gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:05:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060468 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: April 24, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »

I think it's just that all of the relationships are a little different.

The main point: Carl isn't there. He was both Al and Brian's closest ally in the band.

Brian is now closest to Mike and his backing band (which just happens to be the group's).

Al has been a free agent for the last 14 years or so, and he's developed into his own man, an elven self-promotion machine.

Mike has come to terms with the group's artier material and has done some great catalog shows. He's taken full control of the touring band, but now is willing to yield it (to some extent) to Brian.

Dave has been added, and he's close to Mike and Al.

Bruce, as ever, gets along with everyone.

The point is, the balance of power and the web of relationships is different. This is a fundamentally different group than has ever toured or recorded before. I don't quite know how to feel about it.

But I guess we'll all find out!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

Considering this is the first show, the new album is over a month away and single hasn't yet been released, hold off feeling anything until you have something to have a feeling about.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1502 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

I think it's just that all of the relationships are a little different.

The main point: Carl isn't there. He was both Al and Brian's closest ally in the band.

Brian is now closest to Mike and his backing band (which just happens to be the group's).

Al has been a free agent for the last 14 years or so, and he's developed into his own man, an elven self-promotion machine.

Mike has come to terms with the group's artier material and has done some great catalog shows. He's taken full control of the touring band, but now is willing to yield it (to some extent) to Brian.

Dave has been added, and he's close to Mike and Al.

Bruce, as ever, gets along with everyone.

The point is, the balance of power and the web of relationships is different. This is a fundamentally different group than has ever toured or recorded before. I don't quite know how to feel about it.

But I guess we'll all find out!

You make some very interesting points. It is hard to describe exactly, but I think I know what you're talking about. The sort of balance of power shifts from year to year and project to project. I think they are all united by the novelty of the anniversary concept, and probably the lucrative nature of the tour.

I think they are acheiving something closer to a fair and organic balance of power. Maybe. Big maybe. But Mike, Brian, and Al are all on equal footing legally/organizationally, Bruce seem to go with the flow, and David is very humbly and coolly adding his thing to the reunion as well. I think they are arriving at some democracy without doing it simply for the sake of giving each person exactly equal say in everything.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »

Andrew - I swear, that article was revised after I posted it! Where it now says as yet untitled was where it said It's All Brand New.
I saw it too. The article previously stated the album title was 'It's All Brand New' at least a couple of times. I didn't think the writer was correct though. Why would they have a scoop like that?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »

I saw it too. The article previously stated the album title was 'It's All Brand New' at least a couple of times. I didn't think the writer was correct though. Why would they have a scoop like that?

"It's All Brand New" is a terrible title.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »

Like in the 70's, "New Album" would work just fine for me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 24, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »

I don't think that was ever going to be a final title. It'd be totally ridiculous, if it were, as would It's All Brand New be.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 24, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »

I don't think that was ever going to be a final title. It'd be totally ridiculous, if it were, as would It's All Brand New be.
I don't care if it was or not. Even if it was just a placeholder, it is simple and says exactly what it is. After 16 years since the last one, those two words have great meaning to anyone who cares.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »

i think the inclusion of Brian's suit is the best news i've heard so far.  I'm just imagining when he wanted to get mt. vernon on holland lol
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

Even better, will be if "The private life of bill and jane" or whatever it's called.....    is part of the suite.  I.E. he uses two or three songs to tell a story about something, like Mt. Vernon!   Think Eleanor Rigby on steroids. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

i don't think that's the case actually, i think shelter and bill/sue stand on their own.  Or I'd think that would have been said by Mike or Bruce when they mentioned the title.  I wonder if the suite is gonna be like side 2 of smile, or like rio grande??
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

Even better, will be if "The private life of bill and jane" or whatever it's called.....    is part of the suite.  I.E. he uses two or three songs to tell a story about something, like Mt. Vernon!   Think Eleanor Rigby on steroids. 

It's a cool idea, but it's not the case. In one of the most recent articles about the new record it was made clear that this, "Shelter" and the BW suite are all different songs.

This might be a dumb question, but is it safe to assume that the record is done now that the band has embarked on their tour?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »

Basically i'm going to enjoy it whatever it is.  I loved the Disney Album, I loved the Gershwin Album, I loved TLOS, I loevd the Christmas album, I loved BWPS...

I think i'm safe here no matter what he does, lol. 
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 24, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »

Just got home from the Tucson show... glanced through some earlier posts & I don't see any mention of this. When Mike introduced "That's Why God Made The Radio" tonight, he clearly added from our new album "OF THE SAME NAME".
So, maybe there's the answer to the new album title question.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »

Shocked

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »

Of all the titles thrown out recently, both as potentials by the band, guesses by fans, etc. etc. etc. That's Why God Made The Radio is the least offensive, albeit still not very impressive and a bit too over the top as far as cheese/nostalgia goes.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »

Didn't they drop it as title since it is too long? Well, we'll see...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »

The Beach Boys That's Why God Made The Radio

"That's Why God Made The Radio"
"Think About The Days"
"Isn't It Time"
"Spring Vacation"
"Private Life Of Bill And Sue"
"Daybreak Over The Ocean"
"Shelter"
"Beaches In Mind"
"Strange World"
"My Life Suite"
"Summer's Gone"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »

So we got the tracklist, although not in order.

I will say I'm disappointed that we didn't get "Dancing the Night Away", although maybe it is there, just re-titled. I doubt it though. I wonder if there are any Carl vocals on the album, if they don't have this or "Waves of Love" on there. And I'm  nearly positive that there is probably no Dennis.

I kinda think it's cool that the only song that appears to be somewhat "old" is "Daybreak Over The Ocean" and while that has never been a favorite of mine, its not bad and I'm sure they probably made a good version of it.

Some of the titles are interesting. "Think About The Days" and "Isn't It Time" could either be nice melancholy things, or they might super nostalgic schlock. Or maybe neither. "Beaches In Mind", "Summer's Gone" and "Spring Vacation" kinda seem too obviously "Beach Boys"-ish, but once again who knows. I guess there is no point speculating, haha.

All the rest, well...here's hoping.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 25, 2012, 07:43:34 AM »

That might very well be the order. After all, I can see them starting off with the title track and ending with a track called Summer's Gone. I know they've suggested that the suite ends the album, but there may be a sort of bonus thing going on at the end.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1520 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »

So we got the tracklist, although not in order.

I will say I'm disappointed that we didn't get "Dancing the Night Away", although maybe it is there, just re-titled. I doubt it though. I wonder if there are any Carl vocals on the album, if they don't have this or "Waves of Love" on there. And I'm  nearly positive that there is probably no Dennis.

I would guess that if Carl was featured on any tracks, that fact would be touted in the press release.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »

Aw, I was really coming around to the idea of a new "She Believe in Love Again". Then again the press release clearly says "The album’s other new songs include..." so maybe...
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »

Aw, I was really coming around to the idea of a new "She Believe in Love Again". Then again the press release clearly says "The album’s other new songs include..." so maybe...

11 songs total, so we have all the titles.  I would guess we get some bonus tracks from various retailers though.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 25, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »

Wasnt mike saying that the album ends with a three song suite?  Does this mean my life is 3 songs or whay
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »

LOOKS like all of Johnston and Jardine's titles got dropped (i.e., Waves of Love, Islands in the Sun, She Believes in Love Again).  Then again, we do not know the final writing credits for the remaining tunes.  Presume some of these end up as bonus cuts...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx