gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:05:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1061096 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: May 30, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »

Think about it: most of the album is out--5 tracks today, 2 on Dutch Radio, plus Do It Again (though not on the album), plus a bunch of scraps.

What's out? The single, "Spring Vacation", the opening track - what else?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

Are Klaatu really the Beach Boys?

LOL

Still Lurkin'
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

Think about it: most of the album is out--5 tracks today, 2 on Dutch Radio, plus Do It Again (though not on the album), plus a bunch of scraps.

5 complete tracks can now be heard here (poor sound quality though):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/30/album-stream-beach-boys-god-radio?CMP=twt_gu

Private Life Of Bill & Sue, From There To back Again, Shelter, Isn't It Time, plus Spring Vacation (already heard, of course)

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »

5 complete tracks can now be heard here (poor sound quality though):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/30/album-stream-beach-boys-god-radio?CMP=twt_gu

Private Life Of Bill & Sue, From There To back Again, Shelter, Isn't It Time, plus Spring Vacation (already heard, of course)

Thanks! Somehow missed that.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

I swear to christ i'm going to have a brain haemorrhage if I read another article in the media that puns 'Good Vibrations', 'Do It Again' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' etc.

Still Lurkin'
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: May 30, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

Well, I’ve listened through the album twice now, and thought I might pass along some impressions.

Those who have heralded “Think About The Days,” “From There To Back Again,” “Pacific Coast Highway” and “Summer’s Gone” are right on the money.  These four tracks found me thoroughly swept up in their drama, and form the cornerstone of an enjoyable, by turns frustrating and startling journey.

“Strange World” (one of four offerings taken from a planned eleven-song suite) offers a charming glimpse into a world of oddities that would be made all the more queer “if you were not here with me.”

You already know of Al’s great performance on “From There To Back Again.”  It’s the last try at a dying love.  “Why don’t you run away and spend some time with me / why don’t we feel the way we used to anymore?”

“Pacific Coast Highway” is breathtaking in its dark beauty – “my life, I’m better off alone / my life, I’m better on my own.”  The resignation drips with each sorrowful note.  

As lovely as “Pacific Coast Highway” is, nothing tops the grand “Summer’s Gone.”  More than any other, this is the piece that strikes right to the heart, and demonstrates just what a talented artist can bring to the table.  When Brian sings about ‘another summer gone,’ one understands immediately, innately, that we’re not talking about the end of fun in the sun, the ocean and the beach.  Like the best of Brian’s work, the nature imagery is used here to greater effect as Brian solemnly mourns the encroaching end of an old man’s life - his very own. “It’s finally sinking in,” he sings, “one day begins, another ends.”  It won’t matter how many albums the group may produce from here on out, “Summer’s Gone” truly is the final song on the final Beach Boys record, just as Brian first envisioned.

There is more to the album than the suite numbers, to be sure.  I’ve been spinning the title track for weeks now, with its enchanting harmonies (although there are the BIIIG, dramatic floor tom and the lyric about ‘a whole new generation,’ both of which just grate on me).  “Bill and Sue,” in a not unconvincing manner, expounds the tale of reality show stars (!), seemingly lost at sea.  “Shelter” is a pleasant enough look at love, with a hook I know we’ve all heard before.
“Daybreak Over The Ocean” is a song that most of you will already have heard, but I have to say that it proves that the addition of those voices can complement an arrangement in such a manner that it lifts it from pleasant to, well, a thing of beauty.

It’s when we get to the tracks everyone was worried about that, frankly, you will probably find yourself proven right.  I have to say that as one of the two numbers I allowed myself to preview beforehand (the other being the album’s opener), “Spring Vacation” has had the time to grow on me and against all odds, it has taken full advantage of the opportunity.  If I could just get past the off-key caterwauling I glimpsed in that in-studio video sneak-peek.  I guess some things you just can’t unsee.

Sadly, “Isn’t It Time” holds very little appeal for me.  This is surprising as I quite enjoyed the live version posted the other day, and was looking forward to the album’s treatment.  But my God, “isn’t it time we danced the night away” just sounds sooo very… d-u-l-l.

“Beaches In Mind.” No.

In the end, it's more than I thought we’d ever get – more than we’d any right to expect.  It’s a fine album in places, with a few clunkers and its fair share of brilliance.  The numbers that originate from the suite constitute some of the strongest musical offerings from Brain in years, with mature lyrics appropriate to the theme of ‘looking at life as an older adult.’  Folks, I know the other six pieces of the suite is said to be unfinished at this time, but we need to hear the rest of this suite.  There’s been talk of another Beach Boys LP, with most (Wilson included) speculating on Brian’s long-desired Rock ‘n’ Roll album, but one member here offered a suggestion, probably more in jest than anything, that I think holds tremendous musical appeal and commercial potential – a double album.  Picture, if you will, The Beach Boys Rock ‘n’ Roll, backed with ‘My Life’s Suite’.  Food for thought.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:11:24 PM by Generation42 » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: May 30, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice if the Beach Boys could Do It Again and spread their Good Vibrations across the USA in their Little Deuce Coupe?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice if the Beach Boys could Do It Again and spread their Good Vibrations across the USA in their Little Deuce Coupe?

Hang on to your ego

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: May 30, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »

thanks for the review Generation42.  I have a feeling our "beaches in mind" reviews will be similar
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Who cares about Beaches In Mind ?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »

Who cares about Beaches In Mind ?

People who listen to the new album?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAAAAP SON! MAN I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY NOW! OUTCH
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »

I don't really want to get into this, but these 'facts' are merely anecdotes. I don't think BW produced this any more than he produced MIU Album.

Your feelings and your emotions apparently trump anecdotes from people who were there during the recording process.

Let's talk about Carol Kaye.

Carol Kaye may be dubious, but she's still less dubious than someone completely making stuff up based on "feelings".

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »

i think Ziggy is  Cool Guy
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »

okay.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »

This is a forum for opinion, of course. And I respect them all. Even if I don't quite get the "oh no" trend that's been going for some time:

Oh no! They're recording a video clip. Maybe as bad as Summer of Love

Oh no! The artwork is out.

Oh no! No Blondie.

Oh no! Surfboards.

Oh no! Summer lyrics.

Etc.

Those 5 full songs moved me in a way I could not imagine. I'm so happy they pulled this off. So happy for Brian for his music. And so happy to hear those voices together. I find it hard to throw smart-ass remarks and punctilious asserts about these guys's work.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3516 on: May 30, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

Not to stir the pot too much, but I just found a new BW interview which calls into question Joe Thomas' version of recent events:

Q: Whose idea was it to get back together after all this time?

BW: Well, Mike Love.

Q: How did it happen? Tell me the story.

BW: He called me and asked if I'd like to do a 50th anniversary tour with him and I said yeah.

haha! so far we have Al claiming it was his idea, Joe Thomas saying it was Brian's, and Brian claiming it was Mike's.  Of course, he may have been talking about just the tour, but still ... sort of like anything in Beach Boys-land.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/Beach_Boys/2012/05/30/19817736.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:40:15 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: May 30, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »

i think Ziggy is  Cool Guy

Thanks! i think you're pimp too bro  Afro

okay.

okay.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:43:23 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: May 30, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »

Not to stir the pot too much, but I just found a new BW interview which calls into question Joe Thomas' version of recent events:

BW: He called me and asked if I'd like to do a 50th anniversary tour with him and I said yeah.

haha! so far we have Al claiming it was his idea, Joe Thomas saying it was Brian's, and Brian claiming it was Mike's.  Of course, he may have been talking about just the tour, but still ... sort of like anything in Beach Boys-land.

Here's a "Brianism" from that article:

Interviewer:Is it different writing for The Beach Boys instead of yourself?

Brian:No, not at all. I gotta go. I gotta get on an airplane.

LOL Gotta love him.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »

Pot stirred..
"Unfortunately, when the call came, it was an hour late, Love was MIA, and instead of an in-depth interview, I ended up getting four minutes with a harried Wilson, who had just cleared security at New York's JFK airport and was about to board a plane."

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »

haha yeah I saw that interview earlier and the moment i read the conditions of the interview, i quickly glanced it and knew it wasn't worth anything.

That huffington post cocktail blogger tweeted me back after i replied to him saying the best beach boys stuff is weird.  I admitted Love You was a lil too weird but still interesting.  He also just tweeted
Tony Sachs ‏@RetroManNYC
Not ready to say I like the new Beach Boys album, but the last few tracks really pack an emotional wallop. Gotta listen a few more times.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:11:43 PM by Runaways » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: May 30, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »

couple of quick notes:

love that Dave's guitar is everywhere but wish he was credited with singing; were the videos on TWGMTR a sham, or did his track not make the mix. . . . .(??)

Love Bruce everywhere I hear him.

I do wish the BB were playing more instruments here, but I'll take it, like PS, as a singing, harmonizing album.  The full BB sings only half the cuts on PS: 2 instrumentals, and Brian sings 2 songs alone, right (?)

Not worried about Joe Thomas.

Many albums, including Pet Sounds have great, good,and OK songs, so I can live with that hierarchy here.

Anywhere where I perceiving myself hearing "The Beach Boys" on this record, I am happy.

PLOBAS reminds me of O bla di o bla da for some reason, though it's tunefully superior. The themes, as it were, have not yet reached me intellectually. Did reality tv need a critique?

Shelter sounds like Brian Eno's "Here he comes."  really wish Bruce was singing the chorus.  Mike's part in second half of chorus is great.

Are these Guardian versions poor quality?

FTTBA is epic.

This is a great album.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »

Why didn't Brian just make it easy on us and call his songs "PLOBAS" and "FTTBA"?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: May 30, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »

Why didn't Brian just make it easy on us and call his songs "PLOBAS" and "FTTBA"?

Because he was afraid that we might get them confused with ADITLOAT, LUGOTW and WIBNTLA.

Okay...he didn't really write WIBNTLA.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3524 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »

I don't really want to get into this, but these 'facts' are merely anecdotes. I don't think BW produced this any more than he produced MIU Album.

Your feelings and your emotions apparently trump anecdotes from people who were there during the recording process.

Let's talk about Carol Kaye.

Carol Kaye may be dubious, but she's still less dubious than someone completely making stuff up based on "feelings".

Cheers,
Jon Blum

It seems we're speaking a different language.

Other than stating my (humble) opinion, I'm not involved in this in any way. What I'm getting at is we can't necessarily collect anecdotes and call them 'facts'.

Quite frankly, it seems fairly obvious to me that Joe Thomas' sonic signature is all over these tracks.  This is not some cryptic 'feeling' I have; there is audible evidence.  I find it surprising that others do not notice it.

And yet Joe Thomas is not credited as a producer.  Not sure what his credit is, if any.  So, I suppose most people here are content to accept 'good old Joe just helping a friend complete the new Beach Boys album'?

He co-wrote most of the songs. Some of the other co-writers are people associated with him that are not typically associated with BW or the Beach Boys.  It seems there is at least a little evidence that point to him being heavily involved with this record.  The music itself sounds as though he was more involved than Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys in my opinion.

Joe Thomas is a producer.  What is his role in this album if not production?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:57:51 PM by DonnyL » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx