gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:35:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is Al Jardine known as the 4th voice of the Beach Boys?  (Read 13587 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

Being a fan from 1980-1998 was a very difficult time and i wonder if i could have kept interest in the group during those years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

I love Al's voice and he's the closest texture to Brian Wilson that they had other than Brian himself. One thing that hasn't been brought up here is that Dennis was actually an equally or even more prominent vocalist than Al in the early days. He had more leads. And... Songs like Surfer Girl, Little Duece Coupe, Surfin USA do not feature Al's voice at all. Songs like In My Room, I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby do, but Dennis had the more prominent vocal part in those classics. In fact Al would often sing Dennis' studio part in the harmonies during the early concerts. Even on a later track like Kiss Me Baby its Dennis harmonizing with Brian on the chorus, not Carl or Al. I think every Beach Boys voice is essential, but I'd venture that Dennis is the one whose contributions as a singer are most overlooked and unrecognized, especially in the complex harmony blends. Somehow he got a reputation for not being that involved but it does not hold up under scrutiny of the sessions. Look at the credits on the Smile box, Dennis sings at least as much as any of the other Beach Boys. This is even more true on the '63 to '65 material...he's all over it. So maybe Al is the 5th voice if we're really breaking things down fairly. Again I think they all were essential, and each one got a chance to shine...Al has a fantastic voice...and one that is integral to the Beach Boys sound.
Paulos
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »

I love Al's voice and he's the closest texture to Brian Wilson that they had other than Brian himself. One thing that hasn't been brought up here is that Dennis was actually an equally or even more prominent vocalist than Al in the early days. He had more leads. And... Songs like Surfer Girl, Little Duece Coupe, Surfin USA do not feature Al's voice at all. Songs like In My Room, I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby do, but Dennis had the more prominent vocal part in those classics. In fact Al would often sing Dennis' studio part in the harmonies during the early concerts. Even on a later track like Kiss Me Baby its Dennis harmonizing with Brian on the chorus, not Carl or Al. I think every Beach Boys voice is essential, but I'd venture that Dennis is the one whose contributions as a singer are most overlooked and unrecognized, especially in the complex harmony blends. Somehow he got a reputation for not being that involved but it does not hold up under scrutiny of the sessions. Look at the credits on the Smile box, Dennis sings at least as much as any of the other Beach Boys. This is even more true on the '63 to '65 material...he's all over it. So maybe Al is the 5th voice if we're really breaking things down fairly. Again I think they all were essential, and each one got a chance to shine...Al has a fantastic voice...and one that is integral to the Beach Boys sound.

Regarding Al being on the studio In My Room, I thought it was Brian on the first line, Dennis joining in on the second, then Carl on the third with Mike coming in on the chorus?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

I think you have to look at Al's vocal standing in a different way than the others. If you want to count leads, he's 4th or 5th. ( I know Dennis has him beat early, but does Al catch up later. I've never counted, just wondering.)  But Al is extremely important for being to sing Brian's parts so well/effortlessly and how important that was to the BB.  I know songs like WIBN, Heroes, You're So Good to Me, Surfer Girl, You Still Believe, Sloop, DWB etc.  are Brian leads on record ( and there are others where Al sings Brian's key harmony parts)  but more people have heard Al sing them live and he's sung them live more than Brian has.
I'm interested to see how they will deal with this in the upcoming "celebration" shows as far as assigning parts and Al's leads. Will Brian sort of take Carl's parts and Al take some of Brian's parts that he's sung so many times?  Interesting for sure to see.
Not trying to give Al more or less credit but it's an important point as far as analyzing his voice.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

Hell, the Beach Boys whole status has shifted radically since I can recall being humiliated as a youngster in 1980 by advocating for the Beach Boys as artists and my teacher looking at me whitheringly and saying with dripping condecension:  "I don't think the Beach Boys were ever meant to be a deep group."

I kind of like how over time, the "big picture" grows more complete even to the casual observer.

Sheesh, I've had to fend for the Beach Boys among my classmates and friends, but never against a teacher.  That really must have gotten you upset. I know I would have been.  People who aren't exposed just don't get it...but fortunately the situation you experienced in the 80's isn't the situation today.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 03:42:33 PM »

Regarding Al being on the studio In My Room, I thought it was Brian on the first line, Dennis joining in on the second, then Carl on the third with Mike coming in on the chorus?
Brian first line, Carl second line, Dennis third line...Mike and Al come in on the chorus. David plays guitar on the track so IMR is one of a handful of Beach Boys early classics with six Beach Boys on it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:43:59 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »

The early six Beach Boys lineup would have been amazing in the long run  if they had stayed in that configuration.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:17:11 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paulos
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »

Brian first line, Carl second line, Dennis third line...Mike and Al come in on the chorus. David plays guitar on the track so IMR is one of a handful of Beach Boys early classics with six Beach Boys on it.

Thanks for the clarification Jon, until today I had no idea that all 6 original Beach Boys were on one of my favourite songs.
Bill Ed
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »

Al is a Jardine, not a Wilson. I think this accounts for his not having had more lead vocals. Wasn't he a salaried "member" of the group until some time in the '70's? 

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 01:55:48 AM »

I think Jon's absolutely right that Dennis was a big secret weapon in the harmony blend.  I've made this same point to anyone who'll listen for a long time...it's the rougher textured voice that really gives a harmony band "width" (Chris Squire does the same role in Yes, and Huey Lewis in the News, to name a few other examples).  Dennis makes a lot of the early records, particularly around '64 when he really started to tighten up as a vocalist.

In terms of prominence though, and why things are perceived the way they are from a vocal standpoint, I think you have to go to who sings on the hits.  Dennis is dead last there (except Bruce), both on record and onstage.  He had the one hit vocal and then I believe the next closest thing you have is "Forever."  Even harder on the perception is that he only occasionally sang live except for the early '70s period.  I think that's a lot of the reason people glommed onto the idea that he didn't sing on the records.  It's that stupid intuitive thing that people go to.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:56:52 AM by adamghost » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »

It has always irked me that the only Beach Boys to write a hit without Brian are Mike, Al, and Bruce. Although, Kokamo might be a stretch since most of the song was already written when Mike came up with the hook.

But it really sucks that Dennis and Carl never wrote a big hit! And their songs were much better! Although, there are claims that Dennis was part of the creative force behind You Are So Beautiful.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »

It has always irked me that the only Beach Boys to write a hit without Brian are Mike, Al, and Bruce. Although, Kokamo might be a stretch since most of the song was already written when Mike came up with the hook.

But it really sucks that Dennis and Carl never wrote a big hit! And their songs were much better! Although, there are claims that Dennis was part of the creative force behind You Are So Beautiful.
Dennis wrote an entire hit album. (POB Legacy #16 UK)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »

Although, there are claims that Dennis was part of the creative force behind You Are So Beautiful.
Can't believe Jon didn't tackle this one too. I'll just quote from Jon's website:

“Billy Hinsche emailed me a while back just to remind me that although my written account of the Dennis/Preston connection was accurate I should remember that Preston's status in no way deserves any degradation because of it. I agree, and would not expect any changes in the "You Are So Beautiful" author credit. The simple truth is yeah Hinsche and a couple others (not Roach by the way)remember Dennis helping Preston finish the song one hazy night long ago. But there is nothing out of the ordinary here. Musicians cross pollinate, help each other, and jam into the night constantly. Credit usually goes to the person who initiates a composition even if he is influenced and assisted by others to it's completion. The point is that Dennis loved the song, and felt it was a part of him. He sang it to thousands upon thousands in concert. When he mentioned to some folks that he had helped out in it's creation many people laughed him off. Billy Hinsche knows different and had the courage to go on the record with his recollection. He NEVER said Preston should give up a share of the credit. He just told a story about a night when one of his friends had a great new song he played for the pleasure of a few partying dudes, and how another of his friends sat down and helped him finish it...and then fell in love with it forever. I think if Dennis had believed he had somehow missed out he would have gone after the credit himself. That wasn't his style. Let Billy P. have it, Dennis made it his own anyway.” * * * * “Billy Hinsche went on the record with me for my book stating that he witnessed Dennis helping Billy Preston write You Are So Beautiful. Hinsche also repeated this claim for the Endless Harmony interview he taped but that was left out of the documentary. If anyone has a problem with this You Are So Beautiful thing they need to take it up with Billy H. He was there.

By the way. It came to my attention prior to my interview with Billy that many of Dennis' friends believed he had a hand in writing this tune. Dennis mentioned it offhand to more than a few people over the years. When I heard this I had the same reaction that many still do, "Oh that's just Dennis telling one of his whoppers." But BB's engineer Tom Murphy said to me, "Listen to the chord changes in that song, it's just like so many of DW's songs. How many Billy Preston tunes have changes like that?" I though about it and asked a few more people. I thought maybe, just maybe they were hanging out getting high and Dennis showed Preston how to finish a tune he was working on. Of course Dennis would never care about the credit. That's like Dennis too. Then Billy Hinsche confirmed it when I asked him about it. He was very clear on this. Not that Dennis wrote the song, but that he helped Preston finish the song. Magical is how he described the collaboration. I totally believe him.”

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

Dennis wrote an entire hit album. (POB Legacy #16 UK)

Well, that's true. I was thinking #1 hit singles such as Kokamo, Lady Lynda and I Write the Songs.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »

What is it about him and/or his voice that puts him so far down below Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson?

COMMENT:  Why all the politically based answers or popularity contest based answers?

The Question was, "Why is Al Jardine known as the 4th voice of the Beach Boys?"

The Answer is because in four-part harmony, Alan sang the fourth part in many songs.
  ~swd
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 05:13:54 AM »

isn't it just cause he only sang one "classic" beach boys song? 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »

Isn't it cos he's the shortest?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »

To me it is very easy. I absolutely LOVE Al's vocals, more as he has aged.  But the truth is that his band featured three of the most distinctive vocalists (and Carl became even more distinctive as he aged) in rock music.  Al wasn't one of them.  Not worse, just not as  distinctive or as immediately recognizable to any casual  listener as Brian, Mike and Carl. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »

LOL LOL Smokin

and because he's a dentist.  Wink

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »

It's amazing to listen to I Know There's an Answer and Be Here in the Morning. It's hard to tell when its Al and Brian, unless you've listened a million times. Smiley

Its common knowledge that Al sings Help Me Rhonda and Brian sings Wouldn't it Be Nice, but if you know nothing about the BBs, it could easily be the same singer!

Yeah, Al can do Brian spot-on with Wouldn't It Be Nice.  In some ways, he can do Brian better than Brian can these days! 
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »

I love Al's voice, and it is really easy for me to pick him out... Well, not in the stack, though. He is fun to emulate, with his vibrato and twangy attack. Singing along with Isn't it Time, I immediately switch to Al's country-ish delivery for the "Ev-ery time I think of you, and alla those things we USED to do-ooh"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »

I think the idea of Al as the "fourth voice" comes from the historical beginnings of the group...Brian, Carl, and Mike harmonizing together on Bri's Four Freshman arrangements, but they only had three voices since Denny wasn't serious about singing yet (sure, maybe Audree or Mike's sister would sometimes join them, but they really wanted another guy).  So in college Brian ran into Al again, and when they started singing together, Brian now had his all-important fourth male voice, and they could sing "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" to their hearts' content.  That's all I think it means.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »

I think of Al's voice as having a "bright" timbre.  It also has the right tenor sound that was missing from the Mike/Brian/Carl blend in 62 and early 63.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »

In regards to Al having a diverse voice. Until recently I've always heard the lead on Vega-Tables as Brian. Even though it clearly states in the TSS booklet that it's Al. I just couldn't help but picture it as Brian. Now I hear Al. Same goes for I Know There's An Answer. I never read vocal credits and always thought it was Mike doing the lead throughout. Nope, just on the first verse. So while in the end while he may be the one that sang lead on Help Me Rhonda! His contributions are essential.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx