gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:30:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds Album? (1967-1977)
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Carl and the Passions "So Tough"
Holland
15 Big Ones
Love You

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds album? (1967-1977)  (Read 25181 times)
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »

It's interesting to note that with all the crap 20/20 gets, it peaked at #3 in UK, on of the few top 5 albums for the group in UK (PS #2, party #3). So they must have done something right with 20/20.

Oh yes, they did several things right.  Let me list them for ya:

Do It Again
I Can Hear Music
Be With Me
The Nearest Faraway Place
I Went To Sleep
Time To Get Alone
Never Learn Not To Love

and especially...

Our Prayer
Cabinessence

With all those things done right, I can easily forgive a few mistakes...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »

1 Friends
2 Love You
3 Wild Honey
4 Smiley Smile

These first four I could easily put in a different order, they're all great albums, full of charm and originality, rich in character. They all pick me up and take me to a good place. These album show a Beach Boys that weren't competing with anyone but were effortlessly making music that was really different, full of quirky twists. Brian had given up the production race but in doing so he seemed to have invented a new art that was more personal.

I couldn't agree more! Incidentally, Friends and Love You are the two records that have been played the most around here.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »

It's interesting to note that with all the crap 20/20 gets, it peaked at #3 in UK, on of the few top 5 albums for the group in UK (PS #2, party #3). So they must have done something right with 20/20.

Oh yes, they did several things right.  Let me list them for ya:

Do It Again
I Can Hear Music
Be With Me
The Nearest Faraway Place
I Went To Sleep
Time To Get Alone
Never Learn Not To Love

and especially...

Our Prayer
Cabinessence

With all those things done right, I can easily forgive a few mistakes...
i agree Smiley
oldsurferdude
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

Oh yeah I didn't realize BW co-wrote Deidre, that explain alot of it.
Brian wrote like five words of lyrics for Deirdre to get the co-writer credit.

Listen to "We're Together Again".... again.

Seriously?

This is where Brian worship gets ridiculous!

The song (Deirdre) is Bruce's: Bruce sat down at the piano and wrote the damn thing and Brian contributed a few words and Bruce gave him co-writing credit just because. We're Together Again is Brian's song: HE sat down at the piano and wrote it, and it has a chorus and a verse: more than just a few words. When is it OK in The Beach Boys world to give a guy a damn pat on the back for doing something great without having to convince oneself that Brian just HAD to be responsible in some way?

A few words from Brian means it must be genius? Mike wrote tons of words, ALL the words for many songs and he still sucks, right?

It's sooooooooooo silly!
I swear, every time Brian gets interviewed, he has to mention how HE wrote Dierdre. I for one am getting tired of him trying to hone in on Bruce's song.  Razz
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »

Brian's never made any such claim
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »

I would surmise that he was referring to how a certain self proclaimed "Doctor" Love always seems to mention how he wrote the lyrics to "Good Vibrations" or what have you.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »

Oh yeah I didn't realize BW co-wrote Deidre, that explain alot of it.
Brian wrote like five words of lyrics for Deirdre to get the co-writer credit.

Listen to "We're Together Again".... again.

Seriously?

This is where Brian worship gets ridiculous!

The song (Deirdre) is Bruce's: Bruce sat down at the piano and wrote the damn thing and Brian contributed a few words and Bruce gave him co-writing credit just because. We're Together Again is Brian's song: HE sat down at the piano and wrote it, and it has a chorus and a verse: more than just a few words. When is it OK in The Beach Boys world to give a guy a damn pat on the back for doing something great without having to convince oneself that Brian just HAD to be responsible in some way?

A few words from Brian means it must be genius? Mike wrote tons of words, ALL the words for many songs and he still sucks, right?

It's sooooooooooo silly!

Wow, I don't know what you're going on about. I seem to have touched a nerve with you and I'm not sure why. I'm not trying to make a value judgment here or denigrate the relative contributions of any group members... I'm just pointing out that.... "together again" and "tomorrow at ten".... that repeated melodic phrase, clearly is heard in both songs and there is one person listed as a contributor for both tracks. You're free to draw your own conclusions if you wish.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2011, 11:01:46 PM »

A nerve has indeed been touched! As both a Brianista and a Boyista, it's annoying when people try and split hairs to prove that anything good must be somehow due to Brian's magic touch.

Brian is a musical genius but the Beach Boys were awesome and talented too! Big deal!

"So young" .... from the line "The night was so young" is the same melody as the  "write their names" part of the line "who couldn't even write their names" from The Trader. Should we suggest Carl get's co-writer credit on The Night Was So Young???

Such analogies in music would be bottomless if one cared to sniff around.

I really hope Mike isn't reading this or there will be a flurry of new lawsuits for songwriting credit!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »

"together again" and "tomorrow at ten".... that repeated melodic phrase, clearly is heard in both songs and there is one person listed as a contributor for both tracks.

Ron Wilson wrote We're Together Again, not Brian.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

Well, then Ron deserves the credit on Deirdre!
MBE
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »

Marilyn remembered Ron when we talked. Brian simply liked his music and thought he was a nice guy. It's funny how he has never turned up.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2011, 05:49:39 AM »

I would surmise that he was referring to how a certain self proclaimed "Doctor" Love always seems to mention how he wrote the lyrics to "Good Vibrations" or what have you.
Your summation is correct. Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »

Thanks for all the votes everyone--definitely cured my curiosity.

Looks like we all feel the same about "15 Big Ones"!  Wink
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »

but Rock n roll music peaked at #5 in the US? ;

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »

For me, it's gotta be a tie between Surf's Up and Holland. I've never understood the overwhelming love that Sunflower and Friends get. I suppose my time for those albums hasn't come yet.

Edit: This IS aside from SMiLE, of course.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:19:06 AM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »

Of course only very few (if any) hardcore fans are going to select it as their favorite record but personally I think it's underrated. BW did some amazing things on the Moog for 15BO and I really don't mind most of the cover songs. "It's OK", "Had to Phone Ya", "Just Once in My Life", "In the Still of the Night", "Back Home" - all great stuff as far as I'm concerned! Alan and Mike's contributions, however... ugh.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:06 AM »

Of course only very few (if any) hardcore fans are going to select it as their favorite record but personally I think it's underrated. BW did some amazing things on the Moog for 15BO and I really don't mind most of the cover songs. "It's OK", "Had to Phone Ya", "Just Once in My Life", "In the Still of the Night", "Back Home" - all great stuff as far as I'm concerned! Alan and Mike's contributions, however... ugh.
I did enjoy "had to phone ya", "it's o.k." & "just once in my life". Smiley
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »

WHY DO SO MANY BB FANS HATE "BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN" ? :/

This could be it's own thread.  I've wondered this a number of times myself.  It's not a favorite of mine, but I certainly don't dislike it.  Yeah, it's kind of a goofy arrangement.  The lead guitar riffs have not dated well and they seem really out of place against an old classic standard type song.  But the vocals are top notch and the whole thing somehow works.  There are worse songs (IMO) on 20/20.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »

This could be it's own thread.  I've wondered this a number of times myself.  It's not a favorite of mine, but I certainly don't dislike it.  Yeah, it's kind of a goofy arrangement.  The lead guitar riffs have not dated well and they seem really out of place against an old classic standard type song.  But the vocals are top notch and the whole thing somehow works.  There are worse songs (IMO) on 20/20.
I totally agree with you. Smiley..that song is listenable. to be honest i actually like the guitar on it and the vocals and the outro.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »

I don't hate it. But IMO, it's a childish song, and although I usually love loud distorted guitars I just don't think they belong on Beach Boys records.
:/ i'm the only that likes it.

Nope.  Not the only one.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »

I don't hate it. But IMO, it's a childish song, and although I usually love loud distorted guitars I just don't think they belong on Beach Boys records.

Nope.  Not the only one.
u do too? Smiley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »

Nope.  Not the only one.
u do too? Smiley

Bluebirds is an awesome song!  Upbeat!  Great vocals...I just downloaded 20/20 (Friends) for cheapo  $4.99, today.  (I wish it had been paired with Stack-O-Tracks!)

With (sure-to-go-deaf earbuds) I heard it, differently, for the first time today! the guitar parts are fabulous...(Ed Carter) and what sounds like a marimba (xylophone) - the album rocks!  It was a weird time, (post-psychedelic lasting about the same length as disco) music and in the middle of the Woodstock social consciousness, post MLK and RFK murders.  Sort of a transition period...

Do It Again!  The summers of '68 (the single) and '69 (20/20) Charting is irrelevant to me.  But, weird that some songs were hits abroad. 

The impossible poll - Best since Pet Sounds...(one is not enough)  LOL

1. Surfs Up - tie with Holland etal (So Tough)
2. 20/20 (a gem!)
3. Wild Honey (Get a breath of that Country Air, Darlin'!)

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »

Nope.  Not the only one.
u do too? Smiley

Bluebirds is an awesome song!  Upbeat!  Great vocals...I just downloaded 20/20 (Friends) for cheapo  $4.99, today.  (I wish it had been paired with Stack-O-Tracks!)

With (sure-to-go-deaf earbuds) I heard it, differently, for the first time today! the guitar parts are fabulous...(Ed Carter) and what sounds like a marimba (xylophone) - the album rocks!  It was a weird time, (post-psychedelic lasting about the same length as disco) music and in the middle of the Woodstock social consciousness, post MLK and RFK murders.  Sort of a transition period...

Do It Again!  The summers of '68 (the single) and '69 (20/20) Charting is irrelevant to me.  But, weird that some songs were hits abroad. 

2. 20/20 (a gem!)

i agree with everything you just said except "1. surf's up" c'mon now, There aren't any good songs on there besides surf's up and til i die. everything else is ughhhhh :/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »

Nope.  Not the only one.
u do too? Smiley

2. 20/20 (a gem!)

i agree with everything you just said except "1. surf's up" c'mon now, There aren't any good songs on there besides surf's up and til i die. everything else is ughhhhh :/

Oh, well...if we all agreed on everything. t'would be a boring existence...Surf's Up and Til I Die are very fine work...But, I also love Student Demonstration Time (I was a college student at the time) Disney Girls - 1957, a BB concert classic..."darkness goes, and softness shows a changing style..." - the proverbial look in the rear view mirror...

Long Promised Road, Feel Flows...the prophetic Don't Go Near the Water...

Listen to the guitar on "Lookin' at Tomorrow" (never mind the lyrics)  and completely goofy, but also prophetic, Take a load of your Feet...wrinkled like a raisin, if you stay too long in the tub of life!  Wink

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »

Nope.  Not the only one.
u do too? Smiley

2. 20/20 (a gem!)

Now, c'mon, you whippersnapper, listen to Day In The Life (a stunning production and song) Carl songs (Ditto), Disney Girls, and try and be kind to Feet. Lookin' At Tomorrow is in exactly the right place, but doesn't hoe my row, and Don't Go Near The Water is redeemed from boredom by the godly tag and generally fantastic production. Student Demonstration Time can piss off, I don't care how good it sounds.  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx