gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:20:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 37174 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »

I suspect the 50th year plans are already complicated and awkward enough — all the egos/personalities, bad-blood of the past — the melding of BW & ML's band-members, etc., etc. I suppose we should consider ourselves 'lucky' Dave is involved to the extent he is. The citizens of this board are far more knowledgeable than Mr. John Q. Public — to JQP, Blondie/Ricky's brief stint is, sadly, a minor footnote. And one that could, at this phase of BBoys history, emphasize an unsavory deviation from the band's famous canon.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »

Fillthepage, did you sign the damn petition?  Smiley
[/quote

Mikey - Is a petition of any consequence?  I doubt it.

And, I did look at it.  What I noticed that it was full of "pen names" and not actual names. 

It is not credible, in my opinion. Any single person could go to any number of places and show a different IP address as if they were multiple signatures.   I like the "one-person, one-vote" rule, not "vote early and often."   

If someone wanted to write a letter, sign it, with a contact phone number, to authenticate it, that is one thing.  Internet polling is notoriously unreliable without built-in controls.   

Mickey Mouse could have signed it.  So could I. 

Do I like Ricky and Blondie?  Ya. That does not matter.   Wink

Filldeplage, I see your points, but comparing Ricky and Blondie to the cheerleaders and John Stamos is off-the-mark; Ricky and Blondie were full-fledged members of The Beach Boys and deserve to be on that stage at some point during this reunion.

And Ponghit, if Brian played solo shows with Al and Ricky, that goes a way towards showing that this might work after all.

Think about it : this is the last chance for the surviving members of the band to all get together. If signing a stupid internet petition could even infinitesimally influence BRI to consider thinking about the possibility of maybe mulling the idea of including Blondie and Ricky, surely it's worth your time. In the time it took you to post your naysaying post, you could have signed it and had two friends sign it.

Why not just sign the damn thng? It takes two seconds of your time. Peoples' signatures may not be their real names, but these are people who are well-known on this board and in the BB's fan community. Plus, I don't think many people, if any, have signed it more than once - I know I certainly haven't, and I started the petition.

- B00ts
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »

Thanks, Pong Hit and b00ts for your thoughts...

There was no inference of the cheerleaders being on the same par as Ricky and Blondie, but what does one do with a "50-year entourage?" I like them both (Ricky and Blondie) and play that 73/74 concert album nearly every day.  I love it!  Pong Hit made a valid point about the whole process being a delicate one, and it certainly appears so.  That said, finally, there is concrete indication via the YouTube that our beloved guys are all working together.  Thank God.  First things, first. 

When  one surveys all the wonderful musicians, who have worked with the Band, you still have Glen Campbell, Daryl Dragon (and the brothers) Toni Tenille, and my point was that the list is "ad infinitum."  Should the Band feel pressured when they have just sat down and are working out things to be barraged with petitions, and demands from an internet community message board? 

In 50 years, there have been a lot of people and many of us, have special time windows, where that music is special.  For me, it is probably not the car songs, even if I get a kick out of them. I like the SDSN, Pet Sounds eras, forward, but other fans have other decades they wish to see represented. 

We finally have Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David together.  Isn't that enough for now?  Can't they just breathe and figure things out as they go along? They are all adults.  Can't they pick their own team?  No sports team management operates under fan pressure.   

And, I think any member has the right to post here, and not feel bullied, or coerced because a group or individual has a wish list attended to.  Members are free to sit down, write a letter, signed and dated, with a contact phone number, mail it, or email it, to an appropriate party, and that gets people further as activists, in a cause. You can craft your ideas (well-supported by facts,) and they don't reflect a simple position statement on a petition.  The "pen is still mightier than the sword."  (I could not resist!) And, most of us don't know each other except through this great exchange of ideas having to do with this music.   Petitions are just not my preference. That is my choice.     

It starts with those special "5 Guys" - and they take it from that table they are sitting at now, together. They look very comfortable with one another.  But, at some point the "class" (membership) identification is closed.  And, while you might love to invite "this whole world" to your wedding, but you only have room and money for your close friends and immediate relatives.   

It is an issue for someone far smarter than me.  Solomon.      Wink 

Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with PongHit and filledeplage on this one.  No disrespect to Ricky and Blondie--they did the best they could under challenging circumstances.  But their tenure with the band was a relatively brief and obscure one (though I enjoy those albums) and maybe the Boys have enough on their plate just focusing on getting the right cohesion between the original members (and all of the competing egos and pressures that go with that).  I don't like to see Ricky and Blondie get airbrushed out altogether, but it's not really our place to tell the band how to run the show here.  Maybe they want to focus on other periods of their career without taking time out to do a CatP/Holland medley.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »

if they even want to.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

I do think its totally BULLSHIT however, to put Blondie and Ricky in the same bracket as Daryl Dragon, Billy Hinsche, or any of these other sidemen.

Blondie and Ricky were expressly NOT hired as sidemen. They were actually in the band THE BEACH BOYS, as were Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston. So I don't like the whole, "ah, but there's so many people and some just might not make it" angle. These guys were actual members and played on classic fuckin' material. I think that's important enough for me.

I also feel though, The Beach Boys is ultimately Brian, Mike and Al's thing (as Carl and Dennis are no longer with us), so if they think it is appropriate that it is them three along with Bruce and David for this go-round, then so be it. But I have a feeling that if you asked Al Jardine or Brian Wilson why Blondie and Ricky aren't around for this project they probably say, "Well, gee, I guess they should be part of this! They were Beach Boys after all, weren't they! And Blondie sounded great on 'Sail On Sailor' and 'Funky Pretty'!"

You all could imagine that, couldn't you??
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »

I think the reason people see Ricky and Blondie as being lesser Beach Boys is that there were only albums that didn't make much money compared to the surf hits. which is a dumb reason.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

Thanks, Pong Hit and b00ts for your thoughts...

There was no inference of the cheerleaders being on the same par as Ricky and Blondie, but what does one do with a "50-year entourage?" I like them both (Ricky and Blondie) and play that 73/74 concert album nearly every day.  I love it!  Pong Hit made a valid point about the whole process being a delicate one, and it certainly appears so.  That said, finally, there is

And, I think any member has the right to post here, and not feel bullied, or coerced because a group or individual has a wish list attended to.  Members are free to sit down, write a letter, signed and dated, with a contact phone number, mail it, or email it, to an appropriate party, and that gets people further as activists, in a cause. You can craft your ideas (well-supported by facts,) and they don't reflect a simple position statement on a petition.  The "pen is still mightier than the sword."  (I could not resist!) And, most of us don't know each other except through this great exchange of ideas having to do with this music.   Petitions are just not my preference. That is my choice.     

It starts with those special "5 Guys" - and they take it from that table they are sitting at now, together. They look very comfortable with one another.  But, at some point the "class" (membership) identification is closed.  And, while you might love to invite "this whole world" to your wedding, but you only have room and money for your close friends and immediate relatives.   

It is an issue for someone far smarter than me.  Solomon.      Wink 

Filldeplage, you are a very articulate individual. You explain your reasoning very well, and I agree with much of what you wrote. I understand that you are not a petition person; I am not, either, believe it or not!

However, I don't think that making a petition means that we are trying to take away the Boys' ability to choose who they play with. The decison is up to them, and none of us are going to boycott or bully them if they don't include Blondie and Ricky. We are all excited for the reunion. They are big (Beach) Boys.

This is the one chance for all the surviving Beach Boys to get together. All the people you mentiomed contributed greatly to the Beach Boys' legacy, but they were not official members.

The only two official surviving Beach Boys who are not included in this reunion are Blondie and Ricky. They deserve to know that they are valued by the fans, whether or not they are eventually included. To that end, it is good to sign the petition if you appreciate Blondie and Rickys' contributions to the Holland era. I would imagine that giving these two a small part in the tour would cost BRI money, and hearing that the fans want Blondie and Ricky may influence their decision.

To that end, I respectfully and pig-headedly once again request that anybody who values Blondie and Ricky sign the petition.

- B00ts
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with PongHit and filledeplage on this one.  No disrespect to Ricky and Blondie--they did the best they could under challenging circumstances.  But their tenure with the band was a relatively brief and obscure one (though I enjoy those albums) and maybe the Boys have enough on their plate just focusing on getting the right cohesion between the original members (and all of the competing egos and pressures that go with that).  I don't like to see Ricky and Blondie get airbrushed out altogether, but it's not really our place to tell the band how to run the show here.  Maybe they want to focus on other periods of their career without taking time out to do a CatP/Holland medley.
Tristero, The Beach Boys are all grown men and BRI is a business. We are not bullying them by making a petition. The decision to include Ricky and Blondie,the only two surviving Beach Boys not included, likely is a financial concern.

We are not threatening a boycott or sending out any negativity. This is likely the last chance to see all the surviving Beach Boys together on stage. I think it is worth it to show BRI and Blondie and Ricky that we want to see them with the rest of the group. If not, I will still go see the reunited Beach Boys several times and buy their new album/box set.

Brian: "Hey Mike, some fans on the internet started a petition to get Blondie and Ricky included in the reunion."
Mike: "Are they serious? We already reunited with you, me, Al, Bruce, and David. Thse fans sure are spoiled."
Jeff: (in falsetto) "Ooooooowweeeeeooooo"
Al: "See guys, this is why I waited so long to agree to the reunion. These damn spoiled fans with their entitlement, trying to tell us what to do. I'm steamin' over here!"
Bruce: "Yeah, this fuking disgusts me." (pensively glances around the room)
Bruce: "Forget this bullshlt. I'm out."
David and Al (in unison): "So are we."
Al: "It's back to dental school for me..."

And so, Brian and Mike went their separate ways. Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar took over BRI and toured as The Beach Boys until the end of days.

- B00ts
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »

b00ts - Thanks for your kind words...

Would people find it unreasonable to just let the guys (The Boys) enjoy the holidays and allow the dust to settle a bit?

A little "moratorium" as it were; even done during wartime? 

Mr. Mirth (Andrew) might be trying to drop a not-so-subtle hint that there is a possibility that some representative from the Band might carve out some time to check out the lively, if, sometimes too-hot-to handle discussion...and relay a certain fan sentiment...

After all, they have been back singing all together for about a minute!  And the fan passion is really great!

Happy Holidays to All! 

The guys back together is really a great gift to us all!  Love

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

I don't mean to disrespect those guys, but I think their role would not be more than tangential in a reunion like this. They're great musicians, an important part of an obscure but musically satisfying period, and full-time members for a while (that, I still don't get).

But this is about Hawthorne, CA 1961 and taking it from there. This is not about feeding minutia-hungry hardcore fans. Those guys don't fit within the vibe that is presented in the promo vid, and they had no significant relationship to the band for, what? 30 years? When Carl passed, it was David on stage playing the late Wilson's licks. Not Blondie. David fits. Bruce does. Blondie and Ricky would only as a one-time gentle nod to History. Nothing more. I'm sure they're greatful to have their share of immortality thanks to the BBs, but they know they ARE NOT beach boys. I imagine they must be very nice guys, and it'd be alright to have them join the band onstage for something, but I won't sign.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 05:44:19 PM »

I signed the petition and would love to see Blondie and Ricky play with the band one more time..but,
I don't expect that to happen and I don't think the petition will alter the planned reunion in any way.

I look at this one way only, as a tribute to Blondie and Ricky, so if we get a pile of signatures, If they (Blondie and Ricky) see
them, they will know that we fans do care and enjoyed their contribution to the legend.

I don't know about Ricky, but Blondie does have a internet presence (Facebook, etc) so I would imagine he may see the list.

Smiley
Peace
Doc Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »

I signed the petition and would love to see Blondie and Ricky play with the band one more time..but,
I don't expect that to happen and I don't think the petition will alter the planned reunion in any way.

I look at this one way only, as a tribute to Blondie and Ricky, so if we get a pile of signatures, If they (Blondie and Ricky) see
them, they will know that we fans do care and enjoyed their contribution to the legend.

I don't know about Ricky, but Blondie does have a internet presence (Facebook, etc) so I would imagine he may see the list.

Smiley
Peace
Doc Smiley
Exactly. It will show Ricky and Blondie that we fans are thinking about them during the 2012 reunion. It may also show BRI that we are interested in the Holland - CATP period of the band, which could conceivably affect the reissues/box set tracklisting in some infinitesimal way.

- B00ts
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

I don't mean to disrespect those guys, but I think their role would not be more than tangential in a reunion like this. They're great musicians, an important part of an obscure but musically satisfying period, and full-time members for a while (that, I still don't get).

But this is about Hawthorne, CA 1961 and taking it from there. This is not about feeding minutia-hungry hardcore fans. Those guys don't fit within the vibe that is presented in the promo vid, and they had no significant relationship to the band for, what? 30 years? When Carl passed, it was David on stage playing the late Wilson's licks. Not Blondie. David fits. Bruce does. Blondie and Ricky would only as a one-time gentle nod to History. Nothing more. I'm sure they're greatful to have their share of immortality thanks to the BBs, but they know they ARE NOT beach boys. I imagine they must be very nice guys, and it'd be alright to have them join the band onstage for something, but I won't sign.

Really? I have a few albums I'd like to show you. By your reasoning, Bruce isn't a Beach Boy either?

I think the real truth may lie in the fact that they are black. And not in a racist way from those that are excluding them. But from the fact that many in the public would be like "what the f***?" when seeing a seven man Beach Boys including two black guys. People would be confused. Because even though Carl and Dennis are gone, the public will see 5 white guys up there on stage, and they'll think "hey, The Beach Boys". Blondie and Ricky might make them confused.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

it's not really important to me that they're not there.  Perhaps it's their album songs.  None of them sound like the beach boys.  but another band on a beach boys album.  and in my mind/to my ears, they aren't beach boy songs.  Great musicians/songwriters though.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »

Couldn't we make a case that Hal Blaine, for example, was a more important part of BBoys history than Bruce, Blondie, or Ricky?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »

Couldn't we make a case that Hal Blaine, for example, was a more important part of BBoys history than Bruce, Blondie, or Ricky?

I think we could. But once again: Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky are/were FUCKING BEACH BOYS!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 04:13:13 AM »

No need for a petition; it won't make any difference to them.  The group is aware of their history, and are in the process of making decisions for 2012.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »

Cry No need to sign a petition either…  Cry

We're redundant…   Cry

“We live in divisive times.”
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »

Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky are/were f*ckING BEACH BOYS!

Eh, that's ^ not a big deal to me.  I'd reckon Billy Hinsche was/is more important, and for longer — he was invited to be an 'official' BBoy (I think they wanted him before they wanted Blondie/Ricky).  And Christian, Usher, Asher, and Parks all co-wrote songs that are vital to the catalog — Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky did not…

These types of debates could go on endlessly…  as endless as the summer, one might say.  Bottom line is: for now, let's just be happy our 5 major survivors were together in one room again — I predict some bumpy weather during 2012 — stay seated, and use your seat belt.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »

No need for a petition; it won't make any difference to them.  The group is aware of their history, and are in the process of making decisions for 2012.
No disrespect David, but maybe for once The Beach Boys will pay attention to their actual fan base and do something for us instead of just catereing to the casual fans who do not and have not bought their records since 1968. I signed the petition anyhow. It may or maynot make a difference, but it certainly won't hurt anything to let BRI know how we feel. People here keep telling me they listen to this board, so what the hell, let them listen now.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 07:57:01 AM »

Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky are/were f*ckING BEACH BOYS!

Eh, that's ^ not a big deal to me.  I'd reckon Billy Hinsche was/is more important, and for longer — he was invited to be an 'official' BBoy (I think they wanted him before they wanted Blondie/Ricky).  And Christian, Usher, Asher, and Parks all co-wrote songs that are vital to the catalog — Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky did not…

These types of debates could go on endlessly…  as endless as the summer, one might say.  Bottom line is: for now, let's just be happy our 5 major survivors were together in one room again — I predict some bumpy weather during 2012 — stay seated, and use your seat belt.

I think Bruce might take offense to the fact. And trust me, I am not a Bruce fan by any means, but I think many would say "Disney Girls" is a classic.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »

I signed.  Afro
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »

No disrespect David, but maybe for once The Beach Boys will pay attention to their actual fan base and do something for us instead of just catereing to the casual fans who do not and have not bought their records since 1968. I signed the petition anyhow. It may or maynot make a difference, but it certainly won't hurt anything to let BRI know how we feel. People here keep telling me they listen to this board, so what the hell, let them listen now.
You got that right. I understand that some people think the petition will have no effect, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is that people think the petition is somehow "pushing" things for 2012.

We fans are the ones who have been telling our friends for years that the Beach Boys are actually a really seriously good band, one of the best ever. The real deal, so to speak. We were into Pacific Ocean Blue, Holland, and Love You when those albums had been out of print for a decade or more. We watched Brian improbably start touring again, and then gasped in amazement as he decided to tour Smile and re-record and complete it. We witnessed Mike and Bruces' band evolve from a touring machine to a touring machine with really excellent performances. We waited decades (!) for Smile... and a couple of years for Postcard from California.

The point is, as frustrating as it is to be a Beach Boys fan at times, and as much as the BB's mess things up logistically at times, it is supremely gratifying when the group makes a good decision and/or listens to their fans.

As David said, the group are making all sots of plans for 2012. How could it hurt to show them that we, the hardcore fans, are not forgetting about the only two Beach Boys being left out of 2012? Anyone who is on the fence should just sign the goddam petition; it is most definitely not going to hurt anything.

- B00ts
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

And Christian, Usher, Asher, and Parks all co-wrote songs that are vital to the catalog — Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky did not…

Using that logic, Al shouldn't be in the reunion either.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx