.  And the equipment and acoustics have less to do with it than him.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx