gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:31:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718841 times)
webby
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2007, 12:38:59 AM »

Hi Steve,

Do you remember why you all put the "Woodshop" sounds at the end of "Do It Again"?  From what I understand they were originally recorded to signify rebuilding during the Smile sessions (following "Fire")- did they have any significance at the end of "Do It Again" or was it just random?  (If it was random it is a happy accident because the lyrics to "Do It Again" are about rebuilding too.)

Also, just curious and you may have answered this before, are there more unreleased and unbooted things that we haven't heard yet?

I love this thread - I have a feeling that other people can come up with better questions than me ... so I hope they do so I can keep reading your replies!    Thanks for your time here!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »

Stephen, someone posted a message at the Stephen Desper-pedia that you might want to take a look at:

http://www.smileysmile.net/desperblog/index.php/2005/10/02/title_198

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: January 09, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »

Hi Steve,

Do you remember why you all put the "Woodshop" sounds at the end of "Do It Again"?  From what I understand they were originally recorded to signify rebuilding during the Smile sessions (following "Fire")- did they have any significance at the end of "Do It Again" or was it just random?  (If it was random it is a happy accident because the lyrics to "Do It Again" are about rebuilding too.) Actually I answered this in some detail in previous replys at this thread.  Maybe someone can find it and post it.  Simple answer is that Carl decided to put it there because at the time, it looked as if the Smile project was dead and that those sessions would not be released.  We just wanted to do something with the sounds and stuck it on the end. ~swd

Also, just curious and you may have answered this before, are there more unreleased and unbooted things that we haven't heard yet?  Yes.  Lots of stuff.  I'm currently working on a double CD's worth of songs at this time.  We shall see if BRI can become interested enough to release on that label. ~swd

I love this thread - I agree, it is one of the best! ~swd  I have a feeling that other people can come up with better questions than me ... so I hope they do so I can keep reading your replies!    Thanks for your time here!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:36:02 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: January 09, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »

Hi Steve, I hope you're well.

I have some questions for you about monitoring for my, as yet hypothetical, future studio...

I'd love to know your thought/opinions on the best way to go about creating a good monitoring system, on a budget, for tracking, mixing, possibly mastering, "all purpose" I suppose.  I imagine any "control room" that I would be using would not really be acoustically tuned, would probably be a bedroom or something, so I'd set it up on a temporary basis probably, to get the best environment I could.  Any recommendations about signal paths, amplifiers, bi-amping, etc, would be great.  Stand By.  Working up a complete answer in my spare time.  Will post soon. ~swd

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:36:52 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 10, 2007, 10:43:22 AM »

Wow, that'll be an interesting reply! Looking forward to it, Stephen.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: January 10, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »

Hi Steve,

Do you remember why you all put the "Woodshop" sounds at the end of "Do It Again"?  From what I understand they were originally recorded to signify rebuilding during the Smile sessions (following "Fire")- did they have any significance at the end of "Do It Again" or was it just random?  (If it was random it is a happy accident because the lyrics to "Do It Again" are about rebuilding too.) Actually I answered this in some detail in previous replys at this thread.  Maybe someone can find it and post it.  Simple answer is that Carl decided to put it there because at the time, it looked as if the Smile project was dead and that those sessions would not be released.  We just wanted to do something with the sounds and stuck it on the end. ~swd

http://www.smileysmile.net/desperblog/index.php/2005/06/16/title_32

Comment to Bubba Ho-Tep – Dennis recorded his f--k session after the editing of “Do It Again” so it was not a nod to Dennis. (In retrospect, it may have been more appropriate to tack on the f--k session tape to “Do It Again” since he had me back the tape up for an overdub of the same action – doing it (her) again!) As to the woodshop cut: Actually Carl and I spent many hours listening to those “smile” session tapes and could not figure out what the hell to do with the construction sound effects. Finally one of us just tacked it on to the end of “Do It Again” only for the purpose of “getting the sound out to the fans” and justifying the cost of the session, which was on the books at Capitol, to Capitol as a bona fide session expense. Again I say, remember this is a business, the music business.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: January 11, 2007, 05:50:34 AM »

I'm currently working on a double CD's worth of songs at this time.  We shall see if BRI can become interested enough to release on that label.

Hi, Mr.Desper.

Is it possible that you could (at this juncture) whet our appetites with a few of the song titles for that project?

Best wishes,
Ken.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
webby
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 12, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »

Steve thanks for the reply and Charles thanks for the repost.  Wow - a 2 disc set sounds soooo good!  Good luck Steve with that project.
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 14, 2007, 02:15:45 AM »

hi Steve and guys
would anybody be interested in having a look at my website:  www.youarethemusic.net

Brian inspired tunes

its still in progress but any comments welcome as ever

all the best
Mike
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:02:53 PM by mike slattery » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »

Stephen - I know you've mentioned working on an early version of Sail On Sailor in the post Surf's Up period.  Which, if any,  of the So Tough - Carl and the Passions material did you work on before leaving your post as engineer for the albums?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: January 17, 2007, 05:20:18 AM »

I'm not SWD, so apologies for treading on any toes: Dennis' two tracks on CATP were originally from his solo album sessions, and thus engineered by Steve. I think it shows.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »

I'm currently working on a double CD's worth of songs at this time.  We shall see if BRI can become interested enough to release on that label. ~swd[/size][/b]

any info about the 2cd you made. info about the songs. thanks in advance steve
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: January 18, 2007, 06:41:44 AM »

Dear Mr. Desper,

First of all, since this is my first post on this thread, I wanted to express the respect and the admiration that I have for you and your work.

I've recently finished reading this tread: 77 pages of pleasure... And sometimes of frustration! Thanks to an optional subject in my studies (4 hours each week during a year, studying acoustics and many things about "sound" and music in general... It was fascinating) and to my personal readings, I've been able to understand the most important things, but when it gets very technical... I get very lost!  Cheesy

I'm also very interested in the 360Surround matrix device... Is there a way to get one, apart from going to the L.A. shop you've talked about? Thanks!  Smiley

Edit: and any news on the "virtual surround sound versions of Sunflower and Surf's Up" project? I'm not a legal expert, but based on what I've read, the way you wanted to do things seemed pretty legal to me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:57:45 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: January 18, 2007, 07:07:13 AM »

Hi there Steve
I remember reading (this might be incorrect) that in the late 60s/early 70s whilst Brian had his home studio, that he would go in and record songs, playing and singing all the parts, and then after he'd finished get you to erase them. Is this true? If so, were they full songs or just fiddling around, were you ever tempted to have a sneaky copy for yourself?!!! Cheesy
On a technical note, I love your engineering and production work for the Beach Boys, it really makes the songs come alive. I was wondering if you have a minute could you possibly have a quick listen to a couple of my songs to assess them from a production/engineering level, I have a website at; www.myspace.com/brigadiermusic 
but to be honest the streaming sound quality isn't that great there so on
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=630530
it should sound better.
Thanks for your great posts Steve they are always very informative and entertaining!
Cheers
Matt

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 19, 2007, 06:03:22 AM »

Yes.  Lots of stuff.  I'm currently working on a double CD's worth of songs at this time.  We shall see if BRI can become interested enough to release on that label. ~swd

What do you think are the odds of this being released?
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 25, 2007, 12:11:15 AM »

Hi Stephen!

Could you possibly give us a teaser and name some of the tracks that are on the 2 cd compilation that you're working on?  I'm sure I speak for many Beach Boys fan(atic)s when I say that I'd love to see this set become commercially available.  Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Jason Penick

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: February 04, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »

Dear Mr. Desper,

First of all, since this is my first post on this thread, I wanted to express the respect and the admiration that I have for you and your work.

I've recently finished reading this tread: 77 pages of pleasure... And sometimes of frustration! Thanks to an optional subject in my studies (4 hours each week during a year, studying acoustics and many things about "sound" and music in general... It was fascinating) and to my personal readings, I've been able to understand the most important things, but when it gets very technical... I get very lost!  Cheesy

I'm also very interested in the 360Surround matrix device... Is there a way to get one, apart from going to the L.A. shop you've talked about? Thanks!  Smiley

Edit: and any news on the "virtual surround sound versions of Sunflower and Surf's Up" project? I'm not a legal expert, but based on what I've read, the way you wanted to do things seemed pretty legal to me.

COMMENT TO SLOOP JOHN B

To answer your questions in their order,  It's too bad you did not join earlier.  Before I wrote the 77 pages there were around 250 pages of technical comments about recording the Beach Boys in the early form called cabinessece.com. Those pages never made it over to this thread. I think someone has them in a file.  My copies were all lost because of a incomptent computer repair guy who ereased them.   That is when I decided to put many of those thoughts into my book. 

The matrix device was offered for many months to Beach Boy fans.  It is no long available because a commercial device using the topology and formulas of this device is now on the market.  Price is $1200 and it is not that much different  from that device offered as 360Surround, although the internal parts are high grade and it is adjustable.  The sound is almost identical.  Those folks who have one of these devices have a little jewel of a device. If you are interested in the audiophile product send me an email about the details.

I'm about ready to just give away discs made through the matrix, offered as educational examples to people who bought my book and other fans showing interest in the subject.  It becomes more of a study point because the record company does not issue any of these mixes in their final form.  Since no issues include the matrixed sound, to hear it is more of an educational point, or a point in the history of Beach Boy recording.  So I think I'm on safe ground with respect to the law.  The law allows for copeis of songs to be made if they illustrate a particular point about the recording, as a recording.

Good Listening ~Stephen W.Desper
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: February 04, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »

I'm currently working on a double CD's worth of songs at this time.  We shall see if BRI can become interested enough to release on that label. ~swd[/size][/b]

any info about the 2cd you made. info about the songs. thanks in advance steve
  COMMET TO JERION and WEBBY
IT's a concert with all six Beach Boys on the stage.  I mixed the original.  It was never released. Maybe some day . . .
   ~swd
XY
« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »

COMMET TO JERION and WEBBY
IT's a concert with all six Beach Boys on the stage.  I mixed the original.  It was never released. Maybe some day . . .
   ~swd

Sounds good! Was the support act The Flame?
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 05, 2007, 07:05:09 AM »

Wow, fantastic news!  I pray this gets some kind of release!

Mr Desper, do any of the songs performed feature Brian on lead vocals?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: February 05, 2007, 07:08:27 AM »

If Steve mixed it and all six are on stage, it might be the 4/18/80 Spectrum show in Philadelphia.

Setlist was:

1. California Girls
  2. Sloop John B
  3. Darlin'
  4. School Days
  5. In My Room
  6. Do It Again
  7. Little Deuce Coupe
  8. Keepin' The Summer Alive
  9. God Only Knows
10. Good Timin'
11. Some Of Your Love
12. Surfer Girl
13. Goin' On
14. Be True To Your School
15. Catch A Wave
16. Livin' With A Heartache
17. Lady Lynda
18. Disney Girls (Bruce solo)
19. Long Tall Texan
20. Help Me Rhonda
21. Wouldn't It Be Nice
22. Rock And Roll Music
23. I Get Around
24. Surfin' USA

Encore:
25. Good Vibrations
26. Barbara Ann
27. Fun Fun Fun

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 05, 2007, 08:47:37 AM »

I believe Brian did vocals for Sloop John B and part of Surfer Girl (the first verse) on tour around this time.  When I saw them in D.C. without Carl Brian did God Only Knows.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: February 05, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

If Steve mixed it and all six are on stage, it might be the 4/18/80 Spectrum show in Philadelphia.

One problem with that...Dennis wasn't there. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: February 05, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »

Errrrr... good point. Plus it's not long enough for two discs.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 06, 2007, 02:52:15 AM »

I also believed to hear that steve left the boys around 73 because the boys didnt pay him constant. Steve correct me if i am wrong. Any info about this hidden concert ?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx