gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:37:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129164 times)
MBE
« Reply #800 on: July 06, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

I still think the only thing that would be cool are radically different alternates, good vintage live shows, and most inportantly unreleased songs from all era's. I don't care a damn about new mixes or collections. The only reissues I would buy are titles (w bonus cuts, box sets, CD only) not on vinyl as of today.
PhilCohen
« Reply #801 on: August 04, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

To revive this long-dormant thread, I'd like to ask this question:

Could it be, that the reason that the 2-CD "50th Anniversary" greatest hits set never happened, is because Capitol decided that the many already existing hits CD's were satisfactory to serve those consumers who wanted the hits, I.E. that a new "Greatest Hits" collection was not needed?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 04, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Scott Bennett told me on facebook last night to "Look for Shiny album in a month." Any one have a clue what he may have been alluding to?

When I met him backstage, he said "LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME." I thought *I* was gonna be the one making money given what he said, but as I approached him, he took fourty dollars from my wallet in a matter of seconds and without even moving. I was angry and tried to stab him in the face, but it went right through him as if he was invisible or something. I had no choice but to leave, but that's okay, as there were two large fires in the room (in perfectly symmetrical positions in the room on both sides of him, strangely enough) and I have to assume they only grew in size to the point of trapping and killing him.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 04, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

Could it be, that the reason that the 2-CD "50th Anniversary" greatest hits set never happened, is because Capitol decided that the many already existing hits CD's were satisfactory to serve those consumers who wanted the hits, I.E. that a new "Greatest Hits" collection was not needed?

Phil, you need glasses. Put um on and see the "New GH due Sept" thread".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
PhilCohen
« Reply #804 on: August 04, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

I looked at the link to Amazon.com. It's a one-disc, not the 2-CD, 50 song collection that Mr.Doe hinted we'd get. Perhaps Capitol is scaling back their plans for 50th Anniversary CD product. At this point, perhaps all we can hope for is that EMi Japan will continue their remasters series with more titles. Apparently, Capitol doesn't think that there's a market in the U.S.A. for any Beach Boys material other than 21st century studio or live material.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 04, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

"One disc" is a standard place holder for new CD listings on Amazon.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »

I looked at the link to Amazon.com. It's a one-disc, not the 2-CD, 50 song collection that Mr.Doe hinted we'd get. Perhaps Capitol is scaling back their plans for 50th Anniversary CD product. At this point, perhaps all we can hope for is that EMi Japan will continue their remasters series with more titles. Apparently, Capitol doesn't think that there's a market in the U.S.A. for any Beach Boys material other than 21st century studio or live material.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Interrupting, Pessimistic Phil.
Interrupting, Pessimistic Ph-NO ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM CAPITOL, LABEL GOING UNDER, YOUR LEADER AGD WRONG, REMASTERS EXCLUSIVE TO JAPAN FOREVER.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
PhilCohen
« Reply #807 on: August 04, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »

"One disc" is a standard place holder for new CD listings on Amazon.

But the pricing implies that the one-disc description is correct.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 04, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »

Put on those thick glasses again and read what Al Jardine told me about "50 Big Ones".  

Now stop your idiotic babble!  You just look foolish!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
PhilCohen
« Reply #809 on: August 04, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Interrupting, Pessimistic Ph-NO ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM CAPITOL, LABEL GOING UNDER, YOUR LEADER AGD WRONG, REMASTERS EXCLUSIVE TO JAPAN FOREVER.

You say that I'm pessimistic , yet here is one indisputably true statistic: The news blackout during the development of the "50th Anniversary" CD box set and CD "Commemorative" product has now gone on for 8 months. That is 3 months longer than the news blackout during the creation of the "Smile Sessions" box set.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Japanese release more remastered titles, and they bring us a stereo "Wild Honey" album, then my quest for Beach Boys archival CD product ends with that disc. As for whatever archival CD's or box set Capitol may someday offer in the U.S.A., I'm increasingly convinced that whatever we're going to have to go through to extract these releases from a reluctant Capitol Records, it just ain't worth it. And this post is from an avid fan, who has collected Beach Boys music for 44 years(including spending $2200 on Beach Boys bootleg CD's in the 1990's)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:54:16 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: August 04, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

You say that I'm pessimistic , yet here is one indisputably true statistic: The news blackout during the development of the "50th Anniversary" CD box set and CD "Commemorative" product has now gone on for 8 months. That is 3 months longer than the news blackout during the creation of the "Smile Sessions" box set.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Japanese release more remastered titles, and they bring us a stereo "Wild Honey" album, then my quest for Beach Boys archival CD product ends with that disc. As for whatever archival CD's or box set Capitol may someday offer in the U.S.A., I'm increasingly convinced that whatever we're going to have to go through to extract these releases from a reluctant Capitol Records, it just ain't worth it. And this post is from an avid fan, who has collected Beach Boys music for 44 years(including spending $2200 on Beach Boys bootleg CD's in the 1990's)

Now that Al Jardine says there is a collection called "50 Big Ones" coming out, consider your news blackout over.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:00:01 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

PhilCohen
« Reply #811 on: August 04, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Now that Al Jardine says their is a collection called "50 Big Ones" coming out, consider your news blackout over.

The disc listed on Amazon is a one-disc called "Greatest Hits". There's been no statement from Capitol, so, as for Capitol, their news blackout and "Wall of Secrecy" is still in effect.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 04, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Now that Al Jardine says their is a collection called "50 Big Ones" coming out, consider your news blackout over.

The disc listed on Amazon is a one-disc called "Greatest Hits". There's been no statement from Capitol, so, as for Capitol, their news blackout and "Wall of Secrecy" is still in effect.

It's called "Marketing" Phil.

PhilCohen
« Reply #813 on: August 04, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Poor marketing. Most record companies try to build up consumer interest for months before the release of a compilation, archival release or box set, but Capitol gives the fans stony silence.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 04, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Poor marketing. Most record companies try to build up consumer interest for months before the release of a compilation, archival release or box set, but Capitol gives the fans stony silence.
Right - Capitol has really screwed up by making The Smile Box set a huge success, "That's Why God Made the Radio" a top 10 album and the tour raking in millions.  Not to mention the DVD about to come out. 

Obviously, they haven't a clue!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 04, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Right - Capitol has really screwed up by making The Smile Box set a huge success, "That's Why God Made the Radio" a top 10 album and the tour raking in millions.  Not to mention the DVD about to come out. 

Phil is proved wrong time and time again. I think I speak for mostly everyone when I say: Phil, get a hobby...preferably one that doesn't include you being a sadist on a Beach Boys message board.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 04, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »

Amazon always lists items early, often times before any announcement has been made, and there are always errors in the title, number of discs, etc. That's on Amazon, not Capitol. As SurfRiderHawaii just pointed out, they sure must be doing something right with their marketing given how well they've done with recent items. Every record company and band has a temporary "wall of secrecy" surrounding new albums, compilations etc. because things are still tentative and in the works and making an announcement before things are set in concrete is foolish for a number of reasons, primarily because the final product will be different from the early product and promising the consumers something and then taking it back will piss people off. In comparison to a great deal of other labels and bands, Capitol and the Beach Boys are actually pretty damn good with letting on that something is happening and then having the results come within a year, often times even six months, and having the product be satisfying.

We'll hear more soon, so just sit tight.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #817 on: August 04, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »

Knock knock.
Who's there?

Phil is proved wrong time and time again. I think I speak for mostly everyone when I say: Phil, get a hobby...preferably one that doesn't include you being a sadist on a Beach Boys message board.

I'm no more sadistic than Andrew G.Doe........and I don't threaten arson against people's homes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #818 on: August 04, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

......in a more ideal world, we would have gotten deluxe expanded editions of individual 1960's albums: the stereo & mono versions, plus previously unreleased bonus tracks & attractive packaging and notes, on affordable U.S.A.-manufactured CD's, but it is not to be, because some mogul at a desk doesn't think that they will sell. Mark Linett is NOT to blame.  In the past, on at least one(possibly two) occasions, he offered to create such deluxe editions, but Capitol Records executives didn't want them. As for the fact that there is now a reunited Beach Boys that performs concert tours, does this make back catalogue Beach Boys albums more marketable? In Capitol's opinion, NO.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 04, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

I would like to point out, that whatever AGD and Phil's disagreements, they do both doubt that the remasters will make it to the U.S. or Europe.

Irksome as it might be for folks, we're just not getting them.

Edit: I was wrong!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:15:20 AM by Wirestone » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #820 on: August 04, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »

I would like to point out, that whatever AGD and Phil's disagreements, they do both doubt that the remasters will make it to the U.S. or Europe.

Mr.Doe & I have more in common than you would think. We're both in our mid-50's, and have been avid music collectors since early childhood. And we've seen a lot of changes in the music industry(and its attitudes towards the consumer) over the years, and changes to quality of the consumer's experiences in obtaining recorded music. There isn't any doubt: these experiences are more stressful, and not as much fun as they were in the music industry's heyday. What the industry has, in recent years become, is, more and more, sucking much of the joy out of the music collecting hobby. Believe it or not, there was a time when The Beach Boys released 3 albums per year, they were released on schedule, and the consumer would go to a local record shop/store and obtain them easily. We'd then take the record home and enjoy it that day. But the world has changed, and not neccessarily for the better.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 04, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

Mr.Doe & I have more in common than you would think. We're both in our mid-50's...

Finally, I think we're heading towards the stark truth - Andrew and Phil may be the same person. 

Is "Phil" really an outlet for AGD to make rash comments borne from the occasionally stifling weight of 50+ years of BB facts, figures and direct/indirect contact events piling up in his head?

Is "AGD" really an avenue for Phil to dodge his pessimism and reach out to share his considered and knowledgeable thoughts on our favourite band?

Has anyone ever seen them together in the same place, at the same time?

And as for the remasters non-release, C'est la vie - as has been said earlier, spend your money on the originally released vinyl, and hear things the way the band intended.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 04, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »

Certainly not as is and certainly not within the next couple months, at the very earliest. I don't understand how folks think these will never be released here until the end of time or something, especially when we have no official word stating either way.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 04, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

Amazon always lists items early, often times before any announcement has been made, and there are always errors in the title, number of discs, etc. That's on Amazon, not Capitol.

This is true.  Amazon listed McCartney's "Ram" deluxe as 1 disc for a long time.  Last year around this time when "The SMiLE Sessions" showed up for pre-order, Amazon put it up for $118.  The next day it jumped to $146.  The next day it was $172.  Also, $13.99 for a 2-CD best of doesn't seem that unheard of to me in this day and age.  Especially with the Beach Boys, who have about as many compilations as anybody.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »

My biggest concern about this whole thing is with the mixing.
I've spend a lot of time listening to TSS, and there's just something unpalatable about the mixing. The stereo mix of H&V for example just sounds...worse than the one on Hawthorne. And the stereo remixes on Summer Love Songs aren't really my favorites either.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx