gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681301 Posts in 27632 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 10:14:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Tour Dates (as they roll out) (*UPDATED, Feb 15th*)  (Read 231627 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: June 22, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »

The Nutty Jerry's date has been pulled from their website, too.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 22, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »

The Nutty Jerry's date has been pulled from their website, too.

They probrbly figured out they have a M&B show.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: June 22, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »

I've seen plenty of odd mistakes with concert promotions, but this is weird. It would be one thing if the website just listed a BB show without any information about the lineup. But there would have to be a pretty big mixup for someone to be told it was specifically the reunion lineup when it wasn't.

There has been a lot of speculation about what the Mike/Bruce show might do. I figured there was a strong liklihood they would do more gigs in the future. I am surprised if they are doing one this quickly after the reunion, though.

Given the amount of media attention given to the reunion, I would wonder if there might be some confusion from ticket buyers if a bunch of Mike/Bruce shows are booked as soon as October.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:56:28 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »

Me thinking about the tour dates everyday

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Cry Cry Cry Cry Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »

My Spanish is rusty, but from the lineup described and the disclaimers, the Chile date is almost certainly the Mike & Bruce band.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: June 23, 2012, 04:32:21 AM »

The Chile date is advertised as Mike & Bruce, out of the 50th tour.
But... it's strange that Brian has decided now that he won't be touring with the band in October. It's too soon to know I think.
But who knows...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: June 23, 2012, 04:57:09 AM »

The Chile date is advertised as Mike & Bruce, out of the 50th tour.
But... it's strange that Brian has decided now that he won't be touring with the band in October. It's too soon to know I think.
But who knows...

Maybe Brian only signed up for a specific duration. Like, the C50 dates.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 23, 2012, 05:04:23 AM »

For how long have those M&B dates been booked now? Are they from before the C50?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 23, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »

Oh the irony!

Al Jardine was sued over the name 'Beach Boys Family and Friends' as it caused confusion with ticket buyers as they thought they were going to a Beach Boys concert.

But for concert goers going to see the Beach Boys in October rather than September there is no such issue. Ok....got it! Huh
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »

For how long have those M&B dates been booked now? Are they from before the C50?

Possibly... but even if they are new bookings, so what ? The article makes it clear that it's not a BB C50 gig.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 23, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »

The game is different now.

Mike and Bruce have every right to tour, but now that they've done the anniversary shows, there is a whirlwind to be reaped. I hope they're prepared,
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

I don't think Mike and Bruce are going to have a bunch of mass walk-outs at gigs because people realize they aren't "reunion" gigs. At the same time, they may run into instances of confusion among venues, concert promoters, and ticket buyers. I don't think if this happens from time to time over the next few months/year, it will kill Mike's tour or anything. But it is ironic that Mike may run into a problem slighlty similar to the reason he had a beef with Al touring in 1999 as "BBFF", where some venus incorrect billed it as the actual BB's.

But there is a big difference here in that Mike has the license to use the name. Keep in mind that although I don't know how long each "license" is in duration (e.g. year to year, or every two years, etc.), but if Brian decided on this tour that afterwards he no longer wanted Mike using the BB name, he could vote to pull the license.

I'd have to believe that within all the negotiations for this reunion tour, they all understood what could or would happen after. I would hope they built it a contingency for more reunion dates if they felt like it. But whatever happens after this tour, it's going to be something all the parties were aware could happen.

The only unknown would have been how much the public would latch on to the idea of a reunion and all of a sudden view the same Mike/Bruce band with skepticism after that band touring for over a decade.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: June 24, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »

I do think that the chances for confusion and controversy increase exponentially if they are doing non-reunion gigs literally within weeks of a reunion gig. Or, even more confusingly, if there are still possible future reunion gigs too and they do Mike/Bruce shows in between. Mike used to do this with his "Endless Summer Band" or whatever it was called in the 80's and 90's, but that was never billed as the BB's.

Bands have fought over use of band names for ages, and we have seen different lineups go out with the same names. But it is rare for a full-fledged reunion for a band to be followed within weeks by a band with the same name but 2/5 of the reunion lineup. Again, though, these are things they must have factored in when doing the reunion.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:02:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 24, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

I don't give it long before a promoter has a C50 logo and/or a group picture including Al, Brian and Dave advertising a Mike and Bruce show.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 24, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »

I think that's exactly what happened with Nutty Jerry's.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:07 AM »

I do think that the chances for confusion and controversy increase exponentially if they are doing non-reunion gigs literally within weeks of a reunion gig.

It's nearly a month later, in a different continent and even now the article makes it clear that Brian won't be there, and that Alan & David very likely won't. Anyone who turns up expecting the full C50 experience totally deserves all the disappointment they're going to get.

Or to be less charitable about it, stupid is as stupid does.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 25, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »

Possibly... but even if they are new bookings, so what ? The article makes it clear that it's not a BB C50 gig.

Right. My point, however, is that they're probably fulfilling previously-agreed contracts and not adding new dates.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 25, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »

No pre-sale for RAH?

Edit: answered in the "UK!!!" thread.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:51:33 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

YEAH! I'm officially attending the concert at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, woo!  Cool Guy

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »

July 15               
Stateline, NV                     
Harvey's Lake Tahoe Amphitheater

anyone who has bought a ticket for this show and it says 7:30pm should know the time has been changed to 7pm. got an email from ticketmaster the 22nd letting me know this. just an fyi for anyone who may not know this after buying a ticket to the show.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »

I do think that the chances for confusion and controversy increase exponentially if they are doing non-reunion gigs literally within weeks of a reunion gig.

It's nearly a month later, in a different continent and even now the article makes it clear that Brian won't be there, and that Alan & David very likely won't. Anyone who turns up expecting the full C50 experience totally deserves all the disappointment they're going to get.

Or to be less charitable about it, stupid is as stupid does.

I'm not saying anybody would have a legitimate reason to be confused. I'm just saying objectively that confusion could occur. Sometimes stupid people book concerts, promote concerts, buy ticket, and attend concerts.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

July 15               
Stateline, NV                     
Harvey's Lake Tahoe Amphitheater

anyone who has bought a ticket for this show and it says 7:30pm should know the time has been changed to 7pm. got an email from ticketmaster the 22nd letting me know this. just an fyi for anyone who may not know this after buying a ticket to the show.

True.  I think the time change may be due to CalSaga opening the show.  You attending?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »

yes...early 15th anniversary trip for angela and i

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 26, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »

what number show is this for you on this tour? This is my 4th on this tour (a last minute addition) but my first trip to Harvey's

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »

Just bought my tickets for Beach Boys in Barcelona!!!!!!  I went to the April 28th show in Atlanta, Ga and now I´m in vacation with my girlfriend in Spain and coincidentally they are playing while we are here haha. 

My girlfriend is Spanish but likes the Beach Boys. She really loves ¨Marcella¨ as do I and has a general appreciation for the Boys even though they´re an American band, etc.  I was just curious what type of things should I be pointing out to her? I kind of want to make it a show and tell type of thing and kind of educate her on the group a bit more. She knows about Brian´s problems so I think she understands that it´s pretty amazing that they guy is even alive, etc.  More than anything, it´s to enjoy good music in an awesome city. I´m interested more than anything just to see how they adapt to a European audience especially when it comes to banter. For example, right before ¨Be True¨Mike makes a quip about people in uniform and refers to the University of Georgia but this time I wonder if he refers to
the University of Barcelona or something. She´s looking forward to it almost more than I am hahah because she knows that I love the group and over the years they have grown on her because they remind her of me.  I know I´ll need to mention David Marks and that Carl and Dennis are dead even though I think she knows that.  Well anyways, a bit of a briefing would be nice because I would like to put the concert and everything in context. I think when it comes to living legends, it helps to put everything in perspective. I never thought about it this way until a few days ago, but a friend here said it´s like going to see the Beatles. . . when you think about it that way it´s pretty amazing. 

On a side note, I also plan on asking her to marry me ^^
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx