gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50064 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »

Sorry! Beach Boys are second to The Beatles for me.

Mccartney/Lennon were the greatest songwriters of all time during the Beatles years. BW had the talent to match them but other things got in the way for him.
putting the beatles at the top of the music spectrum is like putting mcdonalds on top of the burger spectrum....I mean seriously mccartney was good not great and lennon was ok but neither were NOWHERE near brian, cmon.

You are seriously comparing the Beatles to McDonalds?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

Just more trolling from him, seeing as the post he quoted is from over two years ago.

My second favorite band is probably the Beatles, but my second favorite artist is Frank Sinatra.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

putting the beatles at the top of the music spectrum is like putting mcdonalds on top of the burger spectrum.

adding this to my signature, thanks kookadams

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »

Mccartney/Lennon were the greatest songwriters of all time during the Beatles years. BW had the talent to match them but other things got in the way for him.
putting the beatles at the top of the music spectrum is like putting mcdonalds on top of the burger spectrum....I mean seriously mccartney was good not great and lennon was ok but neither were NOWHERE near brian, cmon.

I challenge you to post ten times without mentioning the Beatles. Do you accept this challenge?
On a side note, who do you think is second to Brian?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:21:04 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
thechaplin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »

I suppose it would be The Beatles for me, however, I am equally partial to Motown (as a whole.... the sound was primarily created by a group of a session musicians 'the Funk Bros.). But nothing even comes close to the BBs Smiley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:06:16 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 20, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »

Dion"not Celine or Warwick"Dimucci is probably my second favorite artist followed by the Eagles, ZZTop, and the Buckinghams <just something about the Horns>

I've had The Buckinghams on a lot this year. Their Portraits LP is pretty amazing even though they didn't like some of James Guercio's input.

I will focus on a couple of different bands in a year's time - one of the bands I am exploring more in depth is The Monkees.
I got the DVD sets too.  For a solo artist I have been spinning a lot of Glen Campbell (my wife like to listen to him too)

In a few months it will be something else....

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »

Red House Painters / Sun Kil Moon

Yes, a million times. Obsessed over "Ghosts…" for a long time before moving onto the rest and each release blew me away and still does. Seeing Koz next week in London.

I know I've posted in this thread before but for comparison at the moment I'd say it's a tie: RHP/SKM, a-ha, Prefab Sprout, Tears for Fears, Neil Young.

Great to see a couple more users being into Kozelek's music! Ghosts was huge for me when it came out. Loved the records he did last year with Desertshore and Jimmy Lavalle.

I really enjoy his stage banter, by the way. Occasionally it's a bit rude but he can be incredibly funny sometimes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2014, 03:45:49 AM »

You are seriously comparing the Beatles to McDonalds?!
McBeatles is a good band name! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2014, 03:48:50 AM »

Genesis and Status Quo.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2014, 04:02:21 AM »

Red House Painters / Sun Kil Moon

That's really coincidental to read this, as I've been obssessed with the album Benji this week. Possibly my favorite of this year.

When the song "Micheline" was premiered on the web a couple of months before Benji came out I could hardly listen to anything else for weeks I think.
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2014, 04:13:12 AM »

My 2nd favourite band is Super Furry Animals, check out the track listing on their 'Under The Influence' compilation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Influence_(compilation_album)#Super_Furry_Animals
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »

xtc (later, post-skylarking: I'm a bit 'meh' before that, but from oranges and lemons on, I think they were incredible... nonsuch and apple venus are out of this world, right up there with my favourite music ever)

Matt,  Great!  We are looking for confessors over at the xtc place  Thread.  The General Music Discussion section can be such a lonely place.  Hope to see you there soon.
peace, Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »

My 2nd favourite band is Super Furry Animals, check out the track listing on their 'Under The Influence' compilation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Influence_(compilation_album)#Super_Furry_Animals

They're great, but I only know two albums (Rings Around The World and Fuzzy Logic). But especially RATW ist very awesome
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

oh, this thread...too many to list.  I have a long list over on my profile page at Amazon USA.  Probably will forget  some, but I'll give it a try (fifty-something years and counting).  Artists and bands that stay in rotation:
UKer's:  The Beatles and all Wings albums.  All of Paul through 1999's Run Devil Run, after that I get selective and hit skip a lot.  My other UK favorites are John Martyn (all eras, a great man - Big Muff), Traffic, The Hollies, The Kinks, Procol Harum, Fleetwood Mac (again, the skip button gets used a bit after Buckingham/Nicks got on board, but all the rest are Top thru 1974).  Then The Stones and Who.  I'm a big fan of Jack Bruce, Brian Auger (with and without Julie Driscoll), lots of prog (Genesis, ELP, early Yes), and Bee Gees (most of it, but pre-R&B best) too.
Nazz and all of Todd Rundgren's disguises after that.
Laura Nyro is my favorite female artist hands down.  Bobbie Gentry, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Christine McVie, Bonnie Bramlett, Emmylou Harris, and Judy Collins, are a few - but this list could be very long.  I'll add two more that never get mentioned around here, Judee Sill and Corinne Drewery (should have put Swing Out Sister with the UK groups - I own everything they ever did).  
more?  The best way to say this:  Buffalo Springfield and The Byrds - all the projects that flowed from these two bands are part of the soundtrack of my youth, though everybody I'm listing is.  Speaking of which - The Box Tops (and nearly anything Alex was involved in), Michael Nesmith - I got into the Monkees only after hearing him in 1970.  Herb Pedersen, boy, he's on a lot of my favorite records.  The Band (and another Canadian - Gordon Lightfoot).  California produced so many great musical moments (in case you don't know, The Beach Boys are my favorite), but must mention Spirit (while Jay and Mark was with them), Iron Butterfly (that too was short but sweet), Steve Miller Band (best of the Bay Area 60's thru mid-70's acts), Boz Scaggs, Quicksilver and Santana's first four get played often here too.  From the East: Harry Nilsson, The Rascals, Steely Dan (and Donald's solo stuff), The Buckinghams, Blood, Sweat and Tears (1-4 are best), I at least *like* everything Al Kooper did (most of it I love), the original Chicago (not so much after Terry died), I like a lot of horn bands, even one that gets no respect around here- Ides of March.  Marc Benno (first three albums), every note Delaney and Bonnie played, J J Cale, and I haven't even got to American Soul Music yet- heavy rotation on Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and loads of the Philly stuff.
As an old guy, I just mostly listen to old music.  Other than McCartney, nobody has worn out their welcome, but I am buying all the Deluxe Book/Box sets he's releasing - mostly to get the DVDs.  Can't wait (and hope I'm still around for Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life).
Modern Sounds/the 80's and on... I'll stick xtc, projects by Paul Weller, and Eurythmics (and Annie solo) here. I love what Michael McDonald is doing these days, he's become one of my favorite current singers.  And the best for last:  I saw some movie with Dennis Quaid, I think in 2004, forget the name of it.  Anyway, what really stood out was the soundtrack.  I was introduced to one Sam Beam.  Sam, both solo and with his band Iron and Wine is the best new thing I've heard since... Well, the last thing I can remember liking as much was Oasis, so the mid-90's.  All the other new music will have to wait 'til I have the time.  I'm still open.    
how's that?  This is just off the top of my head, sure I've left many out, and maybe better listed in some other thread.  A quick visit to the music room could fix it...  Wait one more modern music maker, and he's right here posting among us.  Mike (My Brother Woody), you won't be disappointed if you go over to the Smiler's making music section or just click to his web site next time you see him posting.  He's got a new album out, and his first album (2007) is Top.  Great at cover versions too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:56:24 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »

I'd have to go with the Beatles next. Then really enjoy Three Dog Night; The Guess Who; America; The Turtles; The (Young) Rascals; The Who; The Moody Blues; Fleetwood Mac (and then just about most 60's groups).
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »

The Moody Blues
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »

Yep, left some out...  I own ever record by The Turtles, The Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, and most of America's stuff.

Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

Hot Water by Super Furry Animals spin-off group GULP, I reckon they've heard Pet Sounds once or twice ...and Cool Cool Water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8Ow0nyn2U
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

The beatles/mcdonalds statement was a little thing called sarcam, cuz people get so riled up anytime you use a metaphor that they cant comprehend. Any time the beatles are given anything other than praise that person gets called a troll or some other horsesh.it. it just makes no sense to me why a whole thread would dedicated towards dissecting the 1 or 2 joke tracks on early BBs albums...and then to say the beatles had no filler is ridiculous.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »

cool
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »

I challenge you to post ten times without mentioning the Beatles. Do you accept this challenge?
second to brian in terms of timeless great music and brilliant integral output? Thatz a hard 1/ Ive said it before and Ill again, in 1977 when the ramones put out their first masterpiece albums it was the first time in a decade that rock was back on track.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »

second to brian in terms of timeless great music and brilliant integral output? Thatz a hard 1/ Ive said it before and Ill again, in 1977 when the ramones put out their first masterpiece albums it was the first time in a decade that rock was back on track.

You're honestly telling me that the second greatest composer to Brian Wilson is the Ramones - a band known for using simplistic chords/chord progressions and for sticking to a rigid formula? Like Abe says, "man, you must be puttin' me on."
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »

I dont think there was/is ANY songwriter/composer that come close to Brian Wilson; not McCartney , not Dylan, NO ONE. McCartney might a been close but not with Lennon, Paul was great but were not talkin Wilson and Love so I dont see how Lennon is even in the same league. The Ramones might have been 'simple' but they were brilliant/ their albums Rocket to Russia, End of the Century and Pleasant Dreams was THE best pure rock of the late 70s/early 80s barnone. There was NO era past the mid 60s with any "brilliant" writers that revolutionized the industry like Brian, Jan Berry and Spector but the Ramomes epitomized that era and rejuvenated rock at a time when disco and arena rock crap dominated mainstream radio .
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:19 AM »

I think your blinkers have blinkers on them. Plenty of great stuff between 1967 to 1977.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx