gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718497 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1075 on: October 28, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

Hey Stephen,

Are you using a new internet browser or some different settings then last time? Nothing has changed on the board, and both the quick reply and regular reply look exactly the same to me as it did for the last few years.

Take care

COMMENT TO JONAS:

Works OK with my old computer running Windows 98se, but keeps reverting to "center" (as described by HOLLAND, below) when using Windows 7 on a new HP Laptop with plenty of computing power

~swd
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:37:23 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: October 28, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »

I think I understand Stephen's problem. As I'm probably having the same problem for a while on my home PC. It might be a setting on the PC itself, but I don't know how to change those settings right away.

What happens is that, if one starts typing so much text that it doesn't fit within the frame (and you have to scroll to read your writings) the text starts to center vertically. One can see 10 lines within this frame. So if - for instance - you have typed down 20 lines, you don't see the top 5 and lower 5 lines of text. You can scroll down, but type one letter and automatically teh text centers again (and you don't see what you're typing.

(does anyone understand at all what I mean now  Roll Eyes  )

I assume there's an easy solution for this, but I wouldn't know how to fix it.

O, and welcome back, Steve!

COMMENT TO HOLLAND:   You described the anomaly correctly! This is exactly what is happening. It appears to be some problem relative to WINDOWS 7.     ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: October 28, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

thanks for thorough info!  I am looking forward to the recording the beach boys book when you have it available … I missed out on the original edition! 

The teac 80-8 has a something of a mushy head bump as well; the ampex actually tightens it up a bit when mixing down.   I do a lot of ping pong (bouncing) as well, so it can become an issue without low cutting everything or keeping tape levels fairly low.

I’m gonna take your advice and go for the 3M … my neighbor has an M23 for sale but its in another state, so getting it over here to Austin, TX is not gonna be an easy task, but I think we’ll be able to get it together!

have you seen this you tube clip?  its a capitol promo for "i can hear music" ... if you watch closely, you can see yourself manning the board while the M23 spins tape in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOsX5g1Gho&feature=related

COMMENT TO DONNYL:

That was fun to watch --- a big thanks!!
  ~swd
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

I think I understand Stephen's problem. As I'm probably having the same problem for a while on my home PC. It might be a setting on the PC itself, but I don't know how to change those settings right away.

What happens is that, if one starts typing so much text that it doesn't fit within the frame (and you have to scroll to read your writings) the text starts to center vertically. One can see 10 lines within this frame. So if - for instance - you have typed down 20 lines, you don't see the top 5 and lower 5 lines of text. You can scroll down, but type one letter and automatically teh text centers again (and you don't see what you're typing.

(does anyone understand at all what I mean now  Roll Eyes  )

I assume there's an easy solution for this, but I wouldn't know how to fix it.

O, and welcome back, Steve!

COMMENT TO HOLLAND:   You described the anomaly correctly! This is exactly what is happening. It appears to be some problem relative to WINDOWS 7.     ~swd
It used to be the same with Windows Vista. Now it seems to better, though. Long posts I usually write in Word and copy-paste them to the board.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1079 on: October 28, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »

The quality of that tape is a bit rough - I know a chunk of that film was used in American Band in better quality, but I don't have that in front of me! Anyway, here are a few screenshots of interest to this thread...and referring to the "Brian's Home Studio" thread from a few weeks ago, this film is a great document of that setup. Lots o' Neumanns on that session!

At 1:28, look to the right of the frame and there is Brian's famous Baldwin Theater Organ, the same white one that survived the Hawaii trip and the Smiley sessions...

A familiar face on the job...

And I'm sure the answer is already posted here and my apologies for being too lazy to scroll through, but what kind of board was this shown in the clip?

COMMENT TO GUITARFOOL2002:

Your ability to isolate shots is impressive.

The first photo is taken in a very crowded Home Studio at Brian's house. I would say this was on a day when Brian was doing tracking and producing vocals. I say that because the vocal mic is so close to the organ. Not necessarily the best placement, but Brian would wait on no one. When his creative juices flowed, you just tried to get setup ASAP so as not to miss any note or get in his creative way. Since the Lesley Speaker was typically behind the Baldwin Organ player -- and just out of the shot -- I must have pulled the mic off the Lesley and quickly put up a vocal setup (without baffles) to keep up with Brian.

The second photo is, as best as I can figure, taken from the House Studio control room with me looking down at the studio through the little observation window between the console and 8 track 3M. The photographer is standing behind a set of Quad-8/Electrodyne consoles -- typical setup. I still have that lamp.  In this photo and more in the third photo you can see the talk-back mic -- an EV dynamic. In the video is a reverse shot of this angle with the mic shown and me looking back and forth between the 3M and the console.

The third photo is looking across the consoles used in the Home Studio. The dead giveaway is the split down the midline of wood. These consoles were ten I/O channels each, so two - side by side - were twenty. The I/O modules look like electrodyne, which is correct. I can see the window, with reflections, in the correct place. The person sitting next to me looks like a Wilson, perhaps Carl, with the bracelet on his arm. I usually sat next to the window and 3M with the guest or BB to my left. You can also see the outline of the edge of the 3M machine right next to my chin and glasses.

The YouTube video is a compilation of shots from the studio and on the road. How many days it represents -- who knows. Sometimes Bruce has a moustache and sometimes a clean face. Some vocal shots are with everyone waring sweaters and other shots are with Mike or Dennis without shirts -- so editing must have been collected over several seasons. In another shot you can see Mike's mic, an RCA ribbon. The "Studio" name was added to the studio door in the house, at a late date -- almost near the end of the studio's life. The shot of Alan looking out a window and then closing the shutters is actually the guest bedroom window that looked down onto the entry foyer at Brian's House. This was the bedroom I stayed in many nights (with my Dalmatian dog) when sessions ran late. It was next to Brian's bedroom. Marlyn and the girls stayed further down the hall. Brian's bedroom was over the studio so he could hear what was going on through the floor, while still in bed.

Thanks for the trip back in time.

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

P.S.  ATTENTION JONAS:

I typed this on a computer using Windows 98se without any problems. I think the "centering" problem is with Windows 7.

~swd

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:13:27 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: October 28, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »

-
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:17:20 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »

Mr. Desper, I've used Windows XP (SP3), Vista, and Windows 7, and the text scrolling problem persists in all three operating systems. After awhile you lose sight of what you're typing as it seems to run out of space in the text box and you have to move down below the text box and adjust it manually. Kinduva pain in the neck.

Thanks for recounting how the studio equipment and the layout of Brian's house wiith the studio and bedrooms. Interesting stuff! 

Any update concerning the progress or release of your "Recording The Beach Boys" book?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 30, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »

Great to have Stephen Desper back!

I experience the irritating "re-centering with long posts" problem when using Windows 7, but the problem does not occur when I use my Mac. 

A few times, when using Windows 7, this re-centering was so irritating that I copied what I had typed, pasted it into Word, finished my post, then re-pasted it back into the comment box.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »

Since Steve is the first person to bring this to my attention, I will ask here:  Steve, what browser are you using?

Anyone else who is suffering from this problem: what browser are you using?

For instance, I'm using Chrome, and I don't ever see this happening.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: October 30, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »

Now I am using IE9.

peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots...

Still not happening.  Let me try Firefox.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: October 30, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »

Now Firefox...

What's going on

What's going on

What's going on

What's going on

What's going on

What's going on

What's going on

Still not happening.   All three times, the box stayed focused on what I was typing.  Windows 7, three different browsers.  So I am at this time unable to duplicate the problem.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 30, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

There's a problem, Chuck.   I simulate it on 3 different Windows operating systems.  'Course I don't use Firefox, but still.......

I wouldn't say anything unless I saw a problem. Sending a P.M. is pretty irritating when you have a lot to say or respond and I commented on it to someone behind the scenes, but now I see somebody else sees the issue.

XP SP3 IE 9 at work, Windows 7 IE 10 at home, Vista IE 9 at the girlfriend's house. No Chromers.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:46:07 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: October 30, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »

XP SP3 IE 9 at work, Windows 7 IE 10 at home, Vista IE 9 at the girlfriend's house. No Chromers.

IE 9 can't be installed on Windows XP; IE 10 doesn't exist yet.

I've been told by someone else they see it using IE 8.   I think I have IE 8 on my work computer, I will have to take a look Monday.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 30, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »

Sorry - I take that back. I'm using IE 6.0.2900.5512 with XP SP3 at work and the problem's happening.

I'm currently using IE 10 with Windows 7 at home. Recently upgraded from IE 9 and the problem was happening with that browser version before the upgrade.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

I'm using IE 7 right now, and it's not happening for me. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 30, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »

Chuck, you know what the exact problem is that we're describing here, correct? I wouldn't lie to you - you'll have to trust me. I'm trying to help you resolve a minor inconvenience here to a board that's already the best BB message board on the net.

It's very easy for me to simulate. Just try and type too much in the box and pretty soon you can't view what you're typing. It will let you type the last sentences in your message but you can't see it - it's almost like there's a limit you're allowed to type in the text box and it bounces up every time you try to add more. To avoid dealing with it, I try to keep my posts short (which is maybe a good thing).  Smiley  

Edit: Just tried it at a friend's house using Vista with IE 8 and it's happening.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:01:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »

It seems to be mainly if not solely related to Internet Explorer 8.   My suggestion would be to view this board in compatibility mode and see if that fixes it.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »

Since Steve is the first person to bring this to my attention, I will ask here:  Steve, what browser are you using?

Anyone else who is suffering from this problem: what browser are you using?

For instance, I'm using Chrome, and I don't ever see this happening.

COMMENT TO COMICLIST:

On the computer where the problem manafests itself, I am using Windows Internet Explorer, version 8.00.7600.16671, under Windows 7.

On another computer I am using Windows Internet Explorer, version 5, under Windows 98se. Most of what I have posted on Smiley Smile Message Board was done with this computer.  Windows 98se is IMO the best Operating System of them all, as long as you don't connect to the web. Using an IBM ---there it just started jumping around and I can not see what I'm typing -- On the IBM thinkpad, suing 98se, I ran two comjpanieys, wrote three patents, dozs of manuals, many artilles, -- you know i have no idea what I'm typing -- etc. I have found that beyond 98se, things just got more limited and complex. as to IE8, 98se onloy will support IE5 which works just fine. ... 
~swd
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »

Stephen, for IE 8, use compatibility mode, it will fix the problem you are seeing.

I'm happy but surprised to hear this board looks okay at all in IE 5.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

Don't know where you get your information, but I'm still seeing the problem in IE 6, 8, and 9.  Shouldn't have to switch to Compatibiliy mode for this textbox issue.

Windows 7.  The best operating system Microsoft has released so far.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »

Don't know where you get your information, but I'm still seeing the problem in IE 6, 8, and 9.  Shouldn't have to switch to Compatibility mode for this textbox issue.

Comment to Mikie:  Yea, Windows 7 isn't bad at all. It's just that I grew up with 95 & 98 and know all it's in's and out's. One thing I don't like about Windows 7 is that sometimes (more often than I want) Microsoft will grab the operating system to do some downloading of improvements -- and you just have to wait and sit there until they are finished. Or you want to shut the computer down and can't because Microsoft is installing this or that -- and you don't dare turn your computer off for fear of it self-distructing.  Windows 98se is now so old that hackers don't seem to be writing viruses for it. I don't like Windows 7 new Paint program. Reinstalled old one to Windows 7. Still using WORD 2000. Much better than any of the new versions of WORD, IMHO.  Only problem with using the older version is that it is not forward compatible with new WORD version. Margins are different when trying to print from one using the other.   ~swd
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1096 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »

Don't know where you get your information, but I'm still seeing the problem in IE 6, 8, and 9.  Shouldn't have to switch to Compatibility mode for this textbox issue.

One thing I don't like about Windows 7 is that sometimes (more often than I want) Microsoft will grab the operating system to do some downloading of improvements -- and you just have to wait and sit there until they are finished. Or you want to shut the computer down and can't because Microsoft is installing this or that -- and you don't dare turn your computer off for fear of it self-distructing.   ~swd

I just wanted to chime in here and say that this is my frustration as well with Microsoft in general, and I'm not running Windows 7, although I'll have to if I decide to get a laptop soon. And it's not just Windows or Microsoft...I had a *major* issue over the past month or so where my drives were filling up and I was getting slow performance and warnings that my memory was almost used up. And it was for no logical reason.

It turned out, after trying several solutions and external storage and all of that to no avail and continued filling-up of my drives, that an earlier version of my Antivirus was not only downloading but also storing and archiving any update that was issued in the past 4 years! This amounted to close to 40 gigs of hard drive space, and it was happening without me knowing it, and going into hidden folders. I solved that problem by "updating" the antivirus program and instantly all that memory was freed up. Unreal - this was frustrating because like the Microsoft auto-updating it was going on in the background and I had no control over it.

Now my latest browser update included an antivirus program which I seemingly cannot remove at all. This is frustrating, and this automatic updating deal seems to be an issue for many others as well.

Sorry to jump in with this, but I thought it was relevant to the discussion! What I really wanted to ask was about a certain guitar sound on an early "Cool Cool Water" track...  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 02, 2010, 10:21:08 AM »

Steve, just turn off the automatic updates in Windows 7 and you're dancing. It runs smoothly on 2 gigs of system RAM but mutitasking w/apps, 4 G of RAM is recommended. You're still doing fine with Word/Office 2000!

Worst thing about Win 95/98/98SE was the "Blue Screen of Death". Crashed and burned with no recovery possible.

I just trotted out your "Recording With The Beach Boys" book the other day to show my cousin who's also a big Beach Boys fan and he wants a copy. I told him he couldn't have my only copy but to wait for your update.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1098 on: November 02, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

COMMENT TO GUITARFOOL2002:

You Said, "Now my latest browser update included an antivirus program which I seemingly cannot remove at all. This is frustrating, and this automatic updating deal seems to be an issue for many others as well."

I recently had one of those virus types get into my computer that keeps asking you to install its many features concerning making your computer run smoother. Problem is, you can't delete it because it copies itself in other places. Every time you try to get rid of the damn thing it digs its claws deeper into your computer. Tired of taking my machine to CompUSA and paying $120 to get it removed, and also after a good friend got the same virus, I decided to buy my own removal program. Searching the web I found several, but the following program got good independent reviews. So I bought it. It is called "Final Uninstaller" by Digital River  ... try [ http://finaluninstaller.com ]. It's licensed to install on three computers. Shared one install with my friend and installed to my HP.  It not only uninstalls programs that may not even appear on "install/uninstall" from the control panel, but it also has a fragment section that goes after "remnants" of uninstalled programs, thus removing all the unnecessary crap that is missed by conventional removal techniques. It did remove the virus that my virus checker (CA) missed. It removed the same one and another one from my friend's laptop. It also removed many junk remnant files that were just taking up room. The cost was $37.00 and well worth it when you spread across three computers!!  Much cheaper and more effective than CompUSA (who are good guys too). I've had the program for several months. It updates itself and runs without any problems. I recommend it. 

Cool Cool Water?
  ~swd

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: November 02, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

Steve, just turn off the automatic updates in Windows 7 and you're dancing. It runs smoothly on 2 gigs of system RAM but mutitasking w/apps, 4 G of RAM is recommended. You're still doing fine with Word/Office 2000!

Worst thing about Win 95/98/98SE was the "Blue Screen of Death". Crashed and burned with no recovery possible.

I just trotted out your "Recording With The Beach Boys" book the other day to show my cousin who's also a big Beach Boys fan and he wants a copy. I told him he couldn't have my only copy but to wait for your update.

COMMENT TO MIKIE:

Thanks for the tip. I know about tuning updates off, but decided to leave it ON because I'm not very good at updating myself. Sometimes I forget and several months later there are many just waiting in the wings. So decided to leave ON, but wish Microsoft would prompt you first rather than just taking over your system.

In fifteen years of operation I have not experienced "The Blue Screen of Death." However, I run that computer with two harddrives running side by side in case anything fails. At least I know I have it covered.

My security system had to be replaced. I'm taking time away from editing the book to install a new system.

Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx