gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:00:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38238 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »

I think you can be sure had the Beatles continued into the 70's there would have been at least one TERRIBLE album.
or maybe a few..i agree with that.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »

Probably most "boomers" on this board came to the Beach Boys with their earliest records.  However I actually came to be a BB's fan after Brian's Imagination.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.  And, for people to say "you're in denial" simply for expressing an opinion, well that's showing a little bit of disrespect IMHO.

After I became interested in Brian's solo music, I got into the Boys, but in reverse chronological order.

My point?

Pet Sounds is a beautiful work of genius, but it really is almost a solo album, isn't it?  Strangely enough, I listen post-Pet Sounds, WAY more than Pet Sounds.  Pre-Pet Sounds?  Meh!

Whereas, as a group effort, the Sunflower / Surf's Up period is a career height, as is Wild Honey / Friends.  These sets of albums stand next to anything the Beatles ever did.

So, I am only "sad" for two reasons:

1.) I wish the post-Pet Sounds albums I cited had received more critical approval at the time.  They deserved it.
2.) I wish the Boys had  moderated their intake of certain, ah, substances back in the day, ah.........

P.S.
New Guy, the Byrds got much better after Crosby quit (was fired actually by McGuinn and Hillman) and they added first Gram Parsons and then Clarence White.  Clarence was a better guitarist than Hendrix.

Stand next to anything the beatles did? that's probably the craziest thing i've seen posted on here Razz lol..ok let me think of the worst thing the beatles did ..or at least considered a low point..hmmm magical mystery tour(which is my favorite) completely over-shadows anything the beach boys did post smile by a landslide.
i feel that when grams started working with them they became a country group  Lips Sealed
I feel like you really don't have your own opinions about music, and just repeat what the music media of rolling stone, MTV, and VH1 tell you about the Beach Boys, Beatles and Byrds.
why do you feel that way?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=3626;sa=showPosts

Peruse through this and subsequent pages Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

BUUUUURNNNNNNN!!!!!  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

Probably most "boomers" on this board came to the Beach Boys with their earliest records.  However I actually came to be a BB's fan after Brian's Imagination.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.  And, for people to say "you're in denial" simply for expressing an opinion, well that's showing a little bit of disrespect IMHO.

After I became interested in Brian's solo music, I got into the Boys, but in reverse chronological order.

My point?

Pet Sounds is a beautiful work of genius, but it really is almost a solo album, isn't it?  Strangely enough, I listen post-Pet Sounds, WAY more than Pet Sounds.  Pre-Pet Sounds?  Meh!

Whereas, as a group effort, the Sunflower / Surf's Up period is a career height, as is Wild Honey / Friends.  These sets of albums stand next to anything the Beatles ever did.

1.) I wish the post-Pet Sounds albums I cited had received more critical approval at the time.  They deserved it.
2.) I wish the Boys had  moderated their intake of certain, ah, substances back in the day, ah.........

P.S.
New Guy, the Byrds got much better after Crosby quit (was fired actually by McGuinn and Hillman) and they added first Gram Parsons and then Clarence White.  Clarence was a better guitarist than Hendrix.

Stand next to anything the beatles did? that's probably the craziest thing i've seen posted on here Razz lol..ok let me think of the worst thing the beatles did ..or at least considered a low point..hmmm magical mystery tour(which is my favorite) completely over-shadows anything the beach boys did post smile by a landslide.
i feel that when grams started working with them they became a country group  Lips Sealed
I feel like you really don't have your own opinions about music, and just repeat what the music media of rolling stone, MTV, and VH1 tell you about the Beach Boys, Beatles and Byrds.
Parroting lines of "all Beatles albums are god", "beach boys done after smile"
It's a fact ..Mame one beatles album that is "bad"...I'm a fan of the beach boys i'm just being brutally honest even though most of you won't agree with me...after smile their music went downhill  :[ even though they had a few gems here and there.
The Beatles were a great band, but weren't perfect. Yellow submarine album sucked, early albums (while good) had filler covers, albums lacked great singles like strawberry fields, "white album" had revolution 9, and "let it be" was pieced together and overdubbed by Phil Spector from hours of session tapes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »

Probably most "boomers" on this board came to the Beach Boys with their earliest records.  However I actually came to be a BB's fan after Brian's Imagination.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.  And, for people to say "you're in denial" simply for expressing an opinion, well that's showing a little bit of disrespect IMHO.

My point?

Pet Sounds is a beautiful work of genius, but it really is almost a solo album, isn't it?  Strangely enough, I listen post-Pet Sounds, WAY more than Pet Sounds.  Pre-Pet Sounds?  Meh!

Whereas, as a group effort, the Sunflower / Surf's Up period is a career height, as is Wild Honey / Friends.  These sets of albums stand next to anything the Beatles ever did.

1.) I wish the post-Pet Sounds albums I cited had received more critical approval at the time.  They deserved it.
2.) I wish the Boys had  moderated their intake of certain, ah, substances back in the day, ah.........

P.S.
New Guy, the Byrds got much better after Crosby quit (was fired actually by McGuinn and Hillman) and they added first Gram Parsons and then Clarence White.  Clarence was a better guitarist than Hendrix.

i feel that when grams started working with them they became a country group  Lips Sealed

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=3626;sa=showPosts

Peruse through this and subsequent pages Smiley
you're definitely a creep.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »

My point?

P.S.

It's a fact ..Mame one beatles album that is "bad"...I'm a fan of the beach boys i'm just being brutally honest even though most of you won't agree with me...after smile their music went downhill  :[ even though they had a few gems here and there.
The Beatles were a great band, but weren't perfect. Yellow submarine album sucked, early albums (while good) had filler covers, albums lacked great singles like strawberry fields, "white album" had revolution 9, and "let it be" was pieced together and overdubbed by Phil Spector from hours of session tapes.
i'm not counting Yellow Submarine as an album ...it's just a soundtrack to the film (no cheating mister)
some of the covers...Yikes.."Honey Pie".."Maxwell's silver hammer".."Why don't we do it in the road".."Yellow submarine"..."Octopuses garden".."Yer Blues".."#9"..."maggie may"..."Mr. kite"...and some of those indian harrison songs lol
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »

My point?

P.S.

i'm not counting Yellow Submarine as an album ...it's just a soundtrack to the film (no cheating mister)
some of the covers...Yikes.."Honey Pie".."Maxwell's silver hammer".."Why don't we do it in the road".."Yellow submarine"..."Octopuses garden".."Yer Blues".."#9"..."maggie may"..."Mr. kite"...and some of those indian harrison songs lol

So my point is don't say the Beatles are perfect and never put out clunkers, because all bands do. The later Beach Boys is stuff is great in its own way.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

If Knewb's opinion just happens to follow the economic trajectory of a bands popularity, so be it.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

If Knewb's opinion just happens to follow the economic trajectory of a bands popularity, so be it.
it's not about popularity it's about good music thats all.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »

My point?

P.S.

So my point is don't say the Beatles are perfect and never put out clunkers, because all bands do. The later Beach Boys is stuff is great in its own way.
You have a point. wild honey pie = i wanna pick you up lol
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

For the record, I love both Honey Pies, Yer Blues, and everything "of those indian harrison songs lol".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

Probably most "boomers" on this board came to the Beach Boys with their earliest records.  However I actually came to be a BB's fan after Brian's Imagination.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.  And, for people to say "you're in denial" simply for expressing an opinion, well that's showing a little bit of disrespect IMHO.

My point?

Pet Sounds is a beautiful work of genius, but it really is almost a solo album, isn't it?  Strangely enough, I listen post-Pet Sounds, WAY more than Pet Sounds.  Pre-Pet Sounds?  Meh!

Whereas, as a group effort, the Sunflower / Surf's Up period is a career height, as is Wild Honey / Friends.  These sets of albums stand next to anything the Beatles ever did.

1.) I wish the post-Pet Sounds albums I cited had received more critical approval at the time.  They deserved it.
2.) I wish the Boys had  moderated their intake of certain, ah, substances back in the day, ah.........

P.S.
New Guy, the Byrds got much better after Crosby quit (was fired actually by McGuinn and Hillman) and they added first Gram Parsons and then Clarence White.  Clarence was a better guitarist than Hendrix.

i feel that when grams started working with them they became a country group  Lips Sealed
It's a fact ..name one beatles album that is "bad"...I'm a fan of the beach boys i'm just being brutally honest even though most of you won't agree with me...after smile their music went downhill  :[ even though they had a few gems here and there.

I think Beatles "For Sale" is really really rather weak despite containing some obviously great songs.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »

Newguy is like 14 yrs old guys, so give him a break. at least he's listening to good music.

big Byrds fan here as well... I see a lot of parallels between them and the Beach Boys. they were really the only other American band who could compete with the Beatles for a time.

Gene Clark was by far the most talented of the original lineup. such a rare and introspective talent... like Brian. and he got bullied by McGuinn and Crosby a good deal.

Gram Parsons was another rare talent with so much ambition and vision. He came to L.A. and took not only Crosby's slot in the Byrds, but his girlfriend too. Gram also got fired from the band, but within months he had Byrds Chris Hillman and Mike Clarke in his own band and they recorded one of the coolest and most influential albums of all-time with 'Gilded Palace of Sin'. pretty amazing when you think about it.

then Clarence White joined the Byrds. another absolutely amazing talent. I don't know if he was "better" than Hendrix, their styles were at opposite ends of the spectrum... but he was one of Jimi's favorites.

it amazes me how much genius passed through that band, but like the Beach Boys they were led by a lesser talent who eventually went the nostalgic route.

such a shame that Gene Clark never got the recognition he deserved, and that Gram and Clarence both died so young... they weren't anywhere near being finished.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:43:49 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »

Let's not forget Michale Clark!

His primitive/tribal drumming on Eight Miles High is a breakthrough moment, I feel for rock! And he was nice and loose live. Plus, his drumming on their other records was nice and garage rockish, keeping them from being too slick ever.

I know Hal Blaine claims he played on everything and really kinda ruined Clark's rep.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »

yeah i see a lot of similarity between Mike Clarke and Dennis as well
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »

For the record, I love both Honey Pies, Yer Blues, and everything "of those indian harrison songs lol".
i like honey pie , and all the harisson songs too i'm just pointing out their weaker songs .
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »

My point?

P.S.

It's a fact ..name one beatles album that is "bad"...I'm a fan of the beach boys i'm just being brutally honest even though most of you won't agree with me...after smile their music went downhill  :[ even though they had a few gems here and there.

I think Beatles "For Sale" is really really rather weak despite containing some obviously great songs.
always was my least favorite maybe because of all those cover songs.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

Man, I love Sweetheart of The Rodeo! But then I like country music, so you probably think I have no taste  Roll Eyes

You have EXCELLENT taste, indeed you do!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

i like honey pie , and all the harisson songs too i'm just pointing out their weaker songs .

What exactly do you find "weak" about them?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

I don't know why I spent the time reading this entire thread, yet another one of Newguy's emoticon-filled-endlessly-debated-previously subjects that makes him look like he is, indeed, fourteen years old.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

I am going to go on record and state that Newguy is not cool

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

I wonder how newguy feels about Mike!

OSD has been strangely silent lately, perhaps he's been reincarnated???

But let's go easy on newguy!

He's 14 years old. Weren't we all opinionated yet ill-informed merdaholes at that age? And aren't we exactly that (but maybe a bit more informed) still?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »

Also, it was not just,

The Byrds: 'Hey, Gram Parsons, you wanna join The Byrds?'

GP: 'Yeah! BTW, we're now going to make a country album.'

It was not only the way the individual Byrds were heading (Hillman especially), but also a lot of the LA scene. The Dillards, The Beau Brummels, Gram Parsons himself, Gene Clark (a Byrd, after all) amongst others were all making country/bluegrass albums in 1968/1969, and predating the early 70's LA scene's fixation with country music. It's the way the scene was going, and The Byrds got the enviable chance to go down to Nashville and use the real pros to make Sweetheart.

You are 100% correct.

McGuinn and Hillman did as much as Gram to make Sweetheart a country even bluegrass (see "I Am a Pilgrim" and "Pretty Boy Floyd") album.  Chris had been a long time mandolin picker in the Scottsville Squirrel Barkers and, of course, The Hillmen.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »

Perhaps he is only 14.

It doesn't give him the right to tell people to "chill the f*** out". He doesn't need to say we're all "in denial" for having an opinion.

The more I read his posts the more I think he's a troll: He pisses us off, then he backs away. He pisses us off even more, then backs away....It was amusing, but now it's just plain annoying.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx