gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:07:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Top 10 Greatest Bands Of All Time :)  (Read 37252 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Beach Boys
4. Genesis
5. The Kinks
6. Pink Floyd
7. Led Zeppelin
8. The Doors
9. Radiohead
10. The Who
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:24:20 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »

Sounds like you could use a little Stone Temple Pilots in your life.

No mas, por favor.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »

i love stone temple pilots Smiley have u ever heard this amazing smooth song by them? (the chorus is so dreamy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJuNyfteQg
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »

i love stone temple pilots Smiley have u ever heard this amazing smooth song by them? (the chorus is so dreamy)

Awh yeah. I've got pretty much everything I can by them. They'd either go right over or right under The Beach Boys for me, depending on what day it is.

As for the other 8 I haven't a clue.

No mas, por favor.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »

Awh yeah. I've got pretty much everything I can by them. They'd either go right over or right under The Beach Boys for me, depending on what day it is.

As for the other 8 I haven't a clue.
The first time i heard stp it was because my dad made me listen to them after i said nirvana was the best grunge band. I was so wrong Razz lol..stp changed their music genre quite a few times but every album by them was amazing. Smiley

Paulos
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »

You need some Weezer in your life son!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFgayhYnXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCoGkMlfz9I

Also some Byrds and Monkees
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:46:25 AM by Paulos » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:15:12 AM »

I'mma check out Weezer's music. Smiley
The Byrds are ok i just hate how they changed the sound and made it country. Gram Parsons really influenced them to make that change. smh :/
The Monkees were a gimmick band as much as people will try to deny it. they had a few hits my favorite of their singles is "A little bit of me, A little bit of you".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:46 AM »

The Monkees were a gimmick band as much as people will try to deny it. they had a few hits my favorite of their singles is "A little bit of me, A little bit of you".

The Monkees started out as a manufactured pop band - in much the same way the Beach Boys started out singing songs about surfing and girls. Their run of albums from Headquarters through Head, though, is as good as any other four-album run in history. Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd, in particular, is as good as any album I've ever heard.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »

The Monkees started out as a manufactured pop band - in much the same way the Beach Boys started out singing songs about surfing and girls. Their run of albums from Headquarters through Head, though, is as good as any other four-album run in history. Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd, in particular, is as good as any album I've ever heard.
I checked out their discography and was dissatisfied :/..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »

The Byrds are ok i just hate how they changed the sound and made it country. Gram Parsons really influenced them to make that change. smh :/

Gram Parsons is cool, though, although Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a pretty limp album. If you want to see what the fuss is about, try listening to The Flying Burrito Brother's 'The Gilded Palace of Sin' for the real 'country rock' sound. Rocks harder. Better songs. Gram is actually present.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 05:02:35 AM »

Gram Parsons is cool, though, although Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a pretty limp album. If you want to see what the fuss is about, try listening to The Flying Burrito Brother's 'The Gilded Palace of Sin' for the real 'country rock' sound. Rocks harder. Better songs. Gram is actually present.
dont wanna seem rude but i wish gram never collarborated with the byrds he ruined their ultimate folk/pop sound :/.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »

I'm not one to profess what the greatest bands are, but according to last.fm, here are my most listened-to artists:

1. The Beach Boys
2. John Denver
3. The Misfits
4. Brian Wilson
5. T. Rex
6. The Beatles
7. Bright Eyes
8. Animal Collective
9. Modest Mouse
10. Sunset Rubdown

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »

dont wanna seem rude but i wish gram never collarborated with the byrds he ruined their ultimate folk/pop sound :/.

They were going away from it anyway - Have you heard The Notorious Byrd Brothers? Definitely more psychedelic/country, and in 1968 the band were kinda in crisis - No Crosby, no Gene Clark, and McGuinn couldn't carry it alone. Also, it wasn't just Gram pushing them - Hillman was also advocating the country direction. But yes, it's a definite change. I like the later ones, as they slot into the Laurel Canyon style music that I'm digging presently.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »

I would just like to throw in that Sweetheart of the Rodeo is not the first ever country rock album. It's a rock band playing straight country music - there is a difference. Only the last Dylan cover sounds remotely rockish. I do think if the original Byrds lineup had stuck together they would have been the best group of the 60's, that's right, even better than The Beach Boys!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies
10. To be honest those are the only bands i listen to all the time so There is no 10 for me Tongue lol

Too FM Radio for me in spots, I'm afraid. Apart from a few songs, not a fan of The Doors, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd save the Syd Barrett era and while I do love the Stones, I wouldn't put them ahead of The Kinks or The Who or several other bands for that matter.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:05:47 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »

I like the later ones, as they slot into the Laurel Canyon style music that I'm digging presently.

Yeeeeaahhh!! I went through that last year. It was helped by that boxset Where the Action Is.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:41:23 AM by rockandroll » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:28 AM »

They were going away from it anyway - Have you heard The Notorious Byrd Brothers? Definitely more psychedelic/country, and in 1968 the band were kinda in crisis - No Crosby, no Gene Clark, and McGuinn couldn't carry it alone. Also, it wasn't just Gram pushing them - Hillman was also advocating the country direction. But yes, it's a definite change. I like the later ones, as they slot into the Laurel Canyon style music that I'm digging presently.
Its a miracle that "notorious" was finished, and an even bigger miracle that it was one of the best Byrds albums ever made.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

I'm not one to profess what the greatest bands are, but according to last.fm, here are my most listened-to artists:

1. The Beach Boys
2. John Denver
3. The Misfits
4. Brian Wilson
5. T. Rex
6. The Beatles
7. Bright Eyes
8. Animal Collective
9. Modest Mouse
10. Sunset Rubdown
most people don't even know who brian wilson is.(excluding from bb fans) lol..
so thats a load of bs. and i'm glad they added t-rex Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »

I would just like to throw in that Sweetheart of the Rodeo is not the first ever country rock album. It's a rock band playing straight country music - there is a difference. Only the last Dylan cover sounds remotely rockish. I do think if the original Byrds lineup had stuck together they would have been the best group of the 60's, that's right, even better than The Beach Boys!!
better than the beach boys? wow thats crazy...i think if the zombies would've stuck 2gether and released more albums they would be top 5 of all time in everybody's eyes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:54:10 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies
10. To be honest those are the only bands i listen to all the time so There is no 10 for me Tongue lol

Too FM Radio for me in spots, I'm afraid. Apart from a few songs, not a fan of The Doors, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd save the Syd Barrett era and while I do love the Stones, I wouldn't put them ahead of The Kinks or The Who or several other bands for that matter.
what order would u put it in? Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »

This is my Top 10 that I listen to the most. I take no stock in magazine lists, except if I see a name that intrigues me to give a listen.

1. The Beach Boys
2. Electric Light Orchestra
3. Steely Dan
4. The Beatles
5. The Who
6. The 4 Seasons
7. The Rolling Stones
8. Chicago
9. Cream
10. Daryl Hall & John Oates

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MBE
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

I have a top 16 that never wavers. This isn't in any order really ranking wise, these are just my very favorites
Elvis Presley
Jerry Lee Lewis
The Beach Boys
Jan and Dean
Bob Dylan
Ike and Tina
James Brown
The Jackson 5
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Pink Floyd
The First Edition
The Small Faces
Charlie Rich
Buddy Holly
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »

Imo

1. The Beatles
2. The  Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
6. The Doors
7. The Who
8. The Kinks
9. The Zombies

You should try some Bob Dylan too.  Check out his albums Time Out of Mind or Modern Times!

Smokin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

Don't worry about being rude -- but Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman would disagree with your opinion about Gram!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

I like the later ones, as they slot into the Laurel Canyon style music that I'm digging presently.

Yeeeeaahhh!! I went through that last year. It was helped by that boxset Where the Action Is.

Man, that boxset is insane. I love it. I've been reading a Barney Hoskyns book about the scene (Hotel California, which seems to posit all was cool until David Crosby stopped sharing his cocaine and The Eagles showed up) too and connecting the dots - Judee Sill, Joni, The Byrds and assorted branches, Little Feat, Randy Newman, VDP....So much good stuff. Although I'm worried it'll get me listening to The Eagles.  LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx