gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:20:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060965 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »

The Beach Boys That's Why God Made The Radio

"That's Why God Made The Radio"
"Think About The Days"
"Isn't It Time"
"Spring Vacation"
"Private Life Of Bill And Sue"
"Daybreak Over The Ocean"
"Shelter"
"Beaches In Mind"
"Strange World"
"My Life Suite"
"Summer's Gone"

Great to see all songs are mysterious save for TWGMTR

Don't know about that - a good half of those titles reek of nostalgia in the same way "That's Why God Made The Radio" does. We'll see.

I think he meant mysterious in the sense that no one had heard them yet.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 25, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

"Think About The Days"
"Isn't It Time"
"Spring Vacation"
"Shelter"
"Beaches In Mind"
"Strange World"
"My Life Suite"
"Summer's Gone"

Don't know about that - a good half of those titles reek of nostalgia in the same way "That's Why God Made The Radio" does. We'll see.

Runners, I think we are gonna have to resign ourselves to the fact that many of the lyrics to these songs will be filled with Mike Love cheese. However, hopefully unlike "That's Why God Made The Radio", the music will just be written by Brian, and not by committee, so we'll be able to enjoy the chord progressions, vocals, and harmonies. And one other thing, I was thinking about the possible cheesiness of some of these songs, and I realized it is probably what Brian himself wants. He's a cheesy guy. He wanted to do an album called Pleasure Island. And I'd rather have Mike Love writing nostalgic stuff than Scott Bennett trying to write confessional lyrics "in Brian's voice".
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 25, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »

I, for one, thought the lyrics for TWGMTR weren't that bad.  I actually enjoyed the references to spirituality in it, I think they're very Brian-esque.  In terms of nostalgia, I wouldn't say it "reeked" of it either.  I really think this is the best Beach Boys song in decades and was floored when I first heard it.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 25, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »

NPR is saying it's "The Best New Beach Boys Song In 40 Years".  So that's their opinion of it. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

And I'd rather have Mike Love writing nostalgic stuff than Scott Bennett trying to write confessional lyrics "in Brian's voice".
With all due respect to Scott, amen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »

Anyone know if one of these tracks is the one Mike was writing with David?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »

Well, going by that one track this album will be horrible IMO.  Not that I was expecting much else really.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 25, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »

Well, going by that one track this album will be horrible IMO.  Not that I was expecting much else really.

Eh. Things are different in the year 2012 than they were in the 60s. As odd as it may sound, from my own listening habits, disliking the first single is usually a good sign for the rest of the album anymore. Either way, I don't think we're in for 11 more "That's Why God Made The Radio"s.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 25, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »

brian hasn't written songs like TWGMTR in a long time, i'm much more interested in his songs.  I mean, once we learned who was wrote this song, i think we all knew it would be a beach boys by numbers song.  i expect more from the album!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 25, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 25, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »

"Think About The Days"
"Isn't It Time"
"Spring Vacation"
"Shelter"
"Beaches In Mind"
"Strange World"
"My Life Suite"
"Summer's Gone"

Daybreak was recorded by Mike in 1978.

Yeah, that too.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »

I wonder how long it will be until the 30 second samples are up on Amazon.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: April 25, 2012, 10:46:48 PM »

Runners, I think we are gonna have to resign ourselves to the fact that many of the lyrics to these songs will be filled with Mike Love cheese. However, hopefully unlike "That's Why God Made The Radio", the music will just be written by Brian, and not by committee, so we'll be able to enjoy the chord progressions, vocals, and harmonies. And one other thing, I was thinking about the possible cheesiness of some of these songs, and I realized it is probably what Brian himself wants. He's a cheesy guy. He wanted to do an album called Pleasure Island. And I'd rather have Mike Love writing nostalgic stuff than Scott Bennett trying to write confessional lyrics "in Brian's voice".

I'd rather have actually heard the stuff before making dumbass comments based entirely on a list of titles and a considerable dislike of Mike. Just sayin'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »

I'd rather have actually heard the stuff before making dumbass comments based entirely on a list of titles and a considerable dislike of Mike. Just sayin'.

Damn! C'mon, Andrew. I defend Mike left and right here, and stated that the titles sounded similar in the nostalgia department to "That's Why God..." but followed it up with "We'll see" because yes, we will indeed see. I have no idea, maybe "Summer's Gone" is about a couple gettin' freaky with teh peanut butter I DON'T KNOW MAN ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »

NPR is saying it's "The Best New Beach Boys Song In 40 Years".  So that's their opinion of it.  

Nah.  It ain't better than "Good Timin'", "Sail On, Sailor", "Goin' On", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", "It's OK", etc.  It is better than "Male Ego" I suppose.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: April 25, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »

Yeah, like I said that was NPR saying it.  Not me, lol.  Good Timin' is much better, and that's just an EASY example, 40 years would mean nothing better has came out since 1972?  Getthahellouttaheah!  Still I really like it, though.  It has that thick sound they're good at. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:16 AM »

NPR is saying it's "The Best New Beach Boys Song In 40 Years".  So that's their opinion of it.  

Nah.  It ain't better than "Good Timin'", "Sail On, Sailor", "Goin' On", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", "It's OK", etc.  It is better than "Male Ego" I suppose.  :-)

it is waay better than good timin, it's ok and definitely keepin the summer alive
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 26, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »

NPR is saying it's "The Best New Beach Boys Song In 40 Years".  So that's their opinion of it. 

Nah.  It ain't better than "Good Timin'", "Sail On, Sailor", "Goin' On", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", "It's OK", etc.  It is better than "Male Ego" I suppose.  :-)

it is waay better than good timin, it's ok and definitely keepin the summer alive

I would say that it is in the discussion with being among the best material since '72

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:36 AM »

I've seen a lot of online reviews say things like "I don't want to like this song, but I can't help it" or "O.K., it's a little cheesy... but I love it!" and lots of people referring to it like it's a guilty pleasure.  Which I think is actually pretty good, I'll bet the boys are pleased by the reaction. 
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1594 on: April 26, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

I've seen a lot of online reviews say things like "I don't want to like this song, but I can't help it" or "O.K., it's a little cheesy... but I love it!" and lots of people referring to it like it's a guilty pleasure.  Which I think is actually pretty good, I'll bet the boys are pleased by the reaction. 

Yes, and then they come on here..........

Paulos
« Reply #1595 on: April 26, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »

Anyone know if one of these tracks is the one Mike was writing with David?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I was wondering this too, I guess we will find out soon.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1596 on: April 26, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »

Either way, I don't think we're in for 11 more "That's Why God Made The Radio"s.

I say at most 10 more "That's Why God Made The Radio"s.

(Mathematical joke. Grin)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1597 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPFtbJAEm8

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Paulos
« Reply #1598 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »

Don't buy the album then.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

I think the album will be a miracle to most BB fans. This is more like it. Classic BB sound. None of that SIP nonsense. TWGMTR has everything I love about the Beach Boys. It's kind of a nostalgic fun classic sounding song, but melancholy at the same time. Catchy and poppy, but haunting. For me, the aura of it kind of harkens back to Today! or In My Room. Which isn't a bad thing at all.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx