gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:05:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1061180 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

So surprised to click on Amazon and look at my cart and see the actual album and real title shown. I think this just happened. First impression, I like the colors, design questionable(I understand the waves). I don't like the title very much, but was prepared.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 26, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »

The cover is growing on me.  The logo doesn't look so out of place after a while.... hmmm... this one might be a sleeper. 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

This has all exceeded my expectations.  It's all being done so tastefully, I really can't believe it.  I'm sorry, but for a song as a whole, it's better than, and this is just me, a lot of Brian's solo material. Just for those voices alone.  Nothing sounds like the Beach Boys.  In my opinion, it also exceeds Good Timin' and anything after it. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 26, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »

This has all exceeded my expectations.  It's all being done so tastefully, I really can't believe it.  I'm sorry, but for a song as a whole, it's better than, and this is just me, a lot of Brian's solo material. Just for those voices alone.  Nothing sounds like the Beach Boys.  In my opinion, it also exceeds Good Timin' and anything after it. 

Ditto x 1000

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »

The cover shown on Amazon today has (hopefully) gotta be a placeholder.  It looks like something you'd see on a cheap budget label release.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »

The cover shown on Amazon today has (hopefully) gotta be a placeholder.  It looks like something you'd see on a cheap budget label release.

There's a whole thread about this. We love the cover.  It's awesome.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »

Agreed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:09 AM »

NPR is saying it's "The Best New Beach Boys Song In 40 Years".  So that's their opinion of it.  

Nah.  It ain't better than "Good Timin'", "Sail On, Sailor", "Goin' On", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", "It's OK", etc.  It is better than "Male Ego" I suppose.  :-)

I'd add Good Time, The Night was so Young, and I'll Bet He's Nice
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 27, 2012, 12:39:22 AM »

The entirety of the album known as Love You....

No mas, por favor.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 27, 2012, 03:37:06 AM »

Culture clash
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »

No, we don't all love the album cover. It reminds me of the budget Good Vibrations album from the early 70's with the colored circles along the bottom half of the album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 27, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »

Culture clash

Yes, I think it's definitely a culture clash. I'm 34 and freakin' love it. They've absolutely hit it out of the park on the cover art and the TWGMTR single. I don't love TWGMTR as the title of the album, but it could've been worse like the "The Beach Boys 50" or "Celebration". Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I like it in that it's a subdued title as if this is just the next Beach Boys album, as opposed to being some gimmicky reunion album. Not sure if I'm articulating my thought clearly...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 27, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »

Culture clash

Yes, I think it's definitely a culture clash. I'm 34 and freakin' love it. They've absolutely hit it out of the park on the cover art and the TWGMTR single. I don't love TWGMTR as the title of the album, but it could've been worse like the "The Beach Boys 50" or "Celebration". Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I like it in that it's a subdued title as if this is just the next Beach Boys album, as opposed to being some gimmicky reunion album. Not sure if I'm articulating my thought clearly...

I unabashedly adore it. Best thing about the reunion thus far.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »

It's probably one of the better album covers the band has out on an album.  Technically they haven't had a good cover since like love you. 
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 27, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »

Culture clash

Agreed, it looks very indie (outside of the massive Beach Boys logo) and vintage in some ways, which is seen as "cool" by a lot of people in 2012.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: April 27, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

The single cover looks cool. The album cover....well..... At least the logo should be thrown out. It doesn't fit....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

funny how different tastes are.  I think the single cover is god awful with zero artistic sense.  It's cliche beyond belief and the first thing anyone would think of.  But i love the album cover
Paulos
« Reply #1617 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »

funny how different tastes are.  I think the single cover is god awful with zero artistic sense.  It's cliche beyond belief and the first thing anyone would think of.  But i love the album cover

I have to ask, what exactly did you expect the artwork of a single titled 'That's Why God Made The Radio' to feature? A penguin duct-taped to a refridgerator?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »

I have to ask, what exactly did you expect the artwork of a single titled 'That's Why God Made The Radio' to feature? A penguin duct-taped to a refridgerator?

it was a dolphin in my mind.  but really, i expected more than a dutch angle of an old radio.  I would have liked if they had a theme between the single and the album art, maybe it wouldn't have waves, but what if it had circles like radio waves in a similar style to the album.  It'd be cool if they went together as they should, i've seen other bands do that.  and i'm not saying they should have done that, they're the professionals.  It just looked like very little effort was put into it. 

but y'know, that's fine, i'd rather them put the effort in the album stuff.  I don't like the single art, but it's just a single, so whatever. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

The album has already made the top 100 sellers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1#5
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »

i still don't get why it's 18 dollars.  that's like barnes and noble priced!!  i gotta order my vinyl soon, the cd will be bought in store for sure.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »

i still don't get why it's 18 dollars.  that's like barnes and noble priced!!  i gotta order my vinyl soon, the cd will be bought in store for sure.

The price will come down. It's just a placeholder. I'd expect it will be either $9.99 or $11.99 by the middle of next month.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 27, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »

Ditto x 1000

Same here.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »

As much as I like TWGMTR and Brian's lead vocal, the background vocals do not sound like classic Beach Boys. Good Timin' on the other hand is one of the few late era Beach Boys songs that really captures that classic vocal sound. 1984's Chasin' The Sky is the last song to sound that way. By the next year something changed and it never returned. Not that they sounded bad or anything, but not how they sounded before.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »

As much as I like TWGMTR and Brian's lead vocal, the background vocals do not sound like classic Beach Boys. Good Timin' on the other hand is one of the few late era Beach Boys songs that really captures that classic vocal sound. 1984's Chasin' The Sky is the last song to sound that way. By the next year something changed and it never returned. Not that they sounded bad or anything, but not how they sounded before.

I think Good Timin' sounds thin. Its vocal sound is as sparse as the rest of the LA Album. Brian shot his high voice, Carl has to cover, Bruce covers the middle... It sounds too thin for me. Tune's great, though.

One thing about the vocal sound of TWGMTR is that it lacks a strong vocal bass line. It's stuffed in the mid-range, while the singing is up-front, almost in New Jersey fashion. This in-your-face delivery, unlike most of the BBs vocal production (there are exceptions like "Wendy"), may end up helping its radioplay impact methinks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:35:59 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx