gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:10:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Complete BB Grammy video here.  (Read 16304 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

I'm interested in the new album, like everyone else. But as for the tour, well, it's just kind of lame to see the guys up there and most of the vocals being done by the backing band. It's basically like they're one stage just to wave and smile while a tribute band does their songs (and similar to how I feel when watching any of the Bruce/Mike band videos from recent concerts). Yawn.
Ever been to a Mike and Bruce show, these days they put on a great show that was fun to go to.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

I got this from Facebook. It says that it was taken at the press conference. Anyone have a video or a script from that interview?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »

I'm interested in the new album, like everyone else. But as for the tour, well, it's just kind of lame to see the guys up there and most of the vocals being done by the backing band. It's basically like they're one stage just to wave and smile while a tribute band does their songs (and similar to how I feel when watching any of the Bruce/Mike band videos from recent concerts). Yawn.

I'm sorry, that statement is kinda dumb. You have five guys, one of whom never even sang on the classic records, all of whom have seen the quality of their voices deteriorate markedly in the last couple of decades. The music is based on an interplay of falsetto, high middle voices, and bass. Mike can still do the latter, but you simply don't have the number or quality of voices in the remaining guys to do justice to the music.

I know, I know, there will be some joker who says "I just want to hear them do it now, even if it's off-key and croaky." Well, maybe you do. But in a giant global tour, people will want to hear that classic blend. And these guys can't do it without some assistance.

There is, perhaps, a more balanced statement to be made. That is, what would these five sound like with maybe two more voices -- Jeff at the top, let's say, and Darian or Scott in the middle harmonies -- and leaving it at that. I think that would be nice to hear.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

Another video of the gig but the Durex commercial beforehand his worth watching!!! Shocked

http://www.longislandpress.com/2012/02/13/beach-boys-reunion-video/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

I got this from Facebook. It says that it was taken at the press conference. Anyone have a video or a script from that interview?

http://www.grammy.com/videos/the-beach-boys-one-on-one-backstage

May be this one.

Note. If Brian wants a change in career he would make a good bank robber. Onstage or interviews he is the master of the quick get-a-way! Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:39:01 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »

Right. I've seen and forgot about it. Thanks !

Another one:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »

Mike looks great in that shot with Glen
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »

Mike is so f*cking creepy this is awesome, lol.  When you watch Mike sing lead, you want to go take a shower afterwards, it's like he just fondled me or something. 

Much lols. Quote of the decade.  Grin

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

Ever been to a Mike and Bruce show, these days they put on a great show that was fun to go to.

I think you are wrong. Mike will sing his part. Bruce will sing his part. Alan will sing his. Brian will sing Carl's. Jeff will sing Brian's. The other guys will double when needed. They will smile and wave, I'm sure. And I know I'll wave back as I smile my ass off through the reunion concert at Jazz Fest.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

Brian will sing Carl's. Jeff will sing Brian's.

Or Jeff will sing Carl's part, if it's a lead.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »

I'm actually wondering who'll sing Carl's rockier/bluesier parts - songs  like Sail On Sailor or Darlin'. There are plenty of people in the backing band who could do a decent job - Darian, Scott B and John can all do those songs - but I'm wondering if they'll end up going to Al...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

How about John Cowsill??? Does a fantastic Darlin and I Can Hear Music or Darian maybe, also does a fantastic Darlin.'
I'm wondering if Al and Brian will trade verses on Sloop , You're So Good to Me, Heroes etc.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 04:44:49 PM »

I'm sorry, that statement is kinda dumb. You have five guys, one of whom never even sang on the classic records, all of whom have seen the quality of their voices deteriorate markedly in the last couple of decades. The music is based on an interplay of falsetto, high middle voices, and bass. Mike can still do the latter, but you simply don't have the number or quality of voices in the remaining guys to do justice to the music.

I know, I know, there will be some joker who says "I just want to hear them do it now, even if it's off-key and croaky." Well, maybe you do. But in a giant global tour, people will want to hear that classic blend. And these guys can't do it without some assistance.

There is, perhaps, a more balanced statement to be made. That is, what would these five sound like with maybe two more voices -- Jeff at the top, let's say, and Darian or Scott in the middle harmonies -- and leaving it at that. I think that would be nice to hear.

Additionally, I don't think it's that they are incapable of singing alone, but why should they?  They're all pushing 70, getting together again against all odds, actually going on a full tour ... we're lucky to be seeing them out there at all.  Let them entertain the crowds.  Yeh, it would be cool to see something like an intimate set with JUST the core members, but that's really expecting a lot at this point.

This is nothing new.  Shows as far back as the early '70s featured more backing musicians than Beach Boys.  I mean, there were plenty of shows with just Al, Mike, Carl and hired musicians.

I think what you mean to say is "I miss Carl Wilson".

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:47:18 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »

Well its been 24 hours and a few thoughts.

Great sound. Not my ideal as mentioned but should appeal to prospective concert goers.
Looked great! Could have been a parody of themselves with bright Hawaiian shirts and shorts but dark clothes rock!
Bruce sans hat. Three wearing them would have been too many.
David fits like a glove.
The various bands (Brians, Mike and Bruce) plus Al and David clicked.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »

How about John Cowsill??? Does a fantastic Darlin and I Can Hear Music or Darian maybe, also does a fantastic Darlin.'

Umm, no thanks -- Cowsill is energetic on these songs, but he sings them in a manner that is nothing at all like Carl Wilson performed them. (This is not a knock on John -- he does quite well, but his approach is just too different stylistically, imho.)

Darian does a very nice version of "Darlin'," much closer in feel to Carl's. I've also seen Matt Jardine do serious justice to both "Darlin'" and "I Can Hear Music," but there's not been any indication he'll be on the tour.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »

How do you like this ?

I LOVE IT!! It's so good to see them all together.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:51 PM »

Brian looks like he got 'goosed' by David. Grin

Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

How do you like this ?

They look great in this picture. Brian looks genuinely happy. The performance initially left me disappointed, but seeing it a second time, I thought is was about as good as one could expect. What I really look forward to is the new recordings. The "Do It Again" remake had the old magic, and I feel like they can still create that in the studio, and I hope whatever "new" songs of Brian's they do will have that magic as well. If that happens, it will be a successful 50th celebration for me.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »

Jimmy Kimmel jokes about the BB (but at least they get mentioned):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-7pOfM4_4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m52s

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 04:38:45 AM »

Christ, Kimmel's sh*t isn't he?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 04:43:46 AM »

Smiley
However I believe he was imitating Leno and his lame jokes in that particular clip.
Now, Leno is indeed sh*t.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

I'm actually wondering who'll sing Carl's rockier/bluesier parts -

I'm pretty sure that lead vocals to each song will be handled between the Beach Boys. Brian did "Darlin'" in his early days of solo touring (don't know when he stopped) and also sang "Sail on sailor" many times. I haven't heard him doing it, but I could imagine David could do nice jobs on both songs.
Only exception might be "Don't worry baby" which probably will be sung by Jeffrey Foskett although I wouldn't have any problem if Brian would sing it in a lower voice. It doesn't have to be in falsetto.

BTW is it me or do I actually hear some women screaming at the Beach Boys' appearance ? During the introduction and the performance itself ?
Anyway, it's nice to hear a huge applause when Brian appeared on the screen during the verse
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:38:56 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »

At 1:02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMT7kyqFuO8

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 05:16:35 AM »

Oh, Mike  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 05:25:27 AM »

If you'd like to see more of how the stage looked and the light show, click here for an audience recorded movie of the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPs5r2mcoEM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:37:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx