gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718899 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

We shouldn't forget to thank Wil. C for putting this excellent presentation together for us!

COMMENT:  I'll second that Pixletwin ! 

I found Will C. through his postings on Smileysmile.net. We exchanged emails and then phone calls. I sensed a high degree of character and ability in him, so sight unseen we both entered into a gentleman's agreement to work together on this project. I am an analog engineer and needed someone with digital and Internet expertise and experience. Will C. Music Productions has met every request I've made, and more. Will C. has never said 'no' to any technical request, always found a way around problems, and been a joy to work with. We live 1500 miles apart and have never met. Yet through the miracle of the Internet we have been able to bring you, our fellow Beach Boy fans, something of interest and value. Amazing times we live in !! 

So I'll add my thank you's to Will for all his time, creative input and hard work. 

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

It'll be a week until I am on my computer again on which I'll be able to see it but if it is as good as it sounds/reads then it'll be heaven for me so to speak. I'm an amateur in those kind of things and don't have too much knowledge. I use analog equipement (because I never in my life had a computer with enough power) so I'm sure it'll give me not only a look into pro work but probably also some tipps I could use for my own stuff.
Thanks to Stephen and Will C. !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: August 15, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

It'll be a week until I am on my computer again on which I'll be able to see it but if it is as good as it sounds/reads then it'll be heaven for me so to speak. I'm an amateur in those kind of things and don't have too much knowledge. I use analog equipement (because I never in my life had a computer with enough power) so I'm sure it'll give me not only a look into pro work but probably also some tipps I could use for my own stuff.

COMMENT:
I have been to Hannover, Germany with The Beach Boys giving well-received concerts. That was before AWD Hall was built. Lovely city on the river.   Best,
~swd
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:15:31 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

Could you explain a little how exactly the stereo field was so enhanced? Technically I mean.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »

Could you explain a little how exactly the stereo field was so enhanced? Technically I mean.
COMMENT:  Which song?   ~swd
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »

Just ....thank you, thank you, thank you, gentlemen.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »

that was very enjoyable. thanks to both for doing this. what a treat.  Thumbs Up

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »

I have what could be an odd or mundane question: Given the eccentricities of The Beach Boys, -- especially during the time period during which you worked with them -- can you recall what some of the weirdest moments you've witnessed were?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »

COMMENT:
I have been to Hannover, Germany with The Beach Boys giving well-received concerts. That was before AWD Hall was built. Lovely city on the river.   Best,
~swd

My father once told me a story that he was with a friend of his who happened to be a Beach Boys-fan and that they met (or probably just seen) one of the boys in Hannover in around '68/'69 I believe. My father was never into the BBs and 60s stuff. He had nothing against them but he was more of a country/Rock'n'Roll fan (I got that from him probably) so he didn't remember which Beach Boy it was. I showed him a picture once and he pointed at Bruce and said it might've been him but that was at least 30 years after it happened so....

In 2004 Brian played Smile in Frankfurt and I went there with a friend of mine and my father.

I'm glad the boys were well received then. I think they played from time to time here over the years. Never had a chance to see them though until this year in Berlin.

Anyway, if you'll ever be here again, drop me a line and we'll have a beer or two
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:11:20 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 17, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »

COMMENT:  Which song?   ~swd

On Cool Cool Water, I mean, how is the size or shape of a normal stereo field determined/defined? And how was it that you're able to expand that.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 17, 2012, 02:46:05 AM »

We shouldn't forget to thank Wil. C for putting this excellent presentation together for us!

COMMENT:  I'll second that Pixletwin ! 

I found Will C. through his postings on Smileysmile.net. We exchanged emails and then phone calls. I sensed a high degree of character and ability in him, so sight unseen we both entered into a gentleman's agreement to work together on this project. I am an analog engineer and needed someone with digital and Internet expertise and experience. Will C. Music Productions has met every request I've made, and more. Will C. has never said 'no' to any technical request, always found a way around problems, and been a joy to work with. We live 1500 miles apart and have never met. Yet through the miracle of the Internet we have been able to bring you, our fellow Beach Boy fans, something of interest and value. Amazing times we live in !! 

So I'll add my thank you's to Will for all his time, creative input and hard work. 

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

Thank you so much for this, Stephen. Amazing, amazing work - and very much appreciated.
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »

Very pleased to see that people are still checking this out and chiming in.  And thank you, Mr. Desper, for the kind words!

GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »

It says to email for the password, but the email is "hidden". Am i missing something? Sad

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 17, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

Fishmonk has it right. WOW! A scintillating demonstration of just how far out on the cutting edge the Beach Boys and Mr. Desper were at this point in time. As many of us suspected at the time, Stephen was the band's "secret weapon" in the studio.

And an ear-opening excursion into the matchless vocal blend of the Beach Boys.

This highly edifying collaboration leads to only one logical conclusion: That's Why God Made the Internet. It makes things possible that would never happen otherwise. Thanks to Will C. for his skills in making such a tremendous resource available to us.

Mr. Desper, if there's more sonic material in your archives about "Slip On Through" and that mind-blowing "big cricket" sound, it would be stupendous to have a clip look at that track. Along with so many others.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 17, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »

It says to email for the password, but the email is "hidden". Am i missing something? Sad

It's a litmus test. If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to get there you aren't smart enough to see the studies.

( Tongue)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1165 on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »

It's a litmus test. If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to get there you aren't smart enough to see the studies.

( Tongue)

COMMENT:  It's not a litmus test, it has to do with copyright laws and interpertations. see Guidelines. Viewing may require registration as a member.  I sent info to him.

~swd

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 17, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »

I was just kidding. That is why I posted the smiley. Smiley
SBonilla
« Reply #1167 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »

Fishmonk has it right. WOW! A scintillating demonstration of just how far out on the cutting edge the Beach Boys and Mr. Desper were at this point in time. As many of us suspected at the time, Stephen was the band's "secret weapon" in the studio.

This highly edifying collaboration leads to only one logical conclusion: That's Why God Made the Internet. It makes things possible that would never happen otherwise. Thanks to Will C. for his skills in making such a tremendous resource available to us.

Mr. Desper, if there's more sonic material in your archives about "Slip On Through" and that mind-blowing "big cricket" sound, it would be stupendous to have a clip look at that track. Along with so many others.

The big cricket is the Cowbell Cricket, cousin to the Snare Cricket heard on Do It Again. 
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »

Wow, this is enthralling. Thanks to Will C. for the presentation and Mr. Desper for the amazing work. This is amazing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 17, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »

The big cricket is the Cowbell Cricket, cousin to the Snare Cricket heard on Do It Again. 

really? I've always wondered what that strange noise was.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: August 17, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

COMMENT:  Good Show!   Cool <---- Florida Smiley Face

I would be interested in hearing from you and other fans RE: how you liked the bonus track or comments on how it sounded

~swd
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

I would be interested in hearing from you and other fans RE: how you liked the bonus track or comments on how it sounded

~swd

Personally, I like it better than the released version. It's much richer.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

~swd

I liked it. My overall impression was that it sounded softer and  less compressed than the released version.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 17, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »

~swd

Personally, I like it better than the released version. It's much richer.

I agree. It sort of takes the "cheese" out of it, if that makes any sense.

As for the CCW study video, I don't think I could begin to express my gratitude towards Mr. Desper and Will C. for putting this beautiful (both visually and aurally) presentation together.  Among all the awesome separated parts we get to hear, just hearing CCW in it's intended form was amazing... and the color-coded lyric video at the end was just the icing on the cake for me.  Well done both of you!

Side note: Mr. Desper, you make reference to your book "Recording The Beach Boys" quite often on this board.  Is it still possible to purchase a copy of this somehow?

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

Mr. Desper: It seemed to my ears (not on the best equipment at the time, alas...) that the reprocessing improved the sound balance in the verses and made them more sonically compatible with the chorus. And since that's been (for me, at any rate) one of the drawbacks in the released version, such an achievement is considerable. Such a version, if it were to be released in that form, would (IMO) move TWGMTR up the ladder a good bit in the BB's song pantheon.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx