gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:31:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gettin' Hungry Live In Hawaii - August 1967  (Read 6725 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »

Hope You Guys Like/Love It Smiley Viva la Beach Boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3Nzyg-ahQ
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »

Thanks. This was my first time hearing this song live.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

Never imagined that it could be that bad. I mean, it is splendid in its own way, but compare this to a fully arranged setlist containing H&V, GV, Wonderful, Surf's Up + some more smile like vegatables and windchimes maybe? + pet sounds highlights and some hits from Today/ Summer Days....

How many drugs did they take that summer? because it destroyed their reputation forever! Be ashamed Beach Boys!!!!

I still dig Smiley Smile thru to Love You though....
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

Was this the only time they played Gettin' Hungry live?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

Hope You Guys Like/Love It Smiley Viva la Beach Boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3Nzyg-ahQ

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Thanks! Wink
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

Didnt Mike Love + Celebration do that live + recorded  a studio version for 2nd lp..On another note i remember in late 70"s in a rock mag that the 1st name for Celebration was..Waves..!!.And article mentioned Al jardine was involved..I know Al was on Almost Summer + was on TV with Mike + Brian promoting it on Dick Clark"s show..It was weird seeing 3 out of 5 BB on TV calling themselves Celebration.!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »

Never imagined that it could be that bad. I mean, it is splendid in its own way, but compare this to a fully arranged setlist containing H&V, GV, Wonderful, Surf's Up + some more smile like vegatables and windchimes maybe? + pet sounds highlights and some hits from Today/ Summer Days....

How many drugs did they take that summer? because it destroyed their reputation forever! Be ashamed Beach Boys!!!!

wow looking at this makes me sad :[ they did ruin their reputation only if brian wasnt so weak.. he's a genius but he's so fragile.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »

this is the only time gettin hungry was played.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

wow looking at this makes me sad :[ they did ruin their reputation only if brian wasnt so weak.. he's a genius but he's so fragile.
Brian isn't weak, his true fight is with mental illness.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »

This and the second Hawaii concert, yes. It wasn't a very popular thing, for obvious reasons.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »

Yeah, this is about right. Mental illness isn't a weakness! Brian did what he had to do, and obviously made some terrible decisions. As did the group. As does everybody! He's no genius, just a hard working guy.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »

Yeah, this is about right. Mental illness isn't a weakness! Brian did what he had to do, and obviously made some terrible decisions. As did the group. As does everybody! He's no genius, just a hard working guy.
i wish he never had his mental breakdown..sheesh we could've had so much better music!!! Angry
don't get me wrong i like brian wilson but i love music.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

It must have been so weird to be in the audience at those Hawaii shows.  Brian's Trip

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

It must have been so weird to be in the audience at those Hawaii shows.  Brian's Trip
It would have been awesome to see Brian with the band doing H&V though.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

It would have been awesome to see Brian with the band doing H&V though.
True. Those two Hawaii shows were probably the very few, if only, times that the song was played with Brian. The fact that Brian actually took charge as the leader is a bonus.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »

While we on the subject on the Hawaii concerts, has anyone noticed that the organ part Brian plays durin Surfin' is what ended up being used as a vocal part on Do It Again?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »

While we on the subject on the Hawaii concerts, has anyone noticed that the organ part Brian plays durin Surfin' is what ended up being used as a vocal part on Do It Again?

Is that the riff that Brian ripped off from The Frogmen?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:31 AM »

Soon as I've perfected my time machine (and I'm getting close), I'll treat every member of this board to a trip back in time to this concert. We'll appreciate it, eh?

I just need funding, please PM me with bank details.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »

Soon as I've perfected my time machine (and I'm getting close), I'll treat every member of this board to a trip back in time to this concert. We'll appreciate it, eh?

Can we give Brian a copy of the SMiLE sessions and change history? Cool

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »

Can we give Brian a copy of the SMiLE sessions and change history? Cool

He might need a digital tape editor too.  Grin
I don't know how many times I thought about going back in time to help Brian finish Smile, but there's no way I could get past the front door. I probably couldn't even make it to California.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:31:54 AM by over and over » Logged

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

While its a song I'm not particularly fond of this is my favoured recording of Gettin' Hungry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyP4J4accU
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »

Is that the riff that Brian ripped off from The Frogmen?

Yes but with an asterisk and a footnote. Smiley

Here is the original record of "Underwater" by The Frogmen. Ignore the video, dig the tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVfPEiHctM

The riff in question is played by the guitar, and it only appears on one chorus of the 12-bar blues form of this song. Listen right at :44 and you'll hear it. And it's not as long of a phrase as Brian eventually played on organ in '67 and later sang for Do It Again, it's a more clipped guitar riff. The asterisk is that Brian definitely followed the melody, but it's not an exact rip-off if you want to get technical about it. But obviously this is the origin of the Do It Again hook, no doubt.

The footnote is that this record became a national hit...and it was released on the Candix label, that label of course familiar to Beach Boys fans.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

that could just be a coincidence.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »

that could just be a coincidence.

Geez, did I suggest it was anything else? Smiley It is an interesting coincidence that the same, semi-obscure label that became more known in Beach Boys' circles for releasing some of their earliest singles would have also released the Frogmen single being discussed on a BB's fan board.

Enjoy the record - back in the day I had to either 1. Find the original 45rpm or 2. find a record collector who had a copy and could dub it in order to hear the original. I found a co-worker who collected 45's and had a copy recorded on cassette after I asked him about The Frogmen. Thanks to the 'net, now it's instant gratification.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »

Well, you're well, you're welcome... LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx