gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:56:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Top 10 Greatest Bands Of All Time :)  (Read 37171 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies
10. To be honest those are the only bands i listen to all the time so There is no 10 for me Tongue lol

You should try some Bob Dylan too.  Check out his albums Time Out of Mind or Modern Times!

Smokin
he's an amazing wordsmith i just can't get past his horrid voice it makes me shiverrrrrrrr lol
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies
10. To be honest those are the only bands i listen to all the time so There is no 10 for me Tongue lol

You should try some Bob Dylan too.  Check out his albums Time Out of Mind or Modern Times!

Smokin
he's an amazing wordsmith i just can't get past his horrid voice it makes me shiverrrrrrrr lol

Jesus NewGuy - get the Other Side of the Mirror (Bob Dylan live at Newport) DVD - his duet with Joan Baez singing 'With God On Our Side' is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

And no offense, but half your posts piss me the hell off.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

Smokin

Jesus NewGuy - get the Other Side of the Mirror (Bob Dylan live at Newport) DVD - his duet with Joan Baez singing 'With God On Our Side' is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

i'll check them out right now Smiley
lol why?
Jason
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »

No, these are the Top 10 Greatest Bands of All Time -

1. The Beach Boys
2. The Moody Blues
3. Os Mutantes
4. The Doors
5. Pink Floyd
6. The Who
7. Bee Gees
8. The Velvet Underground
9. Weezer
10. Galaxie 500
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »

I like the later ones, as they slot into the Laurel Canyon style music that I'm digging presently.

Yeeeeaahhh!! I went through that last year. It was helped by that boxset Where the Action Is.

Man, that boxset is insane. I love it. I've been reading a Barney Hoskyns book about the scene (Hotel California, which seems to posit all was cool until David Crosby stopped sharing his cocaine and The Eagles showed up) too and connecting the dots - Judee Sill, Joni, The Byrds and assorted branches, Little Feat, Randy Newman, VDP....So much good stuff. Although I'm worried it'll get me listening to The Eagles.  LOL

It's fantastic. For some reason though when my iPod is on random, that one with the bagpipes always comes on. It was cool at first but now I'm a bit mcpissed.

And that's funny because the boxset also made me reconsider my hate for The Eagles. But that passed.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

Too FM Radio for me in spots, I'm afraid. Apart from a few songs, not a fan of The Doors, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd save the Syd Barrett era and while I do love the Stones, I wouldn't put them ahead of The Kinks or The Who or several other bands for that matter.
what order would u put it in? Smiley

Well, I am wary about making a list that I would call the greatest but I can make a list of personal favourites, but I would have to add solo artists. This is by no means permanent but it is something like this:

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. Neil Young
4. The Kinks
5. Bob Dylan
6. The Band
7. The Who
8. Oasis
9. Stevie Wonder
10. Simon & Garfunkel
11. The Monkees
12. The Rolling Stones
13. Marvin Gaye
14. Otis Redding
15. Randy Newman
16. Harry Nilsson
17. Rheostatics
18. The Zombies
19. The Small Faces
20. Pulp

A bit gender partial but what can you do.

I also disagree with your point that "if the zombies would've stick 2gether and realesed more albums they would be top 5 of all time in everybody's eyes." Honestly, by the time they broke up it was 1968 and there weren't many bands that started producing records in the early 60s who held on to make great records after the 60s were over. Like almost everyone else, they would have been pressured to keep up with the times, or change their sound and something would have been inevitably lost, surely.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »

1. The Beach Boys
2. The Ramones
3. The Beatles
4. Rolling Stones
5. The Moody Blues
6. The Velvet Underground
7. The Kinks
8. Pink Floyd
9. The Who
9. The Bee Gees
10. The Grateful Dead

Runner-up: Fairport Convention

(next 10)

11. Black Sabbath
12. AC/DC
13  Zappa: Mothers
14. The Clash
15. Radiohead
16. The Byrds
17. The Doors
18. Zeppelin
19. Small Faces
20. Buddy Holly/Crickets
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:44:53 PM by Erik H » Logged
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »

1. The Beach Boys
2. The Beatles
3. The Byrds
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Who
6. The Band
7. The Doors
8. Pink Floyd
9. Led Zeppelin
10. The Grateful Dead

I think Steely Dan, The Ramones and The Stooges get honorable mention

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:12:54 PM by CaliforniaSlide » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

it's like we all  have similar taste as far as rock goes Smiley but what about top 3 solo artists?
1. Marvin Gaye
2. Prince
3. Michael Jackson
4. Elvis
5. Chuck berry
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:21:08 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

Solo artists?

1. Chuck Berry
2. Elvis
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Neil Young
5. James Brown
6. Bowie
7. John Cale
8. Lou Reed
9. Peter Gabriel
10. Kate Bush
Jason
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »

Solo artists -

1. Frank Sinatra
2. Elvis Presley
3. Serge Gainsbourg
4. Tom Waits
5. James Brown
6. Leonard Cohen
7. Johnny Cash
8. Bob Dylan
9. Prince
10. David Bowie
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:12:13 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »

Combining bands and solo artists, since those are largely artificial differences anyway. The list sort of averages my thoughts with respect to pinnacle of product (counts for a lot) and average quality of product (avoiding sh*t counts for something). Obviously all filtered through my taste, because why the f*** would I bother ranking what someone else thinks?

1. Beatles
2. Beach Boys
3. Bob Dylan
4. The Velvet Underground
5. Frank Zappa/Mothers
6. Tom Waits
7. Queen
8. Led Zeppelin
9. Prince
10. Marvin Gaye

Big fan of Belle & Sebastian, Radiohead, Elvis Costello, Of Montreal, Paul Simon/S&G, Captain Beefheart, Public Enemy, Michael Jackson, Jackson 5, NMH, Wilco, Zombies, Kinks, Buddy Holly, and frankly enough other artists to make any list useless.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »

1. Bob Dylan
2. Tom Waits
3. David Bowie
4. Elvis Presley
5. Leonard Cohen
6. Neil Young
7. Joni Mitchell
8. Paul McCartney
9. Frank Zappa
10. Michael Nesmith

Just some personal faves, as always, subject to change.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

You should try some Bob Dylan too.  Check out his albums Time Out of Mind or Modern Times!

Smokin

lol why?

They just do. Your comment to a fellow poster about how he takes the board "too seriously" was the icing on the cake:

Many here have great stories about personally being with The Beach Boys. Other members here have spent decades researching the Beach Boys. Some here have incredible knowledge in the field of recording. Others here have written books/bios on The Boys/Brian Wilson. Some here have even proffesionally worked for the Boys themselves. And many of us add laughs and, from time to time, have intelligent things to say.

A certain level of maturity is expected from each of us for the good of the board - without it people lose interest/respect for this place...thus jeopardizing the wealth of knowledge we have here. Some here have already talked about leaving (and have possibly left) due to the declining maturity level around here.

Yes, it's just a messageboard - but to many of us it's a place to learn about our favorite band. It's a place where I learned to enjoy The Beach Boys that much more. I don't mean to be a prick, I've just seen this place go downhill the last few months and comments like yours set me off. I do enjoy many of your posts and I'm glad you're among us fellow young fans. Keep posting, but remember who else reads this board.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:29:41 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

Smokin

lol why?

They just do. Your comment to a fellow poster about how he takes the board "too seriously" was the icing on the cake:

Many here have great stories about personally being with The Beach Boys. Other members here have spent decades researching the Beach Boys. Some here have incredible knowledge in the field of recording. Others here have written books/bios on The Boys/Brian Wilson. Some here have even proffesionally worked for the Boys themselves. And many of us add laughs and, from time to time, have intelligent things to say.

A certain level of maturity is expected from each of us for the good of the board - without it people lose interest/respect for this place...thus jeopardizing the wealth of knowledge we have here. Some here have already talked about leaving due to the declining maturity level around here.

Yes, it's just a messageboard - but to many of us it's a place to learn about our favorite band. It's a place where I learned to enjoy The Beach Boys that much more. I don't mean to be a prick, I've just seen this place go downhill the last few months and comments like yours set me off. I do enjoy many of your posts and I'm glad you're among us fellow young fans. Keep posting, but remember who else reads this board.
I never say anything rude, complain or pick fights with any of you.
I enjoy listening to your experiences and learning new things about the beach boys.(music in general)
I might seem hard to understand(immateur) but we've all been that way once in our life so take it easy on me lol.
Thats the only reason why i post is to see  all of your opinions/comments and listen to what you all  have to say, to be honest that's the only reason why i even have an account.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:27 AM »

Anyone who doesn't say Prince in their solo artist list is insane, imo

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 03:07:03 AM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

Smokin
His singing from The Basement Tapes 1967 to Desire 1975 is pretty good. He sounds much more traditional in this period.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:11 AM »

Anyone who doesn't say Prince in their solo artist list is insane, imo
i agree with u ..he's so diverse,mysterious and creative.. Smiley he's like a mad scientist.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »

I guess I can do this for my favourites. In some sort of order....

1. Spiritualized (although not sure if he counts as a 'solo' act...)
2. The Beach Boys and assorted...
3. The Beatles
4. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
5. The Stooges
6. Super Furry Animals
7. Daft Punk
8. The Velvet Underground (and assorted solo projects, especially Cale)
9. NEU!
10. Kraftwerk

Solo Artists

Nilsson
Randy Newman
Todd Rundgren
Aretha Franklin
Judee Sill
Van Dyke Parks
Daniel Johnston
Sinatra (If only for In The Wee Small Hours, my sad-bastard album of choice)
Prince (if you ignore the 90's stuff...)
Johnny Cash.

Honourable mentions,

Duke Ellington, Every band on the Nuggets album, every artist on the Life is a Problem compilation from Mississippi Records, every artist on Stax and Motown, Lorraine Ellison, Rufus Wainwright, Cat Power, Ivor Cutler, Phil Spector, Isaac Hayes, Jack Nitszche, Jellyfish, and every doo wop band ever, but with special reserve for The Flamingos, The Ink Spots, and The Fleetwoods for their version of Unchained Melody.

Will put my top ten for Last.Fm too because, well, sh*t.
1. The Beach Boys
2. Spiritualized
3. The Beatles
4. Nilsson
5. Bob Dylan
6. Brian Wilson
7. Daniel Johnston
8. Er, myself  Embarrassed  LOL
9. John Lennon
10. Van Dyke Parks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:47:40 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »

I'm not one to profess what the greatest bands are, but according to last.fm, here are my most listened-to artists:

1. The Beach Boys
2. John Denver
3. The Misfits
4. Brian Wilson
5. T. Rex
6. The Beatles
7. Bright Eyes
8. Animal Collective
9. Modest Mouse
10. Sunset Rubdown
most people don't even know who brian wilson is.(excluding from bb fans) lol..
so thats a load of bs. and i'm glad they added t-rex Smiley

no, you don't understand. this list is made up from my personal listening statistics. I listen to Brian Wilson a lot which is why he's so high up on my list.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »

I'm not one to profess what the greatest bands are, but according to last.fm, here are my most listened-to artists:

1. The Beach Boys
2. John Denver
3. The Misfits
4. Brian Wilson
5. T. Rex
6. The Beatles
7. Bright Eyes
8. Animal Collective
9. Modest Mouse
10. Sunset Rubdown
most people don't even know who brian wilson is.(excluding from bb fans) lol..
so thats a load of bs. and i'm glad they added t-rex Smiley

no, you don't understand. this list is made up from my personal listening statistics. I listen to Brian Wilson a lot which is why he's so high up on my list.
Oh alright Smiley i thought this was a list from a magazine or website lol
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »

3. The Beatles
5. The Stooges
6. Super Furry Animals
7. Daft Punk
9. NEU!
10. Kraftwerk

Solo Artists

Nilsson
Randy Newman
Todd Rundgren
Aretha Franklin
Judee Sill
Van Dyke Parks
Daniel Johnston
Johnny Cash.

Honourable mentions,

Duke Ellington, Every band on the Nuggets album, every artist on the Life is a Problem compilation from Mississippi Records, every artist on Stax and Motown, Lorraine Ellison, Rufus Wainwright, Cat Power, Ivor Cutler, Phil Spector, Isaac Hayes, Jack Nitszche, Jellyfish, and every doo wop band ever, but with special reserve for The Flamingos, The Ink Spots, and The Fleetwoods for their version of Unchained Melody.

1. The Beach Boys
2. Spiritualized
3. The Beatles
4. Nilsson
5. Bob Dylan
6. Brian Wilson
7. Daniel Johnston
9. John Lennon
10. Van Dyke Parks.
lmfaoooo we all should ignore prince's 90's music Smiley lol
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach boys
3. U2
4. The Who
5. Michael Jackson
6. Oasis
7. Megadeth
8. Guns n Roses
9. Bob Dylan
10. The Libertines

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

3. The Beatles
5. The Stooges
6. Super Furry Animals
7. Daft Punk
9. NEU!
10. Kraftwerk

Solo Artists

Nilsson
Randy Newman
Todd Rundgren
Aretha Franklin
Judee Sill
Van Dyke Parks
Daniel Johnston
Johnny Cash.

Honourable mentions,

1. The Beach Boys
2. Spiritualized
3. The Beatles
4. Nilsson
5. Bob Dylan
6. Brian Wilson
7. Daniel Johnston
9. John Lennon
10. Van Dyke Parks.

You have excellent musical taste.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »

Top 5 for 1950's
1/ Elvis
2/ The Coasters
3/ Chuck Berry
4/ The Chordettes
5/ Ray Charles

Top 5 for 1960's
1/ Beach Boys
2/ Frank Zappa & Mothers
3/ The Byrds
4/ Bob Dylan
5/ The Monkees

Top 5 for 1970's
1/ Beach Boys
2/ Genesis
3/ David Bowie
4/ Pink Floyd
5/ Judee Sill

Top 5 for 1980's
1/ The Cure
2/ Kate Bush
3/ Fleetwood Mac & Lindsey Buckingham Solo
4/ Siouxsie & The Banshees
5/ The Stranglers

Top 5 for 1990's
1/ Smashing Pumpkins
2/ Pearl Jam
3/ The Cocteau Twins
4/ Stone Temple Pilots
5/ Radiohead

Lifetime achievement award MUST go to WISHBONE ASH.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:54:40 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx