gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:23:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Smile Sessions MONO - a disaster for the Beach Boys' Legacy  (Read 17601 times)
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »

as a young person (I'm 20) I cant stand the mono mixes. I am a HUGE BB fan, and an even bigger fan of Pet Sounds and Smile,

BUT I CAN TELL EVERYONE HERE THAT NOBODY MY AGE WILL LISTEN TO MONO PS OR SMILE

Speak for yourself bro. I'm only a few yrs older than you, and I love mono.

If your saying The Beatles 2009 remasters from 'Please Please' me up to 'Abbey Road' are better in stereo than mono.. well y'no...
there are fans, and there are music fans

What did you say? I can't hear you! I'm listening to Sgt Peppers 2009 stereo remix!

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »

as a young person (I'm 20) I cant stand the mono mixes. I am a HUGE BB fan, and an even bigger fan of Pet Sounds and Smile,

Speak for yourself bro. I'm only a few yrs older than you, and I love mono.

If your saying The Beatles 2009 remasters from 'Please Please' me up to 'Abbey Road' are better in stereo than mono.. well y'no...
there are fans, and there are music fans

What did you say? I can't hear you! I'm listening to Sgt Peppers 2009 stereo remix!

ha ha welllllll that ONE i may give you - although i also prefer the mono of that too, gotta say i do prefer listening to what the band intended you to listen to ie mono/stereo
Arthur Lee's Love - the Stereo remaster/remixes are WAYYYYY not as good as the Mono originals
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »

There is a big difference between making a digitally-extracted stereo mix listenable versus going above and beyond to present it respectfully and without removing any musical content. Lots of people here complain about the lack of a stereo Smile, as if it's some sort of grand mystery and oversight on part of the producers. I find this amusing: like the experts who have worked with this stuff for years, who do this for a living, are going to receive revelatory technical advice from anonymous message board users, most of whom have zero experience at professional audio engineering.

Whether you realize it or not, the expectations we have for fan mixes are profoundly different than what we (and the general record-buying public) have for professional releases. Speaking as a big, big proponent for investigating digitally-extracted stereo and someone who has made contributions in this regard, I have never heard a fan mix that I preferred over the professional release, including my own. When you clear your head and pull yourself back from the excitement, they just don't sound as good.

Record labels are't perfect, and I'm sure compromises were made, but the fans here who antagonize Capitol are viewing the company through the narrow lens of the Capitol from 40 years ago. What evidence is there that Capitol is demanding a stereo release of Smile? Why pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into such an effort for results that will only cater to a very small market, some of whom will hate it anyway? Whether it was the producers' decision, Brian's decision, or whoever, going mono was the smartest thing the company could have done to find a balance between sound quality, market appeal, money, and getting it released on time -- all factors that fans never have to consider and conveniently ignore.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »

Austin: Well Said. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »

Alright.  I'll bite. 

You're 20.  Your Brain isn't even finished growing.  You won't know sh*t about sh*t for at least another 8 years or so.  When your brain finally stops growing, you'll realize that what you just said is completely ridiculous. 

Not slamming you.  I used to be 20.  I still say ridiculous things from time to time, but boy you should have seen the stupid things I thought back when I was your age. 

It's alright.  We all have horrible music taste like you do when we're 20.  LOL.  You're not old enough to know the difference between mono and stereo; your underdeveloped Brain still thinks that stereo means there's more speakers. 

Lock yourself in a room with Phil Spector's "Back to Mono" box for 3 years, that should straighten you out. 

I don't think it's quite fair to attack him based on his age.  Preferring stereo to mono isn't exclusively a "young person" thing - everyone has their tastes.  Perhaps he could have been a little less blunt about it, but there's nothing inherently wrong with not being a fan of mono.  And moreover, his complaint was more based on the fact that more people are going to listen on iPods or other mobile devices rather than big speakers, which isn't the ideal way to listen to mono anyways.

I'm not saying I agree with his thesis (I think Smile works well in mono, and Austin made some good points as well), but I don't think the insinuation that his opinions are wrong because he's 20 is justified. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »

Yeah, right on, Austin.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »

It can't be complete, and in stereo, without sounding messy, or overly digitally processed, or simply having vast swathes of it missing. It's that simple. What were they supposed to do?

And everyone knows youtube comments are the cesspool of public opinion anyway.

Thank you Austin, you said it exactly. I raved over seltaeb1012002's fan mix he just posted, it's amazing, but if something like that got released as 'The Definitive SMiLE', everyone here would line up to kick Linett and Boyd in the nads. They did the respectful thing, as they had to do.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »

Mono is rubish. Just like black and wite filmz and steem enjens. I also h8 classicle musik cos they didnt even no how 2 rekord musik then they just wrot it on paper. How stoopid is that? Old stuff suks.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 09:35:55 AM »

It's IMPOSSIBLE to release a full SMiLE in stereo. Unless you can find

1. The Good Vibrations vocal multitracks

2. The Barnyard multitracks

3. The missing You Were My Sunshine vocal multitracks

4. The missing Cabinessence lead + truck drivin' man overdubs

5. The ability to magically make Our Prayer (which was recorded on one mike) in stereo

6. The multitrack for the acetate vocals on Child is Father of the Man

Past that, most of the major bits of TSS have already got stereo mixes (Heroes and Villains, Vega-Tables, Wind Chimes, backing for Cabinessence, Surf's Up, technically Holidays and Look), and the only thing that
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

5. The ability to magically make Our Prayer (which was recorded on one mike) in stereo

Past that, most of the major bits of TSS have already got stereo mixes (Heroes and Villains, Vega-Tables, Wind Chimes, backing for Cabinessence, Surf's Up, technically Holidays and Look), and the only thing that

You're going to have a hard time explaining this to the casual music fan who whorships his Pet Sounds box.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »

This thread should be about SMiLE in duophonic, which would have been a disaster for the Beach Boy's legacy.

A:  I made a duophonic SMiLE - Child sounds awesome!

B: I can understand having a preference to stereo over mono (I mainly play records, and, for the borad, I'm 16), but saying one is unlistenable? It just doesn't make sense to me. I Know there ares ome songs that come out today with very little stereo, maybe a single sound effect in the left ear, and yet you don't complain about that!

C:
Quote from: Curtis Leon on Today at 17:35:55

I thought we had these?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »

Not for the track, apparently. the vocals are in stereo, and exist in the vaults, but Mark and Alan didn't put them on the box.... not even on the backing vocals montage  Cry Cry

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »

I didn't read any responses to the original post, but I am also 20 years old, and that's just not correct. Let's be honest, modern day stereo is almost mono. Seperation is really, really narrow. Wide stereo of the 60s is a thing of the past. SMiLE in mono is actually closer to the format most young people are listening to.

In addition to that fact, I think most people hearing this material for the first time are drawn to the MUSIC, not the format the music is in.

I myself like Mono and Stereo for a variety of different reasons. There are bad mono mixes and there are bad stereo mixes.  The SMiLE Sessions (Disc 1) sounds really clean, and is in fantastic quality. The fact that we can all own this material in such a nifty package is a joy. Just enjoy it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »

Two more statements I'd like to make:

If somebody your age is too close minded to listen to music because it's in mono, than he or she probably won't be open minded enough to listen to music from 1966/1967, period.

Most people under 30 don't even know what "mono" means, they'll probably hardly realize why it sounds somehow different than most of the other music they listen to.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

I would consider Smiley Smile to be among their top 4-5 albums

So where's your post complaining that there's no stereo mix of Smiley Smile
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »

You're going to have a hard time explaining this to the casual music fan who whorships his Pet Sounds box.

The casual music fan doesn't OWN the Pet Sounds box...the casual fan undoubtedly owns only the album.

Also @ cablegodden, almost everything necessary for Pet Sounds in stereo exists, which is not the case for Smile.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:59:09 AM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »

The casual music fan doesn't OWN the Pet Sounds box...the casual fan undoubtedly owns only the album.

Also @ cablegodden, almost everything necessary for Pet Sounds in stereo exists, which is not the case for Smile.

it's on spotify and youtube  Undecided

sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

To those who don't like mono, the vinyl says hello.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »

it's on spotify and youtube  Undecided

Check out those popularity ratings on Spotify and how many views Beach Boys songs have on youtube.  The number of people listening to these albums through those sites cannot justify a stereo Smile release.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »

Mono is the definitive way to hear '60s Beach Boys.  It would be a shame in SMILE were released in only stereo!

Sorry, but you're plain wrong about young people not being interested in mono.  In fact, it seems like there has been a 'Back to Mono' trend in new music lately.  There are several new bands releasing mono tracks and mono albums.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »

Mono is the definitive way to hear '60s Beach Boys.  It would be a shame in SMILE were released in only stereo!

Sorry, but you're plain wrong about young people not being interested in mono.  In fact, it seems like there has been a 'Back to Mono' trend in new music lately.  There are several new bands releasing mono tracks and mono albums.
Glad to see the lost art of mono tracks and albums coming back. This whole thread is inane and pointless, SMiLE was never meant to be in real stereo.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »

Beach Boys albums never released in Stereo:

1 - Surfin Safari
2 - Today
3 - Summer Days
4 - Party
5 - Smiley Smile
6 - Wild Honey

Pretty good company!

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

honestly, if you don't tell people something is mono, a lot of times they don't even notice ... especially on vinyl.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »

This thread sucks balls.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

This thread sucks balls.
This board is starting to suck balls with annoying posters starting threads over the place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:56:55 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx