gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:11:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is This New? Memphis Tennessee 1996  (Read 5827 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »

I don't recall ever coming across this before, searches turn up nothing but Japanese links from 2012:

http://www.giginjapan.com/beach-boys-the-memphis-tennessee-paradise/

Not particularly a period in the bands career I'm interested in but I've become compulsive about soundboards.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

I don't see no link on that site. Maybe someone should pm me and I will try everything I can to get that bad, bad site offline.....  police

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »

very good recording.....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

how is that accessed Huh
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »

he he he...  Grin

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »

Downloaded this last week and it's a good enough recording but the performances are unusual: most songs sped up...completely losing the groove on most of them.  Carl is in fine voice with a wonderful version of "I Can Hear Music"...clear as a bell...just splendid. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

what about SOS?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »

Yup he's great on SOS too but I see "I Can Hear Music" as a tougher song to sing...a much higher key with Carl reaching to almost the roof of his range...so it was great to hear how well he sang it on a very clear sounding recording. 
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »

This also has an excellent version of "Little Honda", which I think is a concert rarity for the Beach Boys... although I have heard it performed by Mike's band in recent years. There's also a Memphis show from the same year, with the exact same setlist.
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

That Memphis Show is interesting because the instruments, especially Drums, are really low, so sometimes it's almost like an acapella concert. Man, could Matt Jardine wail on those leads (Don't worry baby, Warmth of the sun)!

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »

Once again my stuff is in storage but id swear i have that show on boot video ..Does anybody here know anything about that.?. Its a video that is filmed close to the stage and some of the shots are from the big screen in back. Or am i just having a senior moment.?CW is on the far left of stage..
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:45 AM »

Sure wish I had cd"s of this show,,Or the last time i saw BB with Carl,..Hot August nites.August1997 Reno Nevada.. Carl said  How much he liked singin ICHM..SOS...Weird thing is.No amps on stage.Guitar solo"s pre recorded..He didnt play the solo"s..He looked like he weighed 275 lbs...No beard.Hair very Fuzzy..He didnt sit untill Encore..He was very positive..ALIVE+ Happy..!soundboard  guy told me he was healthy..I thought with cancer fat was healthy.Guess sound guy was wrong.! GOD bless CW.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »

Sure wish I had cd"s of this show,,Or the last time i saw BB with Carl,..Hot August nites.August1997 Reno Nevada.. Carl said  How much he liked singin ICHM..SOS...Weird thing is.No amps on stage.Guitar solo"s pre recorded..He didnt play the solo"s..He looked like he weighed 275 lbs...No beard.Hair very Fuzzy..He didnt sit untill Encore..He was very positive..ALIVE+ Happy..!soundboard  guy told me he was healthy..I thought with cancer fat was healthy.Guess sound guy was wrong.! GOD bless CW.
He had no beard? Wow. That's the first time I've ever read that he lost his beard during that time. It was probably the chemo(sp?). I still wonder if there are any audience videos from 1997 with him. It doesn't seem like any have circulated.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »

Downloaded this last week and it's a good enough recording but the performances are unusual: most songs sped up..

What I hate about 90s Beach Boys and I can't understand Carl let it happen is the fast tempo of the intro to California Girls. The song itself is slower than the intro. It sounds terrible. I'm glad non of the Beach Boys Bands today play it that way

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 06:26:28 AM »

He had no beard? Wow. That's the first time I've ever read that he lost his beard during that time. It was probably the chemo(sp?). I still wonder if there are any audience videos from 1997 with him. It doesn't seem like any have circulated.

Yes, I've looked long and hard for videos of Carl's last appearances. If they exist they're not on the web.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »

Downloaded this last week and it's a good enough recording but the performances are unusual: most songs sped up..

What I hate about 90s Beach Boys and I can't understand Carl let it happen is the fast tempo of the intro to California Girls. The song itself is slower than the intro. It sounds terrible. I'm glad non of the Beach Boys Bands today play it that way

Yup Rocker, that's probably when I first noticed the issue.  Speeding up the songs don't serve the songs very well at all....except maybe the "heavier" songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" or "Surfin USA."  But not the ones that are heavy on melody.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

Yes, I've looked long and hard for videos of Carl's last appearances. If they exist they're not on the web.
The only footage I've ever seen of a Beach Boys show with Carl in 1997 is this quick few seconds here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaZVi5TZ-8 I think you can just barely see him on the far right behind Mike.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »

I saw BB Reno Nevada August 1997..I bought a ticket and i was more than half way back.Concert started so i started hangin in the walk aisle near soundboard..Got thrown out twice in 20 minutes.Some guy walks up to me + says give me 20.00 bucks + you can sit next to me..WELL. I was in the 1st 20 rows..Now the concert costs me 70-80 bucks.NO problem..I got a real close look at CW..No beard..Looked like wig on his head..At least 275 lbs or more..And he looked totally healthy + happy..!! Same old Carl workin his way back to good health,.Ive known people who died of cancer..That loose weight + waste away..CW didnt look like that.He looked like he should be on a diet..I was so HAPPY to see he was gonna survive..Soundboard guy talked to me + it was ALL Positive..,I bought couple of tshirts and walked away + drove to Vancouver thinkin CW was gonna live.When i went to Thousand Oaks show couple months later.He wasnt there.And he died a couple months later..IMHO..Please dont attack me....I think he shouldnt have toured stayed home + chilled and got well..Once he got sick..Take care off your body + soul..But he didnt..WHY..? I dont know.Maybe he knew something +he didnt tell anyone else but his wife.ALAN has stated in a couple of interviews in Goldmine.Al was shocked when he died.!.Im only reporting what i saw + what soundboard guy told me.. In fact from the boot videos i have.CW looks sick in 1995 and before even..Once his hair gets fuzzy + thin i kinda wonder.. And there was NO amps on stage anywhere..Soundboard stage left.Guitar solo"s pre recorded..CW sat a couple of times but not that much..He sang ICHM + SOS..Then sat. Then sat beginning of encore then got up at end..The dude sang like a little bird in a tree..Soulful + Sweet..He was there to the end..GOD bless CW..! I miss you..Paul
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

Can someone else confirm this "no amps on stage"/"guitar solos pre-recorded" thing? Mr. Wilson's stories are the first I've ever heard of that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »

I've also read about the pre-recorded guitar solo's. Maybe it was done to help Carl out?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »

I saw BB Reno Nevada August 1997..I bought a ticket and i was more than half way back.Concert started so i started hangin in the walk aisle near soundboard..Got thrown out twice in 20 minutes.Some guy walks up to me + says give me 20.00 bucks + you can sit next to me..WELL. I was in the 1st 20 rows..Now the concert costs me 70-80 bucks.NO problem..I got a real close look at CW..No beard..Looked like wig on his head..At least 275 lbs or more..And he looked totally healthy + happy..!! Same old Carl workin his way back to good health,.Ive known people who died of cancer..That loose weight + waste away..CW didnt look like that.He looked like he should be on a diet..I was so HAPPY to see he was gonna survive..Soundboard guy talked to me + it was ALL Positive..,I bought couple of tshirts and walked away + drove to Vancouver thinkin CW was gonna live.When i went to Thousand Oaks show couple months later.He wasnt there.And he died a couple months later..IMHO..Please dont attack me....I think he shouldnt have toured stayed home + chilled and got well..Once he got sick..Take care off your body + soul..But he didnt..WHY..? I dont know.Maybe he knew something +he didnt tell anyone else but his wife.ALAN has stated in a couple of interviews in Goldmine.Al was shocked when he died.!.Im only reporting what i saw + what soundboard guy told me.. In fact from the boot videos i have.CW looks sick in 1995 and before even..Once his hair gets fuzzy + thin i kinda wonder.. And there was NO amps on stage anywhere..Soundboard stage left.Guitar solo"s pre recorded..CW sat a couple of times but not that much..He sang ICHM + SOS..Then sat. Then sat beginning of encore then got up at end..The dude sang like a little bird in a tree..Soulful + Sweet..He was there to the end..GOD bless CW..! I miss you..Paul
I've seen one picture of Carl in concert in 1997 where it looked like his beard was a wig.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »

After listening to this there's just one thin I can say: wow, I didn't realize how bored and out of shape they did sound ! Of course there are the obvious high points like Matt Jardine's leads or Carl on "Sail on sailor" but all in all they sound used up and like no one really wanted to be there. Every Beach Boy - including Carl - sounds like he just got out of bed and didn't even warm up. Mike's voice is ultra nasal, Al's cracks up (much more than nowadays). The band sounds lame and mostly uninspired and the sound effects and synthetic strings/horns are just terrible (back then they probably were up-to-date). As I said there are some really high points but all three Beach Boy bands we have today sound so much better than this band. And each of the boys sounds better as well (not sure about Bruce).

Anyway, if someone hasn't seen it yet, these two appearances were mentioned:

Little Deuce Coupse on Letterman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePoS9ve7UI

On Regis and Kathie Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySCOM9UeOE

I hope this year will also bring appearances on Letterman, etc.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

After listening to this there's just one thin I can say: wow, I didn't realize how bored and out of shape they did sound ! Of course there are the obvious high points like Matt Jardine's leads or Carl on "Sail on sailor" but all in all they sound used up and like no one really wanted to be there. Every Beach Boy - including Carl - sounds like he just got out of bed and didn't even warm up. Mike's voice is ultra nasal, Al's cracks up (much more than nowadays). The band sounds lame and mostly uninspired and the sound effects and synthetic strings/horns are just terrible (back then they probably were up-to-date). As I said there are some really high points but all three Beach Boy bands we have today sound so much better than this band. And each of the boys sounds better as well (not sure about Bruce).

Anyway, if someone hasn't seen it yet, these two appearances were mentioned:

Little Deuce Coupse on Letterman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePoS9ve7UI

On Regis and Kathie Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySCOM9UeOE

I hope this year will also bring appearances on Letterman, etc.

Thanks, Rocker - I really enjoyed that Kathie Lee and "what's his name?" clip...

And, I enjoy Stars and Stripes..."Leaning" Carl looked so tired...but, gave it his all for those two numbers...

Thanks, again!  Wink
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

Last time I saw the band with Carl was August 3 or 4 1997 at the Glen Helen pavilion just outside of LA.  Long story I won't go into, but I actually rode into the venue on the Beach Boys' bus, just across the aisle (3 feet?) from Carl and Gina sitting next to me. The entire band except for Mike was on the bus. Mike had arrived separately with Elliott Lott. Chatted with Carl VERY briefly, much more briefly than in past years, but he seemed in good spirits.  I will say that Gina was in exceptionally good spirits, joking and laughing.  Carl was obviously uncomfortable and very bloated from the chemo treatment.  He did in fact have his beard at that time. He stood for California Girls, then sat.  He then stood for SOS and GOK, but sat the rest of the show.  His doctors from UCLA were at the show and Carl acknowledged and thanked them for "saving my life" just before launching into GOK. Being LA, there were many backstage that night within the BB extended family, and the word was indeed that he was going to make it.  As always, he sounded amazing.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:15:38 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

Last time I saw the band with Carl was August 3 or 4 1997 at the Glen Helen pavilion just outside of LA.  Long story I won't go into, but I actually rode into the venue on the Beach Boys' bus, just across the aisle (3 feet?) from Carl and Gina sitting next to me. The entire band except for Mike was on the bus. Mike had arrived separately with Elliott Lott. Chatted with Carl VERY briefly, much more briefly than in past years, but he seemed in good spirits.  I will say that Gina was in exceptionally good spirits, joking and laughing.  Carl was obviously uncomfortable and very bloated from the chemo treatment.  He did in fact have his beard at that time. He stood for California Girls, then sat.  He then stood for SOS and GOK, but sat the rest of the show.  His doctors from UCLA were at the show and Carl acknowledged and thanked them for "saving my life" just before launching into GOK. Being LA, there were many backstage that night within the BB extended family, and the word was indeed that he was going to make it.  As always, he sounded amazing.  

Thanks for that...Would that they had been correct about Carl's condition...saw him June, '97 and just had that sinking feeling...Carl was on a stool and the concert had the slow motion feeling of a "78 rpm being played at 33 rpm" while the audience held its collective breath...Clearly the shows were tailored to his physical requirements at the time...

What a privilege that he was amongst us...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx