gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:43:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1051350 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 24, 2012, 06:26:59 PM »

And as some folks here suspected, That's Why God Made the Radio originated as a BW saying. Of course.

It depends on who you believe. A few nights ago on Charlie Rose it was Brian who said it originated from Joe Thomas.  Undecided

No, he said the song came from Joe Thomas. Not the title. A slight distinction, I grant you, but a distinction nonetheless.

Wait, what? I thought it was the opposite - Joe Thomas came up with the title, not the song.

Wilson had dreamed up the title at dinner one night in Chicago in the late '90s after attending a White Sox game with Thomas, Survivor rocker Jim Peterik and recording engineer Larry Millas. After the meal, the foursome raced over to Peterik's home studio and, with Wilson pounding out a little boogie-woogie rhythm on the piano, they laid down a rough demo.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/24/the-beach-boys-are-making-radio-waves/#ixzz1vqB8WEQt
- vcstar.com
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 24, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Hrm, it indeed conflicts with Brian saying a few days ago that Joe Thomas came up with the title first.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »

Back cover looks very nice :D

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »

i kinda put more into what Joe says on this than Brian.  
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

BTW: the suite is almost 13 minutes, more then enough Smiley

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

Plus, those quotes come from a Brian "email interview", and I doubt Bri has ever responded to an email.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: May 24, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »

The world we know as The Beach Boys can drive a person crazy!!!!

I thought - and, please, correct me if I'm wrong - that there was a previous thread, what a couple of months ago (the Mafia thread), which indicated that the song "That's Why God Made The Radio" was composed (maybe copyrighted?) by Thomas, Peterik, and  Millas - no Brian Wilson on the credit. Wasn't there also speculation as to how Brian was to be credited on the new recording, which he eventually was. On top of that, a week ago Brian credits Thomas, which, has been stated, can't be taken as total fact.

Now, Joe Thomas states that Brian was in on the song from the very beginning. Maybe old Joe learned a valuable lesson from his previous dealings with Brian. police
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: May 24, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »

Plus, those quotes come from a Brian "email interview", and I doubt Bri has ever responded to an email.

Speaking of, I wonder if in '97 Brian sent "Spring Vacation" to Carl via e-mail. Interesting thought.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: May 24, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »

I thought - and, please, correct me if I'm wrong - that there was a previous thread, what a couple of months ago (the Mafia thread), which indicated that the song "That's Why God Made The Radio" was composed (maybe copyrighted?) by Thomas, Peterik, and  Millas - no Brian Wilson on the credit. Wasn't there also speculation as to how Brian was to be credited on the new recording, which he eventually was. On top of that, a week ago Brian credits Thomas, which, has been stated, can't be taken as total fact.

Now, Joe Thomas states that Brian was in on the song from the very beginning. Maybe old Joe learned a valuable lesson from his previous dealings with Brian. police

I don't think it was ever copyrighted. I checked the BMI databases. The song was mentioned on some threads in another forum as having been written by Peterik and Thomas (or Peterik, Thomas and Millas) for the Beach Boys. It was speculated on this board by myself and others that perhaps Brian had come up with the title and the rest of the guys then wrote the song (this has happened a few other times in recent years). But then we actually heard the tune, and it also seems clear that however it originated, Brian clearly had a major role in how the chorus turned out.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: May 24, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »

What would be so crazy about the fact that Brian uses internet -at least for mails- ?!

I read the rest of the interview, thought it ended when i saw the picture gallery, teehee!
but yeah, quite awesome stuff dawg! interesting that Brian finally decided it won't be the final BB album, maybe tthat explains why it took so long to reveal the album title..

So maybe his "rock'n'roll album" will end up being a BB album?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: May 24, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »

I don't think it was ever copyrighted. I checked the BMI databases. The song was mentioned on some threads in another forum as having been written by Peterik and Thomas (or Peterik, Thomas and Millas) for the Beach Boys. It was speculated on this board by myself and others that perhaps Brian had come up with the title and the rest of the guys then wrote the song (this has happened a few other times in recent years). But then we actually heard the tune, and it also seems clear that however it originated, Brian clearly had a major role in how the chorus turned out.

this is what i'm going with.  similar to "summer's gone"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »

I might, too.

But, you have to admit, we really didn't see Brian's name linked with the song early on (I know, I know, you can't believe everything you read), and, Brian did appear pretty convincing with his direct "Joe Thomas" response (I know, I know, you ABSOLUTELY can't believe everything Brian says).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »

Well, Summer's Gone is interesting, isn't it? Brian has a verse, and a concept -- the last song on the last Beach Boys album -- and it's almost as if he forces Bon Jovi to finish it for him.  Cheesy

Overall, though, I have to say the article goes beyond my expectations in many ways. Brian wasn't just working on this album for most of 2011. He was tinkering with it for the last two or three years. And he wasn't just using old songs -- he was reworking fragments into new compositions. He hoped to make a last Beach Boys album, and worked to get Mike on board.

It's amazing, really. While Brian might not have the endurance he did several decades ago, he really seems to have been a force behind this album, both in conception and execution. Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 24, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »

I might, too.

But, you have to admit, we really didn't see Brian's name linked with the song early on (I know, I know, you can't believe everything you read), and, Brian did appear pretty convincing with his direct "Joe Thomas" response (I know, I know, you ABSOLUTELY can't believe everything Brian says).

He also said in a separate interview (at the Record Room) that he and Joe started it in 1998 and finished it up "four or five months ago."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 24, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

it's also very nice to hear Joe say Brian  had a great time recording with the group again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »

Speaking of, I wonder if in '97 Brian sent "Spring Vacation" to Carl via e-mail. Interesting thought.

He did. It was a MIDI file and it took a long time to send. Carl had his speakers up super loud listening to an old Beach Boys CD. Between you and I, seltaeb, Crl shat himself mightily once the thing started playing.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »

He did. It was a MIDI file and it took a long time to send. Carl had his speakers up super loud listening to an old Beach Boys CD. Between you and I, seltaeb, Crl shat himself mightily once the thing started playing.

Woooord doood.

Serious tho, mp3's were invented in '95. It's not completely far-fetched, is it? Maybe it is, lol.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 24, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »

Woooord doood.

Serious tho, mp3's were invented in '95. It's not completely far-fetched, is it? Maybe it is, lol.

It was invented in '95 but only became common later. I just wanted to make jokes about MIDI, really.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: May 24, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Oh really? That's good to hear. I thought this thread suggested otherwise a few days ago.

This thread suggested lots of things, many of which have turned out not to be the case.

Remember when everyone was convinced that "That's Why God Made The Radio" was a post-Imagination-solo-album leftover, a second-rate knock-off written by Joe Thomas and his cronies with only a token Brian credit?  Well, turns out Brian started it, and it was written by Wilson, Thomas, Peterik, and Millas all in the same room together -- with Brian at the piano.  And that Brian had it earmarked for the Beach Boys from the moment he wrote it, and only shelved it after Carl died.

Nobody knows nothin'.

That article also contains a great quote from Thomas about a potential next album:  "All I know is the choice will be 100 percent Brian's."  Guess he didn't get the memo about Brian being everyone's puppet...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »

Craig, you are aware that McCartney is usually the least cool of the Beatles to like, and there's a whole slew of fans who think McCartney is now and always was pap?

"...You know.  Morons."
      -- Gene Wilder, "Blazing Saddles"

You're at least two reappraisals of Macca's hipness behind, I'd say.  I think the last of the cognoscenti gave up on the Paul-can't-rock bit somewhere between Glastonbury and "Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »

it just feels goofy to very prematurely release something incomplete and fragmented that are meant to be part of a bigger whole on an album, later finishing it and re-releasing some of the same songs in their correct context.

Think of it as an homage to "Smiley Smile".

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

Think of it as an homage to "Smiley Smile".

...In fact, the more I think about it, the more perfect that seems.  After solo tours, a finished Smile, acclaimed solo projects like TLOS and Gershwin, a tremendous 50th-anniversary tour, and a new career-capping album, what's left for Brian to give us as an encore?

A new fragmentary unfinished maybe-masterpiece for all us die-hards to speculate over.

Merry Christmas, everybody,
Jon Blum
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »

It's quite sad that these stellar suite songs have been divorced from their original context. I honestly think they would've likely only sounded better in the company of an album which is thematically linked. If the powers that be really wanted to have an album out to capitalise (capitolise?  LOL) on this wave of 50th Anniversary hype they would have been better off using what songs they aren't part of the suite like TWGMTR, Shelter etc. and worked on finding something else out of their still adequately sized unreleased catalogue/some rock n' roll tunes to pad it out a bit.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3198 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

Very interesting interview, if Joe Thomas's version of events is to be believed.

Just listening to the iTunes samples again, and I don't hear much Bruce. Maybe he's on the bits that aren't on the previews.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3199 on: May 25, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »

So, I think my guesses that some stuff was specifically written for the Beach Boys in the 90s weren't that far off.

Great article btw. Sounds like a very creative feeling. That's cool.

And now we know who's to blame for the shorts  LOL

Brian Wilson (from left), Mike Love (front) and David Marks perform May 8 at the Beacon Theatre in New York. "I love the way it sounds when all of the original guys sing," Wilson says.

Ojai photographer Guy Webster spent six hours in February with The Beach Boys at a beach house in Malibu's Latigo Canyon. Pictured are Bruce Johnston (from left), Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love and David Marks. "We rented the house for the day and had the white piano delivered," Webster said. "They brought tons of clothes, so I helped art direct. Bruce was wearing shorts and I told him, 'Look, you've got good legs ... leave the shorts on. That's very Beach Boy. Let the other guys wear long pants."

Bruce Johnston (from left), Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love and David Marks pose for a photo on Feb. 8. "He needs us," Jardine says of Wilson, who hasn't performed with the band since 1996. "I feel he's really happy where is right now — with us. We give him strength, and he gives us strength when we're together."

Ojai photographer Guy Webster, who's known The Beach Boys since the early 1960s, took this shot in February at a beach house in Malibu's Latigo Canyon. "We all ate together, talked, hung out. Even Brian was up for it," Webster said. "Everything was great. I couldn't believe it, because these are guys who really haven't hung out together for many years. We joked around a lot. Everybody was smiling and happy." Pictured are Bruce Johnston (from left), Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and David Marks.

Original Beach Boys members Brian Wilson (from left), David Marks, Mike Love and Al Jardine perform May 8 at the Beacon Theater in New York. "We give each other little looks and glances on stage," Jardine says. "It's a little transfer of energy that keeps us going. … You need a mess of help to stand alone, to quote one of our songs."

The 1962 Beach Boys lineup featured Dennis Wilson (from left), David Marks, Carl Wilson, Mike Love and Brian Wilson. Fifty years later, Marks, Love and Brian Wilson are back on tour together. Not pictured is Al Jardine, who had left the group briefly to go back to school. Jardine returned in '63 around the same time Marks left.

The Beach Boys (Al Jardine, from left, David Marks, Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston) are photographed by longtime pal Guy Webster of Ojai. "They trust me," says Webster, whose iconic shots of the band from 1966-67 are featured prominently in 2011's "SMiLE" boxed set. "I've been taking photos of them for 40 years, you know?"

The cover for The Beach Boys new album was designed by Los Angeles-based art director Lawrence Azerrad, best known for his work with Wilco. He spent three months on the project, came up with about 15 different design concepts, and created more than 80 covers before the band picked this jewel-toned wave design.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:14:19 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx