gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680841 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:26:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1062603 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: May 10, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »

I'm in the camp that would rather see new material than reworks of unreleased songs, or even marginally released songs.  I don't understand why anybody would want to hear a (by most accounts) mediocre song reworked or rewritten because it has 'potential'.  Just write something new (which it appears they have! I win). 

I'd rather the album contain at least a few good songs that I'm already familiar with either from bootlegs or unreleased recordings than have to worry about them padding out the record with some newly-written, over-nostalgic tripe just to meet the quota of a 12-13 track album.

Sounds like a grand total of one track (Daybreak) has circulated. If AGD isn't familiar with any of the others, that's about as definitive as it gets. And I agree with you, but it sounds like the decision has been made.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2101 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

I'd rather the album contain at least a few good songs that I'm already familiar with either from bootlegs or unreleased recordings than have to worry about them padding out the record with some newly-written, over-nostalgic tripe just to meet the quota of a 12-13 track album.

I can see how the band would feel a bit of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" here. Most fans have seemed to criticize them for continually mining old compositions and recordings for "new" albums. What's worse, they often pick seemingly weak material (e.g. "When Girls Get Together").

At this point, I'm all for new material we haven't heard. I love tracks like "You're Still a Mystery", but at this point even a track like that is an approximately 17-year-old recording. Stick that stuff on a "rarities" archival collection at this point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2102 on: May 10, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »

Sounds like a grand total of one track (Daybreak) has circulated. If AGD isn't familiar with any of the others, that's about as definitive as it gets. And I agree with you, but it sounds like the decision has been made.

We have indications that while we haven't *heard* much on this album before, at least some of it comes from the 1998 Joe Thomas era. If it's new to me and it's good, then I don't care when it was written. But it brings up an interesting question. Would anyone have a problem if, say, half the album (or more) was written in 1998 and maybe even some of the backing tracks came from that era?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: May 10, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

Yeah Hey Jude! Some others have mentioned that we have no idea what the 'vault' releases are going to be to coincide with this anniversary, they may have all kinds of unreleased stuff planned to come out, so they can't include it on the new album since it'll be on the boxset or re-releases or whatever they have planned.  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2104 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

We have indications that while we haven't *heard* much on this album before, at least some of it comes from the 1998 Joe Thomas era. If it's new to me and it's good, then I don't care when it was written. But it brings up an interesting question. Would anyone have a problem if, say, half the album (or more) was written in 1998 and maybe even some of the backing tracks came from that era?

I would have no problem if it was revealed that Brian wrote three-quarters of it under a tree in San Diego in 1978.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: May 10, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

I would have no problem if it was revealed that Brian wrote three-quarters of it under a tree in San Diego in 1978.  Grin

I was just informed that, in fact, The Private Life Of Bill And Sue was originally entitled Under A Tree In San Diego.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »

Would anyone have a problem if, say, half the album (or more) was written in 1998 and maybe even some of the backing tracks came from that era?

To the first question, no. I expect that's actually the case.

To the second question, I doubt that happened. Brian was recording tracks throughout last year.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:14:58 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: May 10, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »

I was just informed that, in fact, The Private Life Of Bill And Sue was originally entitled Under A Tree In San Diego.

Aw man, why didn't he kept that title ! (i'm from SD)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »

Yup- it was originally planned to be a track on the unreleased album 'Remember The San Diego Zoo'.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2109 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »

A whole different question: Does anyone know if the LP mastering will be the same in the US as in Europe? SMiLE 2004 EU didn't sound that well, while TSS sounded great. Do I have to get a US pressing?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
catman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: May 10, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »

Whatever happened to Frankie Avalon,the original version to Everything I Need and It's Over? Any of these would be really awesome to see...but I dont have my hopes up...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:30 PM »

Whatever happened to Frankie Avalon,the original version to Everything I Need and It's Over? Any of these would be really awesome to see...but I dont have my hopes up...

Well, Frankie Avalon is a rough demo from the Paley sessions. There are at least a couple of dozen other such songs. It doesn't look like any of them are on the new record.

Everything I Need was released on the Wilsons record in 1997. Jeff Foskett released a version with Brian that restored some of the original arrangement. Given that two versions are out, I'm not sure why anyone would want to release the song again.

And I'm not familiar with a Beach Boys song called "It's Over." There's one called "It's Over Now," which was released on the 1993 boxed set. Again, given that the song has been released, I'm not sure why it would be on the new album.
catman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: May 10, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »

Well, Frankie Avalon is a rough demo from the Paley sessions. There are at least a couple of dozen other such songs. It doesn't look like any of them are on the new record.

Everything I Need was released on the Wilsons record in 1997. Jeff Foskett released a version with Brian that restored some of the original arrangement. Given that two versions are out, I'm not sure why anyone would want to release the song again.

And I'm not familiar with a Beach Boys song called "It's Over." There's one called "It's Over Now," which was released on the 1993 boxed set. Again, given that the song has been released, I'm not sure why it would be on the new album.

Thanks man. Been out of the bw loop for a little while. Was not awre of the 97 version of EIN. Neat version. Something about the rough version of the other demo i like...this one is great. found it on youtube. Really refined. Great stuff.

Yes, "Its over now" is what i meant. Wow what a song...i get your point on all of these. I guess I just felt like these songs never got there debut as beach boys material. IOV from 93 box is the carl wilson version correct? Call me crazy but I like the song better being banged out on piano like on the demos...

sorry...this thread isn't for my opinion on such matters...back to topic
Can someone summarize where things are at now with this album? Whats the release date?...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »

Thanks man. Been out of the bw loop for a little while. Was not awre of the 97 version of EIN. Neat version. Something about the rough version of the other demo i like...this one is great. found it on youtube. Really refined. Great stuff.

Yes, "Its over now" is what i meant. Wow what a song...i get your point on all of these. I guess I just felt like these songs never got there debut as beach boys material. IOV from 93 box is the carl wilson version correct? Call me crazy but I like the song better being banged out on piano like on the demos...

sorry...this thread isn't for my opinion on such matters...back to topic
Can someone summarize where things are at now with this album? Whats the release date?...

No problem! (97 version of EiN here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lsx7YrCqU0. Foskett version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXleBlUjSM).

Album comes out June 5. All new Brian Wilson songs (seemingly) except for a Mike Love tune originally written in 1978. About 38 minutes long. (http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Why-God-Made-Radio/dp/B007U1FEJE/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1) Has a closing suite that people who have heard advance copies are raving about.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: May 11, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »

Looks like a bonus track in Japan:

Copy/paste from translated HMV Japan page:

Songs

Think About The Days

The God made the radio - God it does to make, the radio

Isn't It Time

Spring Vacation

The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

Shelter

Daybreak Over The Ocean

Beaches In Mind

Strange World

From There To Back Again

Pacific Coast Highway

Summer's Gone

Revival (2012 [vuajiyon]) of love (bonus track/truck)

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hmv.co.jp%2Fen%2Fproduct%2Fdetail%2F5045005&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »

Revival of Love? Could this be another Mike penned song?  LOL
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »

Looks like a bonus track in Japan:

Copy/paste from translated HMV Japan page:

Songs

Think About The Days

The God made the radio - God it does to make, the radio

Isn't It Time

Spring Vacation

The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

Shelter

Daybreak Over The Ocean

Beaches In Mind

Strange World

From There To Back Again

Pacific Coast Highway

Summer's Gone

Revival (2012 [vuajiyon]) of love (bonus track/truck)

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hmv.co.jp%2Fen%2Fproduct%2Fdetail%2F5045005&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Meh. Sounds like a remake of Summer of Love with Mike's dreadful lyrics. I hate it already.

Wink

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 11, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »

Revival of Love? Could this be another Mike penned song?  LOL
Can it be Waves of Love?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SBonilla
« Reply #2118 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

Doea "(2012 [vuajiyon]) " mean '2012 version?'
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2119 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »

that's Do It Again.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?

Couldn't say, as I have heard no such CD.  Roll Eyes

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Question for those who've heard the advance review stream: are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka: Save The Day/Fairytale, Christine/Living Doll..etc?

Grin

My impression is, nothing recycled from previously circulating material.

That's quite an achievement for these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian's had some of the melodies in his portfolio for a while, that' the nature of the guy, but for there to be nothing from PCM (previously circulating material) is gosh-darn cool.

OK, hold that thought - I'm 97.423% that "Daybreak" uses at least part of the Mike Love Not War recording: some of the bvs are identical, especially the ones that sound a lot like Christian.

I kinda figured they'd build on that anyway. The harmony sound on that was incredible, sounded just like the BB's.

I really do like Daybreak from 'Unleash The Love/Mike Love Not War' - Very mellow distant relative of 'Kokomo' with Acoustic Guitars and Steel Drums.
Superb 12 second accapella intro 'Bring Back , My Baby' , nice chorus 'As Daybreaks Over The Ocean , Moonlight Still On The Sea , Where The Waves Gentle Motion , Bring My Babe My Baby Back To Me'

Would be interesting to see how much work they have actually done to the original 2003 recording.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:38:30 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 11, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »

that's Do It Again.
Yeah it's Do It Again, did some rough translating and got "Do again". Glad to see it's surfaced somewhere else other than the Zinepak, even if it's Japan exclusive. Also on amazon.jp
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 11, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?

Couldn't say, as I have heard no such CD.  Roll Eyes

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Question for those who've heard the advance review stream: are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka: Save The Day/Fairytale, Christine/Living Doll..etc?

Grin

My impression is, nothing recycled from previously circulating material.

That's quite an achievement for these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian's had some of the melodies in his portfolio for a while, that' the nature of the guy, but for there to be nothing from PCM (previously circulating material) is gosh-darn cool.

OK, hold that thought - I'm 97.423% that "Daybreak" uses at least part of the Mike Love Not War recording: some of the bvs are identical, especially the ones that sound a lot like Christian.

I kinda figured they'd build on that anyway. The harmony sound on that was incredible, sounded just like the BB's.

I really do like Daybreak from 'Unleash The Love/Mike Love Not War' - Very mellow distant relative of 'Kokomo' with Acoustic Guitars and Steel Drums.
Superb 12 second accapella intro 'Bring Back , My Baby' , nice chorus 'As Daybreaks Over The Ocean , Moonlight Still On The Sea , Where The Waves Gentle Motion , Bring My Babe My Baby Back To Me'

Would be interesting to see how much work they have actually done to the original 2003 recording.  

Was just discussing Daybreak with a couple of posters via email. I think if the end of the album is supposed to be where the heavy stuff is at then it makes sense to have something light before that. I hope AGD's right when he says Christian's vocals are still in there, hopefully there's a cool bridge been added to it aswell.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 11, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »

good discussion of the  new album's lead and bgv's over at the Record Room board today, last page of the Mike Love interview thread.  Who sings what, etc.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 11, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

And it's here :
http://s3.excoboard.com/therecordroom/54492/907180/5
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx