gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:57:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38041 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »

None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..

Actually, I can. I used to be the typical casual Beach Boys fan with just a greatest hits comp (liked it) and 'Pet Sounds' (didn't really "get it" yet). It wasn't until I heard the 'Sunflower'/'Surf's Up' 2fer that I became the somewhat obsessed fan that I am now.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »

None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..

Actually, I can. I used to be the typical casual Beach Boys fan with just a greatest hits comp (liked it) and 'Pet Sounds' (didn't really "get it" yet). It wasn't until I heard the 'Sunflower'/'Surf's Up' 2fer that I became the somewhat obsessed fan that I am now.
WTF why? lol...Surf's Up only has two great songs on it..."Til I Die" & "Surf's Up"
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »

...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin
That album was decent Smiley actually besides wild honey it's my favorite post smile album . Smiley..None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..we all know it's the pre-pet sounds and pet sounds and smile songs that really made us want 2 tap into the beach boys music. and really made us fanatics.

I can. It was the first time I heard "I Can Hear Music" that made me a fan.
Extremely hard to believe  Tongue it's a great song but you know "Wouldn't it be Nice" or "God only Knows"are the songs that made you a fan mister no need to front. Smiley
You have your opinion, other people have their own. There's not some mass denial among the board, relax.
So You're the Spokesperson for this board? Chill the f*ck Out!

Yes, since he's just asking you to have a little more respect for other people's opinions (which in your case certainly wouldn't hurt), I do believe he speaks for most people here.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »

dude... you really need to realize that your opinion is not fact, and is not shared by every other Beach Boys fan.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »

...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin
That album was decent Smiley actually besides wild honey it's my favorite post smile album . Smiley..None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..we all know it's the pre-pet sounds and pet sounds and smile songs that really made us want 2 tap into the beach boys music. and really made us fanatics.

Extremely hard to believe  Tongue it's a great song but you know "Wouldn't it be Nice" or "God only Knows"are the songs that made you a fan mister no need to front. Smiley
You have your opinion, other people have their own. There's not some mass denial among the board, relax.
So You're the Spokesperson for this board? Chill the f*ck Out!

Yes, since he's just asking you to have a little more respect for other people's opinions (which in your case certainly wouldn't hurt), I do believe he speaks for most people here.
He Speaks For You? Awww that's so cute  Smiley lol
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:40 AM »

dude... you really need to realize that your opinion is not fact, and is not shared by every other Beach Boys fan.
Seriously.. pitiful in denial creatures.(Some of you)..(Those who aren't shouldn't take offense.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:35:37 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »

*sigh*
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 12:36:43 AM »

^ And in this case, Bossaroo speaks for me too.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »

^ And in this case, Bossaroo speaks for me too.
I speak for you too.. now calm your ass down! lol
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »

Are you drunk?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

WTF why? lol...Surf's Up only has two great songs on it..."Til I Die" & "Surf's Up"

In your opinion. My opinion, that "Feel Flows", "Long Promised Road" and "Disney Girls" are also great, is just as valid, irrespective of the fact that it's shared by a whole mess of other folk..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 01:48:28 AM »

Seriously.. pitiful in denial creatures.(Some of you)..(Those who aren't shouldn't take offense.)

Should warn you - in as friendly a manner as  is possible - that what happens to posters here who start laying down the law about what people should like, not like and generally think (i.e. I'm-right-because-you're-wrong) usually isn't too nice.

And anyway, that's my job.  Grin

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »

That's very similar to me as well - that exact twofer was what made me want to check out the rest of the catalogue.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 01:57:45 AM »

Are you drunk?

A question crying out for an answer.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:25 AM »

Well, this was stupid. I woke up, have a few hours of sleep time left but I thought I'd check smiley smile for the hell of it on my iPad. And now my blood pressure is through the roof and I'm wide awake after reading the sh*t Newguy has just posted.

I won't even get into it, as Newguy is clearly wrong. However, I'd like to defend the Doors and say: Newguy you are clearly wrong.

Also, is it necessary to Smiley use Smiley emoticons Smiley so Smiley often? lol lol lol Wall I never want to see another smiley face ever again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »

l I never want to see another smiley face ever again.
Cheer up, Rab  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »

(brain fart)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:24:06 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »

SOME OF YOU ARE SO IN DENIAL :[

Well, I wish you and your opinion all the best. Come on my opinion, let's blow this pop stand.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:19:30 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »

He is attempting to start a sh*t fight.. Why does this board constantly attract people like that? At least with other antagonists they had a little more IP.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:15 AM »

To me Pink Floyd's peak was their first album.

You'd better be kidding.

Wish You Were Here and Animals are incredible, masterpieces.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »

Bedtime for you littleguy 562, maybe switch over to the Justin Bieber message boards tomorrow....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:01:34 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 04:47:06 AM »

The Beach Boys career rocked after Smile with wild honey and friends. Also, 20/20 is awesome with the hoge-poge of tracks and styles. Sunflower is a great group effort and the unreleased stuff from the sunflower project is also another album. I think surf's up is pretty good, as it being Brian's swansong before the madness of the later 1970s began. But the main seliing point of this era were the rocking live shows which began the process of reviving the band's popularity.

The first beach boys albums I bought were Today/summer days and sunflower/surf's up.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:59 AM »

The Beach Boys career rocked after Smile with wild honey and friends. Also, 20/20 is awesome with the hoge-poge of tracks and styles. Sunflower is a great group effort and the unreleased stuff from the sunflower project is also another album. I think surf's up is pretty good, as it being Brian's swansong before the madness of the later 1970s began. But the main seliing point of this era were the rocking live shows which began the process of reviving the band's popularity.

The first beach boys albums I bought were Today/summer days and sunflower/surf's up.

That is a valid point about the live shows...as I look back on that time, it seemed as though (in their home - the US) they could never win.  Yet, they toured, and I guess in a way, it was a forum where they could not lose, and at the same time, they stayed in the game, as it were, fighting a battle where they could win!  

So, regardless of the many critics who passed them by, they changed the battlefield from the newspapers, who pay their critics, or who may have been subject to other influences, and to the live context and solidified a live fan base.  Even if some shows we're not sellouts, they showed determination, to keep the music out there. Lots of groups just became discouraged and quit.  It takes a lot to get out onstage and do a great show to half a house!  But those fans, passed the word about what a great show they still put on.  They kept their dignity despite the critics.

To answer the posed question, I never stopped listening, but got into a groove of playing Pet Sounds, Holland/So Tough, Surf's Up, Beach Boys '69, and 20/20...especially when they were out on 8 track, double album...

Some of this belongs a thread below*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:50:21 AM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin

Great song! I Can Hear Music!

My first "fall in love" coup de foudre, was, The Little Girl that I Once Knew, which took a lot of heat, critically at the time, with the "starts and stops" - even though I knew who they were, from TV and radio. 

You don't need a commercial hit, to get that feeling that "you are home!"   Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »

To me the Beach Boys did what a lot of great bands have done. They create their masterpiece and are unsure how to top it. So they go a different direction often going back to basics or changing style. After Sgt Pepper and MagMystTour the Beatles went back to basics for the most part with the WA. Radiohead didn't think they could beat OKComp doing the same type thing so they did KidA/Amnesiac then went back to basics with Hail to the Thief. U2 switched gears with Pop.

Brian went back to basics with Smiley/WH/Friends, which are anti commercial but artistically brilliant. I think the Beach Boys continued to do great things through Holland. Love You was also great in the context of musical genius in rehab. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx