gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:50:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 722647 times)
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »

Good Morning Stephen,

We met in January 1979 on the Queen Mary at Long Beach at the first BBFC convention.
You talked very seriously about Dennis Quad Symphony and Cabinessence.
I'll remember forever that  meeting.

Celticsurfer from France
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 13, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »

I think it'd be fascinating to have WAVS of the multitracks for Cool, Cool Water.

Well, that's nice, but it ain't gonna happen 'round here.

I cry myself to sleep every night because of that.

A discipline daddy.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1302 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »

I think it'd be fascinating to have WAVS of the multitracks for Cool, Cool Water.

COMMENT:

The audio bitrate on VIMEO is 320kbit/s.  The audio bitrate on YouTube is 192kbit/s.

Reference (see third chart)  >>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_services

You can thank Will C. for insisting we use VIMEO, even though it is not free like YouTube, because of the higher resolution for both video and audio. The audio chain used for these study-videos is of audiophile quality with processing done by professional grade equipment, better than most people have in their homes or studios. The source of the Study-Videos is usually 16/41 resolution or standard Redbook CD resolution. I have heard the HD issues of some BB releases. For all the trouble to hear the HD tracks, the difference between CD and HD for the type of music the Beach Boys release is very minor. Certainly, I would rather listen to an MP3 (limited fidelity) version that has been resolved using the Matrix and Wavefront Restoration device than to hear the same song in HD. I have done A/B comparisons between the processed audio and the audio coming off of VIMEO through my HP computer. In those listening comparisons, using $1000 Sennheiser headphones or Tannoy Monitors or JBL Monitors or KRK Monitors, I have found no difference that can be heard. Today's digital chain is rather robust, with error correction, multi-path readings and such. I assure you that every effort (we can afford) is being used to maintain the highest sound quality via today's video hosting services.

~swd

Additional Information:   

VIMEO AUDIO

Codec: AAC (Advanced Audio Codec)
VIMEO is using AAC for the audio codec.  (About ACC  >>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding)

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 14, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »

Thank you so much, Mr. Desper, for sharing those study-videos!  I was thoroughly riveted to the CCW breakdown.  Wow!  I always knew that there was a lot going on vocally in that one,  but to hear the stripped-down tracks was a true revelation.  Thanks again!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 14, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

ive tried both passwords and neither work, can someone please give me a clue?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:32:32 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »

Type the words ---------------------- into Word or Google, and then copy and paste that into the password box. Typing those words into the box got me nowhere but when I copy and pasted, I was granted access.

COMMENT:

Sincere thank you's to everyone for all your comments and cooperation.
   ~STEPHEN W. DESPER
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:47:37 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »

Yikes. So sorry. Done. Won't happen again.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: October 14, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »

Yikes. So sorry. Done. Won't happen again.

COMMENT:  Thanks.   All is good, my friend.  ~swd
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 14, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

Type the words ---------------------- into Word or Google, and then copy and paste that into the password box. Typing those words into the box got me nowhere but when I copy and pasted, I was granted access.

Nope, still doesn't work for me. I've tried everything I can think of, I suppose it's just not meant to be. 
It's probably not all that great anyway...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1309 on: October 14, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »

Good Morning Stephen,

We met in January 1979 on the Queen Mary at Long Beach at the first BBFC convention.
You talked very seriously about Dennis Quad Symphony and Cabinessence.
I'll remember forever that  meeting.

Celticsurfer from France

COMMENT:

Bon Jour Celticsurfer,

Did you see the rather touching God Only Knows animation from France?

Bon Shance
  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1310 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:51 AM »

COMMENT:

I appreciate all the feedback arriving in my email box or messages at Smileysmile.net, but please direct any comments about study-videos to this thread.  Thanks . . .
  ~swd
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 15, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »

Bonjour Etienne (Stephen)!

That God only knows dans la foret  little movie is fabulous.
full of emotion. the author has understood very well the magic of that masterpiece.

Thanx for your kind answer.

Au revoir et a  Bientot

Celticsurfer
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 15, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

Hi Stephen

thanks for the tutorial/mix of 'Heroes...' - amazing stuff

a puzzler:  'Heroes...' contains some of my favourite sections ever of Brian's music but the whole never equals the parts for me

this is for a combination of reasons which I think I could write an essay on when I get time, but the primary one is the lead vocal take which was selected:  I far prefer the take on the 'Cantina' version and i have always wondered why Brian re-did it with so much less passion/forcefulness

others may not agree but I don't think the softer touch sells the song so well

do you have any memories/insight into why the 'Cantina' vox take for the verses was not used..?

thanks
Mke
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Hi Stephen

a puzzler:  'Heroes...' contains some of my favourite sections ever of Brian's music but the whole never equals the parts for me

this is for a combination of reasons which I think I could write an essay on when I get time, but the primary one is the lead vocal take which was selected:  I far prefer the take on the 'Cantina' version and i have always wondered why Brian re-did it with so much less passion/forcefulness

do you have any memories/insight into why the 'Cantina' vox take for the verses was not used..?

thanks
Mke

COMMENT:  ??  "...was not used" -- what do you mean?  The original is 40+ years removed from the reprise version. The original is sung by The Beach Boys; the reprise is sung by Brian's band.  Perhaps in that time Brian himself lost some of his forcefulness due to ageing.  You certainly don't think that two vocal tracks were available at both sessions, do you? . . . with Brian choosing the forceful forty years ago and going with the more mild version for the reprise released on SMiLE.  I guess I don't understand.

Maybe some day I'll "re-master" SMiLE in a studio-video, but for now I'm going with the one I recorded.
      ~swd
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 15, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

Stephen, I believe mike s is referring to the 1966 version that is now known as Heroes and Villains, Part 1 on the Smile Box Set.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:45 AM »

Hi Stephen - I'm talking about the late '66/early '67 mix with the 'in the cantina' section and also the Brian/Mike shared leads on the new box set - the 1966 leads by Brian are different takes to the released 45

have a listen to the 'cantina' mix - the lead is sung much more forcefully by Brian

Hi Stephen

thanks
Mke

COMMENT:  ??  "...was not used" -- what do you mean?  The original is 40+ years removed from the reprise version. The original is sung by The Beach Boys; the reprise is sung by Brian's band.  Perhaps in that time Brian himself lost some of his forcefulness due to ageing.  You certainly don't think that two vocal tracks were available at both sessions, do you? . . . with Brian choosing the forceful forty years ago and going with the more mild version for the reprise released on SMiLE.  I guess I don't understand.

Maybe some day I'll "re-master" SMiLE in a studio-video, but for now I'm going with the one I recorded.
      ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1316 on: October 16, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »

Hi Stephen - I'm talking about the late '66/early '67 mix with the 'in the cantina' section and also the Brian/Mike shared leads on the new box set - the 1966 leads by Brian are different takes to the released 45

have a listen to the 'cantina' mix - the lead is sung much more forcefully by Brian

COMMENT:

LOOK, I'm certain every fan has their favorites from the large harmonic treasure chest given to us. I did not wish to offend anyone by offering an engineering study of one selection which is not in keeping with the preference one fan may have. I respect each person's choice, but I cannot take into consideration all forms and varieties including every diversity of expression captured throughout the fifty years of this band's recording history.

This reminds me of the fellow who's wife gave him two ties for Christmas. That night he dressed for their holiday dinner. When he appeared at the dinner table, his wife took one look at him and ask, "What?! You didn't like the other tie I gave you?"

Since I'm an engineer, these study-videos are engineering based, not delineations concerning musical style or historical relevance. I am aging. My memories of working with this group are fading and my hearing is declining. I think history is well served if I take the time, while I can, to express myself and my experiences through a modern form that captures best the recollections of my roll in these songs, with gratitude to Will for his help. However, I make these study-videos for my own enjoyment -- sort of a hobby -- buying time on Vimeo so the rest of you can come along for the ride. So quit gripping and enjoy what you get for what it is.

On a personal note, I don't care for the Cantina insert. I think it interrupts the flow of the song. Other's may say it adds contrast or interest, but for me it's just a thorn in an otherwise beautiful flower. I don't think the forceful Brian solo is worth the interruption. But that's my artistic viewpoint -- and you have yours. There is no right nor wrong in the arts, only preference.

You ask why the Cantina version was not used . . . for the 45 version (I guess). The powers at Capital thought it had more commercial appeal without it. This is the music business. The Cantina insert takes HAV into a more idealized idiom, better suited to the SMiLE-fleuve, which as we all know, was to come along later. As for the differences in Brian's delivery . . . don't know. Maybe your future essey will enlighten us all. Good luck with that.

~swd
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »

Good stuff. We are very fortunate to have Stephen here with us on SS.net. Kudos to all involved in bringing us this project.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

Hi Stephen thanks very much for the reply.

I'm not griping - I love the music and I love your Vimeo presentatiions.  You have done amazing work with The beach Boys.

My question was specifically about the lead vocals on the verses and why they were re-done.  I would love to know but I think the answer is probably lost to history, I certainly couldn't shed any light unless I was able to interview Brian.

I do like the Cantina section but I don't like the OD'd laughter - however I know that a lot of people do.  The piano track for Cantina is lovely.

The reason I want to know as much as I can about the music is because I think its genius.  Your engineering on 'This Whole World' is genius.

cheers
Mike

COMMENT:

LOOK, I'm certain every fan has their favorites from the large harmonic treasure chest given to us. I did not wish to offend anyone by offering an engineering study of one selection which is not in keeping with the preference one fan may have. I respect each person's choice, but I cannot take into consideration all forms and varieties including every diversity of expression captured throughout the fifty years of this band's recording history.

This reminds me of the fellow who's wife gave him two ties for Christmas. That night he dressed for their holiday dinner. When he appeared at the dinner table, his wife took one look at him and ask, "What?! You didn't like the other tie I gave you?"

Since I'm an engineer, these study-videos are engineering based, not delineations concerning musical style or historical relevance. I am aging. My memories of working with this group are fading and my hearing is declining. I think history is well served if I take the time, while I can, to express myself and my experiences through a modern form that captures best the recollections of my roll in these songs, with gratitude to Will for his help. However, I make these study-videos for my own enjoyment -- sort of a hobby -- buying time on Vimeo so the rest of you can come along for the ride. So quit gripping and enjoy what you get for what it is.

On a personal note, I don't care for the Cantina insert. I think it interrupts the flow of the song. Other's may say it adds contrast or interest, but for me it's just a thorn in an otherwise beautiful flower. I don't think the forceful Brian solo is worth the interruption. But that's my artistic viewpoint -- and you have yours. There is no right nor wrong in the arts, only preference.

You ask why the Cantina version was not used . . . for the 45 version (I guess). The powers at Capital thought it had more commercial appeal without it. This is the music business. The Cantina insert takes HAV into a more idealized idiom, better suited to the SMiLE-fleuve, which as we all know, was to come along later. As for the differences in Brian's delivery . . . don't know. Maybe your future essey will enlighten us all. Good luck with that.

~swd

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:43:31 AM by mike s » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1319 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

Heroes & Villain:

Good God, the vocals sound so fresh and clear! Makes you appreciate it even more. What an arrangement! I'm really blown away by this video. Thanks Stephen and Will C.!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1320 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »

Hi Stephen thanks very much for the reply.

I'm not gripng - I love the music and I love your Vimeo presentatiions.  You have done amazing work with The beach Boys.

My question was specifically about the lead vocals on the verses and why they were re-done.  I would love to know but I think the answer is probably lost to history, I certainly couldn't shed any light unless I was able to interview Brian.

I do like the Cantina section but I don't like the OD'd laughter - however I know that a lot of people do.  The piano track for Cantina is lovely.

The reason I want to know as much as I can about the music is because I think its genius.  Your engineering on 'This Whole World' is genius.

cheers
Mike

COMMENT:

Well I'm glad we got that clarified.

I have no idea why Brian replaced or went with the lead vocal he did. You know he replaced the entire lead Til I Die with another. Not just resigning it, but all new words.  Someone once said there was a bootleg out there with the original words. If that is the case it would have to have been an acetate cut made early-on, because when he announced that he was replacing the first vocal, Carl was shocked. We tried and tried to talk him out of it, but he would have nothing less -- and I could not save the original because there were no open tracks left on the multi-track. I had to erase the first vocal and re-record with the new one. Nobody really thought it to be as good as the original, even the performance wasn't as good, but he's the boss and you do as the boss wishes. So off it went and on with the new. Why Brian does what he does is sometimes an enigma -- I think that is one of the traits of being a genius.

I have often said the I have erased more Brian Wilson leads then I've recorded, so with respect to HAV, it's just part of the process.

It reminds me of the story, or should I say, the reputation that Picasso had -- and was barred from several museums for this habit -- in that he would visit a museum displaying one of his works, take out paint and a brush and proceed to change the painting. Some paintings he attacked were worth six figures, approaching seven, but he didn't care. He thought he could improve his work and felt he should . . . right on the spot. Well you can't go back and change a released record, but you can bring out a reprise -- and like Picasso, Brian does just that. The frustrated artist who is never completely satisfied. Alan Jardine is such a producer, right up to the last minute, never quite finished. I guess that's why there is a "modify" button up there on the right-side of this window, to make after-the-fact changes. I've used it and I'm glad it's there. A digital erasure. Like second editions of books sometimes have changes over the first edition, improvements in the producer's eye make for newer versions. Such is the creative mind. Even GOD makes changes.  "So the LORD relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people. (Exod. 32:11-14). "Relented" means to change, to become more lenient or to soften in attitude or temper. And Thank God for the concept of change. What a bore this place would be if everything remained the same.  ~ Ch, Ch, Ch, Changes . . .
    swd

mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 16, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

thanks Stephen

well I can only guess but I think the decision to re-do the 'heroes...' vox was probably artistic, unless it was because you guys had to finish it off at the house rather than the studio..?  is it possible he just couldn't get hold of the earlier takes on the day he needed them..?  actually I'm going from memory that the lead on the 45 was recorded at the house but is that right - can you remember where that lead was done..?

has any single song ever had so many brilliant ideas written and recorded for it..?  its fantastic and also frustrating because so many of us want to make a huge sprawling mix of our own but just can't use all the bits, there are too many

I'm working on one now with the thought that I might have the main tune and then maybe two reprises so more sections can be used - we're iucky to have the box set with all the parts in great quality so we can have a go at splicing

I usually have Barnyard at the end but have just managed to edit it going into the fast 'my children' verse from the Cantina version, so the change between the two sections goes Ab >> Db which works well if you layer it in carefully - this means you can have Barnyard right after the opening verses which is really interesting and gives a very different take on the tune

The Picasso story is hilarious Smiley

cheers
Mike

adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 17, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »

Your two videos were truly a revelation, thank you.

I can't pretend to have any knowledge at all of how music is transferred from soul to tape, but that's what's happening here, it really is an education.

As a fan who obsesses about 'lost' this and that, it's like all your nightmares come at once to know perhaps an even 'better' 'Til I Die once existed!! How is that possible?! Huh A fascinating story though,  huge thanks once again.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Just listened to your Heroes and Villains re-master and the results are really astounding! The vocals are much more full-bodied and life-like with a very nice midrange presence. It's far superior to any other version I've heard. Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent!

Would you mind giving some insight into how you achieved these amazing results? What hardware devices or software did you use?

Best,
Gregg
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: October 17, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Just listened to your Heroes and Villains re-master and the results are really astounding! The vocals are much more full-bodied and life-like with a very nice midrange presence. It's far superior to any other version I've heard. Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent!

Would you mind giving some insight into how you achieved these amazing results? What hardware devices or software did you use?

Best,
Gregg

COMMENT:

Thank you for you compliments.

Hardware used is just the proprietary analog equipment show at the CCW study-video and its proper use.

I should add . . . plus the careful transfer of my work back onto VIMEO by Will C. Productions.

~swd
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx