gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:29:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Press Release - 2/8/12  (Read 11669 times)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »

As the FTP fansite notes, and in interviews, Mark Foster is a BIG Brian fan - and Smile fan too.  So this will be a good match-up.

Listen to his "Helena Beat", he does the Brian falsetto "swoops" at the end, and could easily join Jeff on the high parts on IGA.

A third song his that has charted is "Don't Stop", which has been used in car commercials too.  Will they be a one-album wonder?  Maybe, but to have three tracks off your debut take off is no small feat.

And you Brits can't claim ignorance.  When we were visting London earlier this past summer I first heard "Pumped Up Kicks" in the store, and promptly predicted to my daughter she'd hear it on the radio.  She did, on Radio One, the next day.  And of course lots more back in the USA.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »

True. I thought Radiohead was going to be a one hit wonder.  LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »

Check this out, foster the people taking about Brian a few months back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0g4LXraQRs

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

Ah cool. At least that one guy seems to be a fan.

Spinning their LP as I post...
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »

Maybe they all will do Beach Boys songs. Something like: Foster the People  I Get Around, Maroon 5 Don't Worry Baby and the Boys Do It Again or some surprise new song.

there we go.  let's hope !

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

Ah cool. At least that one guy seems to be a fan.

Spinning their LP as I post...

The good thing is that guy (Mark Foster) is the main writer and lead vocalist for the band.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »

I liked the singles from the first Maroon 5 album...even though they sounded like an MOR version of Jamiroquai.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  I liked the first big single...thought it sounded sort of like Jamiroquai and/or third gen Stevie Wonder.  Have never liked anything they've done since, nor the decision to try to make the singer into some sort of sex symbol.

As for pairing them with the BBs reunion, what can I say that hasn't already been said.  I'm so disappointed. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »

This is disappointing. I can't stand Maroon 5. Their lead singer has a voice that I can't stand.

Isn't he the guy from that dumb game show?

Bob Eubanks??

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

I'd like for everybody to explain exactly what year they all stopped liking Maroon 5.  You know you all loved them when nobody had heard of them, like Foster The People, but once they moved into, oh, legend status (they're basically looked at like their legends already, because every album sells huge), everybody stopped liking them.

I thought Maroon 5 was some type of cookie with coconuts?

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Adam Levine has the potential to sing, competently, any Beach Boys song. 

Just sayin'. 
horrible

I'd rather have James Blunt than Maroon 5........

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

Hey, it could've been Train!  Huh
SG7
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

.. or Slayer  Cheesy
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »

CHECK THIS OUT! (not to steal the other guy's thunder from the other thread, but I just had to post this somewhere else!) All credit goes to tony p for finding this!

Good Vibrations AND Surfer Girl!

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/The+Beach+Boys+rehearse+for+their+Grammy+appearance/G3345

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »

CHECK THIS OUT! (not to steal the other guy's thunder from the other thread, but I just had to post this somewhere else!) All credit goes to tony p for finding this!

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/The+Beach+Boys+rehearse+for+their+Grammy+appearance/G3345
WOW

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

Surfer Girl, hmmm, interesting choice

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »

Dude, you're still waiting for the SMiLE SESSIONS?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

WOW

Actually, the gallery said a medley of their songs. It did specify SG and Good Vibes, but it didn't say they would be the only songs in the performances. I would expect at least one or two more in there.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

Dude, you're still waiting for the SMiLE SESSIONS?

LOL

I really should change that

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »

WOW

Actually, the gallery said a medley of their songs. It did specify SG and Good Vibes, but it didn't say they would be the only songs in the performances. I would expect at least one or two more in there.

Yeah I'm expecting three - "Good Vibrations" should be awesome, with all those voices available to cover the different parts.  And love him or hate him, but Adam Levine can probably do a killer "Surfer Girl" lead.
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »

no probs Zach. Certianly not stealing my thunder. Im just happy to share with the board whatever info i may find. Speaking of which:

The Beach Boys, flanked by Foster the People and Maroon 5's Adam Levine, are pouring on the harmonies in a rousing run-through of Good Vibrations. After years strained by acrimony and lawsuits, the iconic surf-pop band is having fun, fun, fun.

Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston are at a CenterStaging studio rehearsing for a pivotal performance, their first with Wilson in more than two decades.

The medley, which includes Beach Boys covers Wouldn't It Be Nice by Foster and Surfer Girl by Maroon 5, is shaping up to be a peak moment at Sunday's Grammy Awards (CBS, 8 p.m. ET/tape delay PT) and a high-profile launch of the band's 50th-anniversary docket.

Wilson, 69, confesses to Grammy butterflies but adds, "It's a happy feeling. We all sound good. The songs are as fresh as the day they were made."

The Beach Boys never won a Grammy (Vibrations lost to the Mamas and the Papas' Monday, Monday, among others, in 1966), nor have they played on the telecast.

No hard feelings, says Love, 70. "It's great that we're regarded highly enough by the powers that be at the Grammys that they want us on the show," he says, relating how a recent re-recording of Do It Again at Capitol Records set the reunion in motion. "Brian told me, 'You sound pretty good for a 70-year-old guy.' It's what we've done all our lives. It's a fantastic milestone, 50 years. The beauty of it is that the songs Brian and I created will outlive us."

The reconciliation "was inevitable, in spite of rumors to the contrary," says Jardine, 69. "There's a tendency for bands to fall apart, but if we can get back together and do it again, anybody can, even in this economy. People need hope and a way out of all this despair. We can bring good vibrations to everybody."

Expect no shortage of drama, entertainment, pop royalty or signature "Grammy moments" of unusual combos during the 3½-hour musical marathon.

The Beach Boys' return is among the biggest attractions in a revue of roughly 22 songs in 18 production numbers that spotlight Adele, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Foo Fighters, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Coldplay and Glen Campbell.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/awards/grammys/story/2012-02-09/beach-boys-grammy-performances/53033838/1
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:00:45 PM by tony p » Logged

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »

"Brian told me, 'You sound pretty good for a 70-year-old guy.'

Not trying to start a Mike bashing, but why in the world has he to mention this in every interview he gives ? At first it was "Not bad for a 70 year old" then "How can a 70 year old sound so good" then something else and then above quote. It's not that important to know, is it ? 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »

"Good Vibrations" didn't lose a Grammy to "Monday, Monday" in '66; it lost to "Winchester Cathedral" by the New Vaudeville Band (astonishingly, the other losers were "Monday, Monday", "Eleanor Rigby" and "The Sound of Silence").
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 06:09:10 AM »

"Good Vibrations" didn't lose a Grammy to "Monday, Monday" in '66; it lost to "Winchester Cathedral" by the New Vaudeville Band (astonishingly, the other losers were "Monday, Monday", "Eleanor Rigby" and "The Sound of Silence").
Winchester cathedral is a terrible novelty song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »

"Brian told me, 'You sound pretty good for a 70-year-old guy.'

why in the world has he to mention this in every interview he gives ?

Because other than us hardcore fans, no one reads two articles on the same subject.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »

Winchester cathedral is a terrible novelty song.

I think the Grammy voting panel heard a manipulated voice made to sound like a 20's recording and associated that with technical innovation and something "new". When in reality, "Good Vibrations" was actually that kind of record that freaked everyone out, rewriting the rules of making a 45rpm, and a case could be made that Eleanor Rigby changed the way string quartets and strings in general would sound on a pop record by the way Emerick close-mic'ed and recorded them.

I always pictured some tripped-out Broadway spectacle where folks like Carol Channing and Ethel Merman would join Fred Astaire for some kind of top hat and cane performance on Hollywood Palace, doing "Winchester Cathedral" to appeal to "the kids" watching the show. With the June Taylor Dancers, of course. Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx