gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718795 times)
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: April 22, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »

I hope you're doing okay, Mr. Desper.
COMMENT to DRM:  Thanks for asking if I'm OK . . . actually I've had pneumonia, which laid me up for over a month. Taking advantage of the bed-ridden situation, and with the help of my trusty IBM Thinkpad, I was able to tie up all the loose ends and finish the second part of the book. It is now being rendered in the Vimeo software we use for the Study-Videos. Then a final check. So, depending on everyone's schedule, your wait  should not be much longer . . . and will be rewarded with around 175 pages of some interesting stuff.  My health has returned to normal enabling me to now add commentary to a Beach Boy special in the works. Sorry, can't give you more information at this time, but it will be big. ~swd
Great news.  I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and doing okay. It's coming up on Beach Boys season and there are many of us who haven't forgotten your major role in creating some of the Beach Boys' finest work.  Not to mention your ability to communicate extensive knowledge in an artful and human manner. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:56:56 PM by DRM » Logged
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:32 AM »

My health has returned to normal enabling me to now add commentary to a Beach Boy special in the works. Sorry, can't give you more information at this time, but it will be big.[/size] ~swd

I am glad you're feeling better. A Beach Boys special in the works that will be big? Can't wait!!! Thanks again for all you do.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1902 on: May 29, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »

My health has returned to normal enabling me to now add commentary to a Beach Boy special in the works. Sorry, can't give you more information at this time, but it will be big.[/size] ~swd

I am glad you're feeling better. A Beach Boys special in the works that will be big? Can't wait!!! Thanks again for all you do.

COMMENT to Rick 5150:  "It will be big"  -- I was referring to the XM Channel 4 project, which at the time was in the works, but yet to be announced.
And if you have listened, you can imagine how much work Sirius has put and continues to put into filling this channel with entertaining and varied Beach Boy music non-stop, all summer long.  I'll tell you this much, it is certainly gratifying to turn to a radio station and hear songs you have engineered, but haven't heard for years.
  ~swd
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 30, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »

I am listening to Sirius XM Beach Boys Channel right now! I love the variety of the songs they are playing! Thanks for making sure all their music is represented and not just the hits.  So now that this big project is underway,  is there any progress with the Vimeo rendering for part 2 of your online studies book?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1904 on: May 30, 2018, 08:17:32 PM »

I am listening to Sirius XM Beach Boys Channel right now! I love the variety of the songs they are playing! Thanks for making sure all their music is represented and not just the hits.  So now that this big project is underway,  is there any progress with the Vimeo rendering for part 2 of your online studies book?

COMMENT to DisneySpirit: I am also listening to the XM Channel, but other folks have put together the play list -- which is a good mix of popular and rare, IMHO, and the editing of all the interview comments. As to part two, it is finished. It is now being rendered to Vimeo using our format for the study-videos. Professor Conner does this as his time permits. Then a re-check. Anticipated finish date is late July, pending no major problems. ~swd
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:18:32 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: June 24, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »

I read in the Gaines book that the Bellagio studio was upgraded substantially circa 1968, and that the job took only a day. When was that exactly? Before or after the Friends album? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:45:29 PM by terrei » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1906 on: June 28, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »

I read in the Gaines book that the Bellagio studio was upgraded substantially circa 1968, and that the job took only a day. When was that exactly? Before or after the Friends album? Thanks

COMMENT to terrei:  Your question is answered in part one of my book. Please read the book at the link below. All related questions about the Bellagio studio will soon be thoroughly answered in the forthcoming release of part two, Recording The Beach Boys.     ~swd

http://swdstudyvideos.com
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 30, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »

COMMENT to terrei:  Your question is answered in part one of my book. Please read the book at the link below. All related questions about the Bellagio studio will soon be thoroughly answered in the forthcoming release of part two, Recording The Beach Boys.     ~swd

http://swdstudyvideos.com
  Great news.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 24, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »

Mr Desper,

If I could bend your ear for a moment. On a facebook page a fan has proudly received an acetate (british) of Dennis Wilson and Rumbo's Falling in Love/Sounds of Free. on said acetate, it refers to "Sounds of Free" as being "Settle Down" ( written on the acetate and then crossed off) Do you remember if Settle Down was a different song from Sounds of Free? or is this just an alternate title?

thanks
finding this interesting
doc smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1909 on: July 27, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

Mr Desper,

If I could bend your ear for a moment. On a facebook page a fan has proudly received an acetate (british) of Dennis Wilson and Rumbo's Falling in Love/Sounds of Free. on said acetate, it refers to "Sounds of Free" as being "Settle Down" ( written on the acetate and then crossed off) Do you remember if Settle Down was a different song from Sounds of Free? or is this just an alternate title?

thanks
finding this interesting
doc smiley
"Settle Down" was the original title of the song as it was recorded on November 13th, 1970, according to AGD's site. Hope this helps.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 04, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »

COMMENT to DisneySpirit: I am also listening to the XM Channel, but other folks have put together the play list -- which is a good mix of popular and rare, IMHO, and the editing of all the interview comments. As to part two, it is finished. It is now being rendered to Vimeo using our format for the study-videos. Professor Conner does this as his time permits. Then a re-check. Anticipated finish date is late July, pending no major problems. ~swd
[/quote]

Mr Desper. Is there a new anticipated finish date for part two?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1911 on: August 05, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »

COMMENT:  Rendering isn't always click and copy. There are digital bugs that creep in. So far we've done three renderings. Each has problems that must be corrected. I'm not publishing a book with mistakes or missing parts. We just keep plugging away at the project and eventually it will get done correctly. What can I say? ~swd
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »

Your attention to detail is most appreciated. Sorry to hear you have been having rendering problems.  Was just curious as to the status of part 2. I know it will be worth the wait!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1913 on: August 18, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »

The anticipation is killing me, I can't wait to read/listen! Such a fascinating period of the group's career...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 29, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

https://youtu.be/DX_ct9wJr0s

This video is incredible. The Boys In ‘69 recording in Brian’s home studio. It’s obvious they aren’t recording “I can hear music”, so what were they tracking? It’s something that’s uptempo and has a lot of guitar. Also, there’s one shot at 1:19 of Carl singing outside. Has there ever been anything written about if they recorded vocals outdoors at Brian’s?

And we also see Steve Desper a few times too! Could you provide any info, Steve?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1915 on: September 29, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »

https://youtu.be/DX_ct9wJr0s

This video is incredible. The Boys In ‘69 recording in Brian’s home studio. It’s obvious they aren’t recording “I can hear music”, so what were they tracking? It’s something that’s uptempo and has a lot of guitar. Also, there’s one shot at 1:19 of Carl singing outside. Has there ever been anything written about if they recorded vocals outdoors at Brian’s?

And we also see Steve Desper a few times too! Could you provide any info, Steve?

It's possible they're working on more than one song here...some of this footage was recycled for the "American Band" full-length video documentary in the mid-'80s, but there was also mixed in with it footage (not included here, that I can tell) of Carl recording a lead vocal, to the sound of "Time To Get Alone", and the movements of his lips synched up perfectly...so MAYBE that's one of the songs being worked on here.
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 10, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »

COMMENT:  Rendering isn't always click and copy. There are digital bugs that creep in. So far we've done three renderings. Each has problems that must be corrected. I'm not publishing a book with mistakes or missing parts. We just keep plugging away at the project and eventually it will get done correctly. What can I say? ~swd

Mr Desper,  I see that your online book part two has a suspended status now?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1917 on: October 13, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »

Mr Desper,  I see that your online book part two has a suspended status now?

COMMENT to DisneySpirit:

That is correct. I have taken down the entire website until further notice. The reason is that the terms of using the website, as clearly defined on page one, have been violated. By going to page two, the user agrees to the terms of page one.

In those terms the viewer agrees that mistakes or errors may exist, however carefully the contents are checked for accuracy. In a civil discourse a simple statement of disagreement would be sufficient, but the ensuing bullying has become relentless and completely out-of-control. The terms have been violated. As stated, if the terms are violated, I “will personally take down the website.”

My website is (was) provided free of charge to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of its content and who abides by the rules set forth. Some “fans” seem to have forgotten that I pay for the website and for housing all the study-videos on Vimeo. Their response to a statement I made concerning a mix I did of Sail On, Sailor (SOS) has been twisted into a statement I did not make. All my website says is that Carl Wilson sang on the a cappello segment provided. I have never said that Blondie Chaplin did not sing the lead on SOS. In fact I have stated the opposite.

These twisted statements plus other negative comments of some fans are now appearing on other web forums as fact. Such ridicule puts my website in jeopardy since it exists, by way of the Fair Use Doctrine, at the courtesy of BRI and Capitol. These false statements imply that I am questioning the integrity of BRI, which I am not.

It is unfortunate that a few fans have made a mockery of my good name by focusing on one item, thus overshadowing the original intent of my book as a source of engineering technique and Beach Boy memories of 46 years ago.

After taking time away from equipment development, neurological research and my home life, to satisfy the requests from fans to publish the second part of my book, I am sorry that I must now close my website and re-group. I realize this ends access to all the study-videos and books that the majority of fans appreciate, but I cannot let a few belligerent fans endanger the website. Access to the website will remain closed until I determine when it is safe to republish.

Creating equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur !

~Stephen W. Desper 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:56:23 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:43 AM »

Mr. Desper. I am so very sorry you have had to suffer abuse from some (fans?) that are so inconsiderate with their comments online regarding you wonderful Study Videos and your book. I had really looked forward with anticipation to get to read Part Two "Surfs Up" of your book and have checked nearly every day for it's release. I sincerely hope that you may find a way to release it in the future. I would certainly buy it if it were available!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1919 on: October 19, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »

Stepehn,

Have you considered publishing the physical books and offering them for sale?

Thanks,

Donny

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: October 21, 2018, 02:50:03 AM »

Mr Desper,

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had to close down your study video pages, what a shame. Sadly, the world is full of idiots, and one just has to accept that it always will be. I hope you won't take to heart the stupid comments, and rest assured that the vast majority of us here do read your comments thoroughly, don't make stupid interpretations, and do really value your wisdom and the efforts you've put in to share the music of the Beach Boys.

I hope one day the time will again be right for you to put your excellent site back online so together we can continue the wonderful musical odyssey that is appreciation of the Beach Boys.

Best wishes,

Brother John

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 21, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »

Stupid comments? Idiots? We were merely helpfully pointing out a few errors Mr. Desper made. If he had been a bit more receptive to the possibility that he was, in fact, wrong, this wouldn't have ballooned into the big mess it became. Instead, he has responded by taking his toys away in a huff, and made us out to be the bad guy. Quite childish, actually.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1922 on: October 21, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »

Stupid comments? Idiots? We were merely helpfully pointing out a few errors Mr. Desper made. If he had been a bit more receptive to the possibility that he was, in fact, wrong, this wouldn't have ballooned into the big mess it became. Instead, he has responded by taking his toys away in a huff, and made us out to be the bad guy. Quite childish, actually.
This is why we can't have nice things. Perhaps if we were all just a little bit kinder, more careful with how we worded our thoughts, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Now we have lost lots of valuable insight, and for what? It sucks but that's life I guess.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1923 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »

At the risk of being controversial, I gotta say I agree. And the name calling in the post above yours  was entirely unacceptable.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx