gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681351 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 04:22:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 37364 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »

You know what, I probably wouldn't be all for them being total members for the 50th anniversary if David wasn't. And this is nothing against David. I read Jon's book about him and really dig the guy. But my thing is I just don't understand how David Marks should automatically be in the group, but Blondie and Ricky shouldn't. That is it. Both Blondie, Ricky, and David were in the band for a much shorter time than the rest of the members. All three of them are somewhat "forgotten" (or never even noticed) by the public. So my thing is, well, it should be all three, or none of the three. Yes, I understand David was on "Surfin' USA" and "Surfer Girl" and so on, but still, on the same hand I can say Blondie sang the lead on the first song of what is now known as one of their more well known albums. And Ricky played drums on the same crucial album. So there is pluses and minuses for all. But I just don't understand the allegiance to David at the expense of Blondie and Ricky.

I just think by your reasoning Billy Hinsche of Mike Kowalski should be part of this more than David Marks should, since they (possibly to some) played a bigger part for longer to the band.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »

by your reasoning Billy Hinsche of Mike Kowalski should be part of this more than David Marks should, since they (possibly to some) played a bigger part for longer to the band.

But that's ^ only one part of the reasoning — Marks was there from the beginning — before the beginning, growing-up with the Wilsons, learning guitar with Carl, etc. — he signed the original Capitol contract, and played on classic 1960s material that will live forever. 

SOS is a cool tune, but HOLLAND is appreciated by BB aficionados like us who frequent this board — hardly comparable to the legacy of "Surfin Safari", “409”, “Shut Down”, "Surfin USA", "In My Room," "Surfer Girl", "Be True to Your School", and so on.

Some of you guys are not reading closely, being dense, or deliberately trying to take only one element out of context.  It's the sum of the parts that equals the logic behind the decisions being made.  I'm explaining the reasoning at work with the band, Capitol, et al., and yes, I agree with their decisions.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »

As I said before, someone has to play the bass and drums for these gigs. As the only other two living souls inhabiting a planet of roughly 7 billion people that can genuinely say they were once official Beach Boys, I'd say that's as good a reason as any why Blondie and Ricky should be given first refusal.

But looking at it from another perspective, it's probably natural that Brian, Mike etc.. would feel more inclined to use parts of their current respective rhythm sections then people they haven't performed with for nearly 40 years.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »

it's probably natural that Brian, Mike etc.. would feel more inclined to use parts of their current respective rhythm sections then people they haven't performed with for nearly 40 years.

Without Brian, there's no 'reunion' — oops, sorry, we're not supposed to call it that — Without Brian, there's no '50 year celebration.'  BW needs to feel comfortable, and his entourage need to be happy, thus The Lovester's statement that 'we're mostly using BW's band.' 

Sounds like it will essentially be The BW Band, with Totten/Cowsill added.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »

Sounds like it will essentially be The BW Band, with Totten/Cowsill added.

Which, to be fair, will be a good band!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »

Which, to be fair, will be a good band!

Heck yes, it will.

Some of us fans have nice fan-fantasies, but the reality doesn't match-up.  Like I said, the 50th year plans must be complicated/awkward already; the egos/personalities involved, the history of lawsuits, the blending of BW & ML's band-members, and so on.  Maybe we're 'lucky' we get Dave at all?  Those of us here on the board know a lot about historical details, but Blondie/Ricky's brief stint is unfortunately just one of many minor footnotes in BBland.  And one that could emphasize an unsavory period — Blondie/Ricky were brought into the fold when Brian had flaked-out, so they needed new blood to pick-up the slack.  The agenda for 2012 will be, in part, to celebrate BW.  And for the 50th bday, they want a party, not a bummer.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »

I don't think if Blondie and Ricky were in the band, it would be a celebration of Brian being a flake. That's like saying that Bruce being in the band is a celebration of Brian being a flake. Bruce directly replaced Brian on the road.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »

It would be neat if Glen Campbell joined them for some shows and maybe even did "Guess I'm Dumb" but I guess we all know why that wouldn't happen...   
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »

Bruce directly replaced Brian on the road.

That ^ can be spun in a positive way, thusly: 'The young visionary, Brian Wilson, worked hard in the studio, innovating new recording and composition techniques while his band toiled on the road — in the process, Wilson valiantly battled the British Invasion, produced a string of smash hit singles, and created timeless albums forever considered to be masterpieces.'

By contrast, 1970s Brian had long since disappeared down the scary rabbit-hole to Wilsonland.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »

It would be neat if Glen Campbell joined them for some shows and maybe even did "Guess I'm Dumb" but I guess we all know why that wouldn't happen...  

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth — let's be grateful that Brian, Mike, and others will do a full-scale tour again, for probably the last time ever.  It's a 'celebration' after all — let's CELEBRATE.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:33:15 AM by PongHit » Logged

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »

That ^ can be spun in a positive way, thusly: 'The young visionary, Brian Wilson, worked hard in the studio, innovating new recording and composition techniques while his band toiled on the road — in the process, Wilson valiantly battled the British Invasion, produced a string of smash hit singles, and created timeless albums forever considered to be masterpieces.'

By contrast, 1970s Brian had long since disappeared down the scary rabbit-hole to Wilsonland.

Reading the fine points in these discussion threads,  (and learning much, thank you all)  realizing that the Boys produced (in house) to the greater extent, their own work;  whilst others had professional producers to do it for them, raises the bar in my opinion as to the apples-and-oranges debate, as between the two bands.   And, after having seen The Wrecking Crew film (not just to appreciate their music industry work) but the fact that Brian could work out a lot of kinks and be more time-efficient when the band returned from touring. 

Yes, it is a "celebration..."

You are correct, Pong Hit,...not to look a "gift horse in the mouth!"

Happy New Year, all!  Love

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »

That ^ can be spun in a positive way,
the fact that you are trying to "spin" things makes this entire discussion pointless.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »

the fact that you are trying to "spin" things makes this entire discussion pointless.

Those grapes were probably sour anyway.

And you appear to be speaking only for yourself:

Reading the fine points in these discussion threads,  (and learning much, thank you all...

You are correct, Pong Hit
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:49:52 AM by PongHit » Logged

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »

That ^ can be spun in a positive way,
Yeah not to offend anyone but this conversation is becoming much less productive than it could be. Naysayers will always say "nay" and they will always have their reasons. Is anyone here a member of the BleuBoard in good standing, or any of the others? We should be promoting this petition more outside of ss.net.

- B00ts
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »

Now that all the excitement hasn't settled per se but at least has so that my view is realistic nough (hehe  Smiley ) I'd just like to say that I don't think Blondie & Ricky have to be part of the whole reunion. They did great things for the band at the time but the legend was already built and just waiting to be re-discovered. That is, they should be honored in some way. Maybe playing some songs with the other guys. They are great musicians and if Blondie still sounds somewhat like in the 70s his voice would add some great harmonic sound. Listen to In Concert and you can hear how fantastic his voice fitted even - almost especially - with the old songs like Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations, etc.

All in all, I'd love to have them there but imo it doesn't lessen the reunion if they aren't part of the whole thing. But again, they without any question should at least be honored in some nice way. They deserve that mightily.

BTW I think this would be a interesting song for the Beach Boys to record:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBWPGXmK7A

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

The John Stamos' appreciation club are pushing for his inclusion for the tour so I hear!
 What the heck ,why stop with Blondie and Ricky!? Roll Eyes

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

I'd like to see Blondie and Ricky part of the tour as perhaps special guests: maybe open for the band or perform their set in the middle of the show to act as an intermission for the Beach Boys--much like the way the Everley Brothers did on Simon and Garfunkel's reunion tour in 2003.  They do some of their own songs, and then bring out the Beach Boys for "Sail On Sailor" etc. 

This being said, I would not want them to be permanent members of the band for the entire show.  First off, neither of the guys have played with Ricky or Blondie in years....it would be much too hard to work with basically new musicians who aren't used to playing these sonsg.  John Cowsill is a safe decision.  Mike has worked with him for a while, he knows the songs...the transition is seemless.  That would not be the case with Ricky on drums. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »

Blondie & Ricky are professional musicians. Should they be invited, they would rehearse the material before going on the road. Are you afraid that they might rearrange the songs to sound like the Stones or Bonnie Raitt or something? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »

That would not be the case with Ricky on drums.

That is incorrect. I watched Ricky play most of the songs in Mike and Bruce's current setlist and more. Mike has worked with him for awhile too. And if Ricky didn't know a particular song, he'd come up to speed pretty fast.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2012, 11:27:17 PM »

That would not be the case with Ricky on drums.

That is incorrect. I watched Ricky play most of the songs in Mike and Bruce's current setlist and more. Mike has worked with him for awhile too. And if Ricky didn't know a particular song, he'd come up to speed pretty fast.

Blondie & Ricky are professional musicians. Should they be invited, they would rehearse the material before going on the road. Are you afraid that they might rearrange the songs to sound like the Stones or Bonnie Raitt or something? Wink

Absolutely they are professional dudes and I have no doubt they'd be able to pick up any song after working with the band...but that's the issue.  If I were Mike, why go with Ricky who would need extra time/work to rehearse/learn the arrangements when I got a guy like John Cowsill who already knows the songs and is ready to perform them at the drop of a hat right now?  The rehearsals for the tour are most likely going to be focused on the vocals between the principle Beach Boys....I doubt Mike would want to burden himself with also worrying about having to get the band up to speed from scratch.  The band is practically ready to go as is. 

And yes, I would guess a small portion of the reason is that they want to ensure that the music stays true to the original sound and feel and not sway to much into other areas.  The band is the least of their issues in the greater scheme of the proceedings, I doubt they'd want to complicate issues by bringing new-old members into the mix when they have bigger fish to fry.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:26:29 AM by Justin » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:17 AM »

I don't know why I go into this thread, it just makes me angry.

and Mike Cowsill doesn't know any Beach Boys songs.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 02:32:12 AM »

Okay, I read through this whole thread and I'm surprised that nobody has brought up what I was thinking which is do Blondie and Ricky WANT to be included?  You guys are arguing this like it's your decision.  But it was their choice to quit the band and they never came back.  I personally would love to see them as part of the tour, if only to see Sail On Sailor performed with its original singer but they might have left their Beach Boys stint behind them for a good reason.  Their time in the group was a transitional period for the Beach Boys, an essential one and an interesting one but frankly, the wide audience wants to hear the Beach Boys of the 60s, the ones who wrote hit songs.  The Who doesn't include Kenney Jones in their current shows because while he was a member of the band, he was not a huge part of the history, the band hit their peak before he got there and he will never get the recognition that Keith Moon got.  Same with Blondie and Ricky of the Beach Boys.  I'm not saying they deserve to be forgotten but they're not part of the classic Beach Boys lineup.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:46:07 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »

Okay, I read through this whole thread and I'm surprised that nobody has brought up what I was thinking which is do Blondie and Ricky WANT to be included?  You guys are arguing this like it's your decision.  But it was their choice to quit the band and they never came back.  I personally would love to see them as part of the tour, if only to see Sail On Sailor performed with its original singer but they might have left their Beach Boys stint behind them for a good reason.  Their time in the group was a transitional period for the Beach Boys, an essential one and an interesting one but frankly, the wide audience wants to hear the Beach Boys of the 60s, the ones who wrote hit songs.  The Who doesn't include Kenney Jones in their current shows because while he was a member of the band, he was not a huge part of the history, the band hit their peak before he got there and he will never get the recognition that Keith Moon got.  Same with Blondie and Ricky of the Beach Boys.  I'm not saying they deserve to be forgotten but I don't think they should be included as part of the classic Beach Boys lineup and I think even they would agree with that.
See post 119 from Ed to see how Blondie feels about things. Your last sentence is a bit presumptuous.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »

Their time in the group was a transitional period for the Beach Boys … frankly, the wide audience wants to hear the Beach Boys of the 60s, the ones who wrote hit songs.  The Who doesn't include Kenney Jones in their current shows because while he was a member of the band, he was not a huge part of the history, the band hit their peak before he got there and he will never get the recognition that Keith Moon got.  Same with Blondie and Ricky of the Beach Boys.

All ^ true.  But more to the point: at its core, it's all about Brian — he needs to be happy/comfortable during this 50th year thing — if BW's crew gets spooked, it's game-over.  The way to make things smooth and easy for the big-guy is to use the band he's familiar with.  No one's gonna risk making waves (pun intended) over Ricky/Blondie's inclusion in the band; they're not a priority.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »

I doubt Mike would want to burden himself with also worrying about having to get the band up to speed from scratch. The band is practically ready to go as is.

The 50th Anniversary Beach Boys band includes members from Mike and Bruce's band, Brian's band, and Al Jardine's band. There are certain songs that a member of each band will have to learn from scratch if they are to do all of the songs from one another's setlists. ALL of the members (including Ricky, Blondie, Al, and Dave) know most of the songs that these three bands do, with the exception of a very few. They should ALL hit the ground running with a few rehearsals. But ALL of them will have to learn something from scratch.

If Brian and Mike are happy with 'Mike' Cowsill, I'm happy. I'd just like to see Ricky sit in for a few gigs - and Blondie too.

Hell, even let that hamburger Stamos sit in, just so we can make fun of his showboatisms and throw rocks at him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:40:51 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx