gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:49:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1051420 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »

Thanks for posting that. For all of you wondering about the suite, your answer is there. The first half of the intended full suite is incomplete. Most of the second half is on the new album, sans a track called "I'd Go Anywhere", which is incomplete too.

i'm confused.

Whole suite = incomplete.

1st half of suite = incomplete, not on album.
2nd half of suite = Strange World, From There To Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone (on the new album) + I'd Go Anywhere (meant to go after Strange World, before FTTBA, but incomplete, therefore not on the album)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »

"Hey guys. I know you're working on new material, but let's release a very unfinished work in fragmented form because the Beach Boys can't release an album after the beginning of summer. That's absurd. Fun in the sun, guys. Fun. In. The. Sun."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:48:51 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 24, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »

Thanks for posting that. For all of you wondering about the suite, your answer is there. The first half of the intended full suite is incomplete. Most of the second half is on the new album, sans a track called "I'd Go Anywhere", which is incomplete too.

i'm confused.

I think there was supposed to be basically an album length suite, but it wasn't finished. So then they figured they'd do the "Strange World", "I'd Go Anywhere", "From There to Back Again", "Pacific Coast Highway", and "Summer's Gone" thing, but then apparently "I'd Go Anywhere" wasn't finished, so they took that out and released the rest.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:24:08 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 24, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

"Hey guys. I know you're working on new material, but let's release an unfinished work because the Beach Boys can't release an album after the beginning of summer. That's absurd. Fun in the sun, guys. Fun. In. The. Sun."

I don't get that impression at all. I think the suite was probably intended to be a BW solo project, and as the group was integrated into the work, the decision was made to use part of it for the end of the record.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 24, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »

"Hey guys. I know you're working on new material, but let's release a very unfinished work in fragmented form because the Beach Boys can't release an album after the beginning of summer. That's absurd. Fun in the sun, guys. Fun. In. The. Sun."

Eh, maybe.It's still a pretty solid album. I think it's more of the fact they want to release it while the tour is in full swing, as opposed to winding down. Striking while the iron is hot. There'll be another album after this  Ibet.

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: May 24, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »

Eh, maybe.It's still a pretty solid album. I think it's more of the fact they want to release it while the tour is in full swing, as opposed to winding down. Striking while the iron is hot. There'll be another album after this  Ibet.

Then hold the suite shtuff off until the next album when it's, y'know, finished.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 24, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Also, I wonder if Capitol decided that a full album suite from The Beach Boys wouldn't give them enough sales.

(and yeah, I know they released SMiLE last year, but that was being sold to a different market. The SMiLE Sessions isn't and wasn't being sold in Wal Mart. This is).

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: May 24, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »

Also, I wonder if Capitol decided that a full album suite from The Beach Boys wouldn't give them enough sales.

(and yeah, I know they released SMiLE last year, but that was being sold to a different market. The SMiLE Sessions isn't and wasn't being sold in Wal Mart. This is).

i'm not gonna blame capitol if the songs were incomplete.  Would you rather capitol have forced brian to finish it?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 24, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »

No, not at all. I don't care either way, honestly, it was just a thought.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »

It doesn't even have to take up the entire album, it just feels goofy to very prematurely release something incomplete and fragmented that are meant to be part of a bigger whole on an album, later finishing it and re-releasing some of the same songs in their correct context. These guys have a vast unreleased catalog as well as five songwriters, which isn't even including Joe Thomas, etc. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

i'm confused.

Whole suite = incomplete.

1st half of suite = incomplete, not on album.
2nd half of suite = Strange World, From There To Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone (on the new album) + I'd Go Anywhere (meant to go after Strange World, before FTTBA, but incomplete, therefore not on the album)

i'm a bit less confused (but still), thanks.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 24, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

The article never said they were re-releasing the part of the suite that will be on this album.
I'd assume this part of the suite is considered 'done', and whatever is being worked on that gets completed will be a part of another album.
I guess by necessity, that would make them two different suites!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: May 24, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »

The article never said they were re-releasing the part of the suite that will be on this album.

We we get to put it together ourselves. grrr8 ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 24, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »

but i thought this was the last album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 24, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

Wow! Thanks, Slim Shady for posting that article. Very informative and positive.

A lot of fun, fun, fun and good vibrations coming from the Beach Boys (sorry, lost my head again). But, seriously...first, good friend Al Jardine goes on Charlie Rose and says that he would like to continue touring after the reunion tour, and now Cousin Brian leaves the door open for another Beach Boys' recording.

AND THE NEW ALBUM ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!  AS Bob Dylan (Happy Birthday, Bob!) says, "It's all good..."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: May 24, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

It doesn't even have to take up the entire album, it just feels goofy to very prematurely release something incomplete and fragmented that are meant to be part of a bigger whole on an album, later finishing it and re-releasing some of the same songs in their correct context. These guys have a vast unreleased catalog as well as five songwriters, which isn't even including Joe Thomas, etc. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

See but I think Brian and the band decided on this. I don't think these songs were like ripped from the suite against Brian's will, and are now being released. Apparently the stuff that's on the record works, and so it goes. I'd surmise that if the remaining material is any good, it will see release, either under the banner of The Beach Boys or Brian Wilson, solo artist. So I'm not too worried about this. Keep in mind we are also getting some new material on the greatest hits set. Maybe those songs are being held onto for that. Plus there's the upcoming box set, so maybe there will be stuff from these recent sessions on that too. And on top of that, I'm also feeling pretty confident from what I've read that the group is going to release another album with all new, unreleased songs after That's Why God Made the Radio, so I figure the guys will give us the best work they have.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 24, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »

See but I think Brian and the band decided on this. I don't think these songs were like ripped from the suite against Brian's will, and are now being released. Apparently the stuff that's on the record works, and so it goes. I'd surmise that if the remaining material is any good, it will see release, either under the banner of The Beach Boys or Brian Wilson, solo artist. So I'm not too worried about this. Keep in mind we are also getting some new material on the greatest hits set. Maybe those songs are being held onto for that. Plus there's the upcoming box set, so maybe there will be stuff from these recent sessions on that too. And on top of that, I'm also feeling pretty confident from what I've read that the group is going to release another album with all new, unreleased songs after That's Why God Made the Radio, so I figure the guys will give us the best work they have.

I doubt they were ripped from the suite, but still. I'm sure it was a matter of them just asking Brian if they could use parts of it (as to ensure a summer release date) and him agreeing, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily a good decision. One would hope these guys learned their lesson from the cherry-picking of the late 60s, but naw.

I'm not torn up about it, honestly, it just seems like a very strange move. Like, finish your work, and then release it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 24, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

As much as i'd love a new album long suite, I think 5 songs, all INCREDIBLE songs, is enough :D

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 24, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »

It sounds as though Brian had prepared a lot of material for a Beach Boys album, though. The title track, Shelter, Bill and Sue, his collabs with Mike -- and none of that was intended for the suite. I suspect they just picked the best, finished songs from a larger batch.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3169 on: May 24, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

So, 'Spring Vacation' was originally called "Lay Down Your Burden", and was the song that Carl was originally supposed to sing. Interesting...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 24, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »

So, 'Spring Vacation' was originally called "Lay Down Your Burden", and was the song that Carl was originally supposed to sing. Interesting...

The whole article has a ton of interesting info related to the new album, as well as a few spots that were kind of touching, including the part you just mentioned. Really great read.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »

And as some folks here suspected, That's Why God Made the Radio originated as a BW saying. Of course.

It depends on who you believe. A few nights ago on Charlie Rose it was Brian who said it originated from Joe Thomas.  Undecided
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »

And as some folks here suspected, That's Why God Made the Radio originated as a BW saying. Of course.

It depends on who you believe. A few nights ago on Charlie Rose it was Brian who said it originated from Joe Thomas.  Undecided

No, he said the song came from Joe Thomas. Not the title. A slight distinction, I grant you, but a distinction nonetheless.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »

Mike: who wrote this song? (Soul Searchin')
Brian: Andy Paley

Seems like on certain occasions Brian will credit / blame someone else for the totality of the job.

We get fragmented information and insist on bulding our own complete portrayals of reality based on it. Let us not hurry into building theories. We might have to change them when the next article appears.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »

No, he said the song came from Joe Thomas. Not the title. A slight distinction, I grant you, but a distinction nonetheless.

Wait, what? I thought it was the opposite - Joe Thomas came up with the title, not the song.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx