gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:40:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145245 times)
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »

I just hope to god that the new album doesn´t sound anything like "Beach Boys", "Still Cruisin", "Summer in paradise" or "Stars and Stripes"  Sad
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »

Argh! Yes! What a great time for me to really get back into my childhood faves! Cannot wait for more details!
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »

I must add though that the promo video does make them all sound a bit "computerised" if that's a word! It seems produced a bit too much, but maybe they have to do that now as they are much, much older!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »

I just wish that Brian had given us more encouraging signs over the past couple of years.

It's hard not to feel like, once again, the big man is being forced into something that's not quite what he wants to do.

Now, I'm not saying he's dead set against it or anything, and the tour and album could have some really nice moments. But Brian does have a way of telegraphing how he feels about certain projects when he's not in full-on promo mode, and he's sounded less than thrilled about this.

Brian looks really relaxed and comfortable in the video and he sounds great on the bridge. I dunno how much you can read into that but it certainly seems like he's positive about it despite what he's said in past interviews.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »

I just hope to god that the new album doesn´t sound anything like "Beach Boys", "Still Cruisin", "Summer in paradise" or "Stars and Stripes"  Sad

Let's face it, we're lucky if it's going to be as good as the M.I.U. Album both in terms of songwriting and overall production.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »

Could anybody make a screenshot of the boys all standing around one microphone ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »

Let's face it, we're lucky if it's going to be as good as the M.I.U. Album both in terms of songwriting and overall production.

What about "Imagination" with the BBs on vocals?

Actually, I could kind of go for that ... in 1998, that is ...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »

I think it would be cool if most of the songs,if not half,or even a couple,or hell even one (lol) have that 60's wall of sound feel we get with the Andy Paley sessions and today/summer days..
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »

Cheesy Whahaha... Al is standing on a box in the video Smiley Couldnt hey have lowered the microphone???
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

Anyone notice they have Al standing on a box?  LOL

Edit: Just noticed GaryO beat me by 8 minutes.  Cry
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:47:13 AM by pixletwin » Logged
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

Al on a box. Haha priceless. Some things never change.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »

Its Jeffrey Foskett in the last vocal booth.

To be clear; the musicians involved in the session presumably were Brett Simons (bass), Darian Sahanaja (keys), Nick Walusko (guitar), Scott Bennet (keys/guitar?) and Jeff Foskett (vocals) from Brians band, John Cowsill (drums) and Scott Totten (guitar) from Mikes band plus Gary Griffin (keys) who sometimes plays with Brian band live and on record. He used to be in the Beach Boys live band in the 90s I think. I believe David Marks was filmed for this promo video on a later date, I'm not sure he is on the actual track.

I hope more guys from the old days will contribute to recordings in the future (Carli Munoz, Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Matt Jardine!!!, Billy Hinsche!!!)

(Sorry pixletwin!! Smiley)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:58:44 AM by GuyO » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »

Some more...Notice two of the "group" shots around the mics are different groups and different microphones:

And Al on the box...I think they do this just to bait the fans who would spot such things Cheesy:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »

Thank you very much guitarfool !!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »

I'm with you on this. I'm hopeful as Brian is producing, I suspect he will do most of the arranging and I'm glad Joe Thomas' name has gone. It could go either way, but if Brian does the producing and arranging I think it'll be better than those. I think Brian's solo work may have proven to the other BBs that he can produce a sound that they'd be happy with. I hope Brian gets some percussion into the mix, that is the "spice" or as Zappa would say it adds the "eyebrows".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »

plus Gary Griffin (keys) who sometimes plays with Brian band live and on record.

To be agonizingly precise, Gary fills in for Darian when Mr. S. is unable (or unwilling) to do shows. I believe Billy Hinsche did the same for a European tour a few years back.

And yeah, for the Disney label records, Gary has also been part of the backing band with Darian.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »

i just noticed that Mike has his goutee in some shots while others he doesn't..so that means some of the footage could be months after the first footage..(Mikes beard is back..sounds like it could be a song)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »

I highly doubt Darian was involved in "Do It Again".

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

I'm glad Joe Thomas' name has gone.

I would say the fact that his name is absent from a press release doesn't mean much one way or another.

I very strongly suspect he's still involved, for a number of reasons.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Eddie Bayers definitely played the drums on Do It Again and David wasn't there, which means at least some of this footage is not from that session.

BUT WHATEVER! Why are we getting so nitpicky so early? the Beach Boys are back! I'm half thinking of making the trip to New Orleans just so I can see their debut reunion performance.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

plus Gary Griffin (keys) who sometimes plays with Brian band live and on record.

To be agonizingly precise, Gary fills in for Darian when Mr. S. is unable (or unwilling) to do shows. I believe Billy Hinsche did the same for a European tour a few years back.

And yeah, for the Disney label records, Gary has also been part of the backing band with Darian.

Gary was part of the BBs team as far back as MIU I believe. He's with Al from time to time as well. He was before he played with Brian iirc.

the Beach Boys are back! I'm half thinking of making the trip to New Orleans just so I can see their debut reunion performance.

Here's hoping for a DVD

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:08 PM »

i just noticed that Mike has his goutee in some shots while others he doesn't..so that means some of the footage could be months after the first footage..(Mikes beard is back..sounds like it could be a song)
Or, for conspiracy theorists, the same day if he brought a razor to the studio and Brian brought a change of shirts. But, yeah, you're probably right

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »

So what are the cities they're playing?HuhHuh?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »

I just hope they make it to Europe

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »

I have very little faith for this album, but even though I don't expect it to be that great it will probably be their best one since LA

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx