gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:46:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1056005 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: March 12, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »

That makes no sense whatsoever, who the hell would be doing the last BBoys album, first album in 20 years
getting more and better press on this new B Boys album, than they have gotten in decades, and one of the
great final Beach Boys songs
, Jardine gets a writers on the final B Boys album, and he announces its gonna
be a bonus track on his solo album, two or three months before the new Beach Boys album!

I take it you've heard it, then, and know this statement to be true ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 13, 2012, 05:22:48 AM »

that's what i was wondering.  odds are stacked against it.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »

This Waves of Love thing is very strange.  I wouldn't think that the same song would be included on both Al's album and the Beach Boys album...not even different versions of the same song.  I went back and re-read the article where Al mentions the song as being part of the 'new album'.  It is possible that Al started talking to the writer of the article about his own album, and the writer mistakenly thought that he was talking about the new Beach Boys album.  I don't know.

What do we know about this song? 

It's a song that Al wrote with a friend of his, Larry Dvoskin.

A rough demo was recorded in '95.

Carl did some vocal work for the song then, but it wasn't finished, and it wasn't in a studio environment (according to AGD from an ESQ article?).

Al announces that the song would be included as a bonus track on 'Postcard'.

Al redid the track last summer with Beach Boys vets Mike Kowalski, Ed Carter, Mike Meros, Richie Cannata, Matt Jardine and others.

The song gets mentioned in a new article about the Beach Boys reunion tour and album, and the article seems to indicate that the song will be included on the new Beach Boys album.

Al announces that the song will indeed be a bonus track on 'Postcard'.

Does anyone know anything else?  I didn't read the ESQ article that AGD mentions.  Is there any more info there?  Can anyone shed more light on this subject?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:13 AM »

Al just announced on his facebook page that "Waves of Love" will be a bonus track for the March CD release of Postcard...

Probably the un-touched recording from the 90s as he stated that the song will be on the new Beach Boys album
How much was Al involved with the song back in the 90's to justify a release on his solo LP? Especially if it's "untouched"...

Well, he co-wrote the song and iirc he, Matt and Carl added voices to the demo recording.

If a finished version appears on the Beach Boys album, then I think it's ok to release the original demo. Everyone would like to have it as a bonus track, this way that bonus track will be available on Al's album. Probably a nice gesture to help him get some copies rolling. I wouldn't release the demo before the finished version though. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 13, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »

I have just joined this board.  I have read all the posts and am comforted to know that i am not alone in waiting in anxious care about the album.  May I summarize some hopes and, perhaps, provide a focused platform for future information:

1. Are the BB playing instruments, such as on Sunflower and 20 other albums, or are ALL the tracks pre-done, with the BB only adding vocals?

2. DIA is obviously a different category because we see already how it was produced: only David playing.

3. Are Mike and Brian writing new songs together ex nihil? Or is Mike adding lyrics to already written songs?

4. Will David's song make the album?

5. Any writing by Bruce and Al?

6. Will TWGMR come out as a "single,"  whatever that means in the modern world?

7. Will they do the late-nite TV shows to promote the new album?

Beyond that, the bits of interview released, including KEarth 101, reveal a happy and joyous pair of cousins, at peace and working together.  I hope the album manifests "authenticity" by as many measures as the fans on this site can devise.

Have I failed to summarize any of the major questions?  I have tickets for the Bowl and Irvine and can think of nothing else (save duty and work of course) but the BB. Thank you all for your information and fellowship.

We know Al Jardine wrote one song, which will feature vocals from Carl Wilson. So yes you forgot to ask if Carl and Dennis would be represented.
So you get two for one there!

Well, we're not sure about this one now.  Al's album or the Beach Boys album?  I can't see the song being on both.

I think we all assume they will do the late night TV circuit, they have a major special coming on PBS featuring a look at their career and some new
songs, from the album called, (the show is called) Summer's Gone, on PBS I believe it's July 7Th ?

I could see them doing Leno or Kimmel or other late night shows.  The PBS thing isn't really a special, it's part of series called Front Row Center, which features a different musical act every week.  The Beach Boys segment, titled Smmer's Gone will air June 7th, and will feature never-before-seen archival concert footage, plus songs from their new album.

We know at least some of Mike Love's lyrics are being written to tunes, (Possibly tracks) Wilson had already written.

I am under the impression, Marks will play guitar possibly on more cuts.  The Beach Boys may play some parts on the album, I do not know, but for the most part, session players seem to be doing most or all of the tracks, with Marks playing some guitar, that's just my guess, ask Andrew or someone who knows.

Yeah, Dave will likely play some guitar, and I wouldn't be surprised if Al played some guitar, and Bruce some keys.  Heck Brian could play some keys, but I think a lot of the tracks will be done by others.   

The album has been said to be, similar to Pet Sounds, and the album supposedly ends with a musical suite or medley, and Brian Wilson
said all the songs flow into one another, and he said it's a very mellow album, Love said the song "that's Why God made the Radio" sounds
like The Beach Boy's in the sixties, he also said, one of the songs is as good as anything the Beach Boys have ever done,  it's not clear whether
Love is talking about the song "that's why God made the radio" but it seems likely.

Well, Al mentioned Pet Sounds while talking about the new album, but I don't recall anyone saying that the new album is similar to Pet Sounds.  Bruce, Mike and Brian have all said that they think TWGMTR is a great song.  Yeah, what do you expect them to say?  They are in heavy self-promotion mode right now.

I'm hoping for the single in late may , probably a pipe dream on my part, probably by June if the PBS show has new material
the first week in July.

Again, June 7th is the air date for the Summer's Gone segment of Front Row Center.  We'll be hearing new Beach Boys tracks in less than three months.  Razz
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »

maybe they were planning on putting it on the cd but decided at the last minute not too for whatever reason OR they had two songs with Carl on it and found a Dennis song to finish taking off one of the Carl songs and told Al he could release it on his cd instead OR like what was said above they misunderstood Al and thought he meant the Beach Boys album when he meant his own..I'm hoping it's the second option..
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 13, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

That makes no sense whatsoever, who the hell would be doing the last BBoys album, first album in 20 years
getting more and better press on this new B Boys album, than they have gotten in decades, and one of the
be a bonus track on his solo album, two or three months before the new Beach Boys album!

No No Mr Doe, I haven't heard the tune. What I meant in my emotional state, was this.
Here We have the final Beach Boy studio album, and an Al Jardine tune features Carl Wilson
singing part of the song, and then Jardine is going to premiere the same song, in advance of
this highly anticipated Beach Boy album, as a bonus track on his solo album?

That doesn't make any sense to me.Particularly with perhaps the only song that will feature
Carl Wilson singing. So far as we know so far.

So to my way of thinking, based on the limited facts I have, I thought, well they must be ending
up with more Beach Boy material than they thought a few weeks ago, and they Beach Boys
bumped that song, since Al said it was gonna be on the new Beach Boy album.

Someone else suggested it was more a matter of the demo version, versus the posh and polished
Beach Boy version. In other words, the Jardine Bonus track will be a demo, and the Beach Boy version
will be wholly different, with a plush backing track and much bigger vocals by the Beach Boys, a bigger
arrangement..

So I don't know Mr Doe. On the face of it, it doesn't seem to make any sense, and I was hoping someone
would clarify the situation.

Maybe in the last couple weeks, they got into that "she is a mystery song, with a Carl vocal and the other Beach Boys
said, hey Al keep this song for your album, we're gonna do this one instead, it works better on the ending medley suite
because of the key it's in.

I am just speculating, trying to make logical guesses. perhaps you could enlighten us.. As to the situation
with that track or song...

Maybe it's like a quantum physics particle, in two places at the same time. I could see if Jardine used the song as a bonus
track a few months after the Beach Boy album came out. For the life of me, I can't imagine premiering the song first on a solo
album, when the Group album is coming out six or eight weeks later to huge fnafare and anticipation.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:53:11 AM by vintagemusic » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »

As has been stated multiple times on this board and thread, the song is "You're Still a Mystery", and Carl did NOT sing it, Brian did. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »

As has been stated multiple times on this board and thread, the song is "You're Still a Mystery", and Carl did NOT sing it, Brian did. 
[/Hquote]
Hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story............
I'd rather see mostly entirely new material on this album unless they resurrect something lost from the '60s. I'm not thrilled by what I've heard from 'later sessions.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »

No offense, vintagemusic, but why does it seem like every one of your posts is a rambling essay?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »

No offense, vintagemusic, but why does it seem like every one of your posts is a rambling essay?

And the weird paragraph formatting really doesn't help either.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 13, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »

Re the late night TV circut. Both the BB's and Brian have been on Letterman before promoting new material. I would think with all those NY area gigs later in the year that another slot may happen.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 13, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

Suit yourself. Why tallk about the album, when you can do this instead. Good luck to you

What do i have to do, so that I am no longer a member? which button do i push
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:30:40 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »

Suit yourself. Why tallk about the album, when you can do this instead. Good luck to you

Your posts come across as stream of conscious rambling, that's all. Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed?

Whenever I visit this forum and pop into this thread, I do so hoping to come across news regarding the new album, but most of what I find is a lot of arguably pointless speculation regarding little details we can't POSSIBLY know anything about at this juncture in time.

Believe me, I hate singling out people on a message board, especially when they obviously share the same passion as I do. I just felt it was something that should be addressed.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 13, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

This place is like the Hotel California; "You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave." Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 13, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »

Your posts come across as stream of conscious rambling, that's all. Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed?

No

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 13, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

If you search through vintagemusic's post history, you'll find not one post that is less than 3 full paragraphs.  I'm not saying there's a limit on how much anyone should post...but honestly, there's a time and a place.  This new album topic as it stands right now, does not call for large dissertations being written.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »

Wall of Text posts are what make the internet great.

Nice seeing somebody with PASSION about something. So much apathy everywhere.

No mas, por favor.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

I for one have enjoyed reading vintagemusic's posts. Especially in the Threetle thread.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »

I for one have enjoyed reading vintagemusic's posts. Especially in the Threetle thread.

I thought THIS was the Threetles thread!  LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »

No No Mr Doe, I haven't heard the tune. What I meant in my emotional state, was this.
Here We have the final Beach Boy studio album, and an Al Jardine tune features Carl Wilson
singing part of the song, and then Jardine is going to premiere the same song, in advance of
this highly anticipated Beach Boy album, as a bonus track on his solo album?

That doesn't make any sense to me.Particularly with perhaps the only song that will feature
Carl Wilson singing. So far as we know so far.

So to my way of thinking, based on the limited facts I have, I thought, well they must be ending
up with more Beach Boy material than they thought a few weeks ago, and they Beach Boys
bumped that song, since Al said it was gonna be on the new Beach Boy album.

Someone else suggested it was more a matter of the demo version, versus the posh and polished
Beach Boy version. In other words, the Jardine Bonus track will be a demo, and the Beach Boy version
will be wholly different, with a plush backing track and much bigger vocals by the Beach Boys, a bigger
arrangement..

So I don't know Mr Doe. On the face of it, it doesn't seem to make any sense, and I was hoping someone
would clarify the situation.

Maybe in the last couple weeks, they got into that "she is a mystery song, with a Carl vocal and the other Beach Boys
said, hey Al keep this song for your album, we're gonna do this one instead, it works better on the ending medley suite
because of the key it's in.

I am just speculating, trying to make logical guesses. perhaps you could enlighten us.. As to the situation
with that track or song...

Maybe it's like a quantum physics particle, in two places at the same time. I could see if Jardine used the song as a bonus
track a few months after the Beach Boy album came out. For the life of me, I can't imagine premiering the song first on a solo
album, when the Group album is coming out six or eight weeks later to huge fnafare and anticipation.

No, my point was, you seem to know this is one of the 'great final BB songs', as you've made such an unequivocal statement. Most unwise in this company.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

Is Waves of Love better or worse than Don't Fight the Sea? Because imo DFtS is not a very good song.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »

Is Waves of Love better or worse than Don't Fight the Sea? Because imo DFtS is not a very good song.

Same here.  Can we presume Al thought DFTS was the superior  track as he placed that on the original album over Waves of Love, or was there another reason ( i.e, Waves was simply not in a form that could be completed at the time?)

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: March 13, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Wall of Text posts are what make the internet great.

Nice seeing somebody with PASSION about something. So much apathy everywhere.

Passion or Smokin?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 13, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »

If you search through vintagemusic's post history, you'll find not one post that is less than 3 full paragraphs.  I'm not saying there's a limit on how much anyone should post...but honestly, there's a time and a place.  This new album topic as it stands right now, does not call for large dissertations being written.

You'll get no argument from me Adolph, just tell me which freakin button to push, so I can resign my membership here,
and you and your pals, can meanwhile get elected to the selection committee

I no longer wish to be a part of this group, keep it, it belongs to you Adolph, just tell me which freakin
button to push, and I will never come here and disturb you and the other "superiors" again, fair enough
Adolph?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx