gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:15:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145233 times)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »

Be amazed if they don't - I'm guessing the "worldwide" part of the tour equates to something like:

Australia - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
Japan - Tokyo
UK - London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester

See now if this turns out to be correct i'm gonna have to go to both! Life's hard sometimes  Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »

Hearing the DIA snippet, I was amazed at how unmistakably BB it really sounded.  Mike's sounding a lot better than he did in the 80s, and the group blend just sounds vintage. 

You know what I've been thiking for a while?  I think the key is Al Jardine.  I think his voice is pretty sweet, always has been, and you can hear it in most of their original songs; he still sounds pretty good, so if you do that type of song with Al's voice in the blend, I think that's the key to getting that Beach Boys 'sound'.  Carl of course was also a HUGE part of the blend, but Al is still wtih us thankfully.

Everybody knows the 'bass' sound on any recording is kind of unidrectional for lack of a better word, it's imitable and you can't easily discern with your ear who's singing a bass note.  Also the falsetto part, although tough to do, can be imitated too, Al & Carl (and Bruce) in my opinion always had the hard lines to sing, the middle part of the harmony is tough to handle and keep straight.  As well known as the boys are for the falsetto, I think the real meat and bones was always the middle harmonies. 

Go ahead.  Ridicule me if you must, lol. 
SG7
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »

Billy Hinsche to do the Wipeout rap? :D
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 18, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

I hope that Brian will actually sing background parts when he's not doing lead.

Yes.  To this day, I feel even his current background vocals are the best thing he does.  Even when he's 'off' it sounds really cool and interesting to me.  i'd much rather hear him sing backup.  Luckily, I'm positive he will, hell he sings backup on the new song, you can hear him very well in the bridge (singing lead, and in the vocal pad behind it). 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/alanjardine/posts/265677626823873

I'm really happy for the fans. We are sacrificing our own personal careers to make it possible for the legions of fans all over the world who have been so patient and have waited so long for this thing to happen. The world can use some good vibrations! Congratulations to you all!

Gotta love Al Jardine.  We're lucky to have such a genuinely nice guy be part of our favorite band, and also I'm glad that hopefully this will get Jardine a bit more respect being part of (and the early voice of) such a huge news story in the music world. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 18, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »

Not sure if this is redundant in this conversation, but here is a link to whole session video promo and song:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42619208/Do%20It%20Again%200707-960x540.mov

Happy Holidays and bless us all, each and every one!

The 'outtasite !' bit stopped me dead in my tracks !

For them as have not listened, this is the WHOLE SONG !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:09:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »

The video is obviously still in progress (Getty Images stand-in) but a friend of a friend who is in on the legal negotiations of the tour gave me permission to post it. He said it was a couple of months old already, so the final video edit of the promo must be finished by now. But this mix sounds MUCH better than the YouTube clip already...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: December 18, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »

Not sure if this is redundant in this conversation, but here is a link to whole session video promo and song:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42619208/Do%20It%20Again%200707-960x540.mov

Happy Holidays and bless us all, each and every one!

Nice.  How'd you score this?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:37 PM »

Meh I can see them picking their UK dates just in time for my wedding. Dammit! Hoping for May or late July/Aug. Hurry up and announce the dates!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 18, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

"Nice.  How'd you score this?"

Old high school friends in on the legal aspects of setting up the tour (maybe the NASCAR end of things). Must have been an internal promo, obviously still in progress as of a few months ago. They said it was cool to post. I hope they're right. Too late now, boys...

This demos - once again - what a damn fine bass singer Mike is.

Simply no one can touch what he does on the bottom (all puns intended). Flawless take after take on the SMiLE sessions, and, truth be told,  every SOT box I have - he's on it EVERYTIME. That is some kind of genius too, have to admit.

His particular timbre can't be imitated, and fits that blend so beautifully. I feel it in my gut when I turn it up.

This mix seems to me to be much more satisfying than the Tube clip. Love this production.

Live, spare, on point, with instruments whose sound won't date.

Please let the whole album be something along these lines.

Not too slick, but clean and present and fill up the room with that SOUND!! Live as possible, please.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:34:01 PM by PS » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: December 18, 2011, 12:36:01 PM »

WOW.  Shocked

Interestingly, David is nowhere to be seen in this video, which probably means he's an afterthought. I don't care, as long as he ends up being a part of the reunion.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: December 18, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »

"Nice.  How'd you score this?"

Old high school friends in on the legal aspects of setting up the tour (maybe the NASCAR end of things). Must have been an internal promo, obviously still in progress as of a few months ago. They said it was cool to post. I hope they're right. Too late now, boys...

This demos - once again - what a damn fine bass singer Mike is.

Simply no one can touch what he does on the bottom (all puns intended). Flawless take after take on the SMiLE sessions, and, truth be told,  every SOT box I have - he's on it EVERYTIME. That is some kind of genius too, have to admit.

His particular timbre can't be imitated, and fits that blend so beautifully. I feel it in my gut when I turn it up.

This mix seems to me to be much more satisfying than the Tube clip. Love this production.

Live, spare, on point, with instruments whose sound won't date.

Please let the whole album be something along these lines.

Not too slick, but clean and present and fill up the room with that SOUND!! Live as possible, please.

I wasn't ecstatic about the mix used on the Youtube clip. This version is much better! Mike sounds awesome, and you are right, I think he is probably the most consistent vocalist in the group, even at 70 years old!

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 18, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

David's in the video, isn't he?  I just don't think he was there when they did the vocals, or at least the vocals they videotaped. 

I hope they are able to write some new stuff that rocks and has this vibe to it.  I don't want to hear a whole album of deep music, although a few great songs would be nice.  I hope it skews more towards "do it again" and less towards "Desert drive" if you know what I mean. 

If Joe Thomas is responsible for the vocals sounding like that, I say keep Joe Thomas. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »

Meh I can see them picking their UK dates just in time for my wedding. Dammit! Hoping for May or late July/Aug. Hurry up and announce the dates!

Well then... change the date of your wedding !!  What kind of fan are you, anyway ?  Grin

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 18, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

Many thanks for the video PS, that was superb.  Just played it for my gf who last watched the Boys at their (in my opinion) frankly painful Reagan Foundation show. This was the diametric opposite - lively, fun and right on the money. This IS The Beach Boys. Can't wait to buy tickets! Glad to see Jeff Foskett there too btw.

I expect it'll be New Year before the dates are announced now?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:49:23 PM by elnombre » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 18, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

David's in the video, isn't he? 

Not this one. He wasn't there for the May sessions. This is patently from then - the YouTube video is from at least two sessions.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

Did they sample the drum beat from the original version at the beginning?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

I like how enthusiastic Bruce sings the 'Hey Now' part. :D
Oh and Mike's 'Hey Now's  kick ass!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:04:16 PM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 18, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

I didn't really get invested into whether they should reunite or not when talk started, but everything coming out this week has really pulled me in. Everything looks like it has been done with care, taste and passion. I hope all parties involved have a wonderful experience and can pass that along to the fans. I am really getting pumped for this!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 18, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »

I like how enthusiastic Bruce sings the 'Hey Now' part. :D

THIS!

Definitely made me realize how crucial & authentic Bruce's vocals are for the blend.

Mike's lead is just kickass. Listen to that rasp and vibrato in the 1st verse. He owns that vocal.

What a perfect way to start the reunion buzz. They sound GREAT.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 18, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »

Thanks a lot, PS!  But.......

"This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Hey, could one of you guys move over for a second and let me download this thing?  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

David's in the video, isn't he?  

Not this one. He wasn't there for the May sessions. This is patently from then - the YouTube video is from at least two sessions.

Wonder why he wasn't there in May.  Possibly they hadn't yet decided to include him?

But he is on the track says Jon.  My question is: why release this whole video "without David" when there is new video "with David".  
Shame, David should have played the guitar solo.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

Wow, they really seemed like a band together after all these.

Even more pumped.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: December 18, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »

My question is: why release this whole video "without David" when there is new video "with David".  Shame, David should have played the guitar solo.

I don't think this is what you'd exactly call an 'officially sanctioned release'.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 18, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »

My question is: why release this whole video "without David" when there is new video "with David".  Shame, David should have played the guitar solo.

I don't think this is what you'd exactly call an 'officially sanctioned release'.  Grin

The "Smile" tape thief at it again.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx