gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:22:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Top 10 Greatest Bands Of All Time :)  (Read 37498 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »

At the moment my list would go like this:

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. Genesis
4. Neutral Milk Hotel
5. King Crimson
6. Daniel Johnston
7. The Doors
8. Pink Floyd
9. The Residents
10. Frank Zappa
11. David Bowie
12. The Who
13. Led Zeppelin
14. Iron Maiden
15. Yes
16. Jethro Tull

That's all I got.

A discipline daddy.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »

1. Bob Dylan
2. Tom Waits
3. David Bowie
4. Elvis Presley
5. Leonard Cohen
6. Neil Young
7. Joni Mitchell
8. Paul McCartney
9. Frank Zappa
10. Michael Nesmith

Just some personal faves, as always, subject to change.

Nice to see another Mike Nesmith fan here!!  He'd be on my list too.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »

Nice to see another Mike Nesmith fan here!!  He'd be on my list too.

Papa Nez has been and still is an undisputed renaissance man producing brilliant songs with The Monkees and of course The First National Band which is an important player in creating the country rock genre. Magnetic South, Loose Salute and Nevada Fighter are all incredible albums.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

Have any of you heard this song before?(I'm sure some of you have.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKTZhyY5-VM
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »

HELL YES.

A discipline daddy.
Jason
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »

This ain't Wishbone Ash! Get the hell outta here!  LOL
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »

HELL YES.
Classic or flop? Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

I would just like to throw in that Sweetheart of the Rodeo is not the first ever country rock album. It's a rock band playing straight country music - there is a difference. Only the last Dylan cover sounds remotely rockish. I do think if the original Byrds lineup had stuck together they would have been the best group of the 60's, that's right, even better than The Beach Boys!!
better than the beach boys? wow thats crazy...i think if the zombies would've stuck 2gether and released more albums they would be top 5 of all time in everybody's eyes.

All subjective to taste I guess, but consider - Notorious Byrd Brothers is probably the best psychedelic album ever. The album before that Younger Than Yesterday is also fantastic. Now imagine if Gene Clark had never left after the second album, what he could have added to two already classic records. If you haven't checked out his solo stuff I strongly urge you to do so. He's easily the best songwriter who never 'made it', up there with Dylan as a composer.
Then factor in what Crosby wrote with CS&N after he left, if they had been Byrd songs. Chris Hillman wasn't too shabby a songwriter either. Throw all that into the melting pot, factor in that the sum total would be greater than the individual parts, and yes, I don't believe I made too outlandish a statement in saying that they could have surpassed the Beach Boys.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

I would just like to throw in that Sweetheart of the Rodeo is not the first ever country rock album. It's a rock band playing straight country music - there is a difference. Only the last Dylan cover sounds remotely rockish. I do think if the original Byrds lineup had stuck together they would have been the best group of the 60's, that's right, even better than The Beach Boys!!
better than the beach boys? wow thats crazy...i think if the zombies would've stuck 2gether and released more albums they would be top 5 of all time in everybody's eyes.

All subjective to taste I guess, but consider - Notorious Byrd Brothers is probably the best psychedelic album ever. The album before that Younger Than Yesterday is also fantastic. Now imagine if Gene Clark had never left after the second album, what he could have added to two already classic records. If you haven't checked out his solo stuff I strongly urge you to do so. He's easily the best songwriter who never 'made it', up there with Dylan as a composer.
Then factor in what Crosby wrote with CS&N after he left, if they had been Byrd songs. Chris Hillman wasn't too shabby a songwriter either. Throw all that into the melting pot, factor in that the sum total would be greater than the individual parts, and yes, I don't believe I made too outlandish a statement in saying that they could have surpassed the Beach Boys.
Your right, the 5 Byrds at their best were truly a force in the music industry. The Byrds are my 2nd favorite band after the BBs because of the awesome albums the original group made.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

He's not wrong, especially with regards to Gene Clark. The man was such a gifted songwriter. And to be undone by Tom Petty is no way to go out.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »

He's not wrong, especially with regards to Gene Clark. The man was such a gifted songwriter. And to be undone by Tom Petty is no way to go out.
Gene was such a fragile soul from what I read in "timeless flight"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

Prince (if you ignore the 90's stuff...)

Disagree here. To me that's a little bit like putting down Beach Boys surf (or post-Pet Sounds) music, '70s Elvis, post-Beatles Macca, etc. The popular consensus might be that he was done--and what went from consistently great certainly became less so--but there are a lot of great things Prince did in the '90s. They were just different than what he had been doing before. Really, though, from Thieves in the Temple, Diamonds and Pearls, Get off, Cream, Sexy MF, 7, and a number of others, there are some cool things going on. Just a lot of drama and filler mixed in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »

Disagree here. To me that's a little bit like putting down Beach Boys surf (or post-Pet Sounds) music, '70s Elvis, post-Beatles Macca, etc. The popular consensus might be that he was done--and what went from consistently great certainly became less so--but there are a lot of great things Prince did in the '90s. They were just different than what he had been doing before. Really, though, from Thieves in the Temple, Diamonds and Pearls, Get off, Cream, Sexy MF, 7, and a number of others, there are some cool things going on. Just a lot of drama and filler mixed in.
thieves in the temple? yikes :/ ..horrid.
diamond and pearls? i forgot about this gem Smiley lol niceeee..
get off? corny hip-hop influenced sh*t.
sexy mf? sounds more like a james brown song smh.
7? is a really good song Smiley

These are my examples of his good 90's work.
Money Don't Matter 2 Night*
Goodbye
Damn U
Come
Let's Have A Baby
Shoo-bed-Ooh

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »

Should I apologize, then, or what?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

Should I apologize, then, or what?

Forgive them, Captain. They know not what they do.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 05:09:06 AM »

I know it's a blanket statement, and certainly the consensus. I just find those albums harder to listen to than, IDK, Parade or Around the World, or even stuff like For You. I am fond of 3121, in some respects (Black Sweat is the obvious choice, but it's so amazing and should have been HUGE), and some of the other 21st century efforts. His prolific nature doesn't help in digesting them, you have to admit, I never know which one to start with! I'll check them out, though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »

I know it's a blanket statement, and certainly the consensus. I just find those albums harder to listen to than, IDK, Parade or Around the World, or even stuff like For You. I am fond of 3121, in some respects (Black Sweat is the obvious choice, but it's so amazing and should have been HUGE), and some of the other 21st century efforts. His prolific nature doesn't help in digesting them, you have to admit, I never know which one to start with! I'll check them out, though.
parade and around the world are both good albums Smiley around the world is my 2nd favorite right after "purple rain"
i'm not 2 fond of 3121 it's like prince was trying so hard 2 sound "black" and see how big he can get with an r&b album smhhhhh..it didnt have that natural feel that most of his albums have.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »

1. The Shaggs
2. The Velvet Underground
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Stooges
5. ABBA
6. The Who
7. Queen
8. The Kinks
9. Funkadelic
10. Sex Pistols

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »

1. The Shaggs
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Stooges
5. ABBA
6. The Who
7. Queen
8. The Kinks
9. Funkadelic
10. Sex Pistols

f*** me, how on earth did I forget The Mothership! Parliament and Funkadelic were a massive part of my formative years. Think I'm going to spin The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein now, brb.

Have you heard 'A Blow For Me, A Toot for You' by Fred Wesley and The Horny Horns, perchance? Serious Clinton involvement therein. It's great.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

In a lot of ways you're right, of course. And part of me is always just trying to be difficult. But dismissing some of those things like the D&P or symbol albums, for example, is just silly. Those were albums with hits. And for whatever else we're going to talk about, hits count. Popular matters. A record is good if it is enjoyed (because what the f*** else do you think most people are doing?). There are other metrics, obviously. But let's not discount the big one, you know? Hit singles are hit singles. You can dismiss them as too this or too that or chasing such-and-such fad, but if it's a hit...

Whether he knows it or not--or agrees with it or not, actually--I think Ian taught me that. Which is weird.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »

1. The Shaggs
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Stooges
5. ABBA
6. The Who
7. Queen
8. The Kinks
9. Funkadelic
10. Sex Pistols

f*ck me, how on earth did I forget The Mothership! Parliament and Funkadelic were a massive part of my formative years. Think I'm going to spin The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein now, brb.

Have you heard 'A Blow For Me, A Toot for You' by Fred Wesley and The Horny Horns, perchance? Serious Clinton involvement therein. It's great.
Do you listen to old school motown? The backing tracks and singing from groups like the "four tops" made by Holland/Dozier/ Holland are amazing.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

Whether he knows it or not--or agrees with it or not, actually--I think Ian taught me that. Which is weird.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

Damn straight I have, and it is quite an album indeed, you are right.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »

1. The Shaggs
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Stooges
5. ABBA
6. The Who
7. Queen
8. The Kinks
9. Funkadelic
10. Sex Pistols

f*ck me, how on earth did I forget The Mothership! Parliament and Funkadelic were a massive part of my formative years. Think I'm going to spin The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein now, brb.

Do you listen to old school motown? The backing tracks and singing from groups like the "four tops" made by Holland/Dozier/ Holland are amazing.
The temptations & the miracles Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 03:50:14 AM »

Oh, you bet! Love it. Every single bit. Smokey Robinson is the pinnacle, in my eyes.

Damn straight I have, and it is quite an album indeed, you are right.

Another one to dig out today - I am lucky in that my dad gave me all his old P-Funk albums.... If I have time, will have to get out some Bootsy too.

Luther - whilst you're obviously right, I was but a nipper when those songs were hits, so that context isn't really as clear. I also listened to Graffiti Bridge quite early on in my discovery of Prince, and that kinda slowed my roll on getting into his later material - talk about patchy, imo. Listened to Come yesterday, but I wasn't particularly enamoured with the production for some reason.... Nevertheless, I will make some time for Prince.

And all this talk of Prince makes me want to find the Sign O' The Times concert film again. That reduces me to a gibbering wreck of happiness.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx