gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:38:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50407 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:48 AM »

Second favorite band? Stone Temple Pilots (before the reunion...I hate hate hate HATE their latest album), followed closely by Pink Floyd.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 02:46:37 AM »

For me, The Beatles and Pink Floyd are tied with The Beach Boys for the first place.

Other bands/artists I like : The Kinks, Aerosmith (the 70's), Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Simon & Garfunkel, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Paul McCartney & Wings etc.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 02:58:58 AM »

Second favorite band? Stone Temple Pilots (before the reunion...I hate hate hate HATE their latest album), followed closely by Pink Floyd.

Nice choice, "Piece Of Pie" is one of my favourite songs ever

Core is a stone cold classic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 04:29:50 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwB0zcx96-A&feature=related

Check out what he says at around 1:15
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 04:45:37 AM »

This is nearly impossible for me to decide. I got about 20 different albums for Christmas by 15 different artists. At this point I haven't even memorized any of the words or anything. Its too much. I've heard so much music in the last month that I don't even know what my favorite is even. I know before Christmas I was on a Beach Boys binge for about three months. Before that it was britpop. Before that rap. Before that punk. Before that Beatles. Before that the Who. Before that The Beatles. Before that Radiohead. Thats just what i was listening to constantly. But if at this point I had to list my favorites in order at this point it would be

Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
The Who
Kinks
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
CSN(Y)
Byrds
60's pre-greatness bands (Buffalo Springfield, Yardbirds, Small Faces)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »

Spiritualized.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 06:40:13 AM »

NRBQ

Cook pork throughly
Jason
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 06:53:09 AM »

Oh, his TV appearances after 1984 or so are simultaneously hilarious and pathetic. He was almost always drunk from that period onward.

However, this incident is a classic case of Gainsbourg being his provocative self and succeeding admirably at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ITKLbictI - Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Gainsbourg playing Constipation Blues on two pianos. Priceless.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:56:00 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:07 AM »

The Who, followed closely by the Kinks.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »

The fab four

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »

Two words - Pink Floyd. One of my roommates from a college program I did a while back turned me onto them, and I became obsessed. Definitely my second favorite band after the Beach Boys.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »

The Ramones

1. Beach Boys
2. The Ramones

Two greatest bands in history Smiley Smiley

I 2nd that! amen!!

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

Beach Boys, Ramones, Jan&Dean, Queers, Surf Punks-
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »

My Top 2 have been the same for 20 years:

1. The Beach Boys (and solo acts)
2. Basia (she has nothing to do with the Beach Boys, but this woman has the most gorgeous voice you'll ever hear, and much like the Beach Boys, even her sad songs sound happy!  Her Polish accent adds extra charm to most of her music)

Other rotating but consistent favorites in my top 10:

Jan & Dean (this is a given for many fans of early BB, favorite album "Save For A Rainy Day")

The Surfaris (consistently top 5 or 6...there are tracks that I could listen to daily and not get tired of!)

Los Tucanes De Tijuana (#3 for several years for me, interest has waned somewhat...like the Beach Boys, they have a lead singer with a somewhat nasal voice, and many of their hits are fun and "bouncy" and happy-sounding)

The Doobie Brothers (probably the current #3, been a consitent favorite for many many years, their latest album is great!)

Annette Funicello (her quirky style and unique voice and bright sunny music do it for me)

Jesse McCartney (laugh if you like, but he's got pipes, solid songwriting skills, and puts a lot of work into his craft)

Jody Watley (her early stuff, and her recent stuff, not so much the stuff in between)

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

Heard "Black Water" today on the radio, Eric, and thought to add them to my list of favorites here. From my neck o' the woods, and I like them best with Tom Johnston and without Michael McDonald!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »

Oh man, "Black Water" is one of my favorites...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »

Ah, Pat Simmons wrote that - a good guy! There's a lot of live versions of Black Water that I've heard over the years and love 'em all. When they go to different cities, instead of "Mississippi Moon won't you keep on shinin' on me", sometimes they'll change "Mississippi" to whatever city they're in and the crowd roars! I asked Tom Johnston once about Skunk Baxter and he denied ever knowing him!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »

After the Beach Boys:
1.Actually TIED w/the BB's can only be................Genesis
Anything from "Trespass" (1970) til "Duke" in 1980. 'Supper's Ready' is still the Greatest song ever written.

2. RUSH  - what more can be said about the most awesome 3-piece band ever! 1974-1982.

3. Gary Numan  - Huge influence musically on me!

4. Roxy Music  -  Bryan Ferry & Co. are still unbeatable to this day as far as innovation and artistry.

5. Marillion  -   The Fish era was incomprable!

6. Cat Stevens  -  what more can be said..............Harold & Maude!

7. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Motorhead, Ozzy {w/Randy Rhoads}, MSG

8. Jethro Tull -  "Passion Play" and "Thick as a Brick"

Bri~

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:37:21 PM by Big Bri » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »

Heard "Black Water" today on the radio, Eric, and thought to add them to my list of favorites here. From my neck o' the woods, and I like them best with Tom Johnston and without Michael McDonald!
Same here!  There are some songs from the beginning of the Michael McDonald era that I like, but once he was fully established, his sound totally took over and the band was totally different...not totally bad, but very very different.
SBonilla
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »

2. Basia (she has nothing to do with the Beach Boys, but this woman has the most gorgeous voice you'll ever hear, and much like the Beach Boys, even her sad songs sound happy!  Her Polish accent adds extra charm to most of her music)
Jan & Dean (this is a given for many fans of early BB, favorite album "Save For A Rainy Day")
The Surfaris (consistently top 5 or 6...there are tracks that I could listen to daily and not get tired of!)
Los Tucanes De Tijuana (#3 for several years for me, interest has waned somewhat...like the Beach Boys, they have a lead singer with a somewhat nasal voice, and many of their hits are fun and "bouncy" and happy-sounding)
The Doobie Brothers (probably the current #3, been a consitent favorite for many many years, their latest album is great!)
Annette Funicello (her quirky style and unique voice and bright sunny music do it for me)
Jesse McCartney (laugh if you like, but he's got pipes, solid songwriting skills, and puts a lot of work into his craft)
Jody Watley (her early stuff, and her recent stuff, not so much the stuff in between)
I like your list!

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »

Had the same debate with a few mates of mine in the pub tonight , one of my mates listed his second fav as the BB's behind the Beatles ( never knew it ) and his fav BB's song is 'When I grow Up' cool............... Better than Madness etc that the others came up with  Smiley

My collection ( other tha BB's ) is around 2000 CD's/Albums etc.. and quite frankly runs from ABBA to ZZ Top , I just love music but if i live to 150 years old will never have to time to listen to all of it HOWEVER push comes to shove i listen to ( The Most ) and love the following ;-

Nick Drake
The Stranglers ( Great Band )
XTC ( Bloody love them )
ELO
Led Zep
J Geils Band
Wondermints
Prefab Sprout
The Who
ELO
Fleetwood Mac ( All Genres )
Korgis / Stackridge
ABBA
Simon & Garfunkel

The list could go on and on but probably 2nd fav is possibly a split between XTC and The Stranglers
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »

It's a toss up between  The Beatles & The Rolling Stones Smiley Though i have been hooked on Pink Floyd/Radiohead/The Smiths lately.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »

I like your list!

Thanks!
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

Band : The Beatles

Artist: Van Morrison ("Jackie Wilson Said" is 2:59 of perfection).

Another Band that either is forgotten or nobody ever knew is Beaver Brown.  They were dismissed as Springsteen wannabes but that was not fair.   There is as much a Beach Boys influence (with an East coast Twist) as Springsteen, especially in their 70's stuff.

Check out 1!:05 of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8UkWp3pGo

Check out 0:54 of this (and the part starting at 3:37 is alot more Brian than Bruce:

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=aR8r0OJXBpY

Plus, at some point in the 80's John Cafferty said that "Eddie and ther Cruisers" was the story of SMiLE.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

You like ELO twice as much as the other bands, eh Rob?  I really like them two!  Grin

2000 CD's and albums........................damn.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx