gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680718 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:46:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do we feel about "Never Learn Not to Love"?  (Read 11987 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »

brb, burning my copies of Pet Sounds

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »

I'm just gonna say this right now, Manson himself never killed anyone. Jim Gordon, on the other hand, killed his mother, and he played on Pet Sounds. So if you think "Never Learn Not to Love" can't be listened to because it's a Charles Manson song, well, guess you can't listen to Pet Sounds then either.

Are you being serious here? I get it that you like the song, but don't diminish what Manson did because of that. Manson did shoot Bernard Crowe but he didn't kill him, he thought he had. Manson instigated the murder of 7 people, if he hadn't been captured there is no reason to doubt it wouldn't have been more. Further the Beach Boys song fits in thematically with the killings.

With the Pet Sounds example Jim Gordon killed his mother 17 years after playing on Pet Sounds, you would have to be pretty strange to find any links between his playing, the album and the murder. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »

Further the Beach Boys song fits in thematically with the killings.

With the Pet Sounds example Jim Gordon killed his mother 17 years after playing on Pet Sounds, you would have to be pretty strange to find any links between his playing, the album and the murder. 
alright, this part is where you lost me. Never Learn Not to Love is a little creepy, but it has nothing to do with the killings.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

Further the Beach Boys song fits in thematically with the killings.

alright, this part is where you lost me. Never Learn Not to Love is a little creepy, but it has nothing to do with the killings.

The song was called "Cease to Exist" it's about complete submission and being prepared to die (ceasing to exist) which is what Manson wanted from his followers. They also had a saying along the lines of if you're prepared to die you you should be prepared to kill.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »

Yeah, but he's talking about Never Learn Not To Love, where the line is 'Cease to RESIST, come say you love me....'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »

Yes, Dennis made that change and good on him. As i said before I don't think Dennis had any dark intent, but the songwriter did and the words can be seen as those of a cult leader talking to his followers.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

Manson was singing about ego death, a common enough subject in 60's counterculture.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:45:29 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MBE
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »

I'll say something on Manson. I think he probably is too figuratively if not literally crazy to do a real interview about music that isn't a put on or rambling. Still I bet anything he witnessed some moments with the group that would be of great interest. That said I still have zero respect for the guy and don't think he's "cool" or anything like that. Did he write a few good songs? Yes but that's as far as it goes with me. I still think it's a great Beach Boys record regardless of the background. Also it should be stated again he had NOTHING to do with "Be Still", "All I Want To Do", or "Be With Me".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:36:11 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »

Also it should be stated again he had NOTHING to do with "Be Still", "All I Want To Do", or "Be With Me".

I thought AGD already confirmed Manson's contribution on "Be With Me" in his Complete Guide (and here on this board)?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:14:16 PM by Justin » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »

Long rumoured at the time AGD first wrote the book, totally discredited since.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2011, 02:50:14 AM »

I think Never Learn Not To Love is a fantastic song, regardless of its origins.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »

Long rumoured at the time AGD first wrote the book, totally discredited since.

Very cool...thanks for the update!  Nice to know Manson didn't have a hand on this one..love this track.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »

NLNTL is an OK song at it's core with AMAZING production and vocals/harmony to boot... besides, it pissed Charlie off that he didn't get any royalties from it so that is a good thing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »

Strange thing said by Manson: (by memory) When are you people going to get it through your thick head that I didn't kill anybody? Maybe I didn't kill enough people, maybe that's the problem!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »

Neither did Hitler...
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »

Great song regardless of the origin. Sounds like it would've been perfect for the times.

Btw, I was just watching the Mike Douglas Show performance from '68... and DAMN it's scary how close Dennis sounds to Brian on that last falsetto "ahh" at 1:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0v2bVX8j4
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx