gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:47:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060941 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »

I've never heard Bruce's song. But an album of Brian/mike?  :D :D :D
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

"The label picks the songs" and this new She Believes in Love Again are more proof that forces have always been at work to hold these guys down.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »

Bruce's just talking, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.  They dropped DIA off the album even though it's great, so obviously they're only going to let new songs on there.

And all this talk about people watching, who cares?  Just do what you normally do.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »

Did everyone miss "Johnston says that Brian Wilson composed "a little suite" for the set as well."

OMG YES.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 23, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

Did everyone miss "Johnston says that Brian Wilson composed "a little suite" for the set as well."

OMG YES.
"Old news".  Smiley Amazing nonetheless.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 23, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

OMG YES.

That got me really excited

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

OMG YES.

That got me really excited

Me too - all along I was hoping for a Brian/Mike-centered album, and it appears as if that's just what we're going to get, with Al and Bruce limited to a song apiece.  They really do seem to be doing it right this time around - who would have thought? 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 23, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

I'd like to see a "Rio Grande" styled suite from Brian, just to show at 50 years, he can still do it!

Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 23, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

"The label picks the songs" and this new She Believes in Love Again are more proof that forces have always been at work to hold these guys down.

I would hope that the label would be realistic and realize the best sales are probably going to be from an accessible, limited-schlock, critically-acclaimed album.

This needs to be something that casual fans, long-term fans, hipsters, etc all enjoy, and that an 18-34 year old isn't going to totally cringe at.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »

I would hope that the label would be realistic and realize the best sales are probably going to be from an accessible, limited-schlock, critically-acclaimed album.

LOL

I'll have to remember that one the next time I'm at the dentist.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »

I think of the Bruce news this way.

Brian has been working on this album for most of the past year. He's arranging, he's (co) producing, he's singing. He's busy.

Mike came in somewhat later, but he's clearly working on lyrics and maybe contributing songs as well. He'll have some serious leads, too.

Al is singing lead (presumably) on several tracks and has a half-dozen tracks in his back pocket that he can push for inclusion.

Dave has guitar work to contribute.

So, harmony vocals aside, what does Bruce have to do? He's not really essential as a lead voice, and his keyboard skills aren't needed either. I just figure that when he got into the studio with the band, he took on this new version of his old tune as a side project. It was something to occupy his time.

And that being said, if he could come up with a real full-on harmony version of the song, with a little more Beach Boys of a sound and a little less 80s schmaltz, it could be really nice.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1411 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »

As long as the remix and/or reworking and/or re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again" bumps something else off the tracklist, which I don't see as likely at all, then I'm not opposed. I'd prefer it to be a bonus track, but if it makes the album, meh. Didn't some Wilson kid take a song about some Rhonda lady and put it on two albums in a row because he felt he drastically improved upon the original?

Well, Brian wanted to make a single version of "Rhonda". Now guess who told Brian it would be a good idea to include the no. 1 sngle on the new album as well. It was someone calling himself Johnston. But it was a different thing back then and his suggestion I share. But not now, not "She believes in love again" on a new Beach Boys album. Bruce must've written other stuff in the last twenty years that he can bring in. Even if it's just another old doo wop song he played around with like "One summer night"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »

Interestingly, before we've heard anything about the new album and it's songs, say at the beginning of the reunion talk I'd have said that Mike and Bruce will go the nostalgia, oldie, re-record way. Don't get me wrong, I think Bruce seems like a nice guy but I'm not surprised that he wants to go that route. I'm much more surprised Mike doesn't.

I gotta say though, in Bruce's defense, rerecording "She Believes in Love Again" is probably more of an artistic decision, seeing as though its not like its a big hit. He probably just thought he could get it "right" this time. And he has the right to do that, if the rest of the band thinks that's ok too. Would one assume that in the nearly 20 years since Summer in Paradise and now he would have a new song to offer? Sure. But if he wants to rerecord a song from their 1985 album, then that's his prerogative. We have to remember, that this is the same guy whose album, Goin' Public consisted of quite a bit of redone material. And his track on Keepin' the Summer Alive was a song from like 1971 or 1972. So it seems to be pretty obvious the guy either doesn't compose enough material that stands up to his own standards or he just doesn't really compose much at all.

On the other hand, if they were rerecording "Help Me Rhonda", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfer Girl", then it would be obviously just be them trying to appeal to a nostalgic, oldies audience. Which I don't think "She Believes in Love Again" will do.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1413 on: April 23, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »

So the label picks the songs?  I say just include them all!  Release 50 songs!  I'll pay for a 4-cd boxed set of new material!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

So the label picks the songs?  I say just include them all!  Release 50 songs!  I'll pay for a 4-cd boxed set of new material!
That's not how you make money.  Wink
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 23, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

"Everyone had fake judo fights over the years, but no one got hurt. It was pretty easy."

There's your album title...."Fake Judo Fighting"

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1416 on: April 23, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

My perfect album title would be "Don't f*** With The Formula"

William Hill offered me odds of 1000/1
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 23, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

My perfect album title would be "Don't f*ck With The Formula"

William Hill offered me odds of 1000/1

That would be pretty incredible, on many levels.  Especially if the album eschewed the formula.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

The new album is going to be called - "Joemama Thomas-arama: A New Take on TM with Mike & Friends".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »

Interestingly, before we've heard anything about the new album and it's songs, say at the beginning of the reunion talk I'd have said that Mike and Bruce will go the nostalgia, oldie, re-record way. Don't get me wrong, I think Bruce seems like a nice guy but I'm not surprised that he wants to go that route. I'm much more surprised Mike doesn't.

I gotta say though, in Bruce's defense, rerecording "She Believes in Love Again" is probably more of an artistic decision, seeing as though its not like its a big hit. He probably just thought he could get it "right" this time. And he has the right to do that, if the rest of the band thinks that's ok too. Would one assume that in the nearly 20 years since Summer in Paradise and now he would have a new song to offer? Sure. But if he wants to rerecord a song from their 1985 album, then that's his prerogative. We have to remember, that this is the same guy whose album, Goin' Public consisted of quite a bit of redone material. And his track on Keepin' the Summer Alive was a song from like 1971 or 1972. So it seems to be pretty obvious the guy either doesn't compose enough material that stands up to his own standards or he just doesn't really compose much at all.

On the other hand, if they were rerecording "Help Me Rhonda", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfer Girl", then it would be obviously just be them trying to appeal to a nostalgic, oldies audience. Which I don't think "She Believes in Love Again" will do.

I have no problem with a new version of SBILA. Nevertheless, it's strange that Probyn was not aware of the song in the interview he gave. In  it, he mentioned in detail Bruce working out a banjo part with a musician, I think.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

Bruce is a musician, he probably has a few different songs he's working on, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  We'll know what we know when we know Smiley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »

I imagine the suite is gonna be the nice creative push ala cwtl mad in tlos
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

So, so far Mike thinks it sounds like '65 era, Al thinks it sounds like Pet Sounds, and Bruce thinks it sounds like Sunflower. This "sounds like" business is quite the useful exercise...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

I have no problem with a new version of SBILA. Nevertheless, it's strange that Probyn was not aware of the song in the interview he gave. In  it, he mentioned in detail Bruce working out a banjo part with a musician, I think.

He didn't say banjo, I think. Just a musician. And if Bruce was just cutting a backing track, especially one for a substantially different version of the song, I'm not sure it would be that recognizable.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1424 on: April 23, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

So, so far Mike thinks it sounds like '65 era, Al thinks it sounds like Pet Sounds, and Bruce thinks it sounds like Sunflower. This "sounds like" business is quite the useful exercise...

Yes, exactly. I mentioned this somewhere in another thread. Even when people can accurately guage or rate music, this is way too subjective to mean anything. The "sounds like" business is indeed nearly useless.

If one of them came out and said "it sounds kind of like Judas Priest", then that would be helpful a bit. But comparing their stuff to their other old albums, it's not very helpful.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx