gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:12:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38207 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

Nobody needs to attack anybody.  Newguy sees Pet Sounds/Smile as the pinnacle.  That's understandable, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  Mike's Beard likes Holland and Sunflower.  Both fine albums, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  My brother digs the early albums, when the Beach Boys were a garage/surf jam band.  I can see all points of view.  Nobody is wrong.  What moves you, moves you.  Please, all of you (especially Newguy), stop hurling insults at someone or calling them a liar(?) because they have different tastes.  Newguy, your schtick is wearing thin, and I have seen others with your type of personality banned from this place.  Perhaps that's what you're looking for.  Perhaps not.  But stop.  And other folks, don't let this guy rile you up.  I read his posts until I can't stand them anymore, then I skip over them.  I don't come here for this juvenile bullshit.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010 and i'mma keep it true and be honest about their body of work..
some of you are blinded by fanaticism...i'm a huge beatles fan but that doesnt mean i'm gonna bullsh*t you guys and say yellow submarine is one of  the best they did. taste is taste but you guys aren't being realistic ...it's sickening..so go ahead and torch me at least i'm not in denial and making sh*t up...

You want true "denial and making sh*t up", the Bloo's that way.

And, young man, read my book, liner notes or a few of my past posts here before saying I'm not realistic: I'll wager I've been a BB fan longer than you've been walking, and there are many here who can add some 15 years to that. This is the primo hard-core BB fan forum: we don't suck up, we don't kiss ass. What we do tend to do is rip people like you a new one for being arrogant and impertinent (again, those are my jobs). Compared with the average poster here, you don't know jack. Just because we don't concur with your opinion doesn't make you right and us wrong. Understand that, and you'll last here. Otherwise, not. Have your opinions, but remember that is all they are - an opinion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:04:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »

Nobody needs to attack anybody.  Newguy sees Pet Sounds/Smile as the pinnacle.  That's understandable, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  Mike's Beard likes Holland and Sunflower.  Both fine albums, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  My brother digs the early albums, when the Beach Boys were a garage/surf jam band.  I can see all points of view.  Nobody is wrong.  What moves you, moves you.  Please, all of you (especially Newguy), stop hurling insults at someone or calling them a liar(?) because they have different tastes.  Newguy, your schtick is wearing thin, and I have seen others with your type of personality banned from this place.  Perhaps that's what you're looking for.  Perhaps not.  But stop.  And other folks, don't let this guy rile you up.  I read his posts until I can't stand them anymore, then I skip over them.  I don't come here for this juvenile bullsh*t.
ok i'll stop  angel
i dont want anymore problems with you guys..i'm not trynna disrespect you in any way. can we listen to sum bb's and sing a long and get along ?  Grin
SBonilla
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »

Nobody needs to attack anybody.  Newguy sees Pet Sounds/Smile as the pinnacle.  That's understandable, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  Mike's Beard likes Holland and Sunflower.  Both fine albums, and I'm sure that there are many who agree with that point of view.  My brother digs the early albums, when the Beach Boys were a garage/surf jam band.  I can see all points of view.  Nobody is wrong.  What moves you, moves you.  Please, all of you (especially Newguy), stop hurling insults at someone or calling them a liar(?) because they have different tastes.  Newguy, your schtick is wearing thin, and I have seen others with your type of personality banned from this place.  Perhaps that's what you're looking for.  Perhaps not.  But stop.  And other folks, don't let this guy rile you up.  I read his posts until I can't stand them anymore, then I skip over them.  I don't come here for this juvenile bullsh*t.
ok i'll stop  angel
i dont want anymore problems with you guys..i'm not trynna disrespect you in any way. can we listen to sum bb's and sing a long and get along ?  Grin

Yay. OK, we'll put on Stack-o-Tracks and sing. ...and do The Chicken.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »

I've been a fan of the beach boys since 2010 and i'mma keep it true and be honest about their body of work..
some of you are blinded by fanaticism...i'm a huge beatles fan but that doesnt mean i'm gonna bullsh*t you guys and say yellow submarine is one of  the best they did. taste is taste but you guys aren't being realistic ...it's sickening..so go ahead and torch me at least i'm not in denial and making sh*t up...

You want true "denial and making sh*t up", the Bloo's that way.

And, young man, read my book, liner notes or a few of my past posts here before saying I'm not realistic: I'll wager I've been a BB fan longer than you've been walking, and there are many here who can add some 15 years to that. This is the primo hard-core BB fan forum: we don't suck up, we don't kiss ass. What we do tend to do is rip people like you a new one for being arrogant and impertinent (again, those are my jobs). Compared with the average poster here, you don't know jack. Just because we don't concur with your opinion doesn't make you right and us wrong. Understand that, and you'll last here. Otherwise, not. Have your opinions, but remember that is all they are - an opinion.
i'mma chillax k  Smiley..i respect all of your opinions i don't want any problems  Smiley
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »

The underlying premise of the Smile/collapse argument is that the Beach Boys lost their audience beginning in 1967.  That is clearly true for the US.  And I think the fact that the Boys were no longer making hits is the key to viewing Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations/Smile as their peak.

But if you look at the British charts, the story is quite different.  Here are the Boys post-GV singles, with their UK chart peak listed (info taken from AGD's site):

Then I Kissed Her  #4, Heroes And Villains #8, Gettin' Hungry DNC, Wild Honey #29, Darlin' #11, Friends #25, Do It Again #1, Bluebirds Over The Mountain #33, I Can Hear Music #10, Break Away #6, Cotton Fields #5

Does that look like a band in decline?  Check out the UK album charts:Smiley Smile #9, Wild Honey #7, Friends #13, 20/20 #3, Sunflower #29,   Surf's Up #15, Carl And The Passions #25, Holland #20.  Again, that does not look like a band in decline -- at all.  If the Boys had achieved that kind of chart success in the US, their history would have been perceived much differently, and IMO the Smile mythology would have been far less.  The best thing that ever happened to the Smile legend was that Smiley Smile and the subsequent records basically flopped on the US charts.

For whatever reason, the UK public was able to perceive and appreciate the quality of the post-Smile work much better than the US public.  But the quality was there.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

Unless you reply Summer In Paradise. In which case you are either having a wind up at the expense of others, deaf, insane, devoid of any music taste whatsoever...... or happen to be called Mike Love.
If nothing else, there are a few very nice singing performances on SIP, notably Al's contributions. I have never deemed it quite as terrible as most folks here do. Que, Cera, Cera!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

The underlying premise of the Smile/collapse argument is that the Beach Boys lost their audience beginning in 1967.  That is clearly true for the US.  And I think the fact that the Boys were no longer making hits is the key to viewing Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations/Smile as their peak.

But if you look at the British charts, the story is quite different.  Here are the Boys post-GV singles, with their UK chart peak listed (info taken from AGD's site):

Then I Kissed Her  #4, Heroes And Villains #8, Gettin' Hungry DNC, Wild Honey #29, Darlin' #11, Friends #25, Do It Again #1, Bluebirds Over The Mountain #33, I Can Hear Music #10, Break Away #6, Cotton Fields #5

Does that look like a band in decline?  Check out the UK album charts:Smiley Smile #9, Wild Honey #7, Friends #13, 20/20 #3, Sunflower #29,   Surf's Up #15, Carl And The Passions #25, Holland #20.  Again, that does not look like a band in decline -- at all.  If the Boys had achieved that kind of chart success in the US, their history would have been perceived much differently, and IMO the Smile mythology would have been far less.  The best thing that ever happened to the Smile legend was that Smiley Smile and the subsequent records basically flopped on the US charts.

For whatever reason, the UK public was able to perceive and appreciate the quality of the post-Smile work much better than the US public.  But the quality was there.

wow the uk really appreciate the post smile work :] interesting..
i can't believe smiley smile charted so high ...it's so bizarre.. and that sucks that sunflower charted lower then them all and  it was such a great group effort smh i always wondered why the albums/songs that flopped in the us did pretty well in the uk...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:15:41 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »

Andrew, we can disagree without being disagreeable.  

Then don't post something as condescending as that was (and I know condescending).

Andrew - that is an expression, of my President, who convened the first Beer Summit !

Must be a Harvard phrase because a former Harvard educated principal, I worked under, used to say that all the time!

You know we all love ya!  Wink.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:55:50 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »

Unless you reply Summer In Paradise. In which case you are either having a wind up at the expense of others, deaf, insane, devoid of any music taste whatsoever...... or happen to be called Mike Love.
If nothing else, there are a few very nice singing performances on SIP, notably Al's contributions. I have never deemed it quite as terrible as most folks here do. Que, Cera, Cera!
Still looking for SIP at a decent price, saw it once for $8.00 at a used CD store and didn't buy it thinking nobody else would in the future and I could buy it anytime. I was wrong, somebody bought it. Thud

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

You could have set fire to that 8 dollars and had a much more rewarding, cheerful, and spiritually fulfilling experience than you would ever have with Summer In Paradise.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »

Well i do need to visit the darkness of SIP at least once. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

I didn't read the whole thread, but just to add my two cents:

My first real BBs experience was listening to Pet Sounds and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer back to back (I'd bought them at a clearance sale).  I couldn't believe that the same human beings were responsible for both sets of music, and I was instantly fascinated.  What other group goes from Beatles territory to Butthole Surfers territory seemingly overnight?!?! 

The "rise" and the "decline" are what make the BBs so fascinating, in my opinion.  I wouldn't change anything about their output in the 60s and early 70s. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »

the rest of you are obsessed with a group that lost their creatively as they became older and their career went on.
It's a different discussion if they wrote better songs before or after Pet Sounds and Smile, but they were definately more creative post-Smile than they were in 1961-1965. In the early years they basically had two types of songs: upbeat rock 'n' roll and romantic ballads. From 1967 on they tried everything from lo fi psychedelica to groovy rock 'n' roll, and from mystical soundscapes to blue eyed soul. Each album from Pet Sounds on had it's own unique identity, which can't really be said of the pre Today albums.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »

Well i do need to visit the darkness of SIP at least once. LOL
Amazon has some cassettes for $19.95 - the CD's are beaucoup buck$ !

Lahaina Aloha!

One Summer Night

Summer in Paradise!  

March to your own drummer!  Wink

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference."  (Robert Frost)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:34:12 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

the rest of you are obsessed with a group that lost their creatively as they became older and their career went on.
It's a different discussion if they wrote better songs before or after Pet Sounds and Smile, but they were definately more creative post-Smile than they were in 1961-1965. In the early years they basically had two types of songs: upbeat rock 'n' roll and romantic ballads. From 1967 on they tried everything from lo fi psychedelica to groovy rock 'n' roll, and from mystical soundscapes to blue eyed soul. Each album from Pet Sounds on had it's own unique identity, which can't really be said of the pre Today albums.
My TOP 10 favorite Beach Boys songs Has 3 Pre- Pet Sounds songs(Surfer Girl/ Don't Worry Baby/ In My Room) ,4 Pet Sounds songs(Wouldn't It Be Nice/ Caroline No/ That's Not Me/ God Only Knows) and 3 post- Pet Sounds songs (The Night Was So Young/ I Do Love You/ Be With Me) Pretty much you can tell what kind of songs by the BB's i love.
10. Be With Me
9. In My Room
8. Don't Worry Baby
7. God Only Knows
6. That's Not Me
5. I Do Love You
4. Surfer Girl
3. The Night Was So Young
2. Caroline No
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:47:10 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »

My top 3 are Friends, 20/20 and Sunflower.  Smiley Smile though Holland is my favorite period though I still can't get into the Surf's Up album at all (except for 'Til I Die and Surf's Up).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »

I'm going to end my life with fire. I mean it this time, you guys.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

I'm only a few years older than NewGuy but I still know what an opinion is. Also it doesn't matter if you've been a fan for 50 years or 50 days we're all still fans and as there is so much of the Beach Boys discography to get through there's enough  for everyone so whats the problem? Cool  Of course there will be music of there's you may not like but you don't need to tell people they can't prefer one era of the band  over another, even Summer In Paradise or Mike's solo albums! LOL
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »

Quote from: Newguy562 link=topic=12229.msg246031#msg246031 date=1328729325

[/quote
i can't believe smiley smile charted so high ...it's so bizarre.. and that sucks that sunflower charted lower then them all and  it was such a great group effort smh i always wondered why the albums/songs that flopped in the us did pretty well in the uk...

Before Pet Sounds, the only major sucess they had enjoyed in the UK singles charts was I Get Around and Barbara Ann, so they did not carry the stigma of being a 'fun in the sun surf band' that had pigeonholed them in America. People over here did not want or expect only one type of thing from The Beach Boys.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

Newguy: as I've said before, misstating something, having a fact wrong (no matter how insignificant), or professing an unpopular opinion on this board can be like slathering yourself in honey and climbing into a cage of starving grizzly bears.

Just ride it out and stick to your guns no matter how people might disagree or attack you.

The important thing is you love The Beach Boys and you're finding your sea-legs as a fan. The Beach Boys present a huge learning curve, so be prepared for the forks in the road and understand that us nerds here are so passionate about The Boys that it is indeed personal. But if you want to learn the goods, this is the place!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

Erik H, it's the total lack of respect for other's opinions that was bugging people. Not his actual opinion.  police
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

Newguy: as I've said before, misstating something, having a fact wrong (no matter how insignificant), or professing an unpopular opinion on this board can be like slathering yourself in honey and climbing into a cage of starving grizzly bears.

Just ride it out and stick to your guns no matter how people might disagree or attack you.

The important thing is you love The Beach Boys and you're finding your sea-legs as a fan. The Beach Boys present a huge learning curve, so be prepared for the forks in the road and understand that us nerds here are so passionate about The Boys that it is indeed personal. But if you want to learn the goods, this is the place!
Yes you're right the important thing is that i love the beach boys and so do all of you it's something we all share no matter the age,race,religion,social class Smiley it's great that we all find something in the bb's that attracted us to the point of signing up for a fan message board.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

Quote from: Newguy562 link=topic=12229.msg246031#msg246031 date=1328729325

[/quote

Before Pet Sounds, the only major sucess they had enjoyed in the UK singles charts was I Get Around and Barbara Ann, so they did not carry the stigma of being a 'fun in the sun surf band' that had pigeonholed them in America. People over here did not want or expect only one type of thing from The Beach Boys.
River Deep – Mountain High charted #3 in the uk and #88 in the Us.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »

Erik H, it's the total lack of respect for other's opinions that was bugging people. Not his actual opinion.  police

I get that, but I don't really read that from newguy's posts. He just seems young and with an attitude like any other 14 year old.

I've certainly seen much worse here by much more "mature" gentlemen.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx