gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:51:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055770 times)
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »

Nez wrote "The Girl That I Knew Somewhere" which was a huge hit and is also my favourite Monkees song.

The Girl That I knew Somewhere, peaked at #39 for one week. So yes it did crack the top 40. I don't if I would classify
that as a "Huge Hit" however.

It does prove that self penned songs did crack the top 40 in the Monkees legacy.

I would love to get into some new details about the forthcoming new studio album
by the BEACH BOYS wow fantastic

Can someone save us with just a bit of news regarding the album! It is nearly mid March after all
the single should be puttering along in the next six weeks or so dontcha think?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:37:27 AM by vintagemusic » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Dr Lenny, according to the highly esteemed, and well-trained in the field of music poster aeijtzsche, Brian sings in a very high head voice, which accounts for his very full tone up in those ranges. Falsetto is just a term for 'high vocals' no matter what is actually going on. I was also kidding a little  Grin

Yeah, I know what Josh thinks, and I esteem him. However, that's a field I kinda know about, and H's views are extremely debatable. We could start a thread on this and support our views with examples. But let's get back to Foskett or, better, the new album.

We did have a debate about it a while back

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9940.0.html

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

Nez wrote "The Girl That I Knew Somewhere" which was a huge hit and is also my favourite Monkees song.

The Girl That I knew Somewhere, peaked at #39 for one week. So yes it did crack the top 40. I don't if I would classify
that as a "Huge Hit" however.

It does prove that self penned songs did crack the top 40 in the Monkees legacy.

I would love to get into some new details about the forthcoming new studio album
by the BEACH BOYS wow fantastic

Can someone save us with just a bit of news regarding the album! It is nearly mid March after all
the single should be puttering along in the next six weeks or so dontcha think?

The Nesmith song by the way, was the "B: side of an actual single, which was a big hit called A little Bit me a little bit you
which is probably what propelled the B side by Nesmith onto the charts, because the A side was a smash number two on the
Billboard hot 100

The Monkees I believe had a total, including everything of a dozen top 40 hits basically in a two or three year period.
By Contrast   Wings had about 28 in the seventies. Elton John had about 29, Billy Joel had a ton, Three Dog Night had 23
so while a dozen is a lot, there are probably, oh I don't know 40-50 groups who beat that total. Or more.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

I thought this thread was titled: Nez album info (as it rolls out...)

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

Yea, I didn't think the new album was a cover album of Monkees material or Foskett's falsetto. We need to get this puppy back on topic.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

Yea, I didn't think the new album was a cover album of Monkees material or Foskett's falsetto. We need to get this puppy back on topic.

Go for it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

So we can pretty much scratch off the idea that the new album will be released in time for the tour, eh?

If they finish it in the next few weeks...we should expect it by summer and during that time they'll be right in the middle of the US tour.  Do we think they'll still add the new songs to the set like they were thinking of doing?  It would be pretty bold for them to include them in the show when the album hasn't been released yet.  
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 08, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »

I just wanna pre order this puppy already...

And the new box set, my visa is ready

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »

So we can pretty much scratch off the idea that the new album will be released in time for the tour, eh?

Well, there's still nearly two months to go until the tour begins. My entirely uneducated guess is that we will hear something from the album -- if only a digital single -- before the tour starts, or at about the same time. And they'll play that tune at the shows.

I've said for awhile that I expect the album to be released in May or early June. Either way, they will still have many shows in the tour yet to play, and the summer will be stretching ahead.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »

If they finish it in the next few weeks...we should expect it by summer and during that time they'll be right in the middle of the US tour.  Do we think they'll still add the new songs to the set like they were thinking of doing?  It would be pretty bold for them to include them in the show when the album hasn't been released yet.  

Well if that's true, maybe we can hold out hope, that the lead off single will precede the full album by 2-4 weeks
which would be normal, and we can at least hear that, (possibly with a B side) for a few weeks while we await
the main course.

I am not aware if singles typically precede the full album by a few weeks, as used to be the norm. But I don't see
why they couldn't do that. Perhpas the album is further along than we know, and they pull our leg and give us info
thats a few weeks out of date when they do one of their press blurbs. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened
in rock cloak and dagger

What are the odds running right now, that "that;s why God made the radio will be the lead single. I'd have to say
two to one in favor of it, from the way they kept alluding to it.

When does the tour begin by the way? how much more time is there?
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 08, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »

No news yet on the new album?
Ok, let's get back to micro-managing the band!
If we have permission, of course.

Someone mentioned the guy in Mike Loves' band that did the falsetto on "Ballad Of Ol' Betsy". I'd completely  forgotten about that as I'd seen them do that live a few years ago. I wasn't expecting much vocally from Mikes' Beach Boys,  as I'd already seen Brian and his band perform many times . I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and actually somewhat blown away at how good the vocals were in his show.
As a fan of the BEACH BOYS as an entity dating back to the beginning, I reserve the right to discuss what I feel they could possibly benefit from. I belong to no subset of fans in any specified "camp", but certainly acknowledge and love the  genius of Brian. I was aware since about age 10 in the  mid-'60s, that Brian was the magical force behind the music. Watching those orange and yellow swirls on the turntable with the writing credits of Brian Wilson-Mike Love and "Produced by Brian Wilson" made it obvious even though I didn't know what "producing" entailed at the time. Seeing those credits on a record guaranteed that there would be something outstanding emanating from those grooves.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 08, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »

Someone mentioned the guy in Mike Loves' band that did the falsetto on "Ballad Of Ol' Betsy". I'd completely  forgotten about that as I'd seen them do that live a few years ago. I wasn't expecting much vocally from Mikes' Beach Boys,  as I'd already seen Brian and his band perform many times . I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and actually somewhat blown away at how good the vocals were in his show.

Yeah - Scott Totten and John Cowsill are both *extraordinarily* good singers, Randell Kirsch can be very good indeed, and Christian Love is limited but when he's got the right material he can sound spookily like Carl.
With Totten and Cowsill added to most of Brian's band, we should be in for some vocally spectacular shows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 08, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

Yeah - Scott Totten and John Cowsill are both *extraordinarily* good singers, Randell Kirsch can be very good indeed, and Christian Love is limited but when he's got the right material he can sound spookily like Carl.
With Totten and Cowsill added to most of Brian's band, we should be in for some vocally spectacular shows.
That's good indeed.  Hopefully they'll be open to including them on the new album.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

I think Christian Love not being included in the reunion (whether it was his choice or someone else's) is pretty unfortunate. His vocals on Mike's solo album are great.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 08, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »

The Monkees I believe had a total, including everything of a dozen top 40 hits basically in a two or three year period.

They had exactly 12 which is the same amount as these artists that are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

Bob Dylan, Donovan, The Hollies, Jackson Browne, Martha & The Vandellas, R.E.M., The Righteous Brothers and The Shirelles. That's pretty good company. However, they're hardly amongst the luminaries when it comes to Billboard chart hits. I counted 193 names with more Top 40 hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-charting_U.S._music_artists

However, I do think that that The Monkees stand up favorably compared to similar artists in the Hall of Fame that had a great run of sixties hits. The Lovin' Spoonful, The Small Faces, The Rascals and the aformentioned Hollies and Donovan all fit the bill of having had enough hits/impact on rock history as a whole that they deserve to be listed amongst, say, The Top 300 or so artists of all time (and so do The Monkees). All told, they had a very impressive run although nobody's arguing that they're in the upper echelon of artists that have shaped this movement over the past sixty years.

As for The Beach Boys, they clock in with 36 Top 40 hits, putting them in a three-way tie for 18th on the All Time list. They end up in roughly the same place for All Time Hits on the Top 100 with an impressive 56 tracks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:13:18 PM by KokoNO » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »

This isn't the thread to keep talking about the freaking monkees.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »

That's good indeed.  Hopefully they'll be open to including them on the new album.

My suspicion is the only vocalists on the album will be Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff. Possibly a bit of Dave. They'll want to keep the vocal blend as close to the original core group as possible.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »

This isn't the thread to keep talking about the freaking monkees.

This

Really, the Monkees?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 08, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

Come on -- was every 300+ page of The Smile Sessions box set thread about Smile or even The Beach Boys? Did people miss out on info as a result? Was anyone seriously hurt as a result?

Either we curb conversation and, in effect, silence it by forcing people to stay on topic (especially when there is really no new information to discuss) or we acknowledge how conversations actually work and wait patiently.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:48:05 PM by rockandroll » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 08, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »

Waiting patiently is fine.  Take the freaking Monkees somewhere else

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 08, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Hey, Hey to the Beach Boys
The best harmonic band around
The're to busy singing to put anybody down

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 08, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »

I really thought we'd have a release date by now for the new album.  I assume it'll be finished before the tour begins on April 24th. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 08, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »

double post
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:46:04 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

Well, with the PBS special featuring new material and archive footage called "Summer's Gone," I am wondering if that is going to be the album title for what is likely their final album, and at the very least their "autumn years" album.

Thoughts?

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »

Seems a little dark to me. But not bad, if that's what they're going with.

I would definitely put it down for a plausible song title, at the very least.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx