gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:07:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1051456 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3200 on: May 25, 2012, 03:58:03 AM »

And as some folks here suspected, That's Why God Made the Radio originated as a BW saying. Of course.

It depends on who you believe. A few nights ago on Charlie Rose it was Brian who said it originated from Joe Thomas.  Undecided

No, he said the song came from Joe Thomas. Not the title. A slight distinction, I grant you, but a distinction nonetheless.

Wait, what? I thought it was the opposite - Joe Thomas came up with the title, not the song.

That's right. Mike and Rose talked about the title and Brian said it came from Joe. Not the song, but the title

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: May 25, 2012, 04:13:54 AM »

Just read in that vcstar.com article that Mike's a vegetarian. Got to love that man! Grin
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: May 25, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »

Craig, you are aware that McCartney is usually the least cool of the Beatles to like, and there's a whole slew of fans who think McCartney is now and always was pap?

"...You know.  Morons."
      -- Gene Wilder, "Blazing Saddles"

You're at least two reappraisals of Macca's hipness behind, I'd say.  I think the last of the cognoscenti gave up on the Paul-can't-rock bit somewhere between Glastonbury and "Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Context, please, context.  The point was that Craig was saying that no one would question McCartney as cornball, or apologize for a current release by the one who did Sgt. Pepper.  First off, the latter is not as sacred as he seems to think.  Second off, apologies happened a lot for his work.  What the current opinion is doesn't matter to my argument -- though I don't think McCartney is as rehabilitated as you do.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3203 on: May 25, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »

This idea that, "well, that's just the effect of the day" is a cop-out.  The Beach Boys have always been forward-thinking and innovative with their recordings.  Auto-tune is already totally out of date as an effect.

Trufax ^_^ People will look back at autotune and laugh or cringe, just as they do with the booming synth drums of the 80s.

Or as people do with backwards guitar solos, or slapback echo, or rythmn king drum machines, or phasing.........

The fact of the matter is the standards for record production that were developed in the '60s hold up better over time because they are generally natural and tasteful due to the limitations of the technology.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and when you are required to get creative, the results are ... more creative-sounding. and more exciting to listen to.

Keep in mind there were those folks criticizing Frank Sinatra when he started releasing albums on Reprise after leaving Capitol because of Bill Putnam's audio "gimmicks" like reverb and compression/limiting. Now we consider most anything that came from Putnam and UA back in the 60's not only legendary but also essential when recording certain sounds and styles, or recording in general. "Peg O' My Heart" was considered almost a novelty but got the reputation for being the first hit record to use that kind of reverb...which anyone can dial in and replicate today with a 50 dollar device. Ubiquitous.

Add to the list guitar effects...and there are multiple offenders here. The wah-wah pedal, the Digitech Whammy pitch-shifter pedal, onward to the modern trend of "boutique" pedal builders trying to make a better Tube Screamer than the original Tube Screamers and charging 300+ for the results...it comes down to the creativity of the person using it to create music.

These things like AutoTune are tools, and could even be considered gimmicks as they tagged Putnam's now-legendary creations when they were still considered new. It's not as much a case of critiquing their use but should be a case of critiquing how they're used. Ultimately the tool does nothing on its own - and if the song sucks and isn't compelling to begin with, it will most likely suck after being processed through whatever tools are used.

That Cher song that put AutoTune and its overuse on the map: yes it was a gimmick and a catchy as hell sonic hook on that vocal, but it was also a good song and a good production. So it became a hit and people liked it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3204 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

Craig, you are aware that McCartney is usually the least cool of the Beatles to like, and there's a whole slew of fans who think McCartney is now and always was pap?

"...You know.  Morons."

You're at least two reappraisals of Macca's hipness behind, I'd say.  I think the last of the cognoscenti gave up on the Paul-can't-rock bit somewhere between Glastonbury and "Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Context, please, context.  The point was that Craig was saying that no one would question McCartney as cornball, or apologize for a current release by the one who did Sgt. Pepper.  First off, the latter is not as sacred as he seems to think.  Second off, apologies happened a lot for his work.  What the current opinion is doesn't matter to my argument -- though I don't think McCartney is as rehabilitated as you do.

Time out. First, that was not my point. Please reread my posts and replies, they're pretty clear on their intent and the opinions being expressed.

Second, please refrain from making a point for me publicly and to another poster using something I never said or even suggested, especially if and when that wasn't my point to begin with.

If I need to clarify something I wrote or make a specific point, I'll do it myself, and if there is a misunderstanding of those words please ask and I'll try to clarify.

But I don't need or care to see someone else *assuming or claiming to assume* what I was saying then stating it as fact, especially when they missed the point(s) and misrepresented what was written three or four pages ago. The original posts and sentiments are still there to be read for the sake of accuracy.

Thank you.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: May 25, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »

I simply cannot wait for this album.  A week and a half to go....
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »

Brian Wilson (from left), Mike Love (front) and David Marks perform May 8 at the Beacon Theatre in New York. "I love the way it sounds when all of the original guys sing," Wilson says.

Bruce Johnston (from left), Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love and David Marks pose for a photo on Feb. 8. "He needs us," Jardine says of Wilson, who hasn't performed with the band since 1996. "I feel he's really happy where is right now — with us. We give him strength, and he gives us strength when we're together."

Looks like times are still pretty hard in the Beach Boys camp. We got Mike and Dave sharing the same shirt here. Anybody got a little small change for these poor guys?  Grin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: May 25, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »

lolololol, nice catch. I'm gonna guess the reason behind this is they likely have stylists. Or maybe Mike and David just enjoy swapping clothes. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »

There was a thread before this which had a picture of Brian in that shirt too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »

"...You know.  Morons."

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Time out. First, that was not my point. Please reread my posts and replies, they're pretty clear on their intent and the opinions being expressed.

Second, please refrain from making a point for me publicly and to another poster using something I never said or even suggested, especially if and when that wasn't my point to begin with.

If I need to clarify something I wrote or make a specific point, I'll do it myself, and if there is a misunderstanding of those words please ask and I'll try to clarify.

But I don't need or care to see someone else *assuming or claiming to assume* what I was saying then stating it as fact, especially when they missed the point(s) and misrepresented what was written three or four pages ago. The original posts and sentiments are still there to be read for the sake of accuracy.

Thank you.  Smiley

Obviously they aren't as clear as you think that they are, because that is exactly how I was taking your words.  It sounded to me like all the world like you were using McCartney as an example of how people should not criticize Brian Wilson as being uphip, because no one ever criticized Paul for that or worried about that since he made Sgt. Pepper or the White Album.  If that wasn't your point, I don't understand what you were trying to say at all.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: May 25, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »

Brian Wilson (from left), Mike Love (front) and David Marks perform May 8 at the Beacon Theatre in New York. "I love the way it sounds when all of the original guys sing," Wilson says.

Bruce Johnston (from left), Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love and David Marks pose for a photo on Feb. 8. "He needs us," Jardine says of Wilson, who hasn't performed with the band since 1996. "I feel he's really happy where is right now — with us. We give him strength, and he gives us strength when we're together."

Looks like times are still pretty hard in the Beach Boys camp. We got Mike and Dave sharing the same shirt here. Anybody got a little small change for these poor guys?  Grin
They so Po' they have to share shirts,,look what downloading their music illegally has done to them..They are Ghetto now.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »

I think Bruce wears A LOT of Mike's shirt too.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3212 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »

"...You know.  Morons."

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Thank you.  Smiley

Obviously they aren't as clear as you think that they are, because that is exactly how I was taking your words.  It sounded to me like all the world like you were using McCartney as an example of how people should not criticize Brian Wilson as being uphip, because no one ever criticized Paul for that or worried about that since he made Sgt. Pepper or the White Album.  If that wasn't your point, I don't understand what you were trying to say at all.

Two words to sum it up: No asterisks. That's it. If I'm being too obtuse on that point, I'm tempted to say reread my posts from a few pages ago before going around telling others what I said or what I meant. Because in the words of Cosmo Kramer, "You're waaaayyyy off." And you shouldn't put thoughts or words in other peoples' mouths anyway, let them clarify or restate or explain or whatever in their own words. Less misunderstandings and hard feelings, right?

Again, just don't put words in my mouth or assume things if you really don't know or are unable to understand something. I'd appreciate that. And if more clarification is needed, I'm happy to provide it.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

I'm replaying the iTunes samples over and over today. This album is SOOOO good. I seriously can't believe. Beaches in Mind and Strange World make me teary eyed (glad this board is anonymous - I'd never admit that to any human I know!!!). Almost every song is just too good (private life probably the weakest of the bunch... maybe shelter too....)

After reading that FANTASTIC article at vcstar.com, I keep thinking about how much of a gift this is to all us Beach Boys fans. And now, confirmed by the vcstar.com article, it's crystal clear that Brian was a DRIVING FORCE behind this project and is loving it. All you Brianista Mike Love-hating naysayers can go suck it!!  Grin I mean, the idea that for some time now he's been thinking about the LAST song on the LAST Beach Boy's record, "Summer's Gone", is just amazing and extremely touching. Being the wuss that I am, it kinda makes me teary eyed as well. 

I cannot wait for this album to come out. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS ALBUM TO COME OUT!!!!!!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: May 25, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »

So my question is this -- what are you talking about?  Jon's review had nothing to do with asterisks, so what is your point?  Jon was saying that music snobs who like the BB because of Pet Sounds can't be bothered more than likely with something that sounds like MIU or BB85.  A large part of the problem is that Brian is at heart a square and corny guy who makes square and corny music, and someone listening to the new album looking for Pet Sounds 2012 is going to hate it.  Where in there do you see asterisks?  Your point that Brian made "hip" music from 63-66 is noted, but at heart I am not sure he was making music for himself during those years, but rather music as competition.  No one is saying that the album is "lesser" than any other album (if anything the review makes me hopeful that I agree with Mr. Doe who says this is the best BB album not counting Love You since Holland).  We are just saying that some music fans don't just listen to the music and react to how they feel about it but add baggage in terms of their ideology, and the problem is particularly acute for Brian's music.  To prove that, play someone "Johnny Carson" and see what happens.  You say that we don't explain away McCartney's music like that and reference the most recent album.  To which I say, heck yes they did, look at London Town.  Help me understand what you are trying to say.  I am honestly trying to understand you, but if you brush me off with a two word reply to my request for clarification, you lead me to believe that you don't care whether I get what you are saying or not.  You say I am putting words in your mouth, but you aren't showing me from your words where I am doing this.  I am reacting to things like this:  

"Did we go around telling people who liked Sgt. Pepper and the White Album similar things when his latest album of love ballads and songs came out? Maybe we did and I missed it"

And I am saying people did go around and say that when albums like London Town came out.

"Did he embrace the sappy, corny balladeer image after running from it for a few decades? Did he do it with a wink and a nod? Or was it just the album he wanted to make?"

He's been seen as the sappy, corny balladeer for decades.  Why do you think that Silly Love Songs was written?  What about the reviews for Red Rose Speedway when it came out?  To me the latest album isn't a case of McCartney embracing something he ran from as much as just taking it to the logical conclusion.

"I think with Brian and the Beach Boys in general, there is a double-edged sword when they're labeled a certain way. They're called hip, you play a record like "Ballad Of Ole Betsy" for someone who you've told about their being hip, and the reaction may be "What?" Or it may be "Damn, that's great!". Then get someone who had their girlfriend dancing on their shoulders at an outdoor BB concert to "Fun Fun Fun" and play them an album cut like "You Still Believe In Me", and they might say "What?" or "Damn, that's great!""

I think everyone agrees with that -- but Jon was addressing a specific audience, with a specific mindset.  You are trying to generalize, I think.  And while that's fine, that doesn't remove the need for Jon's point.  There is a group of people who only like the artsy music that the BB put out, that think that an album like Keeping the Summer Alive is pretty worthless crap because of what it stands for.  Jon is saying that if you approach the music like that, you will hate the new album.  And you probably hate a lot of Brian's music because so much of it is corny.  After Pet Sounds, think about what he did -- Smiley Smile, "Busy Doin' Nothin", "I Went to Sleep", Love You, "Shortnin' Bread", the list goes on.  And let's face it -- with its references to exotica, tiki, Americana, Smile itself is full of "square" elements too.  The square elements may be seen as "hip" by someone in how they are crafted, but still the parts come from Brian's love of things like the Four Freshman.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3215 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »

I think Bruce wears A LOT of Mike's shirt too.

Somehow I suspect none of the others wear Al's shirts. Although now the image of Brian barely able to move his arms because he's wearing a shirt 12 sizes too small for him has become the highlight of my afternoon...
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Basically, I agree with everything Jeff Mason says so eloquently above.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3217 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

There was a thread before this which had a picture of Brian in that shirt too.

It was the thread for Beach Boys day in....forgot which town.
There's also a picture of Al with that shirt.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3218 on: May 25, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3219 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: May 25, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »

Another entry into the vast "The Beach Boys oddities" catalogue. Great.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:50:45 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3221 on: May 25, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

Let's start a poll and find out who people think wears the shirt better.

Make sure there is a "none of the above" option.

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

Now this just getting damn spooky. What is it with this particular model of red and green paisley patterned shirt? There must be some hidden message(s) the band are sending out to us through their current shirt atire. Is it a mark of their new found unity, harmony and group togetherness? And if so, why haven't we seen Bruce wearing one? Have we uncovered a subtle new inter-band conspiracy against Bruce?? I note that Al is sporting a short sleeved version of the shirt, while the others are all wearing long-sleeved. Is he sitting on the fence by not going the whole hog with the long sleeved model??

Or is this a modern equivalent of the stripy shirts they used to wear in the early '60s? We fans deserve to know!!  Grin
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »

Let's start a poll and find out who people think wears the shirt better.

Make sure there is a "none of the above" option.

Let's start a Shirts that hurt thread!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »

Now this just getting damn spooky. What is it with this particular model of red and green paisley patterned shirt? There must be some hidden message(s) the band are sending out to us through their current shirt atire. Is it a mark of their new found unity, harmony and group togetherness? And if so, why haven't we seen Bruce wearing one? Have we uncovered a subtle new inter-band conspiracy against Bruce?? I note that Al is sporting a short sleeved version of the shirt, while the others are all wearing long-sleeved. Is he sitting on the fence by not going the whole hog with the long sleeved model??

Or is this a modern equivalent of the stripy shirts they used to wear in the early '60s? We fans deserve to know!!  Grin

Play the a cappella part of TWGMTR backwards....you'll get your answer.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx