gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 08:27:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Bambu all that great??  (Read 17313 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »

So, I've had the reissued Pacific Ocean Blue, with the Bambu tracks on the second disc, and I gotta say, I don't think Bambu comes anywhere close to Pacific Ocean Blue. There is definitely nothing that comes close to the majesty of "River Song" or "Farewell My Friend", and I don't think anything rocks like "What's Wrong" or "Friday Night".

But anyways, am I approaching the material wrong or something? Because it's kinda starting to become clear to me that maybe the reason it wasn't put out was because Dennis knew what he had with that album wasn't really up to par. He had a few great songs, like "Love Surrounds Me", "Love Remember Me", and "Baby Blue". And obviously, two of those three, were released in Dennis' lifetime. I really think that many of the songs weren't really fully formed, a lot of little pieces, but I don't think they sounded coherent together, unlike, say, SMiLE, which had many parts, but I don't feel was disjointed. The only song I really felt that kinda thing worked with was the "Album Tag Song". And while I'm at it, what's up with that title? So was that supposed to be the final song, or a section of another song? Just seems odd. But I think its a really powerful song. And by the way, wasn't this Dennis' last released vocal. It was from '79 or '80 right?

So yeah, feel free to disagree with me, I hope to hear this album in a different way.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »

I remember reading that Album Tag Song was recorded during the POB sessions. Possibly meant to come after End Of The Show I think it was.

I really like a lot of the stuff on disc 2 of POB. He's A Bum, Under The Moonlight, Time For Bed, Wild Situation, School Girl.

That stuff kicks, but in a different way.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »

Ok, I'm just going to come right out and say it. Bambu is so good it makes Pacific Ocean Blue stink. Grin I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Bambu had been finished in 1978-79, it would have been one of the great albums of the 1970's.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »

I agree it's pretty different from 'Pacific Ocean Blue', but I think it's potentially just as good ... but it doesn't really seem finished.  Think of all of the outtakes from POB ... he may very well have ended up recording more songs and selecting a set that flowed together differently.  But I do think the material is there and it's just as good in it's own way.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

I think Bambu is utterly and terrifyingly brilliant! If it had been released, I imagine it might have gone down in history as one of rock's great tortured/wrecked epics ala Big Star's 3rd, or John Cale's Helen Of Troy,  or R&L Thompson's Shoot Out The Lights, etc
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:21:46 PM by Erik H » Logged
MBE
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

Of course it's unfinished but the offical release really was excellent. As with Smile it is so good that we now have these two fantastic albums as close to final as they ever will be. If anything made me love the music that much more were these two releases.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

Big Star's 3rd (Sister Lovers) is basically unfinished and it's rightly hailed as a classic. Hopefully Bambu will be too someday.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:12:58 AM »

Big Star's 3rd (Sister Lovers) is basically unfinished and it's rightly hailed as a classic. Hopefully Bambu will be too someday.
I just looked up those three albums you mentioned above, and ater reading about them I'm rather curios. Do you have any more examples of "tortured/wrecked epics"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Nice to hear I've sparked some curiosity!

Hmmmm, lemme thing.....

Richard & Linda Thompson's "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" might be a better fit than Shoot Out The Lights, but either will do. I've heard "Moody Blue" by Elvis described as such, also, what's that Randy Newman album??? Hmmm, Lou Reed's "Berlin" certainly fits!
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:28 AM »

But both "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" and "Shoot Out The Lights" by Richard & Linda Thompson were both complete and finished masterpieces in their own right, unlike Big Star 3rd which was compiled by others against Alex Chilton's wishes.
Jason
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »

I don't think we can say with any real certainty if Bambu was/is all that great because it was never finished. Yeah, we may say now that "oh, why didn't Dennis just slap twelve tunes together and call it a day?" but the truth is that Dennis never got to that point due to a little thing called life (and the loss of Brother Studio) getting in the way.

And, let's keep in mind that many of the "Bambu" tracks claimed origins during the POB sessions, and in some cases, even before. Are You Real apparently was based off of a 1975 session for an early version of (I think) 10,000 Years. School Girl and Love Remember Me are POB outtakes. Album Tag is a POB outtake bisected by a 1979 piano/vocal session. The "Piano Variations on Thoughts Of You" is a version of Takin' Off, another POB outtake.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »

Well, whatever the hell it is, it's a masterpiece to my ears.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:10 AM »

But both "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" and "Shoot Out The Lights" by Richard & Linda Thompson were both complete and finished masterpieces in their own right, unlike Big Star 3rd which was compiled by others against Alex Chilton's wishes.

I didn't mean "tortured/wrecked masterpieces" in that they were unfinished, but rather wrecked/tortured as in mood/content. I probably could have worded it better.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »

I just looked up those three albums you mentioned above, and ater reading about them I'm rather curios. Do you have any more examples of "tortured/wrecked epics"?

Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt comes to mind. Mr. Wyatt just broke both his legs and was destined to live his life in a wheelchair, quite the bummer. Cut with the Soft Machine guys and other UK prog alum....its definitely a tortured/wrecked epic

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »

It's not too late is an epic song

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Nicko1234
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »

I agree with the OP in that Bambu doesn't come close to POB. I think there are a number of reasons for that. Dennis's voice was obviously gone, some of Carli Munoz's material stands out like a sore thumb and there is a dated feel to a lot of it for me.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 03:25:38 AM »

No Other by Gene Clark!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »

Bambu isn't close to POB. The lyrics, melodies, production, not on the same level. But then again Dennis wasn't on the same level either, so it's understandable.

If Baby Blue had been on there, it would have helped a lot, but...

And is it me, or is It's Not Too Late a little dull? Carl's vocal is whiny and uninteresting. There. I've said it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:08 AM »

Bambu's worth the price of entry for the first half of Love Remember Me alone. One of my all-time faves. Tug of Love is tremendous. Album Tag Song is set as my wake-up alarm tune.  Had it been finished and released back in the day, I think Dennis's place in rock history would be regarded very differently by the general music listening public. Hey ho, it wasn't to be, but what a treasure trove the POB/Bambu compilers uncovered for us.

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »

Hey ho, it wasn't to be, but what a treasure trove the POB/Bambu compilers uncovered for us.

Oh yes, i agree completely. Despite my negative assessment in my previous post, I am very grateful to have it/hear it. So it's not as good as POB. There's very little in the history of recorded music that is, so it's no fault of the music itself. Dennis just set such high expectations of what was to follow.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:04 AM »

<-------- this idiot is about to tell you something.

When I ordered Pacific Ocean Blue on the internet, I was in a phase of wanting only to own original albums as they were when they were released, refusing to buy albums with even bonus tracks. So I got the non-legacy edition. I've never heard Bambu Sad
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 04:54:11 AM »

<-------- this idiot is about to tell you something.

When I ordered Pacific Ocean Blue on the internet, I was in a phase of wanting only to own original albums as they were when they were released, refusing to buy albums with even bonus tracks. So I got the non-legacy edition. I've never heard Bambu Sad

I bought the 3LP vinyl edition and haven't listened to Bambu yet !!!!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:13 AM »

I think the Bambu disk suffers from bad sequencing. Too many slow songs in quick succession. Try changing the track order, slow song / fast song. The material is there, but not presented in the best order, to me anyway.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »

Tug of Love is tremendous.

Mike's unreleased hot tub video?   Pirate

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »

speaking of Tug Of Love (my favorite song on the whole thing), whats the deal with that weird, gurgly, white soul vocal on the part where Dennis is chanting "feel the pull, feel the pull" and it comes in with "I feel the pull". I accept it b/c I love that song so much, but its so weird and out of place, like someone was joking around
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx