gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:07:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 36962 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »

Not everyone speaks English in the same way that you do. What's your point?

That's not how I speak — it's how Blondie pronounced it
I know.

— I thought it was cute.
Seemed more like you were making fun of his accent, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »

Seemed more like you were making fun of his accent, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah OK, no — I thought it was cool that he has enough affection for his BBoy time to do the song, and I thought it sounded good, and it was charming to see him in a modest setting like that one.  He seems like a cool cat.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
kissmebaby
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »

I'm so grateful that David Marks was included that I don't want to complain.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »

Right. I must admit that after the first buzz about the idea of Blondie and Ricky being part of this, it kinda got aside for me. To make so much noise about them having to be part of it gives this whole great idea of the reunion a bad taste. But after Stamos was included it lit up for me again. But as you say, we should be grateful and happy for this reunion, although Blondie and Ricky deserve to at least be mentioned as more than just a side note.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP5gImvF-c&feature=related

Meh. I guess that I've seen Carl perform it live so often that I'm spoiled for anybody else, even the original lead vocalist.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP5gImvF-c&feature=related

Meh. I guess that I've seen Carl perform it live so often that I'm spoiled for anybody else, even the original lead vocalist.

Hasn't Desper said he has an original version from '71 with a Carl lead?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:22 AM »

Right. I must admit that after the first buzz about the idea of Blondie and Ricky being part of this, it kinda got aside for me. To make so much noise about them having to be part of it gives this whole great idea of the reunion a bad taste. But after Stamos was included it lit up for me again. But as you say, we should be grateful and happy for this reunion, although Blondie and Ricky deserve to at least be mentioned as more than just a side note.

I'd love it if Blondie and Ricky were included but, to be frank, they've escaped that whole surf/sunshine web that's ensnared the likes of Foskett and even David Marks, for so long – whether they've wanted/needed it or not, that they certainly don't need to fall back on it. If they take part, I hope it'll be for the fun of it and not out of any sense of obligation or desperation.

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2012, 06:41:46 AM »

I think it's about time this topic be removed as a sticky.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »

I still don't understand the push for them anyway
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »

They are the only living Beach Boys not included in the reunion. As good a reason for a push as any.

- B00ts
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:46 AM »

The topic is obsolete by now, it seems.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

They are the only living Beach Boys not included in the reunion. As good a reason for a push as any.

Where's the Glenn Campbell thread
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »

Glen Campbell, aside from being pretty much retired at this point due to his Alzheimer's, was never an official Beach Boy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »

The topic is obsolete by now, it seems.

Yes, put the Jeff thread up here instead. I'm not done ranting Razz
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »

Glen Campbell, aside from being pretty much retired at this point due to his Alzheimer's, was never an official Beach Boy.

Neither was Hal Blaine, but I'd rather have those two playing on a new album recording than have a new song by the flame on there
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

Neither was Hal Blaine, but I'd rather have those two playing on a new album recording than have a new song by the flame on there

I agree that having new Blondie and/or Ricky songs on the new BB album would be kinda lame. Especially after all this time. But then again I don't really see how a new David Marks composition would really make sense on this album either, seeing as how he has written 0.00 percent of The Beach Boys material. I know Jon Stebbins will get mad at me for this, as David is actually better than Eric Clapton, Peter Green, and Jimi Hendrix combined, and had he stayed with the BB, he'd have brought world peace.

But yeah, and I know this brings this thread back to "that place", but I don't get why David is featured and Blondie and Ricky continue to be looked at as footnotes to the BB story.
SBonilla
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

...I don't really see how a new David Marks composition would really make sense on this album either, seeing as how he has written 0.00 percent of The Beach Boys material.

You don't know how to make a record.

Material should be and is often chosen for its appropriateness to the project. Granted, sometimes there are bones thrown, favors granted and  politics considered.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_XLf5puC8

if arranged in a certain way, this would be a great Beach Boys song.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »

But yeah, and I know this brings this thread back to "that place", but I don't get why David is featured and Blondie and Ricky continue to be looked at as footnotes to the BB story.

I have no interest at all in hearing a new David Marks song (or no more interest than I would in any other random musician) but the most obvious reason why David would be featured and Blondie & Ricky not is that David is a founding member of the band, and he played on a lot of their most famous songs and biggest hits. If you're going to go on stage and say that you're reuniting the band that recorded Surfin' USA, Surfin' Safari, Surfer Girl. Little Deuce Coupe, 409, Shut Down, In My Room and so on, it makes sense to have every living member of the band that recorded those songs on stage.

On the other hand, Blondie and Ricky played on none of the hits, and were in the band when their records were barely selling. If we're *very* lucky we may get as many as three songs from the time they were in the band (Sail On Sailor, All This Is That, California) on the tour, only one of which either of them sang on. I'd certainly like to see them with the band, but the fact is that they joined the band the vast majority of the music they're loved for (whether by dedicated fans like us or casual listeners) had already been recorded.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »

blondie and ricky are great at what they do.  but they never feel like anything but a band within a band to me.  I usually skip their songs when i listen to holland and passions.  we got love is a greeeat song though. 
rogerlancelot
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2012, 02:41:54 AM »

Before this thread disappears (and not thinking that it would be right to make another thread about it) I saw Ricky playing drums for Bonnie Raitt tonight on David Letterman and it was great (him and the whole band). They did a very inventive cover version of "Right Down The Line".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2012, 08:03:44 AM »

I wish there was a video of that, I just checked the letterman site and they don't have it there.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

I'd like to sign a petition to get Ricky back with The Rutles.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

I wish there was a video of that, I just checked the letterman site and they don't have it there.

I saved it on my dvr. I wish I had my desktop here (the one I use to make movies with). Funnily enough I'm going to get all that and all of the rest of my stuff next month. i just checked YouTube and there is no video for it yet but there is a performance on Ellen and an official music video. Search "Bonnie Raitt Right Down The Line" and you will find at least 2 performances.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »

I just checked out her album, and there's a song called God Only Knows on there! but it's not the Beach Boys song.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx