gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:53:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1061856 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 05, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »

I personally think its elitist and plain stupid to taunt an entire group of fanatics with an OPINION of an album no one else has heard.  Just my two cents. It's not like AGD's opinion changes anything about the album, except our distorted perceptions.

But this is how the guy thrives and feeds his bloated self-importance. It seems to work, too, because many venerate the guy for simply knowing Beach Boys minutiae and being petty and condescending about it. It reminds me somewhat of a sado-masochistic relationship.

I couldn't disagree more -- AGD doesn't suffer fools (as I've found out myself when I've been foolish in the past) but the hint-dropping isn't about self-importance but rather about actually giving out information. *Obviously* he's not going to tell anyone confidential information that can't be shared, because not only would he stop getting that information but it would also be an unethical way to behave. But just the odd "that's not what I've heard" or "yes, that would be interesting, wouldn't it?" can, in the right context and with a bit of thought from the reader, tell us a huge amount.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 05, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »

*Obviously* he's not going to tell anyone confidential information that can't be shared, because not only would he stop getting that information but it would also be an unethical way to behave.

Maybe.  angel
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 05, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »

Do you think I'm in the know now, too? Because I might not be.  Roll Eyes
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

Difference is I've known AGD online for about 15 years, off and on, and in that time I've *very* rarely known him to make a statement of fact or a prediction about the band that hasn't turned out to be true. I've also seen him stood at the back of the stage watching gigs while I've just been in the audience, and seen him thanked in several Beach Boys related CD releases. That tends to suggest to me that he *does* have contacts inside the organisation, and *does* have information we don't have. Which makes it worthwhile trying to figure out what some of his more gnomic statements actually mean.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 05, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »

Leave AGD alone, he has no reason to tell anyone anything.
So, forget it guys.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: May 05, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »

Difference is I've known AGD online for about 15 years, off and on, and in that time I've *very* rarely known him to make a statement of fact or a prediction about the band that hasn't turned out to be true. I've also seen him stood at the back of the stage watching gigs while I've just been in the audience, and seen him thanked in several Beach Boys related CD releases. That tends to suggest to me that he *does* have contacts inside the organisation, and *does* have information we don't have. Which makes it worthwhile trying to figure out what some of his more gnomic statements actually mean.

Exactly. The man has better connections than anyone else here, with the exceptions of folks like Mark or Alan, neither of whom post much anymore. He is plugged in, but he does not tell tales out of school.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 05, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

Not sure why this has veered off in the direction of doubting the guy’s connections. People sometimes have a funny way of misconstruing something and running with it. I certainly don’t doubt that he has connections, and i don’t see how anyone could doubt that. But who cares? It’s how he behaves, his attitude, and his pettiness that, i think, make him miserable. It was a comment on his general disposition and the sort of pompous role he seems to play in the fan community, not a veiled attempt to coax him into divulging information. On the contrary, it would be cool if he didn’t say anything at all. That is all. Let’s talk about something else, please. I only commented on it because it had already been brought up by someone. How about them surf boyz?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1907 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

1. Andrew...why are you sharing your (albeit unfortunately limited) thoughts on the album with the Hoffman crowd and not us? Aren't we really your favorites?  So, you DON"T think Shelter and Isn't it Time are classics? Are they "semi" or "almost" classics, then???

2. Per Amazon, vinyl release pushed to July 3 ?!?

1 - because no-one offered me an exclusive here.  Grin  This I'll say: the last great classic BB song (or two) will shortly be arriving. Think "elegiac".

2 - neither know nor give  flying one.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:00:46 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 05, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »

i hope the album is solid as a whole.  glad we're getting a couple classics though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1909 on: May 05, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Not sure why this has veered off in the direction of doubting the guy’s connections. People sometimes have a funny way of misconstruing something and running with it. I certainly don’t doubt that he has connections, and i don’t see how anyone could doubt that. But who cares? It’s how he behaves, his attitude, and his pettiness that, i think, make him miserable. It was a comment on his general disposition and the sort of pompous role he seems to play in the fan community, not a veiled attempt to coax him into divulging information. On the contrary, it would be cool if he didn’t say anything at all. That is all. Let’s talk about something else, please. I only commented on it because it had already been brought up by someone. How about them surf boyz?

My dear sir, I may be many things, including much of what you say, but miserable I'm not. Especially not right now. Oh no.  Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1910 on: May 05, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

My dear sir, I may be many things, including much of what you say, but miserable I'm not. Especially not right now. Oh no.  Grin

Through my beer goggles, I just read......

My dear sir, I may be many things, including much of what you say, but English I'm not. Especially not right now. Oh no

For some reason I suddenly thought you were Spanish. Why? I don't know.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 05, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

And would your un-miserableness be related to your having heard a certain new album by a California band?
(I feel like one of the panel on the old "What's My Line" tv game show.)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1912 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »

Is the answer a mineral?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 05, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »

See, there is a BIG difference, for me, between getting excited because of certain information and being taunted by certain information.  This particular information has me EXTREMELY excited. I thank you AGD, didn't mean to spark off something of this nature.  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 05, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »

I say he's sitting on a copy at home and digging it. God bless him!! Lips Sealed
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1915 on: May 06, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

Is the answer a mineral?

The answer is an emotion: mellow.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 06, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »

1. Andrew...why are you sharing your (albeit unfortunately limited) thoughts on the album with the Hoffman crowd and not us? Aren't we really your favorites?  So, you DON"T think Shelter and Isn't it Time are classics? Are they "semi" or "almost" classics, then???

1 - because no-one offered me an exclusive here.  Grin  This I'll say: the last great classic BB song (or two) will shortly be arriving. Think "elegiac".

Um... but is there any chance that the upcoming one WON'T be the very last BBs album?  Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1917 on: May 06, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »

Um... but is there any chance that the upcoming one WON'T be the very last BBs album?  Huh

Everything is possible, not everything is probable.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 06, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »

OK, cheers, point firmly taken  Wink

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 06, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »

bbc guy:

Tim Chipping ‏ @timchipping
I can't quite believe it, but they've really pulled it off. Best Beach Boys album since 1979. You will weep.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:43 AM »

bbc guy:

I can't quite believe it, but they've really pulled it off. Best Beach Boys album since 1979. You will weep.

*drools*

*realizes that, contrary to prior firm statements, he's interested in twitter stuff re: BBs album all of a sudden*

*bows head in shame*

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 06, 2012, 05:32:36 AM »

bbc guy:

Would be better if it were best since 1977... LA Light is fine I guess, so looking forward to it!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 06, 2012, 08:00:32 AM »

1. Andrew...why are you sharing your (albeit unfortunately limited) thoughts on the album with the Hoffman crowd and not us? Aren't we really your favorites?  So, you DON"T think Shelter and Isn't it Time are classics? Are they "semi" or "almost" classics, then???

1 - because no-one offered me an exclusive here.  Grin  This I'll say: the last great classic BB song (or two) will shortly be arriving. Think "elegiac".

2 - neither know nor give  flying one.  Wink

Who is the fairest one of all?

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 06, 2012, 08:12:15 AM »

bbc guy:

Shocked

We are in for something special

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 06, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »

Does anybody else think that "From There to Back Again" would have made a better album title than the overly long "That's Why God Made the Radio?"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx