gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:13:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718813 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 09, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »

Mr. Desper,

It just hit me that I read about you working on Keepin the Summer Alive. What was your role on that project? What tracks did you record? Did you work with Dennis on other songs during that time period as well? How was working with the Beach Boys during this album different from the late 60's early 70s?

I hope all is well with you. Smiley
-Joe

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: May 09, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »

Mr. Desper,

It just hit me that I read about you working on Keepin the Summer Alive. What was your role on that project? What tracks did you record? Did you work with Dennis on other songs during that time period as well? How was working with the Beach Boys during this album different from the late 60's early 70s?

I hope all is well with you. Smiley
-Joe

COMMENT TO JOE:  Joe I've commented on all this before and the information is redally available off the album.  I was the chief engineer and mixer. I recorded all tracks. Dennis visited the studio once, otherwise stayed on his boat. That was the start of his decline. Difference was the studio, of course, many more tracks -- 48 up from 16 -- with more things in the matrix, an automated board, Bruce as producer -- more ridged style, not living at the studio but driving there every day, not all the guys were there at the same time, lots more stacking, the use of more studio musicians, too many visitors in the control room all the time, made it noisy -- it was a very large room while at house studio only one or two visitors could even get in, more outboard equipment to use.  I would say, overall not as creative an environment as the house, also not as fun -- more like work. ~swd
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 09, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »

And you can hear it in the album too! Thank you for your time. Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: May 18, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »

CALLING MARK H.  

Do you remember posting a photo of what you believed to be the mixing board at Brian's home studio?
I responded that I thought it was over at Western Studios due to the tape machines in the background.

Could you re-post that photo or tell me where it may be posted on the Web, Please.

I wish to use your original question in my book, but need the photo for the question to make sense.

Thanks much.
  ~swd
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 22, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

Hi Sir, I was wondering if you recall traveling with the group on their short Pacific Northwest tour in January 1969? I have an article about the bands January 16 1969 app at the Memorial Arena in Victoria which mentions you by name.  To quote "This time the sound equipment (150,00 worth) managed to conquer the arena acoustics and a great deal of the credit for the show's success myust be given to Steve Desper, designer and operator of the sound system's complex, glowing control panel."  Was this new sound system designed by you at the group's request for the European tour the precvious December? Also Alan Boyd stated that the group recorded about 7 shows in the Summer of 1968 including Phoenix, Fargo, and Chicago- I take it that you accompanied them on this 68 tour? Any memories of those tours?
Thanks
Ian
bluerincon1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 23, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »

Dear Mr. Desper:

I hope you are feeling well.  I must say your book is an excellent read.  I'm truly sorry to ask, but I've checked on the message boards and couldn't find thiese answers:

I know around late 1971/early 1972 you left the Beach Boys' employment.  I have read that it was because you were not a follower of TM?  Is that true.

Obviously, at the time you left, the group was working on "Carl & The Passions - So Tough."  Were you there through the completion of the basic tracking?

Finally, being a Zappa fan, I was wondering how he hired you and how long you worked for him?

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:10:34 PM by bluerincon1 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #856 on: May 24, 2007, 12:09:53 AM »

Hi Mr. Desper, I was wondering if you were with Zappa when Kin Vassy was with the group? I am a fan of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition of which he was a member.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: May 24, 2007, 06:44:51 AM »

Hi Sir, I was wondering if you recall traveling with the group on their short Pacific Northwest tour in January 1969? I have an article about the bands January 16 1969 app at the Memorial Arena in Victoria which mentions you by name.  To quote "This time the sound equipment (150,00 worth) managed to conquer the arena acoustics and a great deal of the credit for the show's success myust be given to Steve Desper, designer and operator of the sound system's complex, glowing control panel."  Was this new sound system designed by you at the group's request for the European tour the precvious December? Also Alan Boyd stated that the group recorded about 7 shows in the Summer of 1968 including Phoenix, Fargo, and Chicago- I take it that you accompanied them on this 68 tour? Any memories of those tours?
Thanks
Ian

COMMENT TO IAN:  I'm not good with specific dates.  AEIJTZSCHE found the AES (Audio Engineering Society) paper I co-wrote on that system for the society.  The creation of that system predates the paper by about a year.  Maybe AEIJTZSCHE can recall the link to the paper and/or the exact date the system was built.  I did design the system, but there were several groundbreaking features of the system that (some contributed by others) made it stand out before others of that time.  It was a beautiful sight to behold in any theater. It could be configured to entertain up to 35,000 people -- and did.

Lots of memories. It was the best of times.
  ~swd
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:46:34 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:01 AM »

Dear Mr. Desper:

I hope you are feeling well.  I must say your book is an excellent read.  I'm truly sorry to ask, but I've checked on the message boards and couldn't find thiese answers:

I know around late 1971/early 1972 you left the Beach Boys' employment.  I have read that it was because you were not a follower of TM?  Is that true.

Obviously, at the time you left, the group was working on "Carl & The Passions - So Tough."  Were you there through the completion of the basic tracking?

Finally, being a Zappa fan, I was wondering how he hired you and how long you worked for him?

Thank you for your time.

COMMENT TO  BLUERINCON1:  Mike wanted a TM'er on board. I refused to bow to a sand-script god.  It was their loss and Zappa's gain.

I left as they went to Holland. For CATP Carl wanted to work in a completely different atmosphere.

Didn't I just post about Zappa's band several pages back? 
~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: May 24, 2007, 06:58:39 AM »

Hi Mr. Desper, I was wondering if you were with Zappa when Kin Vassy was with the group? I am a fan of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition of which he was a member.

COMMENT TO MBE:  I think I just posted about the Zappa band several pages ago.  I'm sorry, I don't associate the name Kin Vassy with the band I knew when with Zappa.   ~swd
MBE
« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2007, 06:08:01 PM »

Thanks anyway, I think Kin was only there about six months.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »

AEIJTZSCHE found the AES (Audio Engineering Society) paper I co-wrote on that system for the society.  The creation of that system predates the paper by about a year.  Maybe AEIJTZSCHE can recall the link to the paper and/or the exact date the system was built.  I did design the system, but there were several groundbreaking features of the system that (some contributed by others) made it stand out before others of that time.  It was a beautiful sight to behold in any theater.

The AES paper was dated sometime in 69 I'm pretty sure.  I will check for sure if someone wants to know.  The whole article is really great and shed a lot of light on the subject, and since it was all new at the time it was written, it comes across as being very fresh and the details are very specific and technical.

I won't circulate the paper, because I want the AES to make some money, but if you go to the AES site you can seach for "Desper" and it will come up.  It was very easy to find and costs something like 20 dollars.

If somebody had a very specific question about the article I'd certainly feel OK following up with that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:16 AM »

This the one ?

"Design Innovations in a Portable Sound Reinforcement System
Volume 18 Number 6 pp. 667-670; December 1970

A professional portable sound reinforcement system is described which was designed to overcome the serious audio problems encountered when presenting touring rock music concerts in a wide variety of acoustic environments where controlled high-quality high-level sound reinforcement is essential, along with rapid system setup and removal.

Authors:   Desper, Stephen; Bennett, R. L."

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 08:38:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2007, 12:29:18 AM »

I wanted to ask if there is any news of the Flame LP's being reissued? I hope vinyl will be done as companies like Sundazzed, Get Back, Nortan, and now again Rhino do great LP packages.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:46 PM »

I wanted to ask if there is any news of the Flame LP's being reissued? I hope vinyl will be done as companies like Sundazzed, Get Back, Nortan, and now again Rhino do great LP packages.

I just stumbled upon an unopened Flame LP. I have no idea if it is reissued or not. The year was not anywhere to be seen on the record.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #865 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:03 AM »

If it has a bar code it's the new vinyl version released last year. It sounds great actually.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 20, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »

If it has a bar code it's the new vinyl version released last year. It sounds great actually.

And so it does.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »

Has anybody saved that pic (in bigger resolution) of Stephen and his Corvette?

If yes I'd really appreciate if that person could repost it here! Thanks in advance  Smiley

EDIT The request has been fulfilled! Grin Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:58:00 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: July 22, 2007, 02:04:59 AM »

Hi Mr. Desper,
are you involved in any way with Al Jardine's soloalbum?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 31, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »

Mr. Desper:
Were you involved with the Spring/demo work done by Brian and Marilyn at Westminist'r Sound in Otho, IA?

And if so, were you at all involved with the recording of Westminist'r's song called "Sister Jane"?  The guy that runs that studio told me that somebody from the Beach Boys' camp did the arrangement on that record, and though it's anciently out-of-print, it's such a joy to hear.  I'd really love to hear more backstory on that, if you have any.

Thanks!
joeytangel
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: August 04, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »

How do I ask Mr. Desper questions about Dennis? Where do I post them? And how do I finally get my hands on his great Book!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 04, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

Post them here, Joey, but be sure to read - or at least skim - the archives and this thread so that you don't ask things that Stephen has already answered...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
dunhill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 21, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »

Hello Mr. Desper,

I recently purchased a pair of DPI Loudspeakers (Studio Series).  I can't find any information on them.  I am wondering if they are a product that was manufactured by Desper Products?

Thanks,

Charles
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »

Mr. Desper (or anyone else for that matter), I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but could you suggest to me what would be the best products to buy for recording vocals, guitar, and piano directly onto a computer?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 19, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »

Rumours are starting to circulate that The Flame] and the second album - thus far unreleased - are to be packaged and released together later this year.  Can anybody confirm this?  It would be GREAT news!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx