gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will harmony reign on Beach Boys tour? USA Today  (Read 12724 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »

he just comes off like an ass mostly. no one is asking him what he contributed but he's there offering it up and painting in very broad strokes.

he's Mike freakin Love. love him. hate him. love to hate him. it doesn't keep me up at night. anymore.  Wink
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »

Well, maybe he's proud of his contributions!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »

Disliking Mike Love is so 1991.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »

The first two pages of this thread were good and then it took a nosedive. Not that there weren't any more good posts - in fact, there were some very insightful ones - but the sniping and personal attacks really make it a chore to read.

I have noticed oldsurferdude's Myk - and now Bruth!! - misspellings in the past and called him out on it. He responded in a witty, characteristically deliberately obtuse manner which I enjoyed, and we moved on. There's no reason to escalate on a message board on the Internet - it is a waste of precious seconds/minutes of your life.

I am guilty of this once or twice myself. It makes everybody who reads the thread in the future 1) think you're a dick and 2) waste their time reading your ad hominem attacks when they want to read about the Beach Boys and relax.

And now I've wasted my time and yours posting about it.

- B00ts
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »

Everybody is free to hate Mike Love, as long as he or she doesn't perform any harmful action against him.

Just so Mike's inferioritycomplexish behavior doesn't bother me, so I don't hate him.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 01:14:57 AM »

Anyway, my view of Mike Love has evolved over the years.  I met Mike briefly in the 1990s and he behaved exactly like one would likely expect him to, both his supporters and detractors. Some would find his behavior offputting. Mike may be "Mr. Positivty," but he has a somewhat dark sense of humor. Oftentimes, it crosses the line into self parody.

I believe Mike is a complex human being with many contradictions, like most of us, and that he has changed over the years, again as most people do. He is still Mike Love though, and though he takes pain nowadays to be diplomatic, he still manges to piss people off in a singular way.

Much of this is his own fault and much is an act of history. Had Mike died and Denmis survived, he may not be revered like Dennis has become on he basis of Looking Back With Love, but attitudes would surely be different. I love Dennis and Brian, but they get a lot of leeway from the fans for a lot of bullsh*t. Why not extend that same courtesy, at this late date, to Mike?

I can understand not liking Mike Love (though I have come around to him quite a bit), but there is a lot to respect him for, like staying clean throughout the 60s and 70s (and always), working his ass off in studio and live, being one of Brian's main writing partners on many classic songs, and being a fuking Beach Boy for 50 years.

I know, some will cry. "Studio work? You mean Summer in Paradise? There's plenty to disrespect Mike Love for!"

Mike feels he has to defend his legacy because of all the aforementioned issues. I think he handles it well, all things considered, though I agree that it makes him seem like he is desperate for credit. I just believe that there is a lot to appreciate him for when you get past the BS, as Brian and Al apparently have. What better time than now, on the eve of this 50th anniversary celebration?

Celebration? Oh my God, he is trying to covertly turm the Beach Boys into Celebration, and then they will be his to control. Brian, look out!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:21:23 AM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2012, 04:53:08 AM »

I think they have all probably mellowed out a bit now and realise that this might be the last chance to really celebrate their whole lives. The fans still want them to release material and tour so if the demand is there it would make sense to do it one more time. The Boys had different views on their direction during their big days but I guess that's gone now so the tensions aren't as high. I may be wrong of course!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »

Actually I like the way Mike sings here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zWdaBW0Zc&feature=related

Well, better not listen to what he sings, just how he sings. I hope they don't do TM songs on their new album... Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:34 AM »

Sweet Jesus..Im totally surprised Mike Love can walk on any stage in the WORLD and NOT get hit with fruit + vegetables like i saw  The Raspberries get hit with..The dude must be secure  + have a big ego to walk on any stage and NOT expect this..I have HUGE issues with ML.BUT.!!The dude is not melancholy.  He is a big part of BB.Fights always break out when ML posts come up..!The ONLY problem i have with ML is.! He allways wants to turn BB into an OLDIES band since late 80"s..He got his wish after Carl died..BUT.Anybody that saw BB in 60-70-80"s.When they were a CONTEMPORARY band of the era. Would know ML was NOT the whole band..If anything CARL was the DEFINING member...While i understand the issues YOU all have..Truth be told. The issues You have with ML. Are issues you have with him since CW died.! Im Serious.!.Things would be different if CW was still ALIVE..2 Things .ALAN would still be part of the band.AND BW wouldnt have a serious solo career + tour...Think about it.BW has made numerous LP'S + toured ..If you take half of BW solo lp"s + PUT A BB MONICKER ON THEM BB WOULD still BE A CONTEMPORARY BAND...JESUS.Enjoy what we gonna get this year..!! Stop fighting about somebody that doesnt care what you think,.!!!!!!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »

Sweet Jesus..Im totally surprised Mike Love can walk on any stage in the WORLD and NOT get hit with fruit + vegetables like i saw  The Raspberries get hit with..The dude must be secure  + have a big ego to walk on any stage and NOT expect this..I have HUGE issues with ML.BUT.!!The dude is not melancholy.  He is a big part of BB.Fights always break out when ML posts come up..!The ONLY problem i have with ML is.! He allways wants to turn BB into an OLDIES band since late 80"s..He got his wish after Carl died..BUT.Anybody that saw BB in 60-70-80"s.When they were a CONTEMPORARY band of the era. Would know ML was NOT the whole band..If anything CARL was the DEFINING member...While i understand the issues YOU all have..Truth be told. The issues You have with ML. Are issues you have with him since CW died.! Im Serious.!.Things would be different if CW was still ALIVE..2 Things .ALAN would still be part of the band.AND BW wouldnt have a serious solo career + tour...Think about it.BW has made numerous LP'S + toured ..If you take half of BW solo lp"s + PUT A BB MONICKER ON THEM BB WOULD still BE A CONTEMPORARY BAND...JESUS.Enjoy what we gonna get this year..!! Stop fighting about somebody that doesnt care what you think,.!!!!!!!
You are probably right that Al would still be in the band, but they were an oldies act since 1974, long before Carl passed away. We know they tried to avoid it on records, but lack of sales hurt that. Recapturing lightning in a bottle with albums like MIU didn't work either. Trying Mike Love as a Producer didn't work in the 90's either. Except for us hardcore fans, everyone else pigeonholed them as a an Oldies band. I believe that if the concert goers of the 70's and early 80's had been more receptive to the newer material, things would/could have gone much differently. Many of us seen and heard them try to fight it early on, but you can only do that so long before the audience can turn on you. Considering that concerts have been their bread & butter for more than 40 years, you need to play what the audience wants to hear, and that is just the oldies, sad to say.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »

If you were a 70-year old grandfather who'd been a "Beach Boy" for your entire adult life, wouldn't you have a few, shall we say, quirks and eccentricities ?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx